• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I miss some of the old school set ups. Some of you lifers will probably remember some of these. I like the original:

I feel you. I miss the bigger avatars.
Y'all should talk about getting some new themes up in here. Not saying the classic Smashboards look ain't great, but some options that are more than just changing the hex code of links would be rad.

Also, I agree, the classic look is pretty cool. Nice and retro. Not too busy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I love the Horror genre in general, yet I've never really played a Horror video game before...

Unless you count Left 4 Dead. There's also FNaF 2 that I've played, but most of the game's scares wear out really quickly, especially since the AI is much more aggressive than it was in the first one (well, that and because the 2D sprite jumpscares can be rather hard to take seriously after a while, imo).

I do have Amnesia: The Dark Descent, so sooner or later I'll be playing that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I miss some of the old school set ups. Some of you lifers will probably remember some of these. I like the original:

Like... was the upgrade just for performance reasons then?
Cause I actually miss the groups feature.

I was saying before we should just make a new forum system from scratch :p

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The thing about Phoenix Mode is that it's kind of insulting to the intelligence of the player?

If your units are dying so often that you need Phoenix Mode, then you aren't playing the game right, like, at all.
Honestly you're not even really playing the game at that point. If there's no consequences for your actions, why think about what you do?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I love the Horror genre in general, yet I've never really played a Horror video game before...

Unless you count Left 4 Dead. There's also FNaF 2 that I've played, but most of the game's scares wear out really quickly, especially since the AI is much more aggressive than it was in the first one (well, that and because the 2D sprite jumpscares can be rather hard to take seriously after a while, imo).

I do have Amnesia: The Dark Descent, so sooner or later I'll be playing that.
My favorite genre of horror games is RPG Maker horror games.

Stuff like The Witch's House, Mad Father, Misao, The Crooked Man... Those games are sweet. To this day, Ib remains one of my favorite games of all time.

D

Deleted member

i'll midnight sun you, i'll midnight sun your mom, i'll midnight sun your waifu

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The thing about Phoenix Mode is that it's kind of insulting to the intelligence of the player?

If your units are dying so often that you need Phoenix Mode, then you aren't playing the game right, like, at all.
I can play FE just fine, I just picked Phoenix Mode because I didnt feel like having my best units die perm or retreat. Simple? Yes. Stupid of me, yes. Less stress from a person who gets stressed easy, yes

But ai was playing conquest so it was alright better then the mostly easy Birthright

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The game isn't "blocking you." If you're not willing to put up with the intentional difficulty, you just don't buy the game because it wasn't for you. Why force a game to conform to your demands when you can just find another game that does? That is the appeal of the free market.
Difficulty shouldn't be a reason to say a game "isn't for you". Some people just don't have the time or ability or whatever needed to attain the skill needed for a high-difficulty game, but that shouldn't mean they shouldn't be able to play the game at all. Just giving people more options for how they want to play the game doesn't do anyone any harm; the vast majority of design considerations like this aimed at accessibility or making the game easier to get into are just good design principles in general, so following them should result in a game that's more fun for everyone, which is ultimately a good thing.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You're saying Easy Modes are "stepping stones" which means you're implying they're only something players should experience temporarily and shouldn't be their sole experience with the game.

And again, Phoenix Mode is ultimately harmless. Its existence does not affect the game in any way.
The biggest problem with Phoenix Mode is that I fails as a means to teach the player strategy and learning from mistakes. If you lose a unit on classic or casual, they're gone, they can't gain experience, they can't contribute to your strategy and you're fundamentally at a disadvantage. So in that situation you're forced to make a choice: either move on with that disadvantage and risk crippling your team or restarting and learning from the mistake that led to their loss. It's a way to make the player adjust to the gameplay and become better at the strategy. Phoenix Mode fundamentally ruins that since due to the unit always being brought back there's nothing forcing you to learn from your mistakes. The characters are always going to be brought back so the player isn't at a loss or disadvantage in and isn't forced to grow as a player. It's a fundamentally flawed mode that goes against how FE should be played and it's no surprise that it was removed in the next game.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Fnaf 3 jumpscares were my favorite.

Dude just casually approaches you

D

Deleted member

Frankly the only thing that bothers me somewhat difficulty-wise is the awful balance of it.

While I like playing games in either normal or hard, sometimes its hard getting into them due to how poorly the difficulty is managed through the game. Games like Nier Automata or the OG Mass Effect, are quite hard early on but become easier no matter the difficulty. I was turned off Automata hard mode due to how unforgiving the intro chapter was (long story short, if you die you have to restart the game and enemies can kill you in one or two hits in hard mode) so I ended up switching up to Normal for that part which was more annoying than anything else especially since there is an additional difficulty where the enemies kill you in one hit. But even then, post the intro the game just becomes relatively easy as I just died pretty rarely. Mass Effect just have you become overpowered by playing the game, that by the end the only way for enemies to kill you is with missiles.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
2008ish boards were the best just for that Bowser Shell.

The Funny Brawl pics thread was a blast and the thing I enjoyed the most back when I was a lurker.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
People should be able to play a game they bought on a mindnumbingly easy difficulty if it exists in the game without being ridiculed

Like... people can consume their media however they want

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Like... was the upgrade just for performance reasons then?
Cause I actually miss the groups feature.

I was saying before we should just make a new forum system from scratch :p
It was a complete forum software upgrade. Xenforo 1 to Xenforo 2.

The groups are archived in case we get that functionality back.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m sorry guys I just really need some info on...well everything.

Sword and Shield, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, Persona 5 S, I’m hungry for news.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Sounds like a typical run of Death Road to Canada for me.
that happend to me once. one person said "this ***** gotta go, they are holding us back" So I picked a person I didnt care about then something happend and all of the sudden I was down to one person right after kicking the person out. at that point I gave up and let him die

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Difficulty shouldn't be a reason to say a game "isn't for you". Some people just don't have the time or ability or whatever needed to attain the skill needed for a high-difficulty game, but that shouldn't mean they shouldn't be able to play the game at all. Just giving people more options for how they want to play the game doesn't do anyone any harm; the vast majority of design considerations like this aimed at accessibility or making the game easier to get into are just good design principles in general, so following them should result in a game that's more fun for everyone, which is ultimately a good thing.
Objectively, I agree that easy modes are something developers should consider because more accessibility equals more cash-money.

The entire point of my posts is this:

Do I think easy modes are good? Yes. Do I think they're necessary for a game to be good? No.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
People should be able to play a game they bought on a mindnumbingly easy difficulty if it exists in the game without being ridiculed

Like... people can consume their media however they want
naw fam, You gotta play the game on the hardest difficulty possable, why bother if you arent playing on a difficulty that would prob stress you out? /s

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

We just have screenshots of the old looks lying around? :laugh:

I have to say that, in my opinion, the original looks kind of bad. Sorry, Cyn.

Also, speaking of themes, I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a Pink theme (you could call it "Smashboards Pearl"); I mean, I'm happy with Ruby, but I'm sure some people would appreciate having the site in Pink (like, say, SnakeFighter64).
I can play FE just fine, I just picked Phoenix Mode because I didnt feel like having my best units die perm or retreat. Simple? Yes. Stupid of me, yes. Less stress from a person who gets stressed easy, yes

But ai was playing conquest so it was alright better then the mostly easy Birthright
I'm still the kind of player who plays Classic with resets.

Should I play Casual? Yes, probably. But I'm a stubborn guy.

D

Deleted member

I disagree with the idea that difficulty isn't something that defines a game's audience. Difficulty is a very fundamental aspect of a game. Plenty of games are structured entirely around their difficulty and the reward for getting past it. Yes, unfortunately some people might not have the time or ability to play a hard game, but if a game is structured around it's difficulty then that's just how it is. Again, not all games are made to be played by everyone, a dev shouldn't have to always make a game more accessible to appeal to everyone. Some games just target a smaller audience, and that's fine.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm a ***** when it comes to games. If games offer a difficulty setting, I'll never touch hard mode with a ten-foot pole. I'll also gladly switch to easy mode if even normal proves too difficult for me.

I ain't here to stress myself out trying to beat a boss a million times. I'm here to enjoy the story of a game I purchased.

D

Deleted member

The idea of pheonix mode is for people to enjoy the writing instead of the gameplay but there's obviously one major issue here.
It's Fire Emblem Fates
Objectively, though, let's say FE Fates had a good story. If you just want to see the story, couldn't you just watch a let's play instead of paying money? Why pay to play if a person does not want to play?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Phoenix mode would easily be fixed if the unit came back on the second player turn after they got defeated. The player then deals with the consequence of going through two enemy phases and one player phase without that unit. In game reasoning can be the unit taking that one player phase to heal up to come back in the next player phase.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Objectively, though, let's say FE Fates had a good story. If you just want to see the story, couldn't you just watch a let's play instead of paying money? Why pay to play if a person does not want to play?
Why not just watch a let's play of literally any visual novel?

D

Deleted member

here's the thing with difficulty options

there is zero reason not to have them

if people want to play at a harder or easier difficulty then good for them. if you want to play at the normal, developer-intended difficulty then more power to you

just let people play how they want to it's no big deal. more options are almost always fundamentally a good thing

D

Deleted member

Why not just watch a let's play of literally any visual novel?
I do. I think the only series I haven't done that for is Ace Attorney because over half of the appeal is finding the contradiction in the testimony. I even recommend if you don't like playing it to just go watch an indepth playthrough. Otherwise, **** like Danganronpa or 999? YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom