• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I would say, "Didja miss me?!" but you already said you kinda did.

I finished Persona 5 last night. It has broken my Top 10 favorite games I think, I'm considering buying the soundtrack on iTunes, and I feel like part of my outlook on life has changed quite a bit.

It's weird because I beat the final boss on Thursday night, had the Valentine's Day scene on Thursday night, but had school to work on Friday so I had to go to bed because I had no idea what was left at that point.

Like obviously there are certain tropes of these stories in regard to the ending, but I expected it to be bittersweet. I came around, and I do like the ending. The game in its entirety have made me rethink "my justice", and how to really change the world. By that I mean, you have to do what you think is right. But on the other hand, simply changing a few individuals isn't enough: you have to change the hearts of the many before you can truly see meaningful change.

For the game to come out in 2016, I felt that the plot and certain things about it struck too close to home. It almost had like an Orwellian feeling to it. Other things include the fact that I didn't know Matt Mercer voiced Yusuke (brilliant), and I never knew that I could develop such an attachment to a group of teenagers who exist within the confines of the game, but then again based on the fanart and love for the characters I don't even know if that's true.

Based on this game, while I'm not really convinced to play other Persona titles (idk, I don't really like the character designs and the P5 design just fits perfectly in ways that imo the other games don't, but that's based on a trivial understanding of those games), I kinda wish I'd played it when I played Red Dead Redemption 2. If that had been the case, I would have been through a game that changed my life and then seen the protagonist get into my overall favorite series of all time. Considering that, and the fact that the 3rd party cast is already 10/10 for me, I'm honestly at the point where I don't necessarily care who else gets into Smash.

What I thought was especially relatable for me with this game was that...well, even though the way the Phantom Thieves changed hearts was through battle, it wasn't a punishment to the wrongdoers. It was an attempt to help them see the error of their ways and make things right. That, to me, is a vital difference in how social change is believed to be brought about in 2019. I've recently made a return to Twitter, and I see plenty of people just saying how terrible other people are for believing certain things, and while things like racism and sexism, and homophobia or transphobia, or the results of what we'd call "**** culture" are terrible things, telling people who practice harmful behaviors that they don't inherently think about that they're bad people isn't the solution.

Shouting at people and telling them they're bad people for something they understand as normal isn't going to make things better. It makes them angry. It's negative adding to negative, which doesn't make things more positive. It just makes people angry.

In an interesting twist, my colleagues were talking about how positivity with students can change their outlook on their effort to change a behavior when the situation is handled differently. For example, there's a difference if I tell a student to put their phone away in a passive aggressive way in front of everybody vs. kindly greeting them at the door, and then after a period of time tell them quietly to put it away. This isn't to say that horrible things in society, or injustices are to be solved by quietly telling people to stop being a racist for example, but the premise is moreso that using negativity to change a negative behavior to a positive one doesn't work.

More than anything, to change the world on a large scale, nobody...not even a "chosen one" like an anime protagonist can do it on their own. You have to work together with people of different backgrounds, but a similar interest in reform.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. But as Ryuji would say, "For real" I had to get that out there.

Persona 5 is a great game. Play it. Or wait for it on Switch and THEN play it.

It was a weird moment for me at the end, mainly because whoever you pick for your "romance" in the story ends up in bed with you, which either gives you a teen x teen underage sex implication, or the exact thing that you sought to correct with Kamoshida. Everyone went with their own thing, but I have to say that Ann was the best pick to me. She's a sweetheart and exhibits growth for herself in an authentic way. Sorry Makoto fans, I simply think she's kinda dull. Ann expresses her outward love for the protagonist and is bubbly, whereas Makoto, at least to me, is kinda like, "Oh, ok". I could go on forever about this, but then it would turn into a potential waifu war. War is pointless.

Mainly because Ann is best waifu
Now that’s a comeback. Well you certainly did a good job convincing me the game is worth a look, interesting to hear that the game touches upon themes like that. I feel like in this current climate entertainment has a bigger voice than ever in regards to social issues.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Wait.... if Nintendo and Microsoft are willing to work together now.....

Banjo-Kazzoie One Plus Tooie HD Remake
Donkey Kong 64 HD Remake
All on Switch so Stop n Swap can function as originally intended
Top it all of with a Diddy Kong Racing HD remake featuring all the original characters and an expanded cast

Please. I will pay any amount of money for this!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I should be interesting to see what you take from it considering your age. It may be similar to what I took from it as a 26 year old, but I will truly be curious to see what you think. That's no slight toward you, as I consider you rather mature for your age, which is something I was always told by others at that age.

Weird.

Speaking of your age, I talked to some of my students about their research topics (they were told to research a topic they felt that couldn't stay quiet about, so students have been picking stuff like police brutality, poverty, gender inequality, toxic masculinity, all the good topics). I told them to look for "their justice", and that phrase seemed to resonate with them. It at least helped one student realize what she really wanted to research, which was youth incarceration.

Guess where I got that idea from?
“And here’s why Nintendo absolutely needs to release a Xenoblade Chronicals 2 DLC costume pack in which Pyra and Mythra wear sundresses instead of their normal outfit...”

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I love how everyone I know who loves P5 seems to agree the writing is bad tbh
the one scene that absolutely has to be seen to be believed in terms of how bad the writing can occasionally get

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
the one scene that absolutely has to be seen to be believed in terms of how bad the writing can occasionally get
Can't watch it but from what I can gather, Ann, Ryuji and Haru get **** on by the writers the most.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You know what gets me, I knew people didn’t like 2. But I didn’t here ANYONE say they hated 1 until after 3 was out. And nobody hated either movie right when they came out. It’s like these movies just are not allowed to fail.
I always felt the original Thor was just fine. I will agree it's probably the most flawed out of the Phase 1 set as Iron Man, Captain America and especially Avengers were great movies, but in terms of being an origin story that set up the world of Asgard, Thor, and Loki it did its job. Thor 2 it certainly ain't in terms of quality.

D

Deleted member

I love how everyone I know who loves P5 seems to agree the writing is bad tbh
I find the writing to be pretty immersive, but the overall narrative becomes routine around the fifth dungeon. Plus

Goro as a character is completely squandered in favor of making the penultimate boss even more of a ****. Plus his betrayal is so easy to see. Add how he's "the man in the black mask" mentioned in Dungeon 2, but isn't really relevant until Dungeon 5. Speaking of, Dungeon 5 could have been cut out easily and Haru is pretty useless in the overall narrative. Cliched, "this person died off camera but actually survived the events" bull****. Character development is locked behind social links, which harms the narrative exponentially because growth for these characters feel hamfisted after their awakening. Lolis.

I think Persona 4 had a stronger narrative that built upon itself really well while balancing gameplay (Suck it, Persona 3), but Persona 5's story is poignant when it needs to be because it covers a lot of ground and encourages the use of empathy incredibly well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
P5's a great game, but honestly, it feels like t's a JRPG that appeals to those who have no interest in JRPGs.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

Donkey Kong 64 HD Remake
Can I just say that this, specifically, is a huge dream-want of mine? This would honestly be amazing. More balanced collecting? A redone score with live instrument performances? I would die of happiness, tbh.

D

Deleted member

I honestly didn't like a single phase 1 MCU movie, it took me a long time to start actually enjoying them and GotG was the first I'd put anywhere near a "favorite movies list"

D

Deleted member

Can't watch it but from what I can gather, Ann, Ryuji and Haru get **** on by the writers the most.
Oh yeah. Ann is ****ing useless, plot wise, after you get Makoto. If they want to seduce a man, they'll use Anne, but that's all she's worth for the story. Ryuji's kind of insufferable, but he grabs the scene by the horns and offers a better perspective compared to Anne's passive role. Haru could have been written out entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I honestly didn't like a single phase 1 MCU movie, it took me a long time to start actually enjoying them and GotG was the first I'd put anywhere near a "favorite movies list"
How dare you Captain America is an amazing one

I hated DK64 to the point I went "**** this" but that gamee can be 50 times better if you didn't have to switch characters out just to get the colour coded items. **** you Rare what do you mean I can't grab a yellow banana, blue coin and red blueprint?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Donkey Kong 64 HD Remake
Top it all of with a Diddy Kong Racing HD remake featuring all the original characters and an expanded cast

Look, Nintendo and Microsoft are surely on great terms.

But I don't believe they're there yet.

Why don't we see how well a Rare Replay for Switch does first, yeah?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As far as Sword and Shield is concerned, I am a definite member of the Grookey Gang.

What can I say? Time passed and the little fella's design really grew on me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Holy **** that's legitimately horrible dialogue writing.

Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Avengers were all Phase One and were great though.

D

Deleted member

How dare you Captain America is an amazing one

I hated DK64 to the point I went "**** this" but that gamee can be 50 times better if you didn't have to switch characters out just to get the colour coded items. **** you Rare what do you mean I can't grab a yellow banana, blue coin and red blueprint?
Winter Soldier is the knly good Cap movie. You can't change my mind.

D

Deleted member

Are you alright buddy? Would talking about any of the things you’ve explicitly objected to over the last week make you feel better?
The sexualisation of the female characters in the Mortal Kombat franchise and 11’s approach to it.

Wow, I already feel better!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I find the writing to be pretty immersive, but the overall narrative becomes routine around the fifth dungeon. Plus

Goro as a character is completely squandered in favor of making the penultimate boss even more of a ****. Plus his betrayal is so easy to see. Add how he's "the man in the black mask" mentioned in Dungeon 2, but isn't really relevant until Dungeon 5. Speaking of, Dungeon 5 could have been cut out easily and Haru is pretty useless in the overall narrative. Cliched, "this person died off camera but actually survived the events" bull****. Character development is locked behind social links, which harms the narrative exponentially because growth for these characters feel hamfisted after their awakening. Lolis.

I think Persona 4 had a stronger narrative that built upon itself really well while balancing gameplay (Suck it, Persona 3), but Persona 5's story is poignant when it needs to be because it covers a lot of ground and encourages the use of empathy incredibly well.
I think this is a pretty common sentiment within the fanbase.

Do you want good gameplay with an okay story? Persona 5.
Do you want a good story with lesser gameplay? Persona 4 (Golden)

It's like the difference between Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh, forgot to mention the Pokémon with Asterix' need to be scaled down.

About your roster: It's quite large.
I like most of it a lot, but there are some Pokémon (Granbull, Scrafty, Mienshao) that seem a bit out of place and you seem to prioritise bipeds quite a lot (something I'm dealing with too).
Also might I ask why GenV is the only gen without starters to rep it?
I'd say Serperior or Dewott would make great characters!

Overall your roster is awesome but I'm missing some strangeness-potential
Considering the normal Smash roster, it’s much easier for imagine more bipedal characters working with Smash movesets,

I talked with Zinith yesterday about Seviper but same thing applies with Serperior because of their body types, I’m struggling to find basic moves for Milotic on my Cynthia ideas as it is. I could put in Oshawott/Dewott though.

I like the novelty of Granbull being a masculine fairy type, heard it’s more useful because of that. Also still I’ve heard about how useful Scrafty and Mienshao are in the games plus the fighting typing also helped me pick them.

But yeah not everything is permanent and I’ll workshop this idea with you more if you want.

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong 64 HD Remake
Man I would love a remake of DK 64 that ironed out so much trash from that game. For example:

• Give me a talon trot because these characters are slow compared to the massive worlds they're in
  • Let me switch Kongs on the fly.
Those are the two general issues with the game that build up a lot of flak as you keep going.

As for Banjo-Kazooie? Man I just want an actual Banjo-Threeie. Technically Yooka-Laylee is exactly that, albeit, a couple years late, but I'm talking about a full on Mario Odyssey quality sequel to Tooie. If we're getting Rare Replay, I don't need a remake.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It was a weird moment for me at the end, mainly because whoever you pick for your "romance" in the story ends up in bed with you, which either gives you a teen x teen underage sex implication, or the exact thing that you sought to correct with Kamoshida. Everyone went with their own thing, but I have to say that Ann was the best pick to me. She's a sweetheart and exhibits growth for herself in an authentic way. Sorry Makoto fans, I simply think she's kinda dull. Ann expresses her outward love for the protagonist and is bubbly, whereas Makoto, at least to me, is kinda like, "Oh, ok". I could go on forever about this, but then it would turn into a potential waifu war. War is pointless.

Mainly because Ann is best waifu
The thing about this is that what Kamoshida did was active sexual assault, forcing himself on the girls while they had no intention of engaging. The adult women you can date, while they are certainly in positions of power over Joker (especially Kawakami), are engaging in an actual relationship that both want to be a part of.

There's a big difference between these two things.

Regarding the "two teens dating" thing, I'm guessing it's pretty hard for an American player to get over the mental hurdle that the Age of Consent in Japan is lower than the (perceived) AOC of America (the AOC in America varies from State-to-State, but it's 18 in California, where all the media is made, so that influences how people think).

Of course, even in countries with a lower AOC than America, any adult dating a student would be more than a little eyebrow raising (and it's kind of worrying that so much Japanese media nowadays has "hot-for-teacher" stuff in it).

Also, I finished a picture of Ann yesterday, which you can find here.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Winter Soldier is the knly good Cap movie. You can't change my mind.
Shishoe... I gotta disagree w/ you there.

I'll admit the 1st Captain America wasn't the best, but Civil War was still great. Not as good as Winter Solider imo, but still good even by current Marvel standards

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong 64 HD Remake

I would prefer a Rare Replay port with maybe the OG DKC + DK64 games thrown in there and an actual Banjo-Threeie.

An HD remake would be cool but we already have the Remakes for the Xbox so we really don't need another one so I would prefer to put that time into making an actual Banjo-Threeie.

D

Deleted member

The sexualisation of the female characters in the Mortal Kombat franchise and 11’s approach to it.

Wow, I already feel better!
Real talk, I really did like Kitana's and Mileena's designs in MK10. They felt like natural clothing for a primitive culture of demon royalty to wear. They reveal but it's not that different to the male Outworld characters. It's not like the bikinis in MK9, or, in Mileena's case in 9, being literally nude. Really hope they stick with these or something similar to them.

Kitana and Mileena ^

Male Outworlder Character Design ^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom