• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Finished my pilot script last night. 83 pages. Not the longest we've had in the class, so I'm not too self-conscious about the length, but I think mine's better constructed than most of the scripts we've had, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's a first draft, so it's not perfect, but I spend so much time pre-writing my work in my head that my first drafts are more complete and polished than most people's. I'll make a couple adjustments and run it by my friend before I plan to submit it on Thursday.

...oh, we're posting cursed things. Got it.

D

Deleted member

Conquest for me has overall the less interesting cast (I enjoyed Birthright's cast more simply because after Awakening I was tired of anime trope types who ram their single defining trait down your throat every time they appear, even if Conquest gave us Forrest), its difficulty curve is a complete mess (being the more difficult of the two doesn't excuse this), and towards the end I was just exhausted of the game and was basically phoning it in because I wanted it to end, where I didn't have that experience with Birthright. It's also not free of dumb gimmicks like the Kitsune map, and the "varied map objectives" and stuff they tried to sell in pre-release didn't amount to anything either.

Birthright was pretty eh too, but at least it felt somewhat cohesive and like it had actual effort put into it. It feels like in terms of time and effort on the part of the developers, Birthright got the most attention, followed by Conquest, while Revelation was sort of slapped together in overtime.
Conquest actually had intelligent map design put into it instead of just dumping a bunch of enemies that I had to kill. I can't just send Ryoma into half of the map and expect him to come out alright in Conquest, and that's because of the gimmick's that don't slow down the experience like in Revelations. The gimmicks instead are meant to challenge us and keep us on our toes. Only time I didn't like them were when they were RNG like with the wind chapter. It's less consistent of a structure, but that's GBA and Tellius structure, so I'm used to it. In fact, I think it's the go-to structure for Fire Emblem. Even if it's at the cost of a difficulty curve, it keeps the game from just being me having to just route the enemy again for the 500th time.

The story just sucks no matter what, so I don't really use that to judge either side.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still think people who say "Conquest maps are more varied like past FE games" are either underrating Conquest or really overestimating previous titles.

Conquest has more varied map designs then most FE games, even if it's not always the objective that makes it difference. Unlike Revelations, most of its levels are also surprisingly well designed and polished to, with only a handful of outliers.

Honestly it set a standard for FE gameplay for me that I'm not even sure if Three Houses will live up to.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
when you see people on persona subreddits dismissing royal-chan being in smash because the datamine "is fake like that grinch thing"

1553633609178.png

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nope, the only reason Conquest isn't my least favourite of the three is because Revelation is just such a rushed and unpolished mess. If they put literally any more time into making Revelation's gimmicks actually work, it'd probably be my favourite of the three.

Conquest for me has overall the less interesting cast (I enjoyed Birthright's cast more simply because after Awakening I was tired of anime trope types who ram their single defining trait down your throat every time they appear, even if Conquest gave us Forrest), its difficulty curve is a complete mess (being the more difficult of the two doesn't excuse this), and towards the end I was just exhausted of the game and was basically phoning it in because I wanted it to end, where I didn't have that experience with Birthright. It's also not free of dumb gimmicks like the Kitsune map, and the "varied map objectives" and stuff they tried to sell in pre-release didn't amount to anything either.

Birthright was pretty eh too, but at least it felt somewhat cohesive and like it had actual effort put into it. It feels like in terms of time and effort on the part of the developers, Birthright got the most attention, followed by Conquest, while Revelation was sort of slapped together in overtime.
Quick question: did you start with Birthright?

Reason I ask is I started with Conquest and had the totally opposite experience. I enjoyed Conquest for the most part, found the difficulty to be about where I expected (minus a couple maps), found the cast to be mostly enjoyable and had like a 7/10 time with it. Then I went into Birthright immediately afterward and felt like it was such a slog that I never finished it. I waited two years then finally played Revelation just to justify the purchase.

I wonder if our experiences were swayed due to the order we played them in, coupled with the fact that the game was needlessly split up into multiple versions. The games in all weren't as high quality as the games before them, so having to play through it *again* probably made the second run feel worse by default.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Only time I didn't like them were when they were RNG like with the wind chapter.
I'm pretty sure that one is actually on a set pattern.

Anyway I had some fun with it once I figured out how to play around the wind. Generally you want to try to be in the stream of wind that moves you southwards rather then north, as the latter is more likely to move your characters towards danger.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Yo, are we posting Disturbing stuff?

images (56).jpeg
OH WA-A-A-A-A

osby

Smash Obsessed
when you see people on persona subreddits dismissing royal-chan being in smash because the datamine "is fake like that grinch thing"
*pretends to be shocked* It's Persona subreddits.

Also, I decided to have realistic expectations about Joker's music in Smash, so I'm adding movies' OST to my list, too.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
*pretends to be shocked* It's Persona subreddits.

Also, I decided to have realistic expectations about Joker's music in Smash, so I'm adding movies' OST to my list, too.

70% futaba art, 30% misunderstanding smash

anyway i can't wait to kick jigglypuff's ass to one determination

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure that one is actually on a set pattern.

Anyway I had some fun with it once I figured out how to play around the wind. Generally you want to try to be in the stream of wind that moves you southwards rather then north, as the latter is more likely to move your characters towards danger.
Man my experience with that map was miserable. I don't remember much about it, but I felt there were way too many times in which an enemy, especially a flier, could sneak around and dog pile one of my weaker units. If there was a set pattern, I couldn't see it. Might be a better experience if (or when, depending on if I lose my bet,) I play Fates again.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I still think people who say "Conquest maps are more varied like past FE games" are either underrating Conquest or really overestimating previous titles.

Conquest has more varied map designs then most FE games, even if it's not always the objective that makes it difference. Unlike Revelations, most of its levels are also surprisingly well designed and polished to, with only a handful of outliers.

Honestly it set a standard for FE gameplay for me that I'm not even sure if Three Houses will live up to.
I think I'm going to play Conquest again before Three Houses comes out to figure out where I stand on this.

I remember liking the map design and feeling like the challenge on normal was at an almost perfect level; what I hated was the forced-in children, most of the supports, Corrin's character in general and feeling like I was playing half a game. But I don't remember the gameplay itself ever being the part I complained about. Then I tried to play Birthright, got bored, and considered "Fates" as a whole to be a major letdown.

But when someone in the old thread asked for specifics on why Conquest was considered to have such great map design, I couldn't remember specific examples. So I feel like rather than finishing Birthright like I'd planned on doing before Three Houses releases, I'm gonna go back and play Conquest on Hard and really try to note what about its design I liked. As a sort of swan song to Fates.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
imagine having three years to work with next-gen hardware then coming out with maps that look like this

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Man my experience with that map was miserable. I don't remember much about it, but I felt there were way too many times in which an enemy, especially a flier, could sneak around and dog pile one of my weaker units. If there was a set pattern, I couldn't see it. Might be a better experience if (or when, depending on if I lose my bet,) I play Fates again.
It was in a set pattern but it was no less annoying.

Even if you plan for it, the exact structure of your units would be changed from a formation to a clump, as would theirs. And it made traveling a ***** because even when you play it safe and let the wind blow you south, you now have to select each and every one of your characters and move them west/east and north again to get back into position. Multiple times.

Quite possibly the worst map ever made in a FE game. I know I'll be challenged on that statement but it's definitely top five worst, no contest.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I guess I'm also biased towards that Conquest Wind Tribe map because I tend to have flier-heavy teams. I mean even then the Kinshi Knights on that map are a pain but aside from that flying units are broken on that stage. There's not a single wall to get in their way.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
imagine having three years to work with next-gen hardware then coming out with maps that look like this

Its looks bad but realize Intys had no experience with HD development on that scale

in fact i recall that in the color splash pre-release cycle Intys mentioned because they had no idea of how to do it ALOT of the cgi models and textures in that game were outsourced to 2 japanese 3d companies they hired

D

Deleted member

I think I'm going to play Conquest again before Three Houses comes out to figure out where I stand on this.

I remember liking the map design and feeling like the challenge on normal was at an almost perfect level; what I hated was the forced-in children, most of the supports, Corrin's character in general and feeling like I was playing half a game. But I don't remember the gameplay itself ever being the part I complained about. Then I tried to play Birthright, got bored, and considered "Fates" as a whole to be a major letdown.
I didn't think too hard about the stories on my first time and just saw Corrin as a bland avatar that I could insert myself into (and insert into others heh heh), so I didn't think much when reading the story. Worse part about the stories themselves were when Birthright and Revelations actually killed off your characters in cutscenes. If you were unfortunate enough to not A rank Kaze, he would die after Chapter 15, and that's bull****. Same with Scarlet in Revelations, except she just dies no matter what. That is so unintuitive to the spirit of Fire Emblem, and it made me think Fates really was shoddily put together.

It was in a set pattern but it was no less annoying.

Even if you plan for it, the exact structure of your units would be changed from a formation to a clump, as would theirs. And it made traveling a ***** because even when you play it safe and let the wind blow you south, you now have to select each and every one of your characters and move them west/east and north again to get back into position. Multiple times.

Quite possibly the worst map ever made in a FE game. I know I'll be challenged on that statement but it's definitely top five worst, no contest.
Alright. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. The terrain was too thin for what we were having to do on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom