• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Uh, no.
Was just pissed off, was excited to kick back, watch some crime shows, and get some popcorn, than I get home and both doors are locked and I die inside.
Update: I got in, apparently I had never thought to knock on the door and my sister almost thought someone was trying to break in. Maybe I’m dumb.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All of this talk about Dark Souls and no one has brough up Cuphead or Crash Bandicoots.

'the **** guys?
Well Cuphead is a good example of accessability attempts gone wrong as you don't ACTUALLY win with easy mode. Cuphead forces you to beat it the 'correct' way but it fails to remember that most of the appeal for Cuphead pre release isn't the difficulty or gameplay, but the aesthetics. People who aren't able to perform well are forced to sit out or get frustrated and can't experience what made them want the game in the first place

D

Deleted member

At the same time your example uses what I call 'sucker punch' difficulty. It punches you right in the gut for something you couldn't see coming and wouldn't be able to prepare yourself with. Bam, the game sucker punches you, you just permanently lost a great resource. Dark Souls is designed around this so you constantly are able to prepare and walk around the sucker punch. In FE it can be "Mooks will appear, have fun" but in DS it's "That floor was a trap and killed me. This other floor looks pretty similar, I must walk around it"
Fair enough. I'll site less bull**** examples. Let's go to FE Radiant Dawn, which contains large maps with a lot of hard-hitting enemies. Or FE Conquest with sturdy enemies with a bunch of unique gimmicks or skills. Fire Emblem is a game that pays you to experiment to get better, but then encourages you to make safe decisions when being surrounded by thirty foes that can ruin a run. A mechanic that allows to save between maps, while broken, allows the player to mess around at their own pace to see what works and what doesn't without having to restart the map. This would save a lot of time while allowing you to learn more about the game.

In FE 4, the chapters were as big as three or four chapters in a current Fire Emblem game. They let you save inbetween maps because imagine ****ing up at the very end and restarting, causing you to waste an or two just because of one mistake. Why is this same mentality not brought over to the sequels, I'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Update: I got in, apparently I had never thought to knock on the door and my sister almost thought someone was trying to break in. Maybe I’m dumb.
The house lock equivalent of forgetting to plug in your computer and calling support anyway

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Cuphead, I feel like it's a good example of an easy mode being shoehorned in. The easy mode straight up locks you out of progressing, it's only real function is practice. It's clear that the devs intend and want you to play the ballbustingly hard regular mode, so I have to question why even bother including an easy mode in the first place. Why bother using that dev time? Obviously, I'm not the Cuphead devs, I don't know what they were thinking while making the easy mode, but it's something I observed.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
You want difficulty settings?
heres-what-dishonored-2s-custom-difficulties-let-you-adjust-1485301458812.jpg

2019_04_03_122445.png

Dishonored 2 has got you covered. :shades:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I played cuphead, did way better than all my friends in it, and stopped playing it randomly midway through lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Have you ever heard of "wanting content in the game without having to add it it myself"? Sure, we could mod any song under the sun into Smash. But that doesn't mean we want to. It'd be much more convenient for the song to already be in the game.
Plus, with how anti-mods the Switch is vs the Wii U... I do NOT want to risk a console ban tyvm

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah and besides polar panda did hear Lloyd’s Irving’s name the most
oh yeah that happened
blame my thread speed blindness okay

how you gonna forget :ultlink:

may not be explicitly stated but my mans totally at least partway gay have you seen how he dresses
Link is just fabulous
:ultbayonetta: While I haven’t played Bayonetta 2, that’s definitley not the vibe I got from Bayonetta 1. I definitley see it much more as a sisterly rivalry relationship.

:ultike: At the most bi, given that he has a blood descendant in Awakening.

:ultsamus: Lack of a sexual relationship with a man doesn’t equal automatic lesbian. She’s just a loner due to her past, and her sexuality hasn’t been explored because it doesn’t need to be.

:ultpokemontrainerf: Just a stretch overall, I’m going to say.

While I’m all for more representation in Smash, I don’t think that stretching things like this is the way to go.

EDIT: Also not sure on :ultsnake:. Same as what I said for Samus, except him and Meryl were implied to be romantic in MGS1. Him and Otacon are just straight boy best friend goals honestly.
Samus’ sexuality is Samus...

...Samussexual
Female Pokemon Trainer is 10 years old.
Not anymore

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hey guys, in 3 days my state is having a local major tourney, so if you want, watch it when it's streamed!

The link for all the info is here. Some friends of mine are going to be attending and I may be going too, so look out for that.

Captain Zack and maybe some other bigger players are also gonna be there.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would rather go to college than be an expert at games.
I fail to see the correlation there... Sounds like you're just trying to make sure everyone knows you're going to college. Which is weird.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Hey guys, in 3 days my state is having a local major tourney, so if you want, watch it when it's streamed!

The link for all the info is here. Some friends of mine are going to be attending and I may be going too, so look out for that.

Captain Zack and maybe some other bigger players are gonna be there.
We could all go there, and you wouldn't even know.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Scary thought....

A Youtube video I uploaded Monday is almost caught up in views to my first video

Which was posted in 2012.

I'm scared...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh **** Battle For The Grid is including 3 new characters for free outside of the season pass
Udonna was leaked and Dragon Armour Trini was teased in artwork but the 2017 movie ranger is nice surprise, he was the best part of that movie

D

Deleted member

I fail to see the correlation there... Sounds like you're just trying to make sure everyone knows you're going to college. Which is weird.
No need to take that post seriously. Also, that is not what I am trying to say. What if I do not go to college?

D

Deleted member

I would rather go to college than be an expert at games.
As someone who's doing both, it's pretty fun, if stressful. It's like dating Mary Jane and stopping criminals at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If your game's only appeal is being hard then maybe your game isn't that good
Agree up to a certain point, people forget that a lot of the NES era games (especially western versions) were designed or altered due to rentals meaning that they were made stupidly hard just so people would rent the game several times to beat it or just outright buy it. This was made since the games were rather short.

But also, a lot of the great games of this era while they are hard they are also quite fair for the most part which is what people like about them and continue talking about them to this day. For example Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Ghosts n Goblins while difficult they allow for pretty much unlimited retries in a level even without any lives.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Be careful with pulling stunts like that, or you might actually end up with Reggieboards 24/7. :p
Is it possible to change permissions to give a person permanent Reggieboards?

Is it possible to learn this power?

Also, on the topic of difficulty, Kingdom Hearts 2 has great difficulty options. You've got Beginner Mode, where you deal more damage, take less damage, and have some items and abilities to start, Standard, which is the base level, and Proud Mode, where you take more damage.

And then you've got Critical Mode, which is balls to the walls. You deal 1.25 more damage but take double damage. You get less HP and MP from level ups, but start out with more AP and get useful abilities to start with. And then you can play Level 1 Critical Mode where you can't level up and don't gain any abilities (minus those you get through the story), but damage scales to the world levels so you don't deal chip damage. It's the best way to play the game as far as I'm concerned.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Obligatory press F because Shaqboards, Emblemboards, etc. are unavailable for Premiums (I know those themes were pre upgrade but still :'V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom