• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Not from a ****poster.

(but yes technically I can change someone's profile to lock them into the Reggieboards skin :p )
Remember on the old version of Smashboards when people who had premium could use any of the April Fool's skins whenever they wanted?

Good times.

D

Deleted member

Well here's the thing. You're technically right, but most good hard games don't rely solely on its difficulty. People brought up Dark Souls having good ambiance and world building. Cuphead's presentation is beautifully animated. Mike Tyson's Punch Out lets you fight mother-****ing iron Mike Tyson while also having a neat set of quirky characters. Their presentations help you push through the challenges because your goal is to see more, which is an intelligent way to get players to self-motivate themselves.

Plus these games have difficulty curves. They're meant to kick your *** in a way that's unique and (usually) fair. A large part of the charm is being given a toolset and then working out the problems as they gradually grow bigger. If you succeed, the satisfaction is amazing because only your skills and clever thinking could pull it off.
I disagree. I feel like difficulty and the challenge implies can be pretty good if executed well. The difference between the majority of Super Mario Maker, and exclusively playing expert in Rock Band.

Obviously those are just examples of quality of the difficulty in each- both definitely have appeals other than the potential difficulty.

But my point is, you can take virtually anything within reason and turn it into a concept for a game, and it always has the potential to be good if executed properly.

Something I like to remember: I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game

It’s one of those “irritate you” difficulty games where you’re meant to die to proceed, because there are traps everywhere. After figuring the level out, it’s pretty easy. However it doesn’t end up getting any less “irritating”. And yet, I get lots of entertainment out of it regardless, which is one of the primary purposes of video game media

Alternatively:
lol that’s subjective and most “difficult” games aren’t just that anyway
You two missed my whole point, I never said those games' only appeal was the difficulty, but if it was, they'd be bad.
The thing is, most of the time, you still have a good game if you take away the difficulty. Dark Souls is fun to me because of the heavily customizable action RPG gameplay with a cool aesthetic and fun combat, not because it's hard and I'd enjoy it much more if I didn't get stuck on a section for more than an hour and then stop playing because I just get frustrated.

Also, as fun as I Wanna Be The Guy may be, I'd never call it a well-designed game by any means tbh.

D

Deleted member

You two missed my whole point, I never said those games' only appeal was the difficulty, but if it was, they'd be bad.
The thing is, most of the time, you still have a good game if you take away the difficulty. Dark Souls is fun to me because of the heavily customizable action RPG gameplay with a cool aesthetic and fun combat, not because it's hard and I'd enjoy it much more if I didn't get stuck on a section for more than an hour and then stop playing because I just get frustrated.

Also, as fun as I Wanna Be The Guy may be, I'd never call it a well-designed game by any means tbh.
Yeah. I figure there's a bunch of bad hard games. A lot of old NES games did that as a way to extend game time. Though, they're products beyond their time so they're not good examples of bad hard games usually.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I didn’t say it was well designed... :p but I don’t think that’s the only factor in what makes a game good.

And I’m sure you’ve seen my previous posts where I mentioned I’m heavily in favor of options for accessibility

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For my views on difficulty, I'll use Fire Emblem as an example.

I'm of the opinion that permadeath is a fundamental aspect of Fire Emblem, and a big part of its appeal. It makes the player think strategically, lest they lose not just a unit, but a character that they've come to know. Someone with a name, a story. And then you, as the player, need to make a choice. Do you accept the loss and move on, or do you reset and lose your current progress, but keep the character alive?

New Mystery of the Emblem introduced Casual Mode, which is a nice thing to have for accessibility purposes. It was kept in Awakening for a reason. It acts as a set of "training wheels," of sorts, so that if ever the player wants to try out Classic Mode, it's less daunting. It lowers the entry bar. The knocked out unit is just out of commission for the rest of the chapter.

Fates, however, took this a step further and added Phoenix Mode in addition to Classic and Casual. Phoenix Mode revives any lost character on the very next turn, not at the chapter's end. This basically renders the game unloseable unless you somehow get your entire army wiped out in a single turn, or if Corrin dies. That's not accessibility, but instead removing any sort of challenge whatsoever. In Casual Mode you still have to think tactically, but not so much in Phoenix.

Phoenix Mode was taken out come Shadows of Valentia, and instead we got Mila's Turnwheel, a great quality of life feature. If you just made one dumb mistake or got hit by an unlucky crit, you can back up a few turns and rethink things. It's basically like a save state option built in, but it also has limited uses, especially early on. A fair compromise of convenience vs difficulty.

D

Deleted member

Agree up to a certain point, people forget that a lot of the NES era games (especially western versions) were designed or altered due to rentals meaning that they were made stupidly hard just so people would rent the game several times to beat it or just outright buy it. This was made since the games were rather short.

But also, a lot of the great games of this era while they are hard they are also quite fair for the most part which is what people like about them and continue talking about them to this day. For example Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Ghosts n Goblins while difficult they allow for pretty much unlimited retries in a level even without any lives.
But did that difficulty make any of those games MORE fun? Castlevania's difficulty was good for NES standards but that doesn't mean it was the best it could(and I'm sorry but Ninja Gaiden and GnG are the opposite of fair).
Even if you personally like harder games, how does giving the option for players who don't like that affevt you in any way?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Obligatory press F because Shaqboards, Emblemboards, etc. are unavailable for Premiums (I know those themes were pre upgrade but still :'V)
We need more premium benefits but the forum upgrade crippled the concept we know only as “a good time”

D

Deleted member

@faygoshill
What is your signature supposed to be?
T̷̡̛̹̤̠̖͆̔̔̄̉͆̄͊͑̎̆̑͝H̸̢̛̫̪̝̭̣͔̙͍̞̭̗͈̮̃̀̉̑͘ͅÉ̶̳͌̚͘͝͝͠ ̴̧̛̛̼̼̙̳̟̞̠͓̉̀̄́͗̄͠͠Ą̸̡̻̘̦̫͉͙̮̬̓̀̀̉͂͑ͅR̵̢̛̝̦͇͎͔̺̪̓̓̌̐̏̿͑̅̅͠͠R̷͚͇͇̟̭͍̬̳͖͎̥̝̀̿̏͋̌͜I̶̧̙͉̪̭̗̣̟͈͊̓͋͛̔̓͝V̸̛̖͔̮̇̄̍̒́̾͂̊̕̕Á̷̰̗̙̋̐͘L̸̢͙̠͕͎͇̘̆̓̋̈́͗͗̏͑̈́̃̈̏͝
̸̢̝̥̼͉̥̄̿̎̍̎͊̇̑͑͑̎̿̕͝ͅ
̶̢͉͉̣͍̱͈̀̍̅̈̋̂̚Ţ̴̢̢̮̠͓̜̟̇̍H̴͓̫̠̖̣͚̤͇̼̭̰̺̼̍͐̈̓͊̇͠Ę̴͉͍͍̩̫͇̗͔̫̫̮͉̿̋͆͋̓͛͛͊̈̑̀̽̕͠ ̶̖̺̥̰͚̀̍͑͒̈́͗́̈́́͠͠C̶̡̢̛͔̜̺̳̯͚̣͇͖͕̳̩͋̌̾̚͝ͅO̸̧̹̺͊̏̾͑͑͊̄͂̽̔͌̄̒͗͝M̴̡̛̱̬͉͚̠̩͉̠̖͕̠͓̪̎I̶̢̢̨͓̦̯͕̠̝͇̗̮͐͆͜N̷̨̞̲͚̝̪̰̮͇̞̬̣̮͎͈̾̑̑͂͒͂̈́͑̅͊͐̽̈͝G̶͌̑͆̇͆̅̓̕͝ͅ
̷̩́̈́̋̏̍̾̈̑̂͑́
̸̟̘̗̥̖̫̋̎̀̌̐̾̊͠T̸͎̩̊̅̾̾Ḧ̸͓͇͙̣̞̙̦́̋͒̌͛͂͌͝Ẽ̴͈͓̗̗͎̰̘̮̉̌̕͘̕ ̴̩̜̿̈̀͛͊̆̃́̈͠R̵̨̪̪̟̝͇̩͈̄͂͊͐̾̏̔̈̕̕A̶̢̜͎͙̳̖̫͐ͅP̷̡͈̖̦̹̱̮͔̤̿̌̍̈́̍͂̉̏̈́́͑̾͌̈́T̶̡̢̖͚͖͔͔͙̾̆́̀̓̏̏U̴̡̢̖̼͚͙̦̗̲̟̞̗͓͊̀̑̓̓̿R̸̨̙̤͓̖̱̰̰͉̲̝̲̟͛̑̉̀̊̎͛̈̓̓̅̃̄͊̈ͅḘ̸̢̗̓̓̃͒͋̈́͂̀͝͝͠ ̷̛̗̪̺̞̍̕Ọ̷̜̭͇̺̤̠̞̱̰́͒̒̊F̶̢̛̮̜̲̼́̀̂̋̽͗̽̔͘͜͝͝ ̷͉̥͙̑̔̆̌A̸͕̤̓̋͜L̷̛̖̎͛̈́̇̾͛̈́̕͝L̴̛̛͚̜̳̩̤̂̇̿̽̒̓̊̿̈̕͘͠ ̴̡̢̗̭̤͔͇̦̰̬̇̆̚̕Ț̸̩̗̦̳̬͍̯̦̪̥̠͊̈́H̶̡̲̻̝͓͓͖̝̮̗̬̤̭̖͗̎͜A̵͕̱͍̯͍̣̩̘͓̿͌́͂̒͌̚͝T̸̛͓͆̀̿̃͛̀̍̓͆̕̕͘͜͝͠ ̵̢̡̦̥̼͎͇̻̗̠̱̫́̌̎͊̎͋̃̍̕͝ͅI̷̛̫̯̭͓͙̙̔̓̽̓̉̄͌̃̆͜͝͝ͅŠ̵̯͍̰̺̞̺̾͗́ͅ ̵̢̡̲̪̰̰͎̞̮̤̜̯̙̋͆̃͆͊̈̀͆̍͂́̚̚͝ͅȌ̴̧̗̭̠̪̗̱͕̦̬͖̲͛͗̿͆̍̐͂͝L̴̫̖͗̾̊͐̚D̵̢̧̨̧̢̙̙͈̱̯͉͚͔̰͂̒̽̓͆̀̆͋̿͌̄́͊͑̚,̶̡̗̝̞̪̮͍͒͆͗͐̓̈́͂ ̸̱̪̂̎̂͠͝A̶̢̡̛̰̟̣͇̫̘̜̺̐N̷͉̭͚͛͗͗̀́̈̎̈́̚͘͜D̵̨̻̗̥̺̝̦͋͂͘͠ ̸̧̛̑̎̀̕Ț̵̡̟̞͍̞̯͓̲̹̹̬͌̀͆̿́̈́̇́͆̕͘Ḩ̸̢͙̭̤̜̙̭͌̋̈́E̷̢̡͇̜͍͙̍͆͒ ̵̢̼̲̯̗̦͍̙̖͙̥̥͛͗̽́͆̓̍̅̀̌͆̈́̏̚͠R̸̨̧̥͎̱̳͎̩̰̠̲̺̥͒̑͛̾͝E̴̢̱͖͚̞̮͈̗̰̟̣̭̝̿̉͘̕͘P̷̠̯̲̯̱̯̓̇͌͂̀̈́͌ͅL̶̟̬͚͙̔͂͐̏͒̃A̸̡̳̺͖̬̳͝ͅĈ̵̢̯͙̗̥̬̦̠̝̹̘̲̆̍ͅE̵̺̕Ḿ̴̪̄̐̃̚͠͠ͅË̶̡̡̢̛̟͎̮̦̞̯͍̥̰̹͍̿̒͊̽̃͜͠͝N̴̨̟͉̖̳̖̥̩̜̻̋̂̇̎̊͝T̴̨̨̯̻̗̥̪͍̬͔̳͍̟͚̀͌̀̍͊̆̚͘͜͝͝ ̴̺̂̃̃̆̈́̌̂͋̐̐͋͘͝Ŏ̶̯͉̦͌̏̓͋̕͘͝F̸̡̰̤̥̗͖͉̥̪̞̞̤́̋͜͠ͅ ̴̳̠̟͓͚̥̓̑͗͋̈́̉͋̃̽̅̕̕̚̕̕T̷̮̰͈̱̆̆͋̑̀̃̑̈́̾̏͜͝Ḩ̴̱̘̟̮͚̠̜̣̤͓̫̔̉͒̉̕ͅͅĖ̷̛͉̟̜̤̤̤͛͋̍́͐͑̆ ̶̗͊̽̽̔N̷͕̥̱͌̉É̶̖͇͕̞͑̄͆̆͒͋͂͝W̴͖̲̹̙̓̅̈̌͌̋́͑͝ ̶̮̬͒̍̑̒͗̏͆̉̾Ẁ̷̧̥́̍̈Ǫ̵̱͚͎̞͈̹̮̥̫̦͂́̒̓͛̈́̀́̿̿́̿́̚R̴̖͌̍́͛͆L̸̛͙̣͎̱̼̰̣̘̔̿̆̽́̀̓̍̐̂͠͝D̷͚̓͗̀͛̋̊̑͒

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know, all this talk of difficulty reminds me that when Mass Effect 3 came out I was quite a bit less open-minded and quite a bit more of a ****. If the BSN were still a thing I'm sure I could find some somewhat condescending posts from 2011 regarding "narrative difficulty" and adding multiplayer nobody asked for.

Good thing people change.

D

Deleted member

For my views on difficulty, I'll use Fire Emblem as an example.

I'm of the opinion that permadeath is a fundamental aspect of Fire Emblem, and a big part of its appeal. It makes the player think strategically, lest they lose not just a unit, but a character that they've come to know. Someone with a name, a story. And then you, as the player, need to make a choice. Do you accept the loss and move on, or do you reset and lose your current progress, but keep the character alive?

New Mystery of the Emblem introduced Casual Mode, which is a nice thing to have for accessibility purposes. It was kept in Awakening for a reason. It acts as a set of "training wheels," of sorts, so that if ever the player wants to try out Classic Mode, it's less daunting. It lowers the entry bar. The knocked out unit is just out of commission for the rest of the chapter.

Fates, however, took this a step further and added Phoenix Mode in addition to Classic and Casual. Phoenix Mode revives any lost character on the very next turn, not at the chapter's end. This basically renders the game unloseable unless you somehow get your entire army wiped out in a single turn, or if Corrin dies. That's not accessibility, but instead removing any sort of challenge whatsoever. In Casual Mode you still have to think tactically, but not so much in Phoenix.

Phoenix Mode was taken out come Shadows of Valentia, and instead we got Mila's Turnwheel, a great quality of life feature. If you just made one dumb mistake or got hit by an unlucky crit, you can back up a few turns and rethink things. It's basically like a save state option built in, but it also has limited uses, especially early on. A fair compromise of convenience vs difficulty.
Easy modes should definitely not be seen as "training wheels", no one should be forced to eventually move to a harder difficulty. Phoenix Mode's existence is also ultimately harmless and the ****ting on it should really stop.

D

Deleted member

T̷̡̛̹̤̠̖͆̔̔̄̉͆̄͊͑̎̆̑͝H̸̢̛̫̪̝̭̣͔̙͍̞̭̗͈̮̃̀̉̑͘ͅÉ̶̳͌̚͘͝͝͠ ̴̧̛̛̼̼̙̳̟̞̠͓̉̀̄́͗̄͠͠Ą̸̡̻̘̦̫͉͙̮̬̓̀̀̉͂͑ͅR̵̢̛̝̦͇͎͔̺̪̓̓̌̐̏̿͑̅̅͠͠R̷͚͇͇̟̭͍̬̳͖͎̥̝̀̿̏͋̌͜I̶̧̙͉̪̭̗̣̟͈͊̓͋͛̔̓͝V̸̛̖͔̮̇̄̍̒́̾͂̊̕̕Á̷̰̗̙̋̐͘L̸̢͙̠͕͎͇̘̆̓̋̈́͗͗̏͑̈́̃̈̏͝
̸̢̝̥̼͉̥̄̿̎̍̎͊̇̑͑͑̎̿̕͝ͅ
̶̢͉͉̣͍̱͈̀̍̅̈̋̂̚Ţ̴̢̢̮̠͓̜̟̇̍H̴͓̫̠̖̣͚̤͇̼̭̰̺̼̍͐̈̓͊̇͠Ę̴͉͍͍̩̫͇̗͔̫̫̮͉̿̋͆͋̓͛͛͊̈̑̀̽̕͠ ̶̖̺̥̰͚̀̍͑͒̈́͗́̈́́͠͠C̶̡̢̛͔̜̺̳̯͚̣͇͖͕̳̩͋̌̾̚͝ͅO̸̧̹̺͊̏̾͑͑͊̄͂̽̔͌̄̒͗͝M̴̡̛̱̬͉͚̠̩͉̠̖͕̠͓̪̎I̶̢̢̨͓̦̯͕̠̝͇̗̮͐͆͜N̷̨̞̲͚̝̪̰̮͇̞̬̣̮͎͈̾̑̑͂͒͂̈́͑̅͊͐̽̈͝G̶͌̑͆̇͆̅̓̕͝ͅ
̷̩́̈́̋̏̍̾̈̑̂͑́
̸̟̘̗̥̖̫̋̎̀̌̐̾̊͠T̸͎̩̊̅̾̾Ḧ̸͓͇͙̣̞̙̦́̋͒̌͛͂͌͝Ẽ̴͈͓̗̗͎̰̘̮̉̌̕͘̕ ̴̩̜̿̈̀͛͊̆̃́̈͠R̵̨̪̪̟̝͇̩͈̄͂͊͐̾̏̔̈̕̕A̶̢̜͎͙̳̖̫͐ͅP̷̡͈̖̦̹̱̮͔̤̿̌̍̈́̍͂̉̏̈́́͑̾͌̈́T̶̡̢̖͚͖͔͔͙̾̆́̀̓̏̏U̴̡̢̖̼͚͙̦̗̲̟̞̗͓͊̀̑̓̓̿R̸̨̙̤͓̖̱̰̰͉̲̝̲̟͛̑̉̀̊̎͛̈̓̓̅̃̄͊̈ͅḘ̸̢̗̓̓̃͒͋̈́͂̀͝͝͠ ̷̛̗̪̺̞̍̕Ọ̷̜̭͇̺̤̠̞̱̰́͒̒̊F̶̢̛̮̜̲̼́̀̂̋̽͗̽̔͘͜͝͝ ̷͉̥͙̑̔̆̌A̸͕̤̓̋͜L̷̛̖̎͛̈́̇̾͛̈́̕͝L̴̛̛͚̜̳̩̤̂̇̿̽̒̓̊̿̈̕͘͠ ̴̡̢̗̭̤͔͇̦̰̬̇̆̚̕Ț̸̩̗̦̳̬͍̯̦̪̥̠͊̈́H̶̡̲̻̝͓͓͖̝̮̗̬̤̭̖͗̎͜A̵͕̱͍̯͍̣̩̘͓̿͌́͂̒͌̚͝T̸̛͓͆̀̿̃͛̀̍̓͆̕̕͘͜͝͠ ̵̢̡̦̥̼͎͇̻̗̠̱̫́̌̎͊̎͋̃̍̕͝ͅI̷̛̫̯̭͓͙̙̔̓̽̓̉̄͌̃̆͜͝͝ͅŠ̵̯͍̰̺̞̺̾͗́ͅ ̵̢̡̲̪̰̰͎̞̮̤̜̯̙̋͆̃͆͊̈̀͆̍͂́̚̚͝ͅȌ̴̧̗̭̠̪̗̱͕̦̬͖̲͛͗̿͆̍̐͂͝L̴̫̖͗̾̊͐̚D̵̢̧̨̧̢̙̙͈̱̯͉͚͔̰͂̒̽̓͆̀̆͋̿͌̄́͊͑̚,̶̡̗̝̞̪̮͍͒͆͗͐̓̈́͂ ̸̱̪̂̎̂͠͝A̶̢̡̛̰̟̣͇̫̘̜̺̐N̷͉̭͚͛͗͗̀́̈̎̈́̚͘͜D̵̨̻̗̥̺̝̦͋͂͘͠ ̸̧̛̑̎̀̕Ț̵̡̟̞͍̞̯͓̲̹̹̬͌̀͆̿́̈́̇́͆̕͘Ḩ̸̢͙̭̤̜̙̭͌̋̈́E̷̢̡͇̜͍͙̍͆͒ ̵̢̼̲̯̗̦͍̙̖͙̥̥͛͗̽́͆̓̍̅̀̌͆̈́̏̚͠R̸̨̧̥͎̱̳͎̩̰̠̲̺̥͒̑͛̾͝E̴̢̱͖͚̞̮͈̗̰̟̣̭̝̿̉͘̕͘P̷̠̯̲̯̱̯̓̇͌͂̀̈́͌ͅL̶̟̬͚͙̔͂͐̏͒̃A̸̡̳̺͖̬̳͝ͅĈ̵̢̯͙̗̥̬̦̠̝̹̘̲̆̍ͅE̵̺̕Ḿ̴̪̄̐̃̚͠͠ͅË̶̡̡̢̛̟͎̮̦̞̯͍̥̰̹͍̿̒͊̽̃͜͠͝N̴̨̟͉̖̳̖̥̩̜̻̋̂̇̎̊͝T̴̨̨̯̻̗̥̪͍̬͔̳͍̟͚̀͌̀̍͊̆̚͘͜͝͝ ̴̺̂̃̃̆̈́̌̂͋̐̐͋͘͝Ŏ̶̯͉̦͌̏̓͋̕͘͝F̸̡̰̤̥̗͖͉̥̪̞̞̤́̋͜͠ͅ ̴̳̠̟͓͚̥̓̑͗͋̈́̉͋̃̽̅̕̕̚̕̕T̷̮̰͈̱̆̆͋̑̀̃̑̈́̾̏͜͝Ḩ̴̱̘̟̮͚̠̜̣̤͓̫̔̉͒̉̕ͅͅĖ̷̛͉̟̜̤̤̤͛͋̍́͐͑̆ ̶̗͊̽̽̔N̷͕̥̱͌̉É̶̖͇͕̞͑̄͆̆͒͋͂͝W̴͖̲̹̙̓̅̈̌͌̋́͑͝ ̶̮̬͒̍̑̒͗̏͆̉̾Ẁ̷̧̥́̍̈Ǫ̵̱͚͎̞͈̹̮̥̫̦͂́̒̓͛̈́̀́̿̿́̿́̚R̴̖͌̍́͛͆L̸̛͙̣͎̱̼̰̣̘̔̿̆̽́̀̓̍̐̂͠͝D̷͚̓͗̀͛̋̊̑͒
more like the rapture of ur mum am i right guys

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
In short: you guys aren’t allowed to like things I don’t like- and you better LOVE things that I DO like

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 204274
KMDP KMDP xD Remember what you asked for that had Kirby riding on Ridley's head and him looking frustrated? XP Well, let's say that Kirby could not get EVEN close to riding him!
Heeheehee.

Not wholesome like I intended, but much funnier. :laugh:
Remember on the old version of Smashboards when people who had premium could use any of the April Fool's skins whenever they wanted?

Good times.
Hmm...

*has a brainwave*

What if we had Smashboards themes based on actual Smash Bros. characters.

Smashboards Mario, Smashboards Luigi, Smashboards Peach, Smashboards Samus, Smashboards Ridley

etc etc

Just a random thought.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
In short: you guys aren’t allowed to like things I don’t like- and you better LOVE things that I DO like
If you are not a perfect clone of me in terms of likes and dislikes, you can get the **** outta my sight.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hmm...

*has a brainwave*

What if we had Smashboards themes based on actual Smash Bros. characters.

Smashboards Mario, Smashboards Luigi, Smashboards Peach, Smashboards Samus, Smashboards Ridley

etc etc

Just a random thought.
Hmmm. Seems like a lot of work, but I can't deny I would enjoy the idea.

Especially if it means I get a Joker theme.

D

Deleted member

But did that difficulty make any of those games MORE fun? Castlevania's difficulty was good for NES standards but that doesn't mean it was the best it could(and I'm sorry but Ninja Gaiden and GnG are the opposite of fair).
Even if you personally like harder games, how does giving the option for players who don't like that affevt you in any way?
I meant fair in regards of being able to challenge again the levels multiple times, as continues were limited in several games, and agree a lot parts are a bit unfair but also are satisfying when you beat them. Probably GnG was a bad example but in the case of NG, the sequel ironed a few of the cheap spots that the original had (3 dropped the ball hard when it came to continues though).

One of my favorite series is Contra, which is rather short, but the burst of adrenaline you get when you are dealing with everything on screen and beating the game is something that I can't get with that many games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Translation: You hacked your own bank account, bought SB premium, and selected Reggieboards from the style chooser.
But you can't choose April Fool's themes in the style chooser anymore. Wasn't that one of the features we lost in the transition to the new Smashboards?

D

Deleted member

Well here's the thing... An easy mode doesn't affect me, but that's because easier difficulty modes are not the draws of any game. If I see a game is too daunting for my liking, I just wont play it until I feel I'm up for it. It's why I don't go into horror games like Resident Evil. I'm a chicken **** when it comes for horror and I'm not gonna demand that they add a sunshine and rainbows option. What you really want to be looking at is good difficulty curves, because that's where these games can fall apart through their gameplay.

Take Super Meat Boy, in which you're given short hard levels. You're gonna die over a 1000 times in that game, but it'll never feel like that because the levels are short and they're designed to gradually build up to the harder set pieces.

Also what do you define as fun? There are multiple genres of games, multiple consoles to choose from, multiple developers that suit different niches, etc. Some times I need a game that teaches me more about my abilities as a gamer and sometimes I like a casual stroll through my Animal Crossing village. Again, it's why I don't go into horror. It's some peoples cup of tea, but it ain't mine, and that's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But you can't choose April Fool's themes in the style chooser anymore. Wasn't that one of the features we lost in the transition to the new Smashboards?
We lost the old ones in the upgrade, but the new one should be there.

Maybe I just see it bc of administrative privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom