• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You wont get sent to an asylum. Therapists deal with **** like suicidal thoughts, low self-esteem, and pretty much irrational behavior all of the time. Plus if you're not being honest with your therapist, the people who are trying to help you, that's issue #1. You gotta open up some times and face the music in order to heal.
You’re right. I’m going back next week. I’ll try to talk about it again.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don’t want to end up in the looney bin. That would effectively ruin my life.
What's "the looney bin" to you? Because if it's a mental hospital, then that's horribly false.

I would know because I spent about a week in one two years ago. Nowadays I'm a successful college student, and people don't know I have mental disorders unless I tell them.

As for you, medical records are typically kept confidential, so it's not like anyone would ever find out unless you tell them. Far from life-ruining if you ask me. More than that, you'd only be put in one if you're a threat to yourself (suicide or extreme self-harm) or others (murder or homicide), which don't seem to be what you're dealing with at all. You'll be fine. Just go in, be honest, and make an effort to better yourself and you'll do great! :)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Think we need some wholesome art to lift everyone’s spirits again.

I’ll start with a distressed daughter bean in between a goddess bean and reincarnated goddess bean:

And a dragon hugging a hedgehog:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What's "the looney bin" to you? Because if it's a mental hospital, then that's horribly false.

I would know because I spent about a week in one two years ago. Nowadays I'm a successful college student, and people can't even tell I have mental disorders unless I tell them.

As for you, medical records are typically kept confidential, so it's not like anyone would ever find out unless you tell them. Far from life-ruining if you ask me.
I understand. I’m just terrified of getting trapped there. Blame Hollywood I guess.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I would know because I spent about a week in one two years ago. Nowadays I'm a successful college student, and people can't even tell I have mental disorders unless I tell them.

As for you, medical records are typically kept confidential, so it's not like anyone would ever find out unless you tell them. Far from life-ruining if you ask me.
It's a side effect of the horrible nature of older Mental Asylums.

The ones that used to use Shock Therapy and the like.

The ones that are in Horror Stories.

Yeah, those ones.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
This asylum talk reminds me of that one episode in Spongebob where him and Patrick stole a balloon, and thought they were going to be locked up forever. If admitting to or having suspicions that you might not be right in the head meant getting forced into a straitjacket, no one would go to a psychiatrist or a doctor to get treated.

I totally get it though. It's scary approaching people with deeply-rooted issues. You already assume the worst, but you need to make yourself vulnerable a little. Give people, especially professionals, a chance to help you with your problems.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I’ll start with a distressed daughter bean in between a goddess and reincarnated goddess:

I'm here...

You know what that means :yoshi:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I understand. I’m just terrified of getting trapped there. Blame Hollywood I guess.
Okay but Hollywood is actually **** at portraying mental illness.

Don't get me started on this topic because I can go for days.

To sum it up: Hollywood and TV don't know **** about mental disorders, what they are, or how they're treated. Portrayals of mental disorders on TV shows and in movies are whack, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

I’ll start with a distressed daughter bean in between a goddess bean and reincarnated goddess bean:

Keep DAE Sonic away from CornyCutiepie

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This asylum talk reminds me of that one episode in Spongebob where him and Patrick stole a balloon, and thought they were going to be locked up forever. If admitting to or having suspicions that you might not be right in the head meant getting forced into a straitjacket, no one would go to a psychiatrist or a doctor to get treated.

I totally get it though. It's scary approaching people with deeply-rooted issues. You already assume the worst, but you need to make yourself vulnerable a little. Give people, especially professionals, a chance to help you with your problems.
I mean, nonchalantly saying that the loss of human free will would create a Utopia and that you would do it if you had the power is more than a little troublesome.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's a side effect of the horrible nature of older Mental Asylums.

The ones that used to use Shock Therapy and the like.

The ones that are in Horror Stories.

Yeah, those ones.
Okay, but we're not in the 1950s anymore. This isn't One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest with the tyrannical Nurse Ratched and the Combine eating up patients. Mental Healthcare facilities are valid, and the stigma surrounding them is incredibly harmful to those who need them the most.
I mean, nonchalantly saying that the loss of human free will would create a Utopia and that you would do it if you had the power is more than a little troublesome.
Not troublesome enough to land you in a mental hospital though.

Unless you actually intend on trying to do it. That might end you up in one for a bit.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Today I didn't draw a lewd and now I feel ill as ****.
Dunno if they're related V:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
crashes back through the thread's front door

And one more thing, I've been very tolerant with some of you but just because this is an ultra casual thread doesn't mean you can just say what you want to some people.
It costs literally nothing to be a decent human being and empathy goes a long way if you can provide it.
I'm rather disappointed in the thread tonight, not that it particularly matters coming from me.
Not just anything that may or may not have happened today, but for a while y'all have been lowkey cultivating an environment where it's acceptable to put people down. I get it with some things, but the extent some of you take it is absolutely absurd and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Also Captain Falcon deserved a god damn echo fighter.

casually walks back out through door hole

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looks at all of those likes I could have gotten

/s

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, but we're not in the 1950s anymore. This isn't One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest with the tyrannical Nurse Ratched and the Combine eating up patients. Mental Healthcare facilities are valid, and the stigma surrounding them is incredibly harmful to those who need them the most.
Of course.

"Fun" fact, my paternal grandmother apparently had shock therapy. I won't say why.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Unless you actually intend on trying to do it. That might end you up in one for a bit.
That’s good, I’m not about to become some sort of.... serial SRS surgeon.

D

Deleted member

Me when someone says Erdrick is guaranteed for Smash Bros:
ooooooooooo.png

Erdrick is not guaranteed, dang it!

I really have to make that analysis, dang it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay but Hollywood is actually **** at portraying mental illness.

Don't get me started on this topic because I can go for days.

To sum it up: Hollywood and TV don't know **** about mental disorders, what they are, or how they're treated. Portrayals of mental disorders on TV shows and in movies are whack, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
To be fair, I don't think most people, even those who work with or have mental illness, really know much about it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
chill man, im just trying to have fun :239:also there was really nothing i found worthy of reporting, they didn't break any rules
I honestly didn't mean for that to be directed at you. Only used your post as a way to get it out to the rest if the thread so sorry for that.
You mean to tell me that the mods aren't all-powerful and all-knowing?

Surely you're joking.
Uh, uh, oh ****...

N-no, we are, I swear. We uh, know exactly when everything is happening. Y-yeah. Totally.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

I went to a mental hospital once when I was 14. I actually really enjoyed it. It was nice, relaxed, and friendly. The only bad experience was that the first night there I was really scared (I wasn't actually told much in advance about where I was going or why), and I pressed the buzzer for help, only for some unpleasant young woman to show up and not really care about my emotions and tell me that the buzzer is only for emergencies. When I told another staff member about that, they said that was wrong and shouldn't have happened.

Otherwise, I had a very nice, peaceful time. When I told my therapist I wanted to go back, she was actually surprised and a little concerned, because no one's ever wanted to go back before. Most people apparently hated it, for some reason.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Try Dark Samus on online.

Get into Elite in four matches.

Try to get Samus into Elite...