• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

After having an in-depth debate about it with a friend, I feel like the only way I'd buy the rumored Switch Pro would be if it had these features:

- Smooth performance for all games that previously struggled on the system.
- Double the current battery life.
- Larger screen by decreasing or outright removing the bezel the current model has so the current portable-friendly size of the Switch we have now stays and we can still use the Joycons we have now.

Other than that, I honestly don't see myself upgrading when the Switch I have now is working perfectly for what I want it for.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Quick question: did you start with Birthright?

Reason I ask is I started with Conquest and had the totally opposite experience. I enjoyed Conquest for the most part, found the difficulty to be about where I expected (minus a couple maps), found the cast to be mostly enjoyable and had like a 7/10 time with it. Then I went into Birthright immediately afterward and felt like it was such a slog that I never finished it. I waited two years then finally played Revelation just to justify the purchase.

I wonder if our experiences were swayed due to the order we played them in, coupled with the fact that the game was needlessly split up into multiple versions. The games in all weren't as high quality as the games before them, so having to play through it *again* probably made the second run feel worse by default.
Yeah. I went Birthright > Conquest > Revelation. I'd still say that's the best order to go through them in, but it's an interesting idea to consider that starting with Conquest might result in a different experience of the games. Not that either of them ended up being particularly great in the overall context of the series, but still.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
imagine having three years to work with next-gen hardware then coming out with maps that look like this

what ****ing part of the continent is this

are we sure this isnt angel island and that this isnt secretly a sonic crossover

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Someone is saying that banjo is deconfirmed for smash because playtonic tweeted this
Dose anyone even believe this?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ROUNDING DEEP
IN MY SEA OF LOATHING
Have you ever seen them live?

I ask because I've seen them twice and there are two things to note that I assume apply to every Disturbed concert ever:
  1. Draiman's voice is really ****ing good
  2. They are absolutely boring to watch
The guitarist and bassist don't move from their spots on either end of the stage, barely move, and Draiman just walks back and forth to either end of the stage with no energy raising his fist in the air. Like, they sound remarkably close to their recorded sound-- which is sadly rare in 2000s rock groups-- but I swear they're one of the most boring headliners to watch perform.

Say what you will about Slipknot's music, watching them perform live is like a sadistic circus performance.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I feel odd every time I have to explain to people that what I'm talking about is a meme because like, everything in the 21st century is a meme.
Down With The Sickness, if you really want to know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

List of characters I liked from Birthright:
  • Oboro
  • Azama
  • Hinoka I guess
The characters themselves feel horrible. I don't think they go through any sort of trial throughout the story that make them really feel like they're fighting for something. Like in FE 8, you got characters who lost brothers, lost mothers, saw the deterioration of their own civilization, hardened mercenaries, or characters with dreams, and then supports would flesh these out more to make them actually feel real. Same with FE 9 but waaaaaay better, too. I never once felt bad for a character in FE Fates because their supports felt disconnected from the narrative.

Oh look how cute Severa and Keaton are, competing and embarassing each other. Hans slaughters and entire village by order of the deranged king.

This is why I liked Mozu because she feels like the only character who was actually affected by this war, and we see it as soon as she's introduced. So I feel for her in her support conversations when I use that as reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
what ****ing part of the continent is this

are we sure this isnt angel island and that this isnt secretly a sonic crossover
Fates had like four separate "floating islands" maps.

And they were just as nonsensical then as they are now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fates had like four separate "floating islands" maps.

And they were just as nonsensical then as they are now.
dont remind me

IS needs to focus on its map consistency rather than its waifu consistency smh

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
When I was a kid I asked my mom to get me the newest Linkin Park album of that time (Meteora)
For some random reason she bought me Down With The Sickness on a CD-R

Im actually glad she gave me that disc instead.

Have you ever seen them live?

I ask because I've seen them twice and there are two things to note that I assume apply to every Disturbed concert ever:
  1. Draiman's voice is really ****ing good
  2. They are absolutely boring to watch
The guitarist and bassist don't move from their spots on either end of the stage, barely move, and Draiman just walks back and forth to either end of the stage with no energy raising his fist in the air. Like, they sound remarkably close to their recorded sound-- which is sadly rare in 2000s rock groups-- but I swear they're one of the most boring headliners to watch perform.

Say what you will about Slipknot's music, watching them perform live is like a sadistic circus performance.

This sounds like the exact opposite of an Iron Maiden concert lol
Except by the fact Bruce's voice is still great.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Guys... I just got match w/ a K. Rool in Quickplay and the song was Gangplank Galleon... on 75m Battlefield form (why that stage of all the DK stages?)

Ya know, Quickplay is **** sometimes, but very rarely, it gets something right.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
FE Fate's pair up system was also really underrated. I think it's because of the stigma still attached to it from how broken it was in Awakening and because it's associated with the support system. It made tactical positioning much more interesting then in previous games, and it made you make the decision of if you want to pair two units up for extra stats or keep them as separate for better offense through pair up attack. Pair UP attacks especially helped make player phase feel impact and interesting and helped add some much-need viability to bows wielders.

This is a controversial one but I also liked the lack of weapon durability. In most FE games I feel encouraged just to use the cheapest weapons possible whenever I could get away with it, which dragged battles out more and gave a lot of weapons that "too good to use" effect. Having to constantly replace everyone's weapons also felt more like busy work then actually important tactical decisions. Meanwhile Fates simply had different drawbacks to using good weapons.

D

Deleted member

Guys... I just got match w/ a K. Rool in Quickplay and the song was Gangplank Galleon... on 25m Battlefield form (why that stage of all the DK stages?)

Ya know, Quickplay is **** sometimes, but very rarely, it gets something right.
They counted 75m as a DK stage for some reason, so DKC music can go onto it. The inverse is true for DKC stages too.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Someone is saying that banjo is deconfirmed for smash because playtonic tweeted this
Playtonic may be made up of former Rare employees, but to my knowledge, they have no current relation to Rare. They don't know about anything going on with Banjo because it's out of their jurisdiction.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
that would be like back in june 2018 that :ultsimon: is deconfirmed because the bloodstained developers arent making a castlevania game

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Does anyone even believe this?
>NDA is a thing, but let's pretend it's not
In all seriousness though, every developer that shot down characters have been 100% sincere, NDA or not. I'm inclined to believe that any moment you hear a developer deny Smash info, it's because there is no Smash info. I'd love to be wrong as it concerns Dante as well, but it's highly unlikely.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The characters themselves feel horrible. I don't think they go through any sort of trial throughout the story that make them really feel like they're fighting for something. Like in FE 8, you got characters who lost brothers, saw the deteriorations of their own civilization, hardened mercenaries, or characters with deams, and then supports would flesh these out more to make them actually feel real. Same with FE 9 but waaaaaay better, too. I never once felt bad for a character in FE Fates because their supports felt disconnected from the narrative.

Oh look how cute Severa and Keaton are, competing and embarassing each other. Hans slaughters and entire village by order of the deranged king.

This is why I liked Mozu because she feels like the only character who was actually affected by this war, and we see it as soon as she's introduced. So I feel for her in her support conversations when I use that as reference.
The key problem with Fates's supports is that they're spread far too thin by having too many characters spread across two/three games. Many of the characters have deeper sides in supports that flesh them out-- but finding those supports is a total and utter crapshoot. All characterization for any non-royal character is confined entirely to their supports, and depending on what support you choose to try and develop, your impression of the character as "bland" or "interesting" comes down to luck of the draw.

Plus it's just not a good setup to have literally your whole cast be either A) a royal or B) a royal's retainer. Who doesn't fit into either of those categories? Mozu? Hayato? Uhhhh. The... flame tribe... girl? The one with the abs.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
They counted 75m as a DK stage for some reason, so DKC music can go onto it. The inverse is true for DKC stages too.
I mean, it is a DK stage, and if it were to be classified as a Mario stage, then no DK music.

You don't want a SMW Yoshi's Island stage situation where you can't play the SMW music on it despite it being straight out of SMW.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Suspicious...
This looks like someone trying to fake something.

D

Deleted member

FE Fate's pair up system was also really underrated. I think it's because of the stigma still attached to it from how broken it was in Awakening and because it's associated with the support system. It made tactical positioning much more interesting then in previous games, and it made you make the decision of if you want to pair two units up for extra stats or keep them as separate for better offense through pair up attack. Pair UP attacks especially helped make player phase feel impact and interesting and helped add some much-need viability to bows wielders.

This is a controversial one but I also liked the lack of weapon durability. In most FE games I feel encouraged just to use the cheapest weapons possible whenever I could get away with it, which dragged battles out more and gave a lot of weapons that "too good to use" effect. Having to constantly replace everyone's weapons also felt more like busy work then actually important tactical decisions. Meanwhile Fates simply had different drawbacks to using good weapons.
The one thing I hate about the pair-up system is how vitally tied they are to stats and support bonuses. You practically end up gluing to units together for the rest of the game because of the sick S-rank support bonuses you can get from that, so it limits the actual support system and the combinations for your pair-up strategies. I actually once tried doing Fire Emblem Awakening's normal mode without supports, and it was the most fun I've ever had with that game. If they iron that out, I feel the pair-up system will have finally won me over.

Weapon durability in Fates took away some of the fun of resource managing. There's a lot of strategy and thought put into what weapons you want to use or buy, so I appreciate having it more than not having it. My A-rank spear should be godly because I've saved it for this moment. Not nerf my stats when I use it once. As a result, it also made treasure chests more valuable. It had potential, but I think it could have been ironed out more or just not have been there period.

D

Deleted member

No because while Playtonic is made up of former Rare Employees they aren't in control of anything related to Banjo, that's Microsoft. Playtonic wouldn't even be contacted if Banjo were to get into Smash.

So no, this has no bearing on if he's in Smash or not.

D

Deleted member

I doubt Playtonic has anything to do with Banjo, and if the developers are themselves saying they are not working on Banjo it's likely to prevent future disappointments when nothing happens with the franchise from their side. Edit: Dunno what this tweet has to do with Smash at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
>NDA is a thing, but let's pretend it's not
In all seriousness though, every developer that shot down characters have been 100% sincere, NDA or not. I'm inclined to believe that any moment you hear a developer deny Smash info, it's because there is no Smash info. I'd love to be wrong as it concerns Dante as well, but it's highly unlikely.
Except PlayTonic doesn’t own Banjo or even work on the series.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That's not really convincing evidence, considering that Playtonic has almost nothing to do with Rare nowadays. This is like saying that Mega Man is deconfirmed for Ult because Comcept (the team behing Mighty No. 9) doesn't know if Mega Man 11 exists, nor are they making it.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
The key problem with Fates's supports is that they're spread far too thin by having too many characters spread across two/three games. Many of the characters have deeper sides in supports that flesh them out-- but finding those supports is a total and utter crapshoot. All characterization for any non-royal character is confined entirely to their supports, and depending on what support you choose to try and develop, your impression of the character as "bland" or "interesting" comes down to luck of the draw.

Plus it's just not a good setup to have literally your whole cast be either A) a royal or B) a royal's retainer. Who doesn't fit into either of those categories? Mozu? Hayato? Uhhhh. The... flame tribe... girl? The one with the abs.
Charlotte and Benny weren't retainers.

Neither was... that one guy... uh... the one you can kill for a pair of boots (I actually chose to pick him up, I just can't remember his name).

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The thing that annoys me so much about Fates is how lifeless a good chunk of the cast feels. Almost everyone is tied around one central anime gimmick that makes up 75%-90% of all their dialogue. Awakening also had a problem with leaning hard on tropes, but at least they had some hidden depth in almost all their supports. With Fates, it’s a total coin flip; one support may include some interesting lines that flesh out a character and make them more likable, but for every one of those there’s like 6 that consist entirely of dumb gag lines.

Also Corrin is the worst protagonist in series history and makes it hard to take any of the story seriously because every other character is busy licking their feet.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Charlotte and Benny weren't retainers.

Neither was... that one guy... uh... the one you can kill for a pair of boots (I actually chose to pick him up, I just can't remember his name).
Shura? His only support was with Corrin and no one else. I hate those kinds of characters. They feel like a waste putting on your team. Same for uh... The older woman with an X-scar on her face. She was basically Scarlet but a different character model.

D

Deleted member

Shura is the best Gen 1 character in Fates and he also has a sick ass boss convo with Kotaro. You guys are just mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom