• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Was one announced?

I enjoyed Breath of the Wild a lot. On my first run, I got all the shrines and about half the Korok seeds. On my second, I made it a 100% completionist run where I explored every location, did every shrine, did every sidequest, and found all 900 Korok seeds.

But the game's sidequests mostly suck (get X amount of item, bring to person, get Rupees), the Divine Beasts are too short and too similar for how significant and built-up they are, and the story is anemic.
My issue with BoTW is too much empty space, the durability system, a lack of "proper" dungeons, and enemy variety.

There's a lot of space to explore and run around in in BoTW, but a solid half of that is empty space for you to either fight enemies or do nothing. I don't think it should be more condensed, but maybe add some more content worth running around in. They don't even tell you where the minigames are (or hint at it through NPCs) in the map, and I've only found three of the six on my own through blind searching. Every Zelda game (except Skyward Sword) has had this type of problem. It's like three minutes of walking around before you find something to do, and then you're off for another three minutes to do something else. Add something in there for gods' sake.

Durability system is easy enough to nitpick about. Just give me a meter about how much durability I'm using.

Outside of repetitive shrine environments. the Divine Beasts are the only dungeons, and they're lacking. Shrines usually have good puzzles, but I think there were a tad too many Blessings shrines, and the combat trials got really repetitive. The Pillar/Magnesis Block/Cryonis is good to do maybe twice for varying difficulties, but after that it's just not worth it. Especially if you end up finding all the Major Battle shrines before the Minor Battle shrines (like I did like a doofus being too scared to fight guardians). I want actual envrionments with neat puzzles attached to it.

I would've loved more enemy types and variants. Actual Stalfos, Darknuts, Iron Knuckles, other types of minibosses that isn't the generic three plus Lynel, and probably more that I can't think about right now. The DLC Monk is legit the most fun I've had fighting an enemy since when I was ready to fight Lynels and Thunderblight Ganon. Speaking of the blights, they suck, except Thunderblight for being an actual challenge. Calamity Ganon himself was pretty dumb though, it went from a pretty decent fight to just being plain dumb. What's sad is that the game implies that that's the literal end for Ganon (until they run out of ideas and need him again) and BoTW is the end of all three timelines so far, and boy was that a terrible way to go out. Nintendo, recognize that I like Ganondorf, not just Ganon.

I'm totally down with this new formula of Zelda, I like the new spin they took on the series and the exploration. If they condense the map (which they probably will because of time restraints, Majora's Mask 2.0 I assume), I hope they will atleast shove a lot of content into the rough patches.

How many of the old 3D Zeldas have you played?
every one except skyward sword, but i know enough about it

osby

Smash Obsessed
What is/are your biggest gaming faux pas(es?)?

One of mine.......I've never played Majora's Mask, yet I claim to be a huge Zelda fan.
For someone who calls himself a Sonic fan, I actually own very little of his games.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Keep ****posting so I don't have to focus on myself. :dr^_^:
Gotcha' boss.

One of mine.......I've never played Majora's Mask, yet I claim to be a huge Zelda fan.
Despite being a huge fan of Xenoblade Chronicles I still have yet to beat it.

I've made it to Prison Island twice and then stopped due to a lack of time to continue.

I've also never seriously played any Sonic games.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So I'm feeling pretty depressed tonight, in a lot of pain too so that isn't helping much. :drshrug:
Take solace in the knowledge that someone, somewhere, whose beliefs fundamentally run counter to yours, is getting kicked in the nuts right now.

I didn't play Majora's Mask until 3D came out.

I've never beaten Ocarina of Time.

I couldn't get past the Rail Shooter section of Star Fox Adventures (on the final planet). Star Fox Adventures is the only Star Fox game I've played.

I play more licensed games than "proper" games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, I see, you're challenging me to a fight.

When and where?
Nah It's just that I accidentally left you out of the tier list It's cause you're too OP just like Brawl Meta Knight! I'm not looking for any fight

For real though I would also put you in the top tiers since you're a pretty cool person too

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
tfw you make a really long and dedicated post but it gets blocked by a page skip and now no one will care to go back and look at it

1500355895194.png

Shroob

Sup?
Take solace in the knowledge that someone, somewhere, whose beliefs fundamentally run counter to yours, is getting kicked in the nuts right now.

I didn't play Majora's Mask until 3D came out.

I've never beaten Ocarina of Time.

I couldn't get past the Rail Shooter section of Star Fox Adventures (on the final planet). Star Fox Adventures is the only Star Fox game I've played.

I play more licensed games than "proper" games.
Nah, I'm not that petty. I want everyone to get along, regardless of beliefs.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Only Zelda game I've ever played was Hyrule Warriors (which I did like).

So yeah... not very into the Zelda franchise.

I bought Twilight Princess HD a few years back along with the Midna Amiibo... never opened either of them.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ugh, I'm really not excited for ANOTHER open world Zelda game. -_-.

I'm sorry but BoTW is overrated. It's good but It's just TOO big. I just wanted the game end already by the time I got the 3rd Divine Beast. The Divine Beasts were actually my favorite part of the game but they're TOO short. And seriously, enough with the open world fad, it's tiresome.
Yeah, outside of Spider-Man games, Arkham City and Hulk Ultimate Destruction, I'm not really into open-world games. Though I'd probably like the Infamous titles.

But exploration is what most people want out of Zelda. Though I'd be hype if they had a game with more than a dozen of really, really well thought out and unique looking dungeons. For me that's the highlight of the series and why I liked Twilight Princess a fair bit. Some of the things inbetween is okay I guess.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I find your input on writing very helpful, and i'm sure once Cartoon Network realizes i'm a genius i'll think back to your advice.
Aww, thanks! Let me know if you ever need any advice on anything writing-related.

I'm just a student, of course, and haven't necessarily proven myself in any professional capacity. And I'll admit my writing only got what I can call "good" less than four years ago. But I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two after years and years of work.

I know enough to recognize that this dialogue from the script we workshopped in class yesterday is... terrible:

Monolith is hiring people for a Zelda game.

Also I know I just said this but I cannot stress enough how more enjoyable BotW would be with mobility upgrades. Bring back the Spinner from TP to go down hills super fast or something, a Pegasus Boots upgrade that makes Link faster, an eel outfit or something that makes climbing slippery surfaces easier than regular cliffs and a goddamn hookshot that can make you just avoid half of the climbwork
Well, they helped on Breath of the Wild, and we knew that we were getting another BotW-style game.

Bring back the Spinner from TP to go down hills super fast or something
OH MAN, are any of you familiar with the Super Spinner Action Replay code from Twilight Princess? It's awesome. Something like that (though obviously not as busted) would bring me so much joy.

Though the Master Cycle was a nice upgrade, it's one of the few items that requires a very large time investment in order to acquire, since it requires defeating all four Divine Beasts in addition to a bunch of extra trials. So by the time you get it, you've already put so many hours into the playthrough.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For someone who calls himself a Sonic fan, I actually own very little of his games.
I mean considering his track record,... Hell, I just saw SomecallmeJohnny stream his attempt to get all the emblems and SA2, one of his favourites, kept ****ting the bed by havingthe Gun Truck apparently ****ing shoot him and Green Forest nearly made him throw his controller lmao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
botw made me giddy once for finding a legitimate cave of goodies i found near the yiga clan hideout

i dont know if an NPC even ever talked about it, but the entire space and discovery gave me the ****** look

soy.gif

i bet thats how 1985 folks felt when zelda 1 came out and bombed a cave

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aww, thanks! Let me know if you ever need any advice on anything writing-related.

I'm just a student, of course, and haven't necessarily proven myself in any professional capacity. And I'll admit my writing only got what I can call "good" less than four years ago. But I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two after years and years of work.

I know enough to recognize that this dialogue from the script we workshopped in class yesterday is... terrible:

Well, they helped on Breath of the Wild, and we knew that we were getting another BotW-style game.

OH MAN, are any of you familiar with the Super Spinner Action Replay code from Twilight Princess? It's awesome. Something like that (though obviously not as busted) would bring me so much joy.

Though the Master Cycle was a nice upgrade, it's one of the few items that requires a very large time investment in order to acquire, since it requires defeating all four Divine Beasts in addition to a bunch of extra trials. So by the time you get it, you've already put so many hours into the playthrough.
Look at it this way.

For as stilted and awkward as that dialogue may be... it's better than classic Resident Evil dialogue.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh **** i never mentioned the voice acting in BOTW

either can it or get some better actors, i didn't imagine zelda would be trying her best impression of the thirteenth doctor over here. and then smash zelda literally blows her entire existence out of the water by being a good voice actor

the voices in this game suck major ass

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

either can it or get some better actors, i didn't imagine zelda would be trying her best impression of the thirteenth doctor over here. and then smash zelda literally blows her entire existence out of the water by being a good voice actor

the voices in this game suck major ***
I actually prefer the CD-i voice acting. At least it's so bad that it's funny. BOTW's was just... ehhh.

Shroob

Sup?
I gotta ask:

What exactly was the 'turning point' towards Majora's Mask?

I remember it was loathed for years as being the 'bad' 3D Zelda, and it seemed like it had the most niche of fanbases online.

I legit can't remember when the switch was flipped that suddenly everyone and their mom started to appreciate MM.

Was it really BEN Drowned that started that, or just a weird wave of nostalgia + "Muh deep dark symbolism"?

D

Deleted member

You've been a top tier poster for me since day 1.

When I was lurking I knew you were rad.
Ever since I got on this site and was lurking in the Square Thread I always thought he was one of the Smartest people on this site in-fact DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon was my inspiration for making my Speculation Piece! I look up to him a whole lot and out of all the posters here he's one of my inspirations.

D

Deleted member

Let's see...
  • Loved Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, even though I barely paid attention to the prequel trilogy (nor was I a fan to begin with lol)
  • Only Sonic games I've played was Adventure and Mania, even though I claim to be a semi-casual fan of Sonic
  • Overtime do not like Smash For, though I bought all the DLC
  • Huge Xenoblade fan, though I can't remember much scenes from any games for the life of me
  • Love DOOM, only played 2016 DOOM

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nah, I'm not that petty. I want everyone to get along, regardless of beliefs.
That was mostly a joke, even I don't do that. :laugh:

Let's just jam to good music.
...Gee, I've been weirdly musical today.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I gotta ask:

I remember it was loathed for years as being the 'bad' 3D Zelda, and it seemed like it had the most niche of fanbases online.

I legit can't remember when the switch was flipped that suddenly everyone and their mom started to appreciate MM.

Was it really BEN Drowned that started that, or just a weird wave of nostalgia + "Muh deep dark symbolism"?
i never saw majoras mask as a hated game, just a game with a hated mechanic

also, remember nevet1212 and the old zelda abridged **** or was that just my imagination

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I gotta ask:

The same reason why people ended up bouncing around to liking Wind Waker I suppose, it has a very different feel than the standard Zelda formula which had kind of been the same since Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask's gimmick gave a more exciting incentive to do sidequests too, as you'd get more Masks with power ups. Wind Waker changed the battle system a little with a parry attack and people ended up enjoying the adventurous feeling of sailing, especially when the HD version gave us the Swift Sail

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Give us Cyborg Link or a Link in his Mid-20's. He's got to look RAAADICAAAAL! Y'know, unless he's a younger kid like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

But I'd still prefer it if they had an older Link at some point. Something different.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

At least you recognize you should play (at least I assume so from how you phrased that)..I have friend that straight up refuses to play Majora's Mask because, and I qoute, 'If I wanted to play a Dark Atmosphere Zelda, I'd just play Twilight Princess'...

For me..I actually like the following the games.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Star Fox Adventures
- Mega Man X6

And I don't like the following games..
- The Legend of Zelda (1st game, I love the series)
- Final Fantasy I-III

Shroob

Sup?
As fun as it is to dump on Skyward Sword, the game had a fantastic soundtrack if nothing else, and the character interactions were great.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
My issue with BoTW is too much empty space, the durability system, a lack of "proper" dungeons, and enemy variety.

There's a lot of space to explore and run around in in BoTW, but a solid half of that is empty space for you to either fight enemies or do nothing. I don't think it should be more condensed, but maybe add some more content worth running around in. They don't even tell you where the minigames are (or hint at it through NPCs) in the map, and I've only found three of the six on my own through blind searching. Every Zelda game (except Skyward Sword) has had this type of problem. It's like three minutes of walking around before you find something to do, and then you're off for another three minutes to do something else. Add something in there for gods' sake.

Durability system is easy enough to nitpick about. Just give me a meter about how much durability I'm using.

Outside of repetitive shrine environments. the Divine Beasts are the only dungeons, and they're lacking. Shrines usually have good puzzles, but I think there were a tad too many Blessings shrines, and the combat trials got really repetitive. The Pillar/Magnesis Block/Cryonis is good to do maybe twice for varying difficulties, but after that it's just not worth it. Especially if you end up finding all the Major Battle shrines before the Minor Battle shrines (like I did like a doofus being too scared to fight guardians). I want actual envrionments with neat puzzles attached to it.

I would've loved more enemy types and variants. Actual Stalfos, Darknuts, Iron Knuckles, other types of minibosses that isn't the generic three plus Lynel, and probably more that I can't think about right now. The DLC Monk is legit the most fun I've had fighting an enemy since when I was ready to fight Lynels and Thunderblight Ganon. Speaking of the blights, they suck, except Thunderblight for being an actual challenge. Calamity Ganon himself was pretty dumb though, it went from a pretty decent fight to just being plain dumb. What's sad is that the game implies that that's the literal end for Ganon (until they run out of ideas and need him again) and BoTW is the end of all three timelines so far, and boy was that a terrible way to go out. Nintendo, recognize that I like Ganondorf, not just Ganon.

I'm totally down with this new formula of Zelda, I like the new spin they took on the series and the exploration. If they condense the map (which they probably will because of time restraints, Majora's Mask 2.0 I assume), I hope they will atleast shove a lot of content into the rough patches.

every one except skyward sword, but i know enough about it
I didn't mind the empty space, as I felt that every area was unique and well-crafted enough that exploration was fun and rewarding.

But yeah, durability sucks, hard. Sucks to the point that I haven't touched my latest BotW playthrough in weeks because I want to beat the Master Trials again before I do anything else, so I don't have to worry about durability as much anymore, but I'm at the end/hardest part of the trials so I'd need to have the time to really buckle down and tackle it. Though that's also because I'm a little nuts and get upset when I have any less than 1000 bullets for my guns in Fallout games, for example.

And enemy variety definitely sucks. With as rich as the Zelda series's enemy list is, the fact that it's just Bokoblins, Moblins, and Lizalfos most of the time gets old fast, and really doesn't take advantage of the game's variety of locales. You could have different enemy types for every region to make things interesting and varied, but instead it's just more of the same in each and every area, slightly tweaked.

The DLC Monk fight was the best boss fight in the game, and the other boss fights were pretty lame, I agree. Especially with how diverse and fun previous games' boss fights are. Same with the Divine Beasts replacing dungeons, as they all have the same aesthetic and objective, with just a tweaked gimmick. It all felt like a step backwards, as though it was done with the vague notion of what Zelda games used to be like, rather than evolving the formula in a meaningful way.

But if history proves right, the next game will be killer. The first Zelda was pretty rough in hindsight, but they perfected the formula in Link to the Past. In my opinion, OoT also set the formula for 3D Zelda, and Twilight Princess perfected it. So if BotW sets the new formula, and the next game perfects it... I can't imagine how incredible of an experience it would be.

I also never beat Skyward Sword, oddly enough. Though from what I've heard, I'm not missing much. But I do plan to get around to it in the near future.

Look at it this way.

For as stilted and awkward as that dialogue may be... it's better than classic Resident Evil dialogue.
Oh yeah, old RE was amateur hour. But at least it has the excuse of being a game from 1996, back when the standard for video game dialogue was pretty low, and almost no games attempted that level of voice acting.

This script is from a guy who's trying to do a workplace comedy, like The Office or Parks and Recreation. You know, some of the most popular and influential TV comedies of the generation. And all his characters are flat and unfunny, somehow. He didn't seem too enthusiastic about his script and seemed to acknowledge its issues, so it's not like he thought his work was great, but I don't know how you get inspired by comedy shows and somehow not write anything comedic.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

the voices in this game suck major ***
I will say I still like Chiplock as Revali and I think he’s the saving grace of that aspect.

As fun as it is to dump on Skyward Sword, the game had a fantastic soundtrack if nothing else, and the character interactions were great.
Eh, yeah it has its flaws but I think people give that game too much crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom