• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Oh **** I just noticed we passed page 300

I know this will be a page late but some of you I am on a roll with that tonight so

D

Deleted member

I can't help but wonder what the best way to get Atlus's attention would be in regards to upcoming games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So yes I have my reasons to be upset about Retro not making a new DKC game. There literally won’t be another studio that will make a new game, while there’s plenty of studios, and even Nintendo themselves who can handle Metroid.
1491186652916.png

Retro made the Prime games, so why should they be disallowed to make another?

If you're implying DKC is Retro's prime child, you couldn't be more wrong. It's more of a middle child.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Federation Force at least that’s the same exact genre as the rest of Metroid. You can’t compare them. And it’s not like Metroid didn’t have Hunters and Pinball as spin off games earlier. It was really only absent on N64, and on the Wii U but made big comeback regardless.

DKC didn’t have its big come back since Donkey Kong Country Returns! And before that, the only games that really addressed its lore and established franchise elements was DK King of Swing, Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast. These sort of games don’t even get released anymore because PAON is gone from Nintendo.

It just doesn’t make sense DKC is neglected so badly. Mario VS DK also has way more Mario elements in its gameplay, and up until its latest 3DS game it didn’t even have any DKC character outside of DK, who’s not even playable and acted way more out of character than Samus did in a couple of scenes in Other M. Also, Other M was great. And Samus Returns 3DS was still mostly a new game to many.

So yes I have my reasons to be upset about Retro not making a new DKC game. There literally won’t be another studio that will make a new game, while there’s plenty of studios, and even Nintendo themselves who can handle Metroid.
What the **** is the point you're trying to make? I only brought up FF because you brought it up, which means the DK spinoffs and subseries must count too. A co-operative multiplayer game when Metroid is almost exclusively about singleplayer isn't really the same. My point is that you're acting like DKC is all that matters and when you ACTUALLY LOOK at what else was released that you're coming across as whiney because your favourite isn't getting the attention you think it should. Besides, one could easily argue DKC is a spinoff as the most well-known incarnation of Donkey Kong is the arcade game

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
View attachment 188899

Retro made the Prime games, so why should they be disallowed to make another?

If you're implying DKC is Retro's prime child, you couldn't be more wrong. It's more of a middle child.
I'm coming in late on this argument so I'm not picking a side, but the amount of people still at Retro who had anything at all to do with the Prime trilogy is next to zero. It's just a name at this point.

So in that regard, looking at it as a team of people and not just a brand name, DKC is actually kinda their prime child as of now. That said, most studios enjoy working on something brand new versus creating more of the same. I imagine no one at Retro is complaining right now.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The head of Gameinformer said that Retro was chosen because they pitched a demo that Nintendo liked. So I take it MP4 is something they wanted to do.
i mean can they complain? wouldnt that put their job at risk
They can go complain on Glassdoor.

D

Deleted member

staindgrey staindgrey How would you feel about a survival horror game set in a medieval setting? Picture Zelda's puzzle solving with Resident Evil and Dead Space's horror. Oh, and magic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What the **** is the point you're trying to make? I only brought up FF because you brought it up, which means the DK spinoffs and subseries must count too. A co-operative multiplayer game when Metroid is almost exclusively about singleplayer isn't really the same. My point is that you're acting like DKC is all that matters and when you ACTUALLY LOOK at what else was released that you're coming across as whiney because your favourite isn't getting the attention you think it should. Besides, one could easily argue DKC is a spinoff as the most well-known incarnation of Donkey Kong is the arcade game
Most well known ? Then why has Donkey Kong ALWAYS been represented as DKC Donkey Kong in Smash?

Whatever point you tried to made failed with that. I can’t take you serious about this anymore. A Metroid spin off shouldn’t count because it’s a multiplayer, but Mario VS Donkey Kong TOTALLY COUNTS of course even if DK isn’t even playable, there’s no DKC elements, and DK is the antagonist.

Tropical Freeze sold too much for DKC to be neglected like this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
thats why they rereleased it

its been two years chief, calm your buns

also:

The head of Gameinformer said that Retro was chosen because they pitched a demo that Nintendo liked. So I take it MP4 is something they wanted to do.
don't act like retro was forced by gunpoint to do it either

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
thats why they rereleased it

its been two years chief, calm your buns

also:

don't act like retro was forced by gunpoint to do it either
I can’t blame Retro. I never did.

I blame Nintendo for this. As they refuse to handle DKC properly.

NineS

Smash Lord
The neglect Olympics
Arguing about which franchise has had the biggest hiatus.
Oh, is that all?
I mean, if you're talking about which franchise has been neglected more...
i gotchu.png

cough, cough.

yeah jokes aside mother/earthbound is probably dead as a franchise to nintendo, but that's old news at this point.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whose excited for Piranha Plant in February?
Not me because that's what literally everyone will be playing online for like a week.

Oh, is that all?
View attachment 188900
cough, cough.

yeah jokes aside mother/earthbound is probably dead as a franchise to nintendo, but that's old news at this point.
Dead?

IT'S FINISHED. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE MORE GAMES

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Not me because that's what literally everyone will be playing online for like a week.

Dead?

IT'S FINISHED. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE MORE GAMES
i was honestly referring more to a mother 3 in U.S. kind of thing

but if you want a "living" franchise, there's kid icarus. that hiatus from myths and monsters to uprising is insane.
to be honest though, who was that big a fan of those two original games for that long?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh, is that all?
View attachment 188900
cough, cough.
Well the franchise is done. Not like they actually plan on doing anything with it except maybe (probably not) giving an official localization.

Man, I'm just waiting on SMTV, first time in 16 years since an SMT game's been on a home console.
Also Raidou 3 made by Platinum, but thaaaaat's never happening.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Most well known ? Then why has Donkey Kong ALWAYS been represented as DKC Donkey Kong in Smash?

Whatever point you tried to made failed with that. I can’t take you serious about this anymore. A Metroid spin off shouldn’t count because it’s a multiplayer, but Mario VS Donkey Kong TOTALLY COUNTS of course even if DK isn’t even playable, there’s no DKC elements, and DK is the antagonist.

Geez, mate. I don't dislike DKC, but if you ask me whether I prefer Metroid dead in the water or DKC to be dead in the water I prefer DKC to take a back seat while Metroid shines.

DKC has a lot of overlap with other Nintendo series, Nintendo isn't in dire needs of more platformers right now. Metroid Prime, however, is one of Nintendo more unique games and not a lot of games are like it.

Donkey Kong series is sort of it a weird position of being pretty good sales wise but not crazy great like Mario or Pokemon to justify making a spin off based off of DK instead of just making another Mario kart. But it isn't like Donkey Kong is dead in the water, it has good sales so it will get another game sooner or later.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Federation Force at least that’s the same exact genre as the rest of Metroid. You can’t compare them. And it’s not like Metroid didn’t have Hunters and Pinball as spin off games earlier. It was really only absent on N64, and on the Wii U but made big comeback regardless.

DKC didn’t have its big come back since Donkey Kong Country Returns! And before that, the only games that really addressed its lore and established franchise elements was DK King of Swing, Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast. These sort of games don’t even get released anymore because PAON is gone from Nintendo.

It just doesn’t make sense DKC is neglected so badly. Mario VS DK also has way more Mario elements in its gameplay, and up until its latest 3DS game it didn’t even have any DKC character outside of DK, who’s not even playable and acted way more out of character than Samus did in a couple of scenes in Other M. Also, Other M was great. And Samus Returns 3DS was still mostly a new game to many.

I'm sorry, even if I like Donkey Kong Country more the Metroid, I have to fault you here.

You say that plenty of studios and Nintendo themselves could handle Metroid, that also holds true for Donkey Kong. There is no reason that Nintendo couldn't have another company or themselves make a platformer (especially when Nintendo knows well how to make platformers) the same holds true for Metroid (though, to be honest, Western companies like Retro are probably better choices then Japanese ones for Metroid Prime since Shooters aren't as popular in the East as in the West).

There's also franchise fatigue you have to worry about. If Retro was stuck only making Donkey Kong titles, they would inevitably get franchise fatigue and their games would suffer for it, taking a break is good for a company and its series. Its likely Retro themselves wanted to move onto something other then Donkey Kong for a moment themselves (rumor had it that they were developing Star Fox Grand Prix for example).

Retro never even said they were making a Donkey Kong game, so whatever they would have been making instead of Metroid Prime 4 might not have even been Donkey Kong related so you literally have no reason to be mad that they are developing Metroid Prime 4 instead.

Mostly because that was the design of Donkey Kong at the time and has been DK's default design since DKC, even appearing in Mario spin-offs such as Mario Kart & Mario Party.

DKC isn't being 'neglected', it had a game released in the past 5 years, its FINE, it doesn't need a release every year or every two years, its not dead, its not hibernating, its perfectly fine and will get a new game when its time for one. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets another new game before the end of the Switch's lifespan. I mean, the gap between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze was 4 years and I know its been 5 years since its release, but it also had its upgraded port to tide over DK fans and keep the series relevant.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Jesus you aren't even listening. Look at every time Donkey Kong has gotten referenced in movies and TV shows. I think you'll find there are significantly more references to the arcade than DKC

My point is that you were counting spinoffs for Metroid so it's only fair to count spinoffs for DK too, and by doing that, Donkey Kong is significantly larger with more frequent releases than you're letting on, meaning you're being dishonest as ****. Especially with this. Mario VS DK doesn't count because you don't play as DK and he's the antagonist? Despite DK being an antagonist in the arcade game? And the fact that Samus is the final boss and not playable at all in FF? Do you even know what you're talking about?

I think a port to a significantly more successful system to the point the game actually sold very well isn't being neglected. You DO know game development literally takes years right?
The neglect Olympics
Arguing about which franchise has had the biggest hiatus.
Not even, I'm arguing that Donkey Kong isn't oppressed

D

Deleted member

so why are we fighting about who's neglected more again?
what ended up starting this?
Diddy Kong's mad because Retro's working on Prime 4 instead of Donkey Country 3. Which is his loss, to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
me when nintendo works on any game that isnt another f-zero when they totally couldve made those developers make another f-zero and they totally all 100% wanted to and planned on doing so, just believe me

apu.jpg

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Am I the only one finding this funny since I recall seeing Metroid fans similarly upset that Retro was working on the two Donkey Kong Country games instead of Metroid Prime 4 and now that they are working on Metroid Prime 4, a Donkey Kong fan is upset that they aren't working on Donkey Kong?

I wonder if Rare would have had to put up with this if the internet was this prevalent in the 90s when they announced Banjo-Kazooie rather then Donkey Kong 64?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom