• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

"We're all headin' to Gold Saucer, now."

HOO BOY, WE ALREADY GOING THERE? YERRRR. PULL OUT THE MEMES, BOYOS.

D

Deleted member

“Ok everyone that’s all the time I have. I better get back to playing F̶o̶r̶t̶n̶i̶t̶e̶ animal crossing new leaf on my Nintendo S̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ 3ds”

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man's up-tilt is so bad.
Either give it more knockback and more power, or go back to Pac-Man's old up-tilt.

D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest, arguing that Erdrick "isn't guaranteed" is pointless.
Because no ****, he's not a guarantee. He could be in or he could not be in.

The argument is whether or not he is likely, which, if we go by evidence, I'd honestly say yes.
Not a guarantee, but reasonably likely.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
It is time.
Ever since that “Brave” leak, predictability for the next DLC character increased, or so they say.

Codename Brave: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Leaking: Leakers have also went zig-zag in terms of leaking Erdrick. There is so many conflicting information throughout all of the leakers and the people, what is their to believe? Most agreed that Erdrick may be 2nd or 3rd, but Tasnut claims it will be “later”. That is pretty vague, but it hints to 4th or 5th. Two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Female Erdrick will be alternates for Erdrick. That is not really the case, because Pac-Man has one character, one stage, two songs and four spirits. Namco even took a big role in creating Smash 4 and Ultimate. In terms of the “Square list” leak, where potential representatives were shown, Dragon Quest got three representatives. Something that Kingdom Hearts or any other Square representative did not. No one in that list had more than one, and yet Dragon Quest did. That is pretty suspicious, would you think? All of these leaks are quite different and strange. Why should we think leaks are guaranteed? Only a handful have ever been right, and most of those was because of datamining. Erdrick is quite similar to one character in terms of leaking: Steve. Steve was very likely to get in according to a lot of people before Ultimate, and we did not get Steve. There has been a lot of rumors about Steve, like how Steve was in the Early Build of the game. Both have been leaked immensely, due to the circumstances they were in. To those leakers leaking Erdrick, there are some flaws. Tansut may of saw the direct early, that direct being the one in which Cloud was released in Smash 4. Tansut posted that leak a few hours before the direct. Vergeben is said to be the “most accurate leaker”, after he got a lot of characters correct. However, he got the February 2019 Direct completely wrong. Vergeben claimed there would be no remake of Link’s Awakening, and Link’s Awakening was confirmed right at the end. It was even hinted right at the beginning. We trust leakers too much in my opinion, they tend to be incorrect quite often. Polar Panda’s Source claims we will get two fan favorites. Geno fits that in a way, as he is a fanservice character. Even the most talented ones. Look how the Grinch leak went out. These were my opinions on the whole leaking process.

Marketing and Fanservice: Erdrick is not really a special “something” anyway. What I mean by is Sakurai’s choices in terms of DLC. I think Sakraui chooses options based off of promotion, fanservice, ballots, joke characters, and personal choices by Sakurai and his team. Erdrick does not really fit off of those beside promotion and perhaps personal pick, but that latter is unsure of. Dragon Quest on the Switch could be counted as promotion, but think of other games that are coming, games that we may not know, or more. Erdrick is not heavily requested or known, he would not make a “shock” in terms of the audience. Maybe in Japan, but the Westerners would really not see fit. Erdrick is not a surprise factor, and Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but not in Europe nor the Americas. Characters like Geno, Sora and Banjo were requested so much, it would make sense to use them. Steve would truly highlight Nintendo and Xbox’s relationship. Slime is even more of an icon than Erdrick is in terms of Square. Speaking of Banjo, Sora and Geno, they would appeal to the audience more than Erdrick. They can still maintain hype in Japan, while appealing to Europe and the Americas, which helps more. Plus, they were far more requested than Erdrick was. In terms of marketing, Steve is the best choice. In terms of popularity overall and icons, there is a ton. Steve, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Heihachi Mishima and many more are iconic or popular choices for DLC, something that Erdrick can be applied to, but not as much. Reggie said that DLC is “Unexpected”. Erdrick is an icon in Japan. When a game of Dragon Quest releases, it is like a national holiday. Erdrick outside of the Smash Bubble would probably by the most expected Newcomers in Japan. In the Americas and Europe, people respect Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is also the grandfather of all modern JRPGS and RPGS, as well as being influential in gaming and culture. Erdrick is so expected, that Geno, Chrono and Sora are written off, and they become unexpected. Almost all square representative at this point would be “unexpected”. Erdrick is so expected. Like he is practially a symbol for Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan. Geno has been forgotten by many mainstream people, and never really got a revival. Sakurai is a fan of him, so Geno may be that Square representative. Or consider Sora, as KHIII was released and it could be used to promote KHIII in the Switch. Geno is not the only example. A lot of characters would be unexpected at this point, as Erdrick seems quite likely and is an icon.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one mii costume, one stage and two songs. Cloud got less content, as the summons from Midgar were removed. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

“You’ll Never See it Coming”: Joker. No one expected Joker to arrive in the Game Awards. Vergeben stated that we would get a Square representative next, but even Vergeben was blown away by Joker arriving into the scenes. Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really. Nintendo has used leakbait in the past before, for example Star Fox: Grand Prix. Same thing with Namco and Tekken 7. Okay sure, the file was found, but that was only descriptions of the character and “Brave”. We will probably not see it coming. This “Brave” leak is not as diabolical as the Roy and Ryu cutscenes being datamined, anyway.

My thoughts on Erdrick? I apologize to any Erdrick fans reading this, but in my opinion, Erdrick is not guaranteed. Despite Dragon Quest coming on the Switch, despite the leaks, we should not have the mentality that we can expect Erdrick at anytime. Persona 5 is not on the Switch as of yet, and Joker has already been confirmed. Nintendo will give us a nice and fun surprise when the next character gets revealed. These were my thoughts on “Erdrick for Smash Bros”.

Big thanks to
ShotoStar for helping me out!
Watch it turn out to be Erdrick after writing all this.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I hereby welcome the second third fourth coming of Gohan. Goku robbed him of his glorious white hair, and Trunks might wield a sword, but only Gohan is destined to make the cut to Smash.
Gohan_de_la_espada.png

KMDP

Smash Legend
> grind a bit more to get to level 20 before crossing that mountain path into the cave
> got money and bought Revive materia
> Cloud's LVL 2 Limit Break fully complete with gaining Climhazzard

Oh yeah, now it's gamer time.

View attachment 203764
Fun fact, it's actually possible to get Aerith's Limit Break all the way up to Level 4 (the highest level) before she leaves the party.

She is the only character this is true for.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It is time.
Ever since that “Brave” leak, predictability for the next DLC character increased, or so they say.

Codename Brave: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Leaking: Leakers have also went zig-zag in terms of leaking Erdrick. There is so many conflicting information throughout all of the leakers and the people, what is their to believe? Most agreed that Erdrick may be 2nd or 3rd, but Tasnut claims it will be “later”. That is pretty vague, but it hints to 4th or 5th. Two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Female Erdrick will be alternates for Erdrick. That is not really the case, because Pac-Man has one character, one stage, two songs and four spirits. Namco even took a big role in creating Smash 4 and Ultimate. In terms of the “Square list” leak, where potential representatives were shown, Dragon Quest got three representatives. Something that Kingdom Hearts or any other Square representative did not. No one in that list had more than one, and yet Dragon Quest did. That is pretty suspicious, would you think? All of these leaks are quite different and strange. Why should we think leaks are guaranteed? Only a handful have ever been right, and most of those was because of datamining. Erdrick is quite similar to one character in terms of leaking: Steve. Steve was very likely to get in according to a lot of people before Ultimate, and we did not get Steve. There has been a lot of rumors about Steve, like how Steve was in the Early Build of the game. Both have been leaked immensely, due to the circumstances they were in. To those leakers leaking Erdrick, there are some flaws. Tansut may of saw the direct early, that direct being the one in which Cloud was released in Smash 4. Tansut posted that leak a few hours before the direct. Vergeben is said to be the “most accurate leaker”, after he got a lot of characters correct. However, he got the February 2019 Direct completely wrong. Vergeben claimed there would be no remake of Link’s Awakening, and Link’s Awakening was confirmed right at the end. It was even hinted right at the beginning. We trust leakers too much in my opinion, they tend to be incorrect quite often. Polar Panda’s Source claims we will get two fan favorites. Geno fits that in a way, as he is a fanservice character. Even the most talented ones. Look how the Grinch leak went out. These were my opinions on the whole leaking process.

Marketing and Fanservice: Erdrick is not really a special “something” anyway. What I mean by is Sakurai’s choices in terms of DLC. I think Sakraui chooses options based off of promotion, fanservice, ballots, joke characters, and personal choices by Sakurai and his team. Erdrick does not really fit off of those beside promotion and perhaps personal pick, but that latter is unsure of. Dragon Quest on the Switch could be counted as promotion, but think of other games that are coming, games that we may not know, or more. Erdrick is not heavily requested or known, he would not make a “shock” in terms of the audience. Maybe in Japan, but the Westerners would really not see fit. Erdrick is not a surprise factor, and Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but not in Europe nor the Americas. Characters like Geno, Sora and Banjo were requested so much, it would make sense to use them. Steve would truly highlight Nintendo and Xbox’s relationship. Slime is even more of an icon than Erdrick is in terms of Square. Speaking of Banjo, Sora and Geno, they would appeal to the audience more than Erdrick. They can still maintain hype in Japan, while appealing to Europe and the Americas, which helps more. Plus, they were far more requested than Erdrick was. In terms of marketing, Steve is the best choice. In terms of popularity overall and icons, there is a ton. Steve, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Heihachi Mishima and many more are iconic or popular choices for DLC, something that Erdrick can be applied to, but not as much. Reggie said that DLC is “Unexpected”. Erdrick is an icon in Japan. When a game of Dragon Quest releases, it is like a national holiday. Erdrick outside of the Smash Bubble would probably by the most expected Newcomers in Japan. In the Americas and Europe, people respect Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is also the grandfather of all modern JRPGS and RPGS, as well as being influential in gaming and culture. Erdrick is so expected, that Geno, Chrono and Sora are written off, and they become unexpected. Almost all square representative at this point would be “unexpected”. Erdrick is so expected. Like he is practially a symbol for Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan. Geno has been forgotten by many mainstream people, and never really got a revival. Sakurai is a fan of him, so Geno may be that Square representative. Or consider Sora, as KHIII was released and it could be used to promote KHIII in the Switch. Geno is not the only example. A lot of characters would be unexpected at this point, as Erdrick seems quite likely and is an icon.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one stage, two songs, and no English voice actor, despite the fact that Cloud has been released in the West way before Fire Emblem ever has. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

“You’ll Never See it Coming”: Joker. No one expected Joker to arrive in the Game Awards. Vergeben stated that we would get a Square representative next, but even Vergeben was blown away by Joker arriving into the scenes. Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really. Nintendo has used leakbait in the past before, for example Star Fox: Grand Prix. Same thing with Namco and Tekken 7. Okay sure, the file was found, but that was only descriptions of the character and “Brave”. We will probably not see it coming. This “Brave” leak is not as diabolical as the Roy and Ryu cutscenes being datamined, anyway.

My thoughts on Erdrick? I apologize to any Erdrick fans reading this, but in my opinion, Erdrick is not guaranteed. Despite Dragon Quest coming on the Switch, despite the leaks, we should not have the mentality that we can expect Erdrick at anytime. Persona 5 is not on the Switch as of yet, and Joker has already been confirmed. Nintendo will give us a nice and fun surprise when the next character gets revealed. These were my thoughts on “Erdrick for Smash Bros”.

Big thanks to @ShotoStar for helping me out!
bubble-objection.gif

franziska-ready(b).gif

Once again, your argument is based on opinions and circumstantial evidence. Several of your points hold no water, so let us take the time to go through each and every one of them, shall we?
"Codename Brave"

Your argument for this point is that Brave does not match the parameters for someone like Erdrick, and is too generic a term to attribute to any one character, correct? However, let us look at it this way. The character we are specifically talking about when we refer to Erdrick is the protagonist of Dragon Quest III. Said character is of average height and build, equating to about the size of a teenager. With that in mind, I would say it is quite likely for them to have all the stats you have listed. A teenager would certainly be slower than a child (Young Link). Furthermore, the reason we have linked "Brave" to this particular version of Erdrick is because their Japanese name translates to Brave, as you have mentioned. Such a fact cannot be denied.

"Leaking"

Leakers are naturally going to disagree. Not all of them have the same info, and some either have no info at all and simply wish to mislead us, or are being fed lies without even realizing that fact. As such, I agree that we cannot trust most leakers. However, those with clear track records have given their reasons as to why Erdrick will be in Smash. To get into specifics, your assertion that Vergeben getting the Link's Awakening remake wrong means very little in the grand scheme of things. One mistake does not erase the myriad of other things he has gotten right. Ken and Incineroar being the final two characters, Simon and Ridley being in the game, and so forth. While yes, he has not, to my knowledge, named any specific character in his claims of "a Square Enix character is coming", I believe the evidence that points to Erdrick without Vergeben's word is reason enough to assume Erdrick is who he refers to.

"Marketing and Fanservice"

Sakurai had a say in what characters would be added as DLC to Ultimate, yes, but he did not create the list himself. The list of potential characters was bestowed unto him by Nintendo, and he simply chose from who was listed. Furthermore, a character being "unpopular in the West" means nothing. A character being unpopular in any given region means nothing. First off, Smash is developed in Japan, so obviously Sakurai will have his home country's interests in mind first and foremost. Second, characters such as Shulk in Smash 4, Marth and Roy in Melee, and Dark Samus and King K. Rool in Ultimate shows that Sakurai is willing to add characters that will appeal primarily to a single market. Furthermore, I would say Erdrick counts as "unexpected", since, as you have listed, many Westerners do not know of the character. Tell me, would you expect a character you have no knowledge of?

"Complications"

franziska-clench(b).gif

All I'll say here is that Square being stingy with one property does not mean they will be completely and utterly adverse to adding another. Cloud's lackluster inclusion has no bearing on Erdrick's chances.

"You'll never see it coming"

Using Joker's reveal as a basis for your argument seems foolish. Furthermore, the idea that Nintendo would add data for an entire character simply to throw off dataminers is even more foolish. You speak of the same company that added Roy and Ryu's data to Smash 4 in an update well before they were supposed to be added, and saw no problem. Clearly, they have not learned from that mistake, and those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. This was simply another unfortunate case of them adding a character to the game's data before they were ready to reveal them, only this time they tried to be coy and put them in under a codename, as if that would help matters at all.

ezgif-2-f4dcd95342ac.gif

In conclusion, your argument relies on second-hand accounts, personal assumptions, and evidence you cannot back up. While I do not think Erdrick is guaranteed, none of your reasons have swayed me in the slightest. I applaud the effort you put into this essay, however.

franziska-bow.gif

And so, the prosecution rests.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Well Yes but actually No.

In America across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: 100k purchases

In Europe across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: ??? (Didn't specify or give any hints), Let's just say 150k cause it's apparently bigger in Europe than in America.

Total (outside of Japan) = 350k

Inside of Japan Erdrick is a legendary Character and almost everyone in Japan knows of him, Outside of Japan not so much. He's Popular just not "Millions of people Across the world will remember him" levels of popularity.
To add onto this SMRPG sold 2.140M copies overall and 300k almost rivaling DQ 3's success here in America alone since Europe did not get the game. Just a little calculation and research I did, I found it interesting.

Edit: Dang I stumbled over my words a little bit, Edited to fit what I was trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 203755
View attachment 203758
Once again, your argument is based on opinions and circumstantial evidence. Several of your points hold no water, so let us take the time to go through each and every one of them, shall we?
"Codename Brave"

Your argument for this point is that Brave does not match the parameters for someone like Erdrick, and is too generic a term to attribute to any one character, correct? However, let us look at it this way. The character we are specifically talking about when we refer to Erdrick is the protagonist of Dragon Quest III. Said character is of average height and build, equating to about the size of a teenager. With that in mind, I would say it is quite likely for them to have all the stats you have listed. A teenager would certainly be slower than a child (Young Link). Furthermore, the reason we have linked "Brave" to this particular version of Erdrick is because their Japanese name translates to Brave, as you have mentioned. Such a fact cannot be denied.

"Leaking"

Leakers are naturally going to disagree. Not all of them have the same info, and some either have no info at all and simply wish to mislead us, or are being fed lies without even realizing that fact. As such, I agree that we cannot trust most leakers. However, those with clear track records have given their reasons as to why Erdrick will be in Smash. To get into specifics, your assertion that Vergeben getting the Link's Awakening remake wrong means very little in the grand scheme of things. One mistake does not erase the myriad of other things he has gotten right. Ken and Incineroar being the final two characters, Simon and Ridley being in the game, and so forth. While yes, he has not, to my knowledge, named any specific character in his claims of "a Square Enix character is coming", I believe the evidence that points to Erdrick without Vergeben's word is reason enough to assume Erdrick is who he refers to.

"Marketing and Fanservice"

Sakurai had a say in what characters would be added as DLC to Ultimate, yes, but he did not create the list himself. The list of potential characters was bestowed unto him by Nintendo, and he simply chose from who was listed. Furthermore, a character being "unpopular in the West" means nothing. A character being unpopular in any given region means nothing. First off, Smash is developed in Japan, so obviously Sakurai will have his home country's interests in mind first and foremost. Second, characters such as Shulk in Smash 4, Marth and Roy in Melee, and Dark Samus and King K. Rool in Ultimate shows that Sakurai is willing to add characters that will appeal primarily to a single market. Furthermore, I would say Erdrick counts as "unexpected", since, as you have listed, many Westerners do not know of the character. Tell me, would you expect a character you have no knowledge of?

"Complications"

View attachment 203765
All I'll say here is that Square being stingy with one property does not mean they will be completely and utterly adverse to adding another. Cloud's lackluster inclusion has no bearing on Erdrick's chances.

"You'll never see it coming"

Using Joker's reveal as a basis for your argument seems foolish. Furthermore, the idea that Nintendo would add data for an entire character simply to throw off dataminers is even more foolish. You speak of the same company that added Roy and Ryu's data to Smash 4 in an update well before they were supposed to be added, and saw no problem. Clearly, they have not learned from that mistake, and those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. This was simply another unfortunate case of them adding a character to the game's data before they were ready to reveal them, only this time they tried to be coy and put them in under a codename, as if that would help matters at all.

View attachment 203769

In conclusion, your argument relies on second-hand accounts, personal assumptions, and evidence you cannot back up. While I do not think Erdrick is guaranteed, none of your reasons have swayed me in the slightest. I applaud the effort you put into this essay, however.

View attachment 203770

And so, the prosecution rests.
...Nice move. We will wait for who is the correct one.
I applaud the effort you put in this counter-argument, they held water.
Even if I disagree about the fact that Erdrick is guaranteed.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Well 8 minutes until the end of ReggieBoards.

*sniff*
Not big into the April Fools celebrations, but this was a very nice and fitting tribute for Reggie by the admins. Who came up with the idea for Reggieboards?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Our bodies are not ready for this to end...

But I suppose we should get back to playing Animal Crossing New Leaf on the Nintendo 3DS

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It is time.
The history of all hitherto existing society(2) is the history of class struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guild-master(3) and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes.

In the earlier epochs of history, we find almost everywhere a complicated arrangement of society into various orders, a manifold gradation of social rank. In ancient Rome we have patricians, knights, plebeians, slaves; in the Middle Ages, feudal lords, vassals, guild-masters, journeymen, apprentices, serfs; in almost all of these classes, again, subordinate gradations.

The modern bourgeois society that has sprouted from the ruins of feudal society has not done away with class antagonisms. It has but established new classes, new conditions of oppression, new forms of struggle in place of the old ones.

Our epoch, the epoch of the bourgeoisie, possesses, however, this distinct feature: it has simplified class antagonisms. Society as a whole is more and more splitting up into two great hostile camps, into two great classes directly facing each other — Bourgeoisie and Proletariat.

From the serfs of the Middle Ages sprang the chartered burghers of the earliest towns. From these burgesses the first elements of the bourgeoisie were developed.

The discovery of America, the rounding of the Cape, opened up fresh ground for the rising bourgeoisie. The East-Indian and Chinese markets, the colonisation of America, trade with the colonies, the increase in the means of exchange and in commodities generally, gave to commerce, to navigation, to industry, an impulse never before known, and thereby, to the revolutionary element in the tottering feudal society, a rapid development.

The feudal system of industry, in which industrial production was monopolised by closed guilds, now no longer sufficed for the growing wants of the new markets. The manufacturing system took its place. The guild-masters were pushed on one side by the manufacturing middle class; division of labour between the different corporate guilds vanished in the face of division of labour in each single workshop.

Meantime the markets kept ever growing, the demand ever rising. Even manufacturer no longer sufficed. Thereupon, steam and machinery revolutionised industrial production. The place of manufacture was taken by the giant, Modern Industry; the place of the industrial middle class by industrial millionaires, the leaders of the whole industrial armies, the modern bourgeois.

Modern industry has established the world market, for which the discovery of America paved the way. This market has given an immense development to commerce, to navigation, to communication by land. This development has, in its turn, reacted on the extension of industry; and in proportion as industry, commerce, navigation, railways extended, in the same proportion the bourgeoisie developed, increased its capital, and pushed into the background every class handed down from the Middle Ages.

We see, therefore, how the modern bourgeoisie is itself the product of a long course of development, of a series of revolutions in the modes of production and of exchange.

Each step in the development of the bourgeoisie was accompanied by a corresponding political advance of that class. An oppressed class under the sway of the feudal nobility, an armed and self-governing association in the medieval commune(4): here independent urban republic (as in Italy and Germany); there taxable “third estate” of the monarchy (as in France); afterwards, in the period of manufacturing proper, serving either the semi-feudal or the absolute monarchy as a counterpoise against the nobility, and, in fact, cornerstone of the great monarchies in general, the bourgeoisie has at last, since the establishment of Modern Industry and of the world market, conquered for itself, in the modern representative State, exclusive political sway. The executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.

The bourgeoisie, historically, has played a most revolutionary part.

The bourgeoisie, wherever it has got the upper hand, has put an end to all feudal, patriarchal, idyllic relations. It has pitilessly torn asunder the motley feudal ties that bound man to his “natural superiors”, and has left remaining no other nexus between man and man than naked self-interest, than callous “cash payment”. It has drowned the most heavenly ecstasies of religious fervour, of chivalrous enthusiasm, of philistine sentimentalism, in the icy water of egotistical calculation. It has resolved personal worth into exchange value, and in place of the numberless indefeasible chartered freedoms, has set up that single, unconscionable freedom — Free Trade. In one word, for exploitation, veiled by religious and political illusions, it has substituted naked, shameless, direct, brutal exploitation.

The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers.

The bourgeoisie has torn away from the family its sentimental veil, and has reduced the family relation to a mere money relation.

The bourgeoisie has disclosed how it came to pass that the brutal display of vigour in the Middle Ages, which reactionaries so much admire, found its fitting complement in the most slothful indolence. It has been the first to show what man’s activity can bring about. It has accomplished wonders far surpassing Egyptian pyramids, Roman aqueducts, and Gothic cathedrals; it has conducted expeditions that put in the shade all former Exoduses of nations and crusades.

The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind.

The need of a constantly expanding market for its products chases the bourgeoisie over the entire surface of the globe. It must nestle everywhere, settle everywhere, establish connexions everywhere.

The bourgeoisie has through its exploitation of the world market given a cosmopolitan character to production and consumption in every country. To the great chagrin of Reactionists, it has drawn from under the feet of industry the national ground on which it stood. All old-established national industries have been destroyed or are daily being destroyed. They are dislodged by new industries, whose introduction becomes a life and death question for all civilised nations, by industries that no longer work up indigenous raw material, but raw material drawn from the remotest zones; industries whose products are consumed, not only at home, but in every quarter of the globe. In place of the old wants, satisfied by the production of the country, we find new wants, requiring for their satisfaction the products of distant lands and climes. In place of the old local and national seclusion and self-sufficiency, we have intercourse in every direction, universal inter-dependence of nations. And as in material, so also in intellectual production. The intellectual creations of individual nations become common property. National one-sidedness and narrow-mindedness become more and more impossible, and from the numerous national and local literatures, there arises a world literature.

The bourgeoisie, by the rapid improvement of all instruments of production, by the immensely facilitated means of communication, draws all, even the most barbarian, nations into civilisation. The cheap prices of commodities are the heavy artillery with which it batters down all Chinese walls, with which it forces the barbarians’ intensely obstinate hatred of foreigners to capitulate. It compels all nations, on pain of extinction, to adopt the bourgeois mode of production; it compels them to introduce what it calls civilisation into their midst, i.e., to become bourgeois themselves. In one word, it creates a world after its own image.
Wow shiny. Good points, but did you really need to recite an excerpt from the communist manifesto?

D

Deleted member

Mr. Bill, I do not feel so good...
Edit: Okay okay, "don't".

Roberk

Smash Champion
Well Yes but actually No.

In America across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: 100k purchases

In Europe across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: ??? (Didn't specify or give any hints), Let's just say 150k cause it's apparently bigger in Europe than in America.

Total (outside of Japan) = 350k

Inside of Japan Erdrick is a legendary Character and almost everyone in Japan knows of him, Outside of Japan not so much. He's Popular just not "Millions of people Across the world will remember him" levels of popularity.
To add onto this SMRPG sold 2.140M copies overall and 300k almost rivaling DQ 3's success here in America alone since Europe did not get the game. Just a little calculation and research I did, I found it interesting.

Edit: Dang I stumbled over my words a little bit, Edited to fit what I was trying to say.
bulba.png

Quite the party pooper huh? Though I can positively say that Square Enix would use a Dragon Quest character, representing one of their biggest and longest-running franchises, over a side character from a spin-off in the 90s if you want to boil everything down to numbers.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can positively say that the only way Geno's coming back to the public eye in 20XX is by adding marriage and children to SMRPG.

D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest, arguing that Erdrick "isn't guaranteed" is pointless.
Because no ****, he's not a guarantee. He could be in or he could not be in.

The argument is whether or not he is likely, which, if we go by evidence, I'd honestly say yes.
Not a guarantee, but reasonably likely.
His chances are pretty debebatle, but I have saw a lot of people claim he is "guaranteed".

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here.
hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here. are you guys ready for hey guys, it's reggie here.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 203771
Quite the party pooper huh? Though I can positively say that Square Enix would use a Dragon Quest character, representing one of their biggest and longest-running franchises, over a side character from a spin-off in the 90s if you want to boil everything down to numbers.
It makes sense that they would choose a Dragon Quest rep over Geno cause Dragon Quest is Square's second biggest franchise while Geno is a one-off character from the 90's so why wouldn't you? it makes sense.

I just wanted to point out that not millions of people across the world would recognize Erdrick and that mostly Japan would. I'm not trying to be a bummer as it makes sense for why they would choose Erdrick over my boy but I'm just calling it like I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom