• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking about something I brought up the other day. A fight between Joker (Persona 5) and The Joker (DC Comics). I think I have the lynchpin that proves DC’s Joker takes it. His trademark Joker venom. If you follow Batman you know it’s a poison he carries that makes you laugh uncontrollably until you suffocate and die. It’s actually a concentration of the chemicals that changed him in the first place.

First off it’s impossible to be immune to this stuff. Case in point
But the thing that really counts is the fact that it destabilizes the victims mind before they die. So P5 Joker would theoretically loose control of his Persona as his mind crumbles.
I mean...if they are in the real world, Joker is just a freaking kid, so there wouldn't be any need for it in the first place.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I'm not gonna rank all of the MCU movies, but my favorites are definitely Infinity War, Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Speaking of which, I'm also finally going to see Captain Marvel today.

D

Deleted member

I was thinking about something I brought up the other day. A fight between Joker (Persona 5) and The Joker (DC Comics). I think I have the lynchpin that proves DC’s Joker takes it. His trademark Joker venom. If you follow Batman you know it’s a poison he carries that makes you laugh uncontrollably until you suffocate and die. It’s actually a concentration of the chemicals that changed him in the first place.

But the thing that really counts is the fact that it destabilizes the victims mind before they die. So P5 Joker would theoretically loose control of his Persona as his mind crumbles.
Pretty sure the joker could just beat him up, dude can keep up with batman sometimes and tuxedo mask is a teenager

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

One problem though, where are they actually fighting?

If it's the "real world" then P5Joker is essentially just a normal teenager in which case yeah, obviously he'd just die and maybe get tortured along the way.

But if it's the "metaverse" then P5Joker isn't actually "attackable" in direct means because his method of taking down baddies is buy entering representations of their deranged fantasies. At which point, you're more arguing if DCJoker's mind is messed up enough to kill the Phantom Thieves, which isn't really quantifiable at all.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
doesn't joker kill god at some point
faygo keep watching Blade, their version of Joker is even stronger
Oh boy, I'm ready for Spicy Lady.

real talk i'm disappointed spice girl didn't debut in yesterday's episode because i don't wanna wait another week to see trish kick ***
I cannot wait for Green Tea.

As awful as that name is, it's not like Green Day was a better name. Lots of Jojo fans are just weebs who go "Muh original" whenever a name gets changed but somettimes it's better imo

osby

Smash Obsessed
doesn't joker kill god at some point
Yeah, but he gets help.

Honestly, my biggest and main gripe with P5 are its antagonistic forces plummet in quality after Kamoshida.

Kamoshida was the perfect villain for the really specific angle of "invincible people abusing their power" He was as mundane as they come, but the fact that he held so much power over over everyone within the school system and abused it without any possible way of getting caught really did make it seem like vigilante justice was the only solution. His previous accolades within the Olympics made him make sense within the context of him being reduced to a school coach with a power trip.

And then after that, you devolve into Saturday Night cartoon villains who seem like their sole purpose of their existence is to be as cartoonishly and ridiculously evil as possible.
That even applies to final boss. It was kind of a letdown after P3 and P4 having such memorable and effective ones.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
MCU Rankings:
1. Picking
2. Favorites
3. Like
4. This
5. Is
6. Hard
7. Because
8. Something
9. Could
10. Be
11. Here
12. On
13. The
14. List
15. And
16. Still
17. Be
18. A
19. Great
20. Movie
21. Thor: The Dark World

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This'll be my last comment for now at least, until maybe later, mainly because I need to get off my rear end and start cleaning but I think I want to take a crack at the "top 10 favorite games list".

It's tough though, because for me it's not so much a game thing as much as it is by series. Granted, most of my favorite games are my favorites because of narrative and/or gameplay.

That said, here goes. In no particular order:

1) Super Mario 64
2) Pokemon (no particular title, I get supremely lit anytime one gets announced)
3) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
4) Bioshock
5) Persona 5
6) Either BOTW or Wind Waker. Both amazing games imo
7) Halo 3 (which needs the buildup of 1 and 2)
8) Overwatch
9) Metal Gear Solid (pretty much everything but 2 is tied for me)
10) Final Fantasy VII and X are also neck and neck

It probably seems like a cliche list, but damn if it wasn't difficult all the same. I probably also cheated, because the series picks aren't really singular games. But because I based my preferences on narrative, I couldn't really pick MGS4 or 5 because without the narrative of the others it isn't nearly as epic.

I probably would have been better off doing by series, but I've only played Persona 5 for Persona, and then VII, X, and XV for Final Fantasy.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Favorite Marvel movie has to probably go to the first Avengers movie. There really was nothing like it at the time, and as someone who grew up on Avengers comics it was exciting to see.

Worst one is Iron Man 3. Ruined the Mandarin, was poorly paced and edited, and had some honestly bad dialogue. I hate it, it's the only MCU movie that I would actually call bad.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!

If it's the "real world" then P5Joker is essentially just a normal teenager in which case yeah, obviously he'd just die.
But if it's the "metaverse" then P5Joker isn't actually "attackable" in direct means because his method of taking down baddies is buy entering representations of their deranged fantasies. At which point, you're more arguing if DCJoker's mind is messed up enough to kill the Phantom Thieves, which isn't really quantifiable at all.
Do they physically enter the cognitive world or is it a psychic link?

I will say this. The telepaths of the DC Universe are scared to go into The Jokers mind. That’s gotta count for something.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Favorite Marvel movie has to probably go to the first Avengers movie. There really was nothing like it at the time, and as someone who grew up on Avengers comics it was exciting to see.

Worst one is Iron Man 3. Ruined the Mandarin, was poorly paced and edited, and had some honestly bad dialogue. I hate it, it's the only MCU movie that I would actually call bad.
Tbf it's confirmed that there actually IS an actual Mandarin and that he was ****ing pissed at what happened in the movie too, I believe the short is called Hail to the King

D

Deleted member

Here's my rankings for Marvel Movies:

1) Winter Soldier
2) Civil War
3) Infinity War
4) Doctor Strange
5) Ragnarok
6) Guardians of the Galaxy
7) Black Panther
8) Spider Man
9) Avengers
10) Ant-Man
11) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
12) Iron Man
13) Ant-Man and the Wasp
14) Captain America
15) Iron Man 3
16) Age of Ultron
17) Thor
18) Captain Marvel
19) Iron Man 2
20) Thor 2
21) Incredible Hulk

All of them are at the very least good except for Thor 2 and Incredible Hulk

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That even applies to final boss. It was kind of a letdown after P3 and P4 having such memorable and effective ones.
The funny thing is, the boss got datamined and we found out...
He originally wasn't supposed to be Yaldabouth. He was actually Metatrton the angel, which explains why you fought the 4 archangels before you fought him and why his design isn't organic, but one that resembles a completely mechanical angel.

But yeah compared to like P3 where the entire plot was building up to it or P4 where it's at the very least implied, P5's does come... kinda out of nowhere when all the loose ends are already tied.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Osby could totally be a name, you can name your kid anything.

If I have twins i'm naming them Yin and Yang, just to mess with em.

D

Deleted member

>"Impossible to be immune"
>Literally Joker himself is immune to it otherwise he would have died long ago.
>Also Red Skull is shown to be immune because Joker Venom is similar to his own Dust of Death, which Joker is also immune to for the same reason

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Tbf it's confirmed that there actually IS an actual Mandarin and that he was ****ing pissed at what happened in the movie too, I believe the short is called Hail to the King
There's a short for Mandarin? I have to watch at some point then, that's good to know. Thank you.

D

Deleted member

Persona 4's final boss was pretty mediocre too, not gonna lie.

Not the murderer, but the Goddess herself. The entire narrative was based around catching the murderer and finding the truth, but questioning who made the midnight channel was never that much of a concern. It's like suddenly questioning where did God come from after you finished reading the Bible, and then suddenly Jesus dressed up as your neighbor comes over to throat chop you. If it was built up better and we saw her more before the encounter, maybe as a social link, she could have paid off.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, my biggest and main gripe with P5 are its antagonistic forces plummet in quality after Kamoshida.

Kamoshida was the perfect villain for the really specific angle of "invincible people abusing their power" He was as mundane as they come, but the fact that he held so much power over over everyone within the school system and abused it without any possible way of getting caught really did make it seem like vigilante justice was the only solution. His previous accolades within the Olympics made him make sense within the context of him being reduced to a school coach with a power trip.

And then after that, you devolve into Saturday Night cartoon villains who seem like their sole purpose of their existence is to be as cartoonishly and ridiculously evil as possible.
I was thinking that as I played as well. Kamoshida is probably the most compelling, and I think the best part was that he was a villain to literally all 3 beginning party members aside from Morgana. After that, the villains all seemed to kinda just focus on one of them.

However
I had this mind blowing moment last night on my way home from my weekly family dinner that quite honestly, the big villain arguably isn't even Yaldabaoth, but the people themselves. Complacency, moreso even. Or at least it's an interpretation. All it takes for someone to become a villain, or a part of Mementos is to be fine with the way things are, and not stand up to injustices or foul play. Surely, the shadows in Mementos were not an illusion. The people fed into the Holy Grail because it fulfilled their "eternal happiness". It is only because of the Phantom Thieves and Morgana standing up to it and inspiring others that they succeeded.

Moreso, the people you wanted validation and support from (or at least Ryuji) almost spell doom for you in the finale.

Goddamn I love video games. it doesn't help that my career basically has curtailed my brain to work a certain way.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Persona 4's final boss was pretty mediocre too, not gonna lie.

Not the murderer, but the Goddess herself. The entire narrative was based around catching the murderer and finding the truth, but questioning who made the midnight channel was never that much of a concern. It's like suddenly questioning who made the Big Bang after you finished reading the Bible, and then suddenly Jesus comes up to throat chop you. If it was built up better and we saw her more before the encounter, maybe as a social link, she could have paid off.
I know she's a very divisive character in the west, but I think Marie's Social Link was a fine enough built-up for Izanami.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
MCU Rankings:
1. Picking
2. Favorites
3. Like
4. This
5. Is
6. Hard
7. Because
8. Something
9. Could
10. Be
11. Here
12. On
13. The
14. List
15. And
16. Still
17. Be
18. A
19. Great
20. Movie
21. Thor: The Dark World
My listing goes
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Thor: Ragnorok
  3. Ant-Man and The Wasp
  4. Captain Marvel
  5. Dr Strange
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  7. The Avengers
  8. Captain America: The First Avenger
  9. Avengers: Infinity War
  10. Black Panther
  11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  12. Iron Man
  13. The Incredible Hulk
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Thor
  16. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  17. Captain America: Civil War
  18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  19. Iron Man 2
  20. Thor: The Dark World
  21. Iron Man 3

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
faygo keep watching Blade, their version of Joker is even stronger

I cannot wait for Green Tea.

As awful as that name is, it's not like Green Day was a better name. Lots of Jojo fans are just weebs who go "Muh original" whenever a name gets changed but somettimes it's better imo
Speaking of Stand name changes, while most are completely justified (even if they get changed to dumb **** like Sticky Fingers -> Zipper Man) there are some I just don't get. Like Cheap Trick being changed to Cheap Trap, and Clash being changed to Crush. Like, yeah, those are band names or whatever, but "cheap trick" is a widely used phrase, and "Clash" is just a single word. Those bands cannot claim the rights to those terms.

It's especially egregious when a stand like Heaven's Door was allowed to get through without any changes.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
>"Impossible to be immune"
>Literally Joker himself is immune to it otherwise he would have died long ago.
>Also Red Skull is shown to be immune because Joker Venom is similar to his own Dust of Death, which Joker is also immune to for the same reason
The Joker is literally the only one though. Those Marvel crossovers are also non-cannon. If this stuff can take out ****ing Superman, it will affect the Phantom Theif.

D

Deleted member

fun fact: the only way to get into heaven after you die is to beat mr miyagi in a 1v1

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

If it's the "real world" then P5Joker is essentially just a normal teenager in which case yeah, obviously he'd just die and maybe get tortured along the way.

Or, y'know, Joker (DC) could just be in the Metaverse.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll go even further. Not only is Captain America: The First Avenger one of my favorites in the MCU, but it's also, IMO, the best superhero origin story film.
Yes. Agreed whole-heartedly.
Time for Hot Takes with Ult.

-snip snop-
I haven't seen the Marvel movies passed GOG2 (basically Spiderman Homecoming and beyond), I should change that.

I'd say my top 5 Marvel movies, out of the ones I've seen, are Captain America, Avengers, the two Guardians of the Galaxy films and Dr. Strange (in no particular order).
Eh, the writing wasn't perfect but I feel as if the themes, setting, characters, and conflict themselves fit well together to create a cohesive, engaging experience.

In terms of the character growth, considering the game is also based on how you spend your limited time (I maxed out my social stats and confidant with Ann, Ryuji, Makoto and Yusuke) it makes sense that that's how the characters bonds grow. It was a bit unrealistic to me that the only way those bonds grew was through 1 on 1 hanging out, and that a group hang out didn't do the same, but based on game balance I knew why that wasn't a thing.

I don't know that certain characters became useless after awhile, but they each had their role to play. Throughout the story, while Makoto kinda seems like a "2nd in command", Ann still brings passion and a keen eye (she figures out certain things that the others don't), and Ryuji remains a hotheaded, but extremely well-meaning attitude.

I think part of the reason the stories of the individual characters isn't necessarily seen through main story events is because you're meant to do the confidant activities and build your relationships. At least, that's what Igor tells you at the beginning

Certainly, the relationship that Kamoshida had at the beginning is far different, but it's still that "teacher to student" relationship. As a teacher myself it's...quite awkward.

However, I do find that the context of the story not taking place in America is crucial to a westerners criticism. The way society views things is different, just like as you said with the age of consent.

Plus I mean...it's not like teens don't do it in America at that age. They shouldn't necessarily, but you'd be lying to yourself if you thought kids didn't do it.

When it comes to Joker, there's also that fact that when breaking the 4th wall, the player (as it's M rated, typically someone who can make adult decisions...I hope) is making a conscious decision to engage in the relationship. There's a ton of different contexts involved, but that's part of what makes the game so engaging, imo.

Oh, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't pick the "I'm a dad" option when you get to the maid scene. Hilarious.
I think quite a few fan's receptions to P5 are colored by the fact that several of P5's characters are deliberately derivative of the P4 characters.

Ryuji is the "1st male friend" just like Yosuke.
Ann works in the same business as Rise (Ann is a model, Rise is an Idol)
Morgana is non-human, just like Teddie.
In both games, the last recruited character is publicly known as "The Detective Prince"

I actually like this aspect of P5, though.

Man, I should really actually play the games. If only they'd release P3 and P4 on the Switch or PS4...

D

Deleted member

I know she's a very divisive character in the west, but I think Marie's Social Link was a fine enough built-up for Izanami.
Assuming you play Golden, a PS Vita exclusive, on your first run of the game. We could debate how hamfisted she might be, but I think the reality is most people probably wont even know about her if they just play vanilla Persona 4. (Though, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax included her so she is technically canon now.)

D

Deleted member

The Joker is literally the only one though. Those Marvel crossovers are also non-cannon. If this stuff can take out ****ing Superman, it will affect the Phantom Theif.
My argument is not that Ren is immune to it. My argument is that you can't claim it is impossible to be immune when we have legitimate cases where we see someone immune (which includes The Joker himself).

You can't pull the "non-canon" card on Red Skull either as any instance where Ren and The Joker would meet would be non-canon as well, so by that logic he could easily be immune for whatever reason since such interaction would be impossible in the first place.

TL;DR: Don't speak in absolutes when there is evidence of otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom