• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

snap back to reality, whoops there goes reggie
Just moved into a new place.

The incredibly charming neighbors spent the past hour screaming, blasting annoying music, singing, fighting, and being the worst living examples of hood rat stereotypes.

Nevermore have I felt such vitriol towards people I don’t know. I’m about to pop a vein.

**** the hood. Moving to the suburbs and never returning.
the worst part about annoying neighbors is that the most you can do is politely ask them to stop and that's it

you can't change **** about them and it sucks, and unlike a house or apartment you can't look at it beforehand

you just gotta learn to deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really.
I don't think that is a possible conscious decision a company would make. It's a major blunder for Square-Enix's internal politics to fake hype Enix fans in particular, and Erdrick is popular in Japan to the point the leaks are creating some real hype, the major detraction has been people who think he is unlikely since Smash Ultimate is being perceived as a game focused on what the west wants, meaning both fans and critics would come out of it with negative opinions.

The messed up bit is that I don't think Erdrick is 100% guaranteed to be Brave. I don't think there was intentional leakbaiting, but it's the situation we have at hand. I think the other possibility is Banjo and it sucks that the bear and bird would likely just further sour the situation despite being such fitting additions to Smash.

That said, I only see the point about complications in your post as a real issue. With it's influence and popularity, as a series with history with Nintendo all the way to the NES, and as a series Sakurai plays with DQ3 being his favorite, there is a legit minimal chance Dragon Quest has not been at least seriously considered, with the problem being the necessary negotiations. I don't see it as likely that Sakurai and Nintendo would stop themselves from using the series due to it at best selling 1 million in the west.

D

Deleted member

Hey people, I was at high school without my phone and I couldn’t check Smashboards until now.

What’s this thing about a datamine? And the “S”?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Same. I'm lucky I have my brother, but a social circle consisting of one person can be impractical.

So, no such thing as night, only late evening and early morning?
No, there's still night. Just eventually you pass the point where you should have gone to sleep from the previous day that you're now heading towards when you should go to sleep for the current day.

You know like how you can only walk so far into a forest until you start walking out of the forest?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Friends, huh?
Well, tomorrow one celebrates his birthday, and I have a gift prepared and plan to make a cake today.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
@tehponycorn
It is time.
Ever since that “Brave” leak, predictability for the next DLC character increased, or so they say.

Codename Brave: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Leaking: Leakers have also went zig-zag in terms of leaking Erdrick. There is so many conflicting information throughout all of the leakers and the people, what is their to believe? Most agreed that Erdrick may be 2nd or 3rd, but Tasnut claims it will be “later”. That is pretty vague, but it hints to 4th or 5th. Two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Female Erdrick will be alternates for Erdrick. That is not really the case, because Pac-Man has one character, one stage, two songs and four spirits. Namco even took a big role in creating Smash 4 and Ultimate. In terms of the “Square list” leak, where potential representatives were shown, Dragon Quest got three representatives. Something that Kingdom Hearts or any other Square representative did not. No one in that list had more than one, and yet Dragon Quest did. That is pretty suspicious, would you think? All of these leaks are quite different and strange. Why should we think leaks are guaranteed? Only a handful have ever been right, and most of those was because of datamining. Erdrick is quite similar to one character in terms of leaking: Steve. Steve was very likely to get in according to a lot of people before Ultimate, and we did not get Steve. There has been a lot of rumors about Steve, like how Steve was in the Early Build of the game. Both have been leaked immensely, due to the circumstances they were in. To those leakers leaking Erdrick, there are some flaws. Tansut may of saw the direct early, that direct being the one in which Cloud was released in Smash 4. Tansut posted that leak a few hours before the direct. Vergeben is said to be the “most accurate leaker”, after he got a lot of characters correct. However, he got the February 2019 Direct completely wrong. Vergeben claimed there would be no remake of Link’s Awakening, and Link’s Awakening was confirmed right at the end. It was even hinted right at the beginning. We trust leakers too much in my opinion, they tend to be incorrect quite often. Polar Panda’s Source claims we will get two fan favorites. Geno fits that in a way, as he is a fanservice character. Even the most talented ones. Look how the Grinch leak went out. These were my opinions on the whole leaking process.

Marketing and Fanservice: Erdrick is not really a special “something” anyway. What I mean by is Sakurai’s choices in terms of DLC. I think Sakraui chooses options based off of promotion, fanservice, ballots, joke characters, and personal choices by Sakurai and his team. Erdrick does not really fit off of those beside promotion and perhaps personal pick, but that latter is unsure of. Dragon Quest on the Switch could be counted as promotion, but think of other games that are coming, games that we may not know, or more. Erdrick is not heavily requested or known, he would not make a “shock” in terms of the audience. Maybe in Japan, but the Westerners would really not see fit. Erdrick is not a surprise factor, and Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but not in Europe nor the Americas. Characters like Geno, Sora and Banjo were requested so much, it would make sense to use them. Steve would truly highlight Nintendo and Xbox’s relationship. Slime is even more of an icon than Erdrick is in terms of Square. Speaking of Banjo, Sora and Geno, they would appeal to the audience more than Erdrick. They can still maintain hype in Japan, while appealing to Europe and the Americas, which helps more. Plus, they were far more requested than Erdrick was. In terms of marketing, Steve is the best choice. In terms of popularity overall and icons, there is a ton. Steve, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Heihachi Mishima and many more are iconic or popular choices for DLC, something that Erdrick can be applied to, but not as much. Reggie said that DLC is “Unexpected”. Erdrick is an icon in Japan. When a game of Dragon Quest releases, it is like a national holiday. Erdrick outside of the Smash Bubble would probably by the most expected Newcomers in Japan. In the Americas and Europe, people respect Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is also the grandfather of all modern JRPGS and RPGS, as well as being influential in gaming and culture. Erdrick is so expected, that Geno, Chrono and Sora are written off, and they become unexpected. Almost all square representative at this point would be “unexpected”. Erdrick is so expected. Like he is practially a symbol for Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan. Geno has been forgotten by many mainstream people, and never really got a revival. Sakurai is a fan of him, so Geno may be that Square representative. Or consider Sora, as KHIII was released and it could be used to promote KHIII in the Switch. Geno is not the only example. A lot of characters would be unexpected at this point, as Erdrick seems quite likely and is an icon.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one mii costume, one stage and two songs. Cloud got less content, as the summons from Midgar were removed. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

“You’ll Never See it Coming”: Joker. No one expected Joker to arrive in the Game Awards. Vergeben stated that we would get a Square representative next, but even Vergeben was blown away by Joker arriving into the scenes. Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really. Nintendo has used leakbait in the past before, for example Star Fox: Grand Prix. Same thing with Namco and Tekken 7. Okay sure, the file was found, but that was only descriptions of the character and “Brave”. We will probably not see it coming. This “Brave” leak is not as diabolical as the Roy and Ryu cutscenes being datamined, anyway.

My thoughts on Erdrick? I apologize to any Erdrick fans reading this, but in my opinion, Erdrick is not guaranteed. Despite Dragon Quest coming on the Switch, despite the leaks, we should not have the mentality that we can expect Erdrick at anytime. Persona 5 is not on the Switch as of yet, and Joker has already been confirmed. Nintendo will give us a nice and fun surprise when the next character gets revealed. These were my thoughts on “Erdrick for Smash Bros”.

Big thanks to
ShotoStar for helping me out!
Why the **** not let's do this because I have nothing better to do
You mention you think armour doesn't make sense because he's slower than Young Link, Young Link is actually a pretty damn fast character in the context of Smash brothers. Either it's awful wording on your part or you're making no sense. 'Brave' translating to Yuusha, Erdrick's class is actually more of a deadringer than you're giving on, as Japan enjoys calling heroes the English word Brave. Not as in 'the brave hero' but as 'the brave' as evidenced by the rollcall of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, in which the characters call themselves 'yuusha' individually but together, they refer to themselves as 'the greatest Braves in history', with Brave being in English there. While you're correct that Jack wouldn't have been correctly guessed as Joker had he not been revealed beforehand (I think we'd have had gunned for Raiden from MGS in that scenario), you forgot people used 'jack' as in the card category as a potential point as Joker does have a theme with calling cards. The reason people believe Brave is Erdrick is because realistically speaking, it's the most fitting character for the codename. You bring up some characters as examples but the ones who you bring to mind for being courageous do NOT have that so deeply woven into their identity as Erdrick's Yuusha class.
EDIT: Also the stats aren't always final as Piranha Plant's stats changed drastically since they were first found and the time Brave and Jack files were found

Leakers are completely irrelevant here as the reason we know of Brave is due to the game's files, a fact many people have been able to verify. Brave being Erdrick is speculation, not someone saying "Hey guys Erdrick is in I'm a leaker". This is important as the former is using objectivity with the files, the latter is trusting someone who could be wrong or could be right (for the record I believe leaks aren't really black-and-white). Also Geno mention number 1.

The entire 'marketing and fanservice' argument you're providing is absolute bull****, we've gotten multiple characters throughout the course of the series who are popular within specific regions and obscure in others. We've gotten a DLC character in 4 who's game is Japan only too. Plus you're heavily undermining Dragon Quest, which is ****ing phenomenonal in Japan to the point DQIII specifically, ERDRICK'S game might I add, is Japan's version of Halo 3's launch where EVERYONE wanted a piece of that. There's also the contradiction that an obscure character wouldn't surprise people who don't know the character, it's blatantly false as everyone who wouldn't know a character would go "Who the hell is this? Where are they from?" Also Geno mention number 2, which I'll actually go on about. Geno practically didn't exist in Europe, his game wouldn't be released until the Wii's virtual console and once more over a decade later with the SNES Classic, Geno is as a result, significantly more obscure and unknown than a franchise that while niche, is still released everywhere and even got games localized due to fan demand (See 3DS DQ8 only being localized at all due to Europe's strong demand convincing Square) Your argument of other characters doesn't really matter either because one can ALWAYS argue "Instead of adding the iconic character A, why not iconic character B, G, R, X, Z, T or L?" It's a nonexistent argument that REEKS of bias. Sora's inclusion here is also heavily ironic as we'll get into your next segment.

Complications. Sora is flatout owned by Disney alongside SE, and Disney is a HUGE company, with many people rightfully criticizing how much power it has, Disney characters is an important thing for the KH franchise and if people complained about no Final Fantasy characters in KHIII, how would they feel without their beloved trio of Sora, Donald and Goofy can't even be fully acknowledged? There's also the fact there's a major MISCONCEPTION here. Square isn't actually as stingy as we're letting on, but the rights for Final Fantasy content are all over the place, there's Uematsu owning music rights, meaning every song has to give extra royalties to him and there's Nomura's designs which are the same deal. Honestly that's as much of a hassle as Cloud, but Cloud has a union actor which Nintendo unfortunately chose not to include. Also ****ton of Geno mentions.

Joker. Nintendo chosing a character who's so ridiculously iconic in Japan that it would seem they're ignoring Dragon Quest is a huge surprise. Including a character from a more niche franchise is a huge surprise they've already done multiple times as DLC, as Joker also fits into that. There's also the huge misconception here with leakbait, you see, this is something found in the game's files and when word got out of the files, Nintendo panicked and removed evidence of the files in the next patch, at this point, Erdrick was already on everyone's radar. Nintendo isn't smart, they're ****ing idiots, there are COUNTLESS Nintendo games which get spoiled because people find data that Nintendo are too ****ing dumb to scrub out, Smash 4, Kirby Star Allies, etc. This idea that Nintendo is specifically trying to fool people with game files is expecting WAY too much of them, not even Netherrealm, the only studio that ACTUALLY does screw about with codenames a lot, delete evidence of files after they're found.

So Shotostar helped you with this? That's incredibly obvious as most of this 'essay' reads as "Please guys Geno might have a shot include Geno in your predictions please remember Geno" to the point of contradicting arguments. Bias is inevitable but considering I managed to write this defending the idea of Erdrick, someone who's never played Dragon Quest, someone who has no desire to play Dragon Quest, someone who's disgusted at the franchise's composer and wants them nowhere near me or the things I enjoy, you can do a lot ****ing better than this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's my essay on Erdrick's chances
They're ****ing in please stop being in denial

D

Deleted member

ohhh my god they released a special look video for endgame and it's taking all my willpower to not watch it
Why the **** not let's do this because I have nothing better to do
You mention you think armour doesn't make sense because he's slower than Young Link, Young Link is actually a pretty damn fast character in the context of Smash brothers. Either it's awful wording on your part or you're making no sense. 'Brave' translating to Yuusha, Erdrick's class is actually more of a deadringer than you're giving on, as Japan enjoys calling heroes the English word Brave. Not as in 'the brave hero' but as 'the brave' as evidenced by the rollcall of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, in which the characters call themselves 'yuusha' individually but together, they refer to themselves as 'the greatest Braves in history', with Brave being in English there. While you're correct that Jack wouldn't have been correctly guessed as Joker had he not been revealed beforehand (I think we'd have had gunned for Raiden from MGS in that scenario), you forgot people used 'jack' as in the card category as a potential point as Joker does have a theme with calling cards. The reason people believe Brave is Erdrick is because realistically speaking, it's the most fitting character for the codename. You bring up some characters as examples but the ones who you bring to mind for being courageous do NOT have that so deeply woven into their identity as Erdrick's Yuusha class.
EDIT: Also the stats aren't always final as Piranha Plant's stats changed drastically since they were first found and the time Brave and Jack files were found

Leakers are completely irrelevant here as the reason we know of Brave is due to the game's files, a fact many people have been able to verify. Brave being Erdrick is speculation, not someone saying "Hey guys Erdrick is in I'm a leaker". This is important as the former is using objectivity with the files, the latter is trusting someone who could be wrong or could be right (for the record I believe leaks aren't really black-and-white). Also Geno mention number 1.

The entire 'marketing and fanservice' argument you're providing is absolute bull****, we've gotten multiple characters throughout the course of the series who are popular within specific regions and obscure in others. We've gotten a DLC character in 4 who's game is Japan only too. Plus you're heavily undermining Dragon Quest, which is ****ing phenomenonal in Japan to the point DQIII specifically, ERDRICK'S game might I add, is Japan's version of Halo 3's launch where EVERYONE wanted a piece of that. There's also the contradiction that an obscure character wouldn't surprise people who don't know the character, it's blatantly false as everyone who wouldn't know a character would go "Who the hell is this? Where are they from?" Also Geno mention number 2, which I'll actually go on about. Geno practically didn't exist in Europe, his game wouldn't be released until the Wii's virtual console and once more over a decade later with the SNES Classic, Geno is as a result, significantly more obscure and unknown than a franchise that while niche, is still released everywhere and even got games localized due to fan demand (See 3DS DQ8 only being localized at all due to Europe's strong demand convincing Square) Your argument of other characters doesn't really matter either because one can ALWAYS argue "Instead of adding the iconic character A, why not iconic character B, G, R, X, Z, T or L?" It's a nonexistent argument that REEKS of bias. Sora's inclusion here is also heavily ironic as we'll get into your next segment.

Complications. Sora is flatout owned by Disney alongside SE, and Disney is a HUGE company, with many people rightfully criticizing how much power it has, Disney characters is an important thing for the KH franchise and if people complained about no Final Fantasy characters in KHIII, how would they feel without their beloved trio of Sora, Donald and Goofy can't even be fully acknowledged? There's also the fact there's a major MISCONCEPTION here. Square isn't actually as stingy as we're letting on, but the rights for Final Fantasy content are all over the place, there's Uematsu owning music rights, meaning every song has to give extra royalties to him and there's Nomura's designs which are the same deal. Honestly that's as much of a hassle as Cloud, but Cloud has a union actor which Nintendo unfortunately chose not to include. Also ****ton of Geno mentions.

Joker. Nintendo chosing a character who's so ridiculously iconic in Japan that it would seem they're ignoring Dragon Quest is a huge surprise. Including a character from a more niche franchise is a huge surprise they've already done multiple times as DLC, as Joker also fits into that. There's also the huge misconception here with leakbait, you see, this is something found in the game's files and when word got out of the files, Nintendo panicked and removed evidence of the files in the next patch, at this point, Erdrick was already on everyone's radar. Nintendo isn't smart, they're ****ing idiots, there are COUNTLESS Nintendo games which get spoiled because people find data that Nintendo are too ****ing dumb to scrub out, Smash 4, Kirby Star Allies, etc. This idea that Nintendo is specifically trying to fool people with game files is expecting WAY too much of them, not even Netherrealm, the only studio that ACTUALLY does screw about with codenames a lot, delete evidence of files after they're found.

So Shotostar helped you with this? That's incredibly obvious as most of this 'essay' reads as "Please guys Geno might have a shot include Geno in your predictions please remember Geno" to the point of contradicting arguments. Bias is inevitable but considering I managed to write this defending the idea of Erdrick, someone who's never played Dragon Quest, someone who has no desire to play Dragon Quest, someone who's disgusted at the franchise's composer and wants them nowhere near me or the things I enjoy, you can do a lot ****ing better than this
gwen says **** your essay here's my counteressay

D

Deleted member

IMG-20190402-WA0002.jpg

look at this ****
look at this absolute horse ****
this incredible, beautiful pile of dog ****ing ****

i love it

D

Deleted member

LOL WE DON'T GET THE HULK OR EVEN GET BRUCE BANNER IN THE POSTER! We just got the Hulk Buster.
i feel like anything relating to hulk might be a mega spoiler so that's why they aren't showing him off

*professor hulk noises*

D

Deleted member

i feel like anything relating to hulk might be a mega spoiler so that's why they aren't showing him off

*professor hulk noises*
That makes sense. I like how we just don't even get Bruce Banner in the poster. Like he's not even that important. They just needed someone to pilot the Hulk Buster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom