• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The thing about being an artist is that it requires time and effort and that's gay

D

Deleted member

Oh, as I'm going through my time during Final Fantasy VII, I'm done with the Cargo Ship bit, but I can't get enough of Red XIII dressed and attempting to walk and talk like a human. That legit made me laugh. Animal humor is always great.

Jenova BIRTH however? Christ, Square, you're giving me the s w e e t m u s i c THIS early, huh?

D

Deleted member

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
It is time.
Ever since that “Brave” leak, predictability for the next DLC character increased, or so they say.

Codename Brave: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Leaking: Leakers have also went zig-zag in terms of leaking Erdrick. There is so many conflicting information throughout all of the leakers and the people, what is their to believe? Most agreed that Erdrick may be 2nd or 3rd, but Tasnut claims it will be “later”. That is pretty vague, but it hints to 4th or 5th. Two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Female Erdrick will be alternates for Erdrick. That is not really the case, because Pac-Man has one character, one stage, two songs and four spirits. Namco even took a big role in creating Smash 4 and Ultimate. In terms of the “Square list” leak, where potential representatives were shown, Dragon Quest got three representatives. Something that Kingdom Hearts or any other Square representative did not. No one in that list had more than one, and yet Dragon Quest did. That is pretty suspicious, would you think? All of these leaks are quite different and strange. Why should we think leaks are guaranteed? Only a handful have ever been right, and most of those was because of datamining. Erdrick is quite similar to one character in terms of leaking: Steve. Steve was very likely to get in according to a lot of people before Ultimate, and we did not get Steve. There has been a lot of rumors about Steve, like how Steve was in the Early Build of the game. Both have been leaked immensely, due to the circumstances they were in. To those leakers leaking Erdrick, there are some flaws. Tansut may of saw the direct early, that direct being the one in which Cloud was released in Smash 4. Tansut posted that leak a few hours before the direct. Vergeben is said to be the “most accurate leaker”, after he got a lot of characters correct. However, he got the February 2019 Direct completely wrong. Vergeben claimed there would be no remake of Link’s Awakening, and Link’s Awakening was confirmed right at the end. It was even hinted right at the beginning. We trust leakers too much in my opinion, they tend to be incorrect quite often. Polar Panda’s Source claims we will get two fan favorites. Geno fits that in a way, as he is a fanservice character. Even the most talented ones. Look how the Grinch leak went out. These were my opinions on the whole leaking process.

Marketing and Fanservice: Erdrick is not really a special “something” anyway. What I mean by is Sakurai’s choices in terms of DLC. I think Sakraui chooses options based off of promotion, fanservice, ballots, joke characters, and personal choices by Sakurai and his team. Erdrick does not really fit off of those beside promotion and perhaps personal pick, but that latter is unsure of. Dragon Quest on the Switch could be counted as promotion, but think of other games that are coming, games that we may not know, or more. Erdrick is not heavily requested or known, he would not make a “shock” in terms of the audience. Maybe in Japan, but the Westerners would really not see fit. Erdrick is not a surprise factor, and Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but not in Europe nor the Americas. Characters like Geno, Sora and Banjo were requested so much, it would make sense to use them. Steve would truly highlight Nintendo and Xbox’s relationship. Slime is even more of an icon than Erdrick is in terms of Square. Speaking of Banjo, Sora and Geno, they would appeal to the audience more than Erdrick. They can still maintain hype in Japan, while appealing to Europe and the Americas, which helps more. Plus, they were far more requested than Erdrick was. In terms of marketing, Steve is the best choice. In terms of popularity overall and icons, there is a ton. Steve, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Heihachi Mishima and many more are iconic or popular choices for DLC, something that Erdrick can be applied to, but not as much. Reggie said that DLC is “Unexpected”. Erdrick is an icon in Japan. When a game of Dragon Quest releases, it is like a national holiday. Erdrick outside of the Smash Bubble would probably by the most expected Newcomers in Japan. In the Americas and Europe, people respect Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is also the grandfather of all modern JRPGS and RPGS, as well as being influential in gaming and culture. Erdrick is so expected, that Geno, Chrono and Sora are written off, and they become unexpected. Almost all square representative at this point would be “unexpected”. Erdrick is so expected. Like he is practially a symbol for Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan. Geno has been forgotten by many mainstream people, and never really got a revival. Sakurai is a fan of him, so Geno may be that Square representative. Or consider Sora, as KHIII was released and it could be used to promote KHIII in the Switch. Geno is not the only example. A lot of characters would be unexpected at this point, as Erdrick seems quite likely and is an icon.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one mii costume, one stage and two songs. Cloud got less content, as the summons from Midgar were removed. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

“You’ll Never See it Coming”: Joker. No one expected Joker to arrive in the Game Awards. Vergeben stated that we would get a Square representative next, but even Vergeben was blown away by Joker arriving into the scenes. Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really. Nintendo has used leakbait in the past before, for example Star Fox: Grand Prix. Same thing with Namco and Tekken 7. Okay sure, the file was found, but that was only descriptions of the character and “Brave”. We will probably not see it coming. This “Brave” leak is not as diabolical as the Roy and Ryu cutscenes being datamined, anyway.

My thoughts on Erdrick? I apologize to any Erdrick fans reading this, but in my opinion, Erdrick is not guaranteed. Despite Dragon Quest coming on the Switch, despite the leaks, we should not have the mentality that we can expect Erdrick at anytime. Persona 5 is not on the Switch as of yet, and Joker has already been confirmed. Nintendo will give us a nice and fun surprise when the next character gets revealed. These were my thoughts on “Erdrick for Smash Bros”.

Big thanks to
ShotoStar for helping me out!

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It is time.
Ever since that “Brave” leak, predictability for the next DLC character increased, or so they say.

“Brave” leak: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Leaking: Leakers have also went zig-zag in terms of leaking Erdrick. There is so many conflicting information throughout all of the leakers and the people, what is their to believe? Most agreed that Erdrick may be 2nd or 3rd, but Tasnut claims it will be “later”. That is pretty vague, but it hints to 4th or 5th. Two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Female Erdrick will be alternates for Erdrick. That is not really the case, because Pac-Man has one character, one stage, two songs and four spirits. Namco even took a big role in creating Smash 4 and Ultimate. In terms of the “Square list” leak, where potential representatives were shown, Dragon Quest got three representatives. Something that Kingdom Hearts or any other Square representative did not. No one in that list had more than one, and yet Dragon Quest did. That is pretty suspicious, would you think? All of these leaks are quite different and strange. Why should we think leaks are guaranteed? Only a handful have ever been right, and most of those was because of datamining. Erdrick is quite similar to one character in terms of leaking: Steve. Steve was very likely to get in according to a lot of people before Ultimate, and we did not get Steve. There has been a lot of rumors about Steve, like how Steve was in the Early Build of the game. Both have been leaked immensely, due to the circumstances they were in. To those leakers leaking Erdrick, there are some flaws. Tansut may of saw the direct early, that direct being the one in which Cloud was released in Smash 4. Tansut posted that leak a few hours before the direct. Vergeben is said to be the “most accurate leaker”, after he got a lot of characters correct. However, he got the February 2019 Direct completely wrong. Vergeben claimed there would be no remake of Link’s Awakening, and Link’s Awakening was confirmed right at the end. It was even hinted right at the beginning. We trust leakers too much in my opinion, they tend to be incorrect quite often. Polar Panda’s Source claims we will get two fan favorites. Geno fits that in a way, as he is a fanservice character. Even the most talented ones. Look how the Grinch leak went out. These were my opinions on the whole leaking process.

Marketing and Fanservice: Erdrick is not really a special “something” anyway. What I mean by is Sakurai’s choices in terms of DLC. I think Sakraui chooses options based off of promotion, fanservice, ballots, joke characters, and personal choices by Sakurai and his team. Erdrick does not really fit off of those beside promotion and perhaps personal pick, but that latter is unsure of. Dragon Quest on the Switch could be counted as promotion, but think of other games that are coming, games that we may not know, or more. Erdrick is not heavily requested or known, he would not make a “shock” in terms of the audience. Maybe in Japan, but the Westerners would really not see fit. Erdrick is not a surprise factor, and Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but not in Europe nor the Americas. Characters like Geno, Sora and Banjo were requested so much, it would make sense to use them. Steve would truly highlight Nintendo and Xbox’s relationship. Slime is even more of an icon than Erdrick is in terms of Square. Speaking of Banjo, Sora and Geno, they would appeal to the audience more than Erdrick. They can still maintain hype in Japan, while appealing to Europe and the Americas, which helps more. Plus, they were far more requested than Erdrick was. In terms of marketing, Steve is the best choice. In terms of popularity overall and icons, there is a ton. Steve, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Heihachi Mishima and many more are iconic or popular choices for DLC, something that Erdrick can be applied to, but not as much. Reggie said that DLC is “Unexpected”. Erdrick is an icon in Japan. When a game of Dragon Quest releases, it is like a national holiday. Erdrick outside of the Smash Bubble would probably by the most expected Newcomers in Japan. In the Americas and Europe, people respect Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is also the grandfather of all modern JRPGS and RPGS, as well as being influential in gaming and culture. Erdrick is so expected, that Geno, Chrono and Sora are written off, and they become unexpected. Almost all square representative at this point would be “unexpected”. Erdrick is so expected. Like he is practially a symbol for Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan. Geno has been forgotten by many mainstream people, and never really got a revival. Sakurai is a fan of him, so Geno may be that Square representative. Or consider Sora, as KHIII was released and it could be used to promote KHIII in the Switch. Geno is not the only example. A lot of characters would be unexpected at this point, as Erdrick seems quite likely and is an icon.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one stage, two songs, and no English voice actor, despite the fact that Cloud has been released in the West way before Fire Emblem ever has. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

“You’ll Never See it Coming”: Joker. No one expected Joker to arrive in the Game Awards. Vergeben stated that we would get a Square representative next, but even Vergeben was blown away by Joker arriving into the scenes. Sure, someone actually datamined the game, but what if it is leak bait? What if Nintendo knew this would happen? Nintendo likes to keep things a surprise, so I think we can not expect anyone, really. Nintendo has used leakbait in the past before, for example Star Fox: Grand Prix. Same thing with Namco and Tekken 7. Okay sure, the file was found, but that was only descriptions of the character and “Brave”. We will probably not see it coming. This “Brave” leak is not as diabolical as the Roy and Ryu cutscenes being datamined, anyway.

My thoughts on Erdrick? I apologize to any Erdrick fans reading this, but in my opinion, Erdrick is not guaranteed. Despite Dragon Quest coming on the Switch, despite the leaks, we should not have the mentality that we can expect Erdrick at anytime. Persona 5 is not on the Switch as of yet, and Joker has already been confirmed. Nintendo will give us a nice and fun surprise when the next character gets revealed. These were my thoughts on “Erdrick for Smash Bros”.

Big thanks to @ShotoStar for helping me out!
You sound like you should be called ShinyBuzzkill now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Pyra Pyra do you actually want to be president, or just a head of a business?
Being president is too much to deal with.
You have to deal with the inevitable schism in the country no matter what your stances are.

Being a business owner, you only really have to handle your business unless you become a nationwide name like Bezos or Musk.

D

Deleted member

It is time.

Codename Brave: A user named “jam1garner” datamined Ultimate to find a character named “Brave”. Brave can be anything, but it has been closely related to Erdrick, because of a “Brave” class in that Japanese Dragon Quest game. Apparently they can not wall jump, are heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and is slower than Young Link, but faster than Kirby. You could point to it being “armor Erdrick”, but armor is usually slow, and Young Link is fast. It can be linked to “child Erdrick”, but I do not think Erdrick as a child can not be heavier than Mii Sword Fighter. I think Brave can be a lot of stuff, like Edea or Agnes. “Brave” is quite a vague word. It is a name of a class in that Dragon Quest name, but Brave is a lot of things too. Codenames are supposed to be only loosely tied, not too connected to the character. “Brave” is actually a really loose term that we do not know if they are using it to describe a character’s actions in that game, a character’s personality or title. A lot of characters can connect to “Brave”. Sans is brave for fighting Frisk at the Genocide Route, knowing that he will eventually die. Geno was inspired by Pinocchio, and Pnocchioo wants to be a real boy by being “brave”. The insiders and leakers got ahold of the “Jack” codename before we did. They were confused and did not know what to think. It was eventually settled on “Jack Frost”, as Jack Frost is the mascot of Atlus. If “Jack” was obtained before Joker, the leakers would have no clue what this would be. “Jack” can be a ton of names or references. So we can say the same about “Brave”, perhaps.

Complications: Square is stingy. Cloud only has two spirits, one stage, two songs, and no English voice actor, despite the fact that Cloud has been released in the West way before Fire Emblem ever has. Square could drop off another character, but who? Other Square characters are easier to put in than Erdrick. Take Geno for example. Geno fits the role of being heavier than Mii Sword Fighter but lighter than Mega Man, and faster than Kirby but slower than Young Link. In Palutena’s Guidance, a Super Mario RPG reference can be found. “Megasmilax” is mentioned, which is an enemy in Super Mario RPG. Mallow’s spirit is in, as well as Geno’s spirit. That whole “Spirits as DLC or not” debate is unsolved, for now. Piranha Plant’s image is also a reference to Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario RPG’s composer is on the team as well. Geno is also easier to obtain and he would please more people worldwide. This does not only apply to Geno, as some other square characters are also relevant.

As I previously mentioned I'm proud of you and you did a pretty good job for your first Essay here! I'm glad I could help a friend out.

Hit me up if you need help with anything like this again I'll be happy to help.

D

Deleted member

Being president is too much to deal with.
You have to deal with the inevitable schism in the country no matter what your stances are.

Being a business owner, you only really have to handle your business unless you become a nationwide name like Bezos or Musk.
Elon Musk creates a Tesla that runs on Toast ( 2020 A.D )

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I apologize to KMDP KMDP and whomever else, but I can't call Costa del Sol in FFVII without calling it Costa Rica.

Why are the names so similar, lmao. Love the place, though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Wow I can’t believe we finally saw what Zinith looks like under the Yoshi mask

View attachment 203752

...gotta say, not what I was expecting. Congrats on the news anchor job though, pal!
I look............ good... for my 28 years :yoshi:

What did your initial quote mean? I was kind of confused by it, haha
This is what happens when you get asked about piano sounds without much experience. The way it made sense in my head was that Burt's voice was a tough vibrato while Ernie's was mellow and quite (which we had a problem with keyboards before). Didn't translate well, and I question why they used that line out of the entire interview :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

He made an essay on why Erdrick isn’t guaranteed despite the fact nobody thinks he’s guaranteed.
In Shiny's defense quite a few people act like he's Guaranteed like r/SmashBros, Gamefaqs, 4Chan and other places too. Even here I've seen a small subsection of people act like he's guaranteed, even one of my friends act like he's guaranteed.

Some People can be dumb so if some Character seems super likely in their eyes they're practically guaranteed, I thought that for a few characters during Base Game too.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It is time.

Brings tears to the eye...

Although there is one invalid part.

Specifically the Cloud voice actor portion.

Steve Burton is considered a union actor. Smash is not a union project. Now I know some Union actors have used pseudo names or don’t appear in credits for non union projects (:ultpit: and :ultdarkpit:) but with Burton, his contract states only he can voice Cloud and must be credited in full. Since this goes against the Union, Cloud has his Japan voice.

Fun fact by the way. The summons from Midgar were online profile Icons in SSB4. SSBU... not so much.

So FF actually lost content between games

Just a fact for ya.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I apologize to KMDP KMDP and whomever else, but I can't call Costa del Sol in FFVII without calling it Costa Rica.

Why are the names so similar, lmao. Love the place, though.
Costa is just the Spanish word for Coast.

"Costa del Sol" literally just means "Coast of the Sun" or "Sunny Coast".

Fun fact, "Costa Rica" is Spanish for "Rich Coast".

D

Deleted member

Brings tears to the eye...

Although there is one invalid part.

Specifically the Cloud voice actor portion.

Steve Burton is considered a union actor. Smash is not a union project. Now I know some Union actors have used pseudo names or don’t appear in credits for non union projects (:ultpit: and :ultdarkpit:) but with Burton, his contract states only he can voice Cloud and must be credited in full. Since this goes against the Union, Cloud has his Japan voice.

Fun fact by the way. The summons from Midgar were online profile Icons in SSB4. SSBU... not so much.

So FF actually lost content between games

Just a fact for ya.
Thank you! I will add this to my essay.

Roberk

Smash Champion
It is time.

Hey guys, Bowser Reggie here, I hope you are excited about the new Smash Ultimate DLC fighter: Erdrick. Millions of fans across the world will remember Erdrick from the NES, SNES, and GB classic: Dragon Quest III. Now you'll be able to use the legendary hero in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch along with dozens of other gaming icons. That's all that we have for today in this Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gonna be honest:

this is more quantity than quality. Everything you've said here has already been picked apart pretty thoroughly in the Square Enix thread.

D

Deleted member

> grind a bit more to get to level 20 before crossing that mountain path into the cave
> got money and bought Revive materia
> Cloud's LVL 2 Limit Break fully complete with gaining Climhazzard

Oh yeah, now it's gamer time.

i'm blind.png

D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest:

this is more quantity than quality. Everything you've said here has already been picked apart pretty thoroughly in the Square Enix thread.
Those area all the biggest reasons. Any other reason is sort of mini.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, Bowser Reggie here, I hope you are excited about the new Smash Ultimate DLC fighter: Erdrick. Millions of fans across the world will remember Erdrick from the NES, SNES, and GBA classic: Dragon Quest III. Now you'll be able to use the legendary hero in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch along with dozens of other gaming icons. That's all that we have for today in this Nintendo Direct.
Well Yes but actually No.

In America across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: 100k purchases

In Europe across all the resales and releases DQ III only made: ??? (Didn't specify or give any hints), Let's just say 150k cause it's apparently bigger in Europe than in America.

Total (outside of Japan) = 350k

Inside of Japan Erdrick is a legendary Character and almost everyone in Japan knows of him, Outside of Japan not so much. He's Popular just not "Millions of people Across the world will remember him" levels of popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom