• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then why are you trying to argue that they're objectively bad if you're unwilling to play them and give them a chance?
Here's a word of advice

Don't judge a book by it's cover, until you've read the book
Are you telling me you have developed a myriad of strong opinions on well-beloved franchises without even playing them? Are you serious?

I don't like Assassin's Creed, but at least I play the ****ing game before giving an opinion on it
Because if I play them that means I have bought them. Meaning Nintendo has my money. That’s all they want. They don’t care if I like them or not once I buy them.

D

Deleted member

Bottom-line, like things you like, dislike things you dislike, just don’t be a **** about it. Not exactly a difficult concept.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You really like me that much, huh?
Gotta get good so our dittos will only make you better. ;)

No but really at some point I decided Zelda wasn't going to cut it as a main and I wasn't good enough to use Lucina considering everyone knows how to play against Lucina, so I picked Corrin. Sticking specifically to her, I think, has helped me isolate some of my major problems and work on them without mixing in new movesets and matchups to mask the issues. Her being a hard character to get kills with has really helped me focus on getting those kills.

D

Deleted member

Because if I play them that means I have bought them. Meaning Nintendo has my money. That’s all they want. They don’t care if I like them or not once I buy them.
hey if you wanna bash nintendo I suggest you find a forum site that isn't about a Nintendo game

D

Deleted member

but how are you supposed to know if you like it or not until you buy them
"people keep saying that apples are healthy but if i eat them it means that farmers have my money"
learn the concept of giving things a try

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It’s fine if you don’t want to buy a Nintendo game if it doesn’t look interesting to you.

But if you’re trying to make a comparison between 2 games and their quality, you should at least have played both games.

Otherwise your argument will just be heavily biased and unreliable.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
How'd you get around to enjoying games you like in the first place?

I'd assume you bought 'em, right?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
"people keep saying that apples are healthy but if i eat them it means that farmers have my money"
I mean, you can dislike a game without playing it. I don't need to play a Star Fox game to know its genre is not for me. But I'm not going around saying how bad they are because I never played one.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know, there's a whole industry of used games wherein only the company selling the game used gets your money, and Nintendo doesn't get any.

And if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund, usually within 7 days depending on the store.

I'm just saying.

D

Deleted member

Gotta get good so our dittos will only make you better. ;)

No but really at some point I decided Zelda wasn't going to cut it as a main and I wasn't good enough to use Lucina considering everyone knows how to play against Lucina, so I picked Corrin. Sticking specifically to her, I think, has helped me isolate some of my major problems and work on them without mixing in new movesets and matchups to mask the issues. Her being a hard character to get kills with has really helped me focus on getting those kills.
Speaking of Lucina, I'm torn between picking up Peach or Lucina as a fun side character to play alongside Inkling. I like both of them a lot, but I feel I might be leaning towards Peach because I like the turnip shenanigans and switching from Inkling to Peach actually feels really natural for some reason. I feel like some of the same strategies I use with Inkling also work with Peach. It's weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Nintendo wants you to like their games.
If you don't like a Nintendo game you bought, you wouldn't want to buy another Nintendo game.
If you liked a Nintendo game you bought, you would want to buy another Nintendo game.
Simple

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Speaking of Lucina, I'm torn between picking up Peach or Lucina as a fun side character to play alongside Inkling. I like both of them a lot, but I feel I might be leaning towards Peach because I like the turnip shenanigans and switching from Inkling to Peach actually feels really natural for some reason. I feel like some of the same strategies I use with Inkling also work with Peach. It's weird.
Well all three of your picks are top tier, so good work regardless.

Also, pick Daisy. She's better.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It is funny, I've been trying stubbornly hard to main Corrin and if they announce Jill I will drop Corrin like a steaming sack of ****.
It’s basically the same thing with me for Jr. in Smash 4 and Ridley in Ultimate.

Hence why I am actually good w/ Jr in this game and can actually win matches w/ him.

But it ain’t Smash 4 now, so there’s no ****ing way I’m maining him b/c he’s not good.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Everyone always gushes over how alone and isolated and weak the Metroid games make you feel. Makes it sound like it’s trying to be a horror game.
Well, Metroid can be creepy at times...
There are a couple of moments where it can be creeepy to some people, and Metroid Prime 2 has a pretty dark atmosphere...
Though I like it for that too.

Anyway, I used to like everything of Nintendo, but at a certain point my interest in it decreased... especially during the casual era of the Wii.
Though, there are still some cool games that I like... for example the Rhythm Heaven series; and I still like Smash even though the direction it went from Brawl onward is not exactly my ideal one.
I like Kirby, but I wish they moved to a new formula because the actual one started to get a bit stale (but I apreciated the effort in bringing back all the old characters and in trying to unify the lore of all the games).

As for Mario, I lost interest in Mario after Sunshine (I liked Sunshine and it's one of my favorites)... I played Galaxy1/2 and 3D World but I didn't like them, I quite liked 3D Land because the level design was more compact and focused on single player, but it still felt slow, with a lot of waiting times and slow transitions between a gameplay session and another (there was too little freedom too, but I like the A to B levels).
I Loved everything of Cpt Toad Treasure Tracker.
I like 2D Mario (mostly the old games) and I had fun with Mario Maker too, but the New Super Mario Bros Wii is the only game in the "New" subseries that I enjoyed a bit, the other ones IMO are bland and I even skipped the U one (I got the chance to play the Luigi version though so I still kinda played it).

Zelda is a hit or miss for me... I like some of the games, I dislike some others. I disliked Breath of the Wild and I don't like open world games in general because I think they are too empty and you lose too much time doing nothing; On the other hand, I'm hyped for Link's Awakening despite I have already played the original (because it's my second favorite Zelda game after Majora's Mask). I like all of the old Zelda games up to, uhm... Windwaker maybe? Minish Cap on handheld. Maybe the only exceptions are the Oracles, that for some reason I found too much repetitive and bored me a bit.

I like the concept of Splatoon, but for some reason I can't really get into it... I tried but it's not my cup of tea. Mario Kart, with the Wii game, went from one of my favorite series to my most hated Nintendo series, and I think I'll stay away from it until they decide to change the formula once again. Mario Kart Super Circuit is the one I had the most fun with, while Mario Kart 64 for the multiplayer battle mode.

F Zero is one of my favorite Nintendo series, but it's dead. I'm not much into Star Fox but I liked Assault on Gamecube.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So every company ever?
Ok, then why did Kirby Star Allies and Mario Odyssey get free expansions?
Acute observation.

So, like literally every game company ever?
learn the concept of giving things a try
It’s fine if you don’t want to buy a Nintendo game if it doesn’t look interesting to you.

But if you’re trying to make a comparison between 2 games and their quality, you should at least have played both games.

Otherwise your argument will just be heavily biased and unreliable.
How'd you get around to enjoying games you like in the first place?

I'd assume you bought 'em, right?
You know, there's a whole industry of used games wherein only the company selling the game used gets your money, and Nintendo doesn't get any.

And if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund, usually within 7 days depending on the store.

I'm just saying.
Nintendo wants you to like their games.
If you don't like a Nintendo game you bought, you wouldn't want to buy another Nintendo game.
If you liked a Nintendo game you bought, you would want to buy another Nintendo game.
Simple
Money is tight. I don’t buy a game unless I know I’m gonna like it. That’s what trailers and lets plays and reviews are for. And your right. That’s how every game company works. You don’t support a game or company you’re not gonna like.

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
It’s basically the same thing with me for Jr. in Smash and Ridley in Ultimate.

Hence why I am actually good w/ Jr in this game and can actually win matches w/ him.

But it ain’t Smash 4 now, so there’s no ****ing way I’m maining him b/c he’s not good.
Hey, I'm maining him. The point of the game is to have fun, and you can always get better as a player. Also, Cannonball is a good move now, jab connects, forward smash is fast and powerful, and you can jump out of side-b.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Money is tight. I don’t buy a game unless I know I’m gonna like it. That’s what trailers and lets plays and reviews are for.
They are. And you're a smart consumer.

It's the "I'm gonna make very acutely negative statements about games I've never played as if I've played them" part that's earning you all this backlash.

I haven't played a MGS game because it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I don't come in here and tell Snake fans their games suck.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
me: i could only main a character if i know they'll click with me, it's not worth it trying to main someone through sheer stubbornness
also me, having not seen a second of gameplay: joker main btw

MainJPW

M.T.A
Hahaha, I thought you might know who it is (I didn't know Ebony appeared in the Webcomic).
Yeah, here she is:

She’s far more stunning here than in the published comic.

The idea I had for the game is a 3D game sort of like Sonic Adventure, but with Momentum and Rolling mechanics
Ah...so what Sonic Adventure was originally supposed to be? Good, good.

The movement speeds is just my interpretation of how fast they move, though there's also an element of their gameplay styles.
I assume everyone will be fast by default and that speed differences are minimal but noticeable, but should Amy *be* the slowest I wonder? In her earliest platformer playable appearances (SA1, 2 and Advance 1) Amy was a bit slow, yes.

She started off slown in SA1 and in the sequel was faster but still noticeably slower than Sonic, Shadow and Metal (which she should be) and in Advance 1 she’s the slowest; in the later games, however, like Sonic Heroes and Runners she’s a speed type, in Speed Forces her speed stat is a 9/10 and in Advance 2 she’s actually the second fastest character. Amy’s no slouch in the speed department. The explanation for Amy’s speed upgrade through the series is legit due to her chasing Sonic all the time.

...And yeah, she was extremely, handicappishly slow in 06, but so was Tails, Knuckles, Silver and Rouge and everyone else like Sonic, Shadow etc. was slow outside of Mach-speed sections. Everyone was basically nerfed to oblivion.

Sonic 06? More like Sonic 0-so-****ing-slow 6.

I’m also surprised that Sonic and Shadow aren’t outright equal.

Rather than having the gameplay styles being totally separate from each other, all the characters are variations on Sonic's base, like the Classic games and Mania
And this is how it should be. Instead of wasting development time on radically different play styles that won’t even stick and flat out have no place in a Sonic game (like the fishing) what should instead be focused on is the core A to B, high speed action play style with level design that compliments the speed and facilitate the intricacies of the momentum physics based nature of the Classics.

Focus on the core Sonic style first then figure out how you’ll make levels accommodate for Tails’s flight ability or Knuckles’s climbing and gliding ability for, say, acces to shortcuts etc.

What’s interesting about Adventure is Tails and Knuckles were actually based on Sonic’s base at a certain point in development, we know this because they both have Spin Dash models and animations, they just go unused. (...even though there’s a whole other button that isn’t used for anything, that should’ve been where they placed Tail Swipe and punching)

We see in early prototype footage that Tails is running around in Sonic’s version of certain levels (Speed Highway, which still had him use the rocket that takes you to the second act) with no race mechanic, just running around freely as if he were Sonic:

as well as seeing him in a completely different version of Twinkle Park, which is a level he can’t even access in the final.

Yeah, that’s actually Twinkle Park. You can see the barrels and 3-globe street lamps with flags from the final version of the stage. Interestingly, there’s a texture used in TP for certain objects in the final game that shows an alternate angle of this same area, revealing a different roller coaster with yellow tracks (you can see the yellow tracks in the gif) and the different background texture which shows off a bunch stars as well as some giant yellow stars (and you can see one big yellow star in the top right corner in the gif).

Also, in the SET file (The level object files, they contain the object layouts for the characters:

SETLLSSC.BIN

Where LL is the level number, SS is the level segment (Act) number, and C is the character playing the level.)

Anyway, the SET file for TP Act 1 ( SET0300S ) in the AutoDemo prototype is a complete mismatch for the actual level geometry; the objects for the level actually reveal a large, circular stage with said objects being in places that you would expect for a platforming level and not any of the Twinkle Kart race tracks. Since the area in the gif and texture appears to be circular we actually think that the leftover SET file is for THAT version of the stage.

The AutoDemo is a giant mess of files crammed in from different stages of development, but at least we got Beta Windy Valley out of it as well as textures dating all the way back to November 1997. Of course, the sucky thing about Windy Valley is that the textures for everything but the dust cloud from the tornado was removed, which leads everyone at Retro to believe that it was already in the process of being redesigned during the time frame where the AutoDemo was compiled.

; Sonic, Tails and Knuckles would basically be translated from Mania, while Amy and Cream are mostly translated from Advance/2 (yes, this would include Cheese).
So Cream’s broken during boss fights, cool. Can Knuckles punch?

Shadow has Chaos Spears and Chaos Burst, he can also somersault out of his Spin Dash for a higher jump.
Shadow sounds fun. Burst will work like it does in Battle I assume but can the Spears target multiple enemies at once? In order to be fun to use it should work fast and efficiently so if there are more than one enemy close to him the Spears should come out in multiple bolts similarly to SA2 or Generations and home in on multiple enemies in his immediate direction destroying them simultaneously. Pretty similar to Light Speed Attack I suppose.

Rouge is capable of both flying and gliding, giving her the best aerial mobility.
Holy crap that sounds fun and it makes sense. SA2 gave her glide while Heroes gave her flight so let’s split the difference and give her a flight/gliding mechanic; levels accommodating Rouge would have to be huge. Can she kick?

Blaze has her dance-like moves and Fire Attacks, though she can't boost.
Are you saying she can’t Boost like she could in the Rush titles or are you saying the game has boosting but she can’t do it?
Outside of the main characters, what I wanted to do with the game is introduce non-Game canon characters into the mix as side characters.

Basically, Sonic and Tails travel to an island where they encounter the Acorn Kingdom (i.e. Princess Sally) and all the citizens are characters like Antoine, Bunnie Rabbot, Nicole, Scourge (who's just a harmless punk rather than villainous), Johnny Lightfoot, Porker Lewis, Tekno, Ebony, Shortfuse and Breezie (not a robot); among others.

Ebony runs a Coffee shop where you can buy items for rings (like, say, Chilli Dogs that temporarily increase your speed), while Breezie runs a resort spot.

The game would also reveal that Eggman has two brothers, Julian (naturally based on the SatAM/Archie Robotnik) and Nigel (based on the STC/AoSTH Robotnik, moreso the insane STC Robotnik); they bring characters like the Swat Bots, Scratch and Grounder, Snively, Grimer, Brutus, Metamorpha, Vermin and others.

To introduce the other main characters into the story, Shadow and Rouge are on the island on behalf of G.U.N., Amy and Cream are on vacation, Blaze is teleported there from her dimension because of an accident made while fighting Eggman Nega. As for Knuckles... uh... *shrug*.
Ah, walls of text.

HAH! "Two".
That sounds cool. Since the Archie characters in particular got Sonic appropriate redesigns post-Genesis reboot:

I’d be happy to have them.

Breezie?
Hell yeah.

With Knuckles, SEGA can always just say that Tikal and Chaos become temporary guardians so that Knuckles can go out and have a life. Bam, easy explanation right there.

Also, two brothers?

Perfect opportunity to bring in the niece. :troll:

The idea of giving them Eggman’s personalities from other media sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom