• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Translation: You hacked your own bank account, bought SB premium, and selected Reggieboards from the style chooser.
There's a style chooser?

Huh.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Honestly, what I want in terms of Smashboards themes is more themes like the Project M one. Themes that make noticeable changes to the website's look instead of just changing the color of certain inconsequential things.

Like, look at this.

Project M Theme.

post 1.PNG

Smashboards default theme.

post 2.PNG

Smashboards Ruby theme.

post 3.PNG

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'd love to participate in this discussion for difficult games, but unfortunately I'm tired and I'll be leaving. But I will say this, I Wanna Be The Guy is the best troll difficulty game ever made and if you disagree with me then you should watch Floe's playthrough. Here's a small excerpt from it:

D

Deleted member

Well here's the thing... An easy mode doesn't affect me, but that's because easier difficulty modes are not the draws of any game. If I see a game is too daunting for my liking, I just wont play it until I feel I'm up for it. It's why I don't go into horror games like Resident Evil. I'm a chicken **** when it comes for horror and I'm not gonna demand that they add a sunshine and rainbows option. What you really want to be looking at is good difficulty curves, because that's where these games can fall apart through their gameplay.

Take Super Meat Boy, in which you're given short hard levels. You're gonna die over a 1000 times in that game, but it'll never feel like that because the levels are short and they're designed to gradually build up to the harder set pieces.

Also what do you define as fun? There are multiple genres of games, multiple consoles to choose from, multiple developers that suit different niches, etc. Some times I need a game that teaches me more about my abilities as a gamer and sometimes I like a casual stroll through my Animal Crossing village. Again, it's why I don't go into horror. It's some peoples cup of tea, but it ain't mine, and that's fine.
You're comparing a gaming genre to difficulty and that's just dumb. So what if someone likes horror but can't handle the difficilty of RE? Should people just not buy games they're interested in because "they're too hard"? What does blocking people from playing a game even accomplish? Why shouldn't games just have easy modes when you can still play the harder ones? This **** doesn't make any sense.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Pac-Man_Palette_(SSBU).png

The differences between all the Smashboards themes in a nutshell.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
After seeing again the names of the SB Themes I realized we need the theme that can beat them all:

SmashBoards Greg

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Easy modes should definitely not be seen as "training wheels", no one should be forced to eventually move to a harder difficulty. Phoenix Mode's existence is also ultimately harmless and the ****ting on it should really stop.
No one said anything about forcing. You're putting words in my mouth and giving them a connotation that I wasn't giving.

You can think what you want, but to me, Casual Mode is best served as a stepping stone, as it lets the player get comfortable with the general system which would then make them want to test their skills out in Classic. This also opens up more games for them, making playing FE1-11 a lot less daunting. That, I believe, is the strongest aspect of Casual Mode. It allows beginners a choice between staying safe, and branching out, and after branching out there are a lot more opportunities available to them.

And nah, I won't give Phoenix Mode a pass. Evidently even the devs thought it was a bad idea considering it was scrapped in the very next game. I'm all for difficulty options, but Phoenix was incredibly poorly designed.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No lie though, there’s a reason buying premium at all tends to get you memed on for wasting your money... lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want a direct.

Please Nintendo.

I've been a good boy this year.

D

Deleted member

No one said anything about forcing. You're putting words in my mouth and giving them a connotation that I wasn't giving.

You can think what you want, but to me, Casual Mode is best served as a stepping stone, as it lets the player get comfortable with the general system which would then make them want to test their skills out in Classic. This also opens up more games for them, making playing FE1-11 a lot less daunting. That, I believe, is the strongest aspect of Casual Mode. It allows beginners a choice between staying safe, and branching out, and after branching out there are a lot more opportunities available to them.

And nah, I won't give Phoenix Mode a pass. Evidently even the devs thought it was a bad idea considering it was scrapped in the very next game. I'm all for difficulty options, but Phoenix was incredibly poorly designed.
You're saying Easy Modes are "stepping stones" which means you're implying they're only something players should experience temporarily and shouldn't be their sole experience with the game.

And again, Phoenix Mode is ultimately harmless. Its existence does not affect the game in any way.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Guess the only advantage of Phoenix Mode is that you can send your least favorite unit to die over and over again :v

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's my take on Difficulty modes.
  1. If a game has difficulty settings, it shouldn't lock you out of major content for playing on the easiest difficulty, stuff like the bonus cutscenes in the FE7 epilogue I consider okay, but locking out half the game or more (like, say, the old Lion King game or Cuphead) is too far, it's archaic design, and was a **** move even back then. I feel Kingdom Hearts 3 strikes a good balance, your reward for playing on the hardest difficulty is an easier time accessing the secret cutscene (you don't need to collect as many Hidden Mickeys), but the players playing on Easy Mode aren't barred from seeing it.
  2. Some games simply can't be made easier in their released form without removing what makes them appealing in the first place; the example I'd use is Sonic Forces, the game is, by far, the easiest "Boost Formula" game, but that means it's horribly dumbed down (at least one or two Modern Sonic levels simply require you to hold boost with no further input, this is not good design, and all the levels are like a minute long, when old Sonic levels were only a minute long if you speedran them). Older Sonic games tied their difficulty to the different characters: in Sonic 3, Sonic Advance and Sonic Mania, Tails was the Easy Mode, because his ability to fly allows him to circumvent obstacles that give Sonic trouble.
  3. Having more difficulty modes is not inherently a bad thing, or an inherently good thing. It's just a thing Devs can do.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
On top of losing Premium privileges and the ability to gift premium? What a ****ing garbage upgrade
Hey Cortana play "The Hand that Feeds" by Nine Inch Nails.

No, The Hand That Feeds By Nine-- ****, stop listening. Stop-- No I don't want to play Qube 2!!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just like a game who is fun ya know? Hard or easy, if isn't fun, why bother?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I've always believed that games should have one set difficulty, as I really don't like difficulty selection. It shouldn't be the player's job to decide the way the game should be played.

However, I really like how Celeste handled it; one set difficulty with an assist mode for the players that need it. I think it's a good way to open your game up to the most amount of players even if it is pretty hard.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
No lie though, there’s a reason buying premium at all tends to get you memed on for wasting your money... lol
My premium is like a $100K diamond chain, I wear it to prove I have no spending priorities.

D

Deleted member

You're comparing a gaming genre to difficulty and that's just dumb. So what if someone likes horror but can't handle the difficilty of RE? Should people just not buy games they're interested in because "they're too hard"? What does blocking people from playing a game even accomplish? Why shouldn't games just have easy modes when you can still play the harder ones? This **** doesn't make any sense.
The game isn't "blocking you." If you're not willing to put up with the intentional difficulty, you just don't buy the game because it wasn't for you. Why force a game to conform to your demands when you can just find another game that does? That is the appeal of the free market.

Going back to Resident Evil, I don't want to play it because of it's difficulty in managing resources combined with its horror atmosphere. The two are deliberately connected because you can't have one without the either. You just oversimplified the general appeal of the series, which sums up my issues. Difficulty can enhance an experience because it gives you a goal you can't just steamroll through. It immerses you if you like the presentation of the game enough because the game and its world challenges who you are as a person. I don't find an easy mode offensive; I just think the games might not be for you if you can't handle them. That's why I brought up different genres or developers. You have the ability to not waste your time if you see something you wont enjoy.

Does this excuse bad design choices? No, but how deliberate difficulty affects games and actually bad difficulty are two different topics, and I just want to focus on the former.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I thought the main advantage was representing your clients in a court of law, but okay

>tfw the second part of Genealogy Of The Holy War could have been avoided if Sigurd hired Phoenix as attorney.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Honestly, what I want in terms of Smashboards themes is more themes like the Project M one. Themes that make noticeable changes to the website's look instead of just changing the color of certain inconsequential things.

Like, look at this.

Project M Theme.

View attachment 204299

Smashboards default theme.

View attachment 204300

Smashboards Ruby theme.

View attachment 204301
I miss some of the old school set ups. Some of you lifers will probably remember some of these. I like the original:

The original:
Capture.PNG

Circa 2004
Capture2.PNG

Circa 2008
Capture3.PNG

On top of losing Premium privileges and the ability to gift premium? What a ****ing garbage upgrade
I feel you. I miss the bigger avatars.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had a terrifying thought.

If/when the next Smash game is announced, out of the ether will come people who demand that the classic mode be more like Smash WiiU's, citing it as the best one.

KMDP

Smash Legend

You're saying Easy Modes are "stepping stones" which means you're implying they're only something players should experience temporarily and shouldn't be their sole experience with the game.

And again, Phoenix Mode is ultimately harmless. Its existence does not affect the game in any way.
The thing about Phoenix Mode is that it's kind of insulting to the intelligence of the player?

If your units are dying so often that you need Phoenix Mode, then you aren't playing the game right, like, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom