• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Money is tight. I don’t buy a game unless I know I’m gonna like it. That’s what trailers and lets plays and reviews are for. And your right. That’s how every game company works. You don’t support a game or company you’re not gonna like.
Yeah that's fair

But you can't say stuff like "2D Mario is a slippery mess" or "3D Mario has no personality" without actually having had played them

You can tell when a game isn't for you through reviews and the like. But unless it's obviously broken Sonic '06 style, you can't say the game is bad until you actually play it.
> article 13 passes
> board having no lasago

View attachment 201321
this is so sad

jon i can hear you

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Has anyone seen the Julius/Juliusaurus/Julius-r-us? He vanished and we have been looking for him ever since, but to no avail. Please find our boy.

D

Deleted member

Well all three of your picks are top tier, so good work regardless.

Also, pick Daisy. She's better.
My previous top 5 for characters in Ultimate were :ultinkling:, :ultkrool:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultridley:, and :ultwario:. Now, though, I'm considering replacing :ultkrool: with :ultpeach: or :ultlucina: and maaaaaybe swapping :ultridley: for :ultganondorf:, :ultkingdedede:, or :ultluigi:. I wanted to secondary :ultisabelle: back at launch but I can not for the life of me figure out how the heck you play her, so she's pretty much gonna be reserved exclusively for when I'm playing singleplayer or casual matches.

Also, I don't like Daisy very much so I'd probably play Peach instead.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They are. And you're a smart consumer.

It's the "I'm gonna make very acutely negative statements about games I've never played as if I've played them" part that's earning you all this backlash.

I haven't played a MGS game because it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I don't come in here and tell Snake fans their games suck.
So my opinions don’t matter unless I constantly pump hundreds of dollars into a game company I hate for games I hate. That’s rediculous.

D

Deleted member

Alrighty guys. Final fantasy 7 is out on the switch today! Can’t wait to play it!
11566FD1-70BF-4B20-B33B-C1C4EDBA328A.jpeg

Do you think the switch version will only have 2 songs?

D

Deleted member

So my opinions don’t matter unless I constantly pump hundreds of dollars into a game company I hate for games I hate. That’s rediculous.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU HATE THE GAMES IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ****ING PLAYED THEM?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah that's fair

But you can't say stuff like "2D Mario is a slippery mess" or "3D Mario has no personality" without actually having had played them

You can tell when a game isn't for you through reviews and the like. But unless it's obviously broken Sonic '06 style, you can't say the game is bad until you actually play it.

this is so sad

jon i can hear you
I actually did try NSMBWii at a friends house. So that’s an accurate statement. Played for like 10 minutes before I gave up in frustration.

And i’ve Watched people online play through the entirety of Odyssey. That’s where that came from.

D

Deleted member

Basically, yeah. You can't say the games are bad until you play the games, with only a couple exceptions. You can, however, acknowledge that the games aren't your style. But judging a game before you actually play it is very disingenuous
Played for like 10 minutes before I gave up in frustration.
is nsmbwii really that difficult

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You know, seeing Smash talk, or at least some characters being talked about... it sometimes gives me that sudden urge to bring up justice, featuring a particular character. :ultpit:

But at this point, I seem pretty predictable.
(I'm still alive btw, just feeling inactive or left out or something like that.)

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey, I'm maining him. The point of the game is to have fun, and you can always get better as a player. Also, Cannonball is a good move now, jab connects, forward smash is fast and powerful, and you can jump out of side-b.
As someone who plays the game slightly more competitively than causally, I still wanna look for a character that fits me best.

I’m still pretty good w/ Jr (which a few people here can probably agree with) and he’s still one of my pocket picks, but in the end Ridley and Bowser just have more going for them.

Plus they, alongside some of my other pocket picks, have been getting better results, both for me personally and in the general competitive scene (I think).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No? You're trying to play a victim card here and it's not working.

The fact is there's a very real difference between "2D Mario games don't look like something I want to play so I haven't" and "2D Mario games are a slippery mess". The former is an uninformed opinion. The latter is a misleading statement because it implies that you've actually played them and come to the conclusion that they're slippery.

You can take the stance that you don't think you'll like a game so you don't want to buy it, or you can take a stance that you've had experience playing the game and decided you didn't like it. You can't have both. That is why everyone here is currently arguing with you.

D

Deleted member

Money is tight. I don’t buy a game unless I know I’m gonna like it. That’s what trailers and lets plays and reviews are for. And your right. That’s how every game company works. You don’t support a game or company you’re not gonna like.
It seems you don't like most of what Nintendo offers, then. Might I ask why you make them your platform of choice when you don't care for a majority of their games?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Basically, yeah. You can't say the games are bad until you play the games, with only a couple exceptions. You can, however, acknowledge that the games aren't your style. But judging a game before you actually play it is very disingenuous

is nsmbwii really that difficult
Yes. It is. I could barely control the character. They slip and slide all over the screen no matter what you do.

Good to know that I’m not allowed to have opinions. I’ll keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member

First of all. You're judging something without trying it, and even I get the impression that you cant seem to accept other people liking it.

Second. Look how you're approaching the situation, you're being pretty unreasonable with a lot of your statements and acting like the only correct opinion is yours regarding the games.

D

Deleted member

Yes. It is. I could barely control the character. They slip and slide all over the screen no matter what you do.

As someone who's put a good amount of time into all of the NSMB games (haven't finished them, but I've played a good chunk of all of 'em) I'll have to respectfully disagree there. NSMB allows you to control the momentum of your jumps and and use said momentum to adjust your landing in midair pretty well, and as someone who plays a ton of 2D platformers, I think NSMB is a pretty great series. The only thing you could really objectively fault it on is that they're a little starved for creativity and original theming at this point, but if you like 2D Mario, the gameplay is solid. I'd say you just aren't a fan of 2D Mario, which doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you don't like it.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

It's all a matter of getting used to it... with the given time, you'll do very precise jumps with no effort.
Compared to, say, Mario World, New Super Mario Bros Wii is way more influenced by the inertia of the character, but as I said, once you get used to it it will feel natural. Maybe the "New" series are a bit too floaty if anything...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Ugh... Dude, you're allowed to have opinions. Popular or unpopular. But you really need to work on how you deliver them.

I'd love to give you an analysis of One Piece, but I've never read it. So all I can say is that I don't really like the art style and it's way too long for me to want to get invested. I can't tell you the story sucks or the dialogue is hammy or the characters are bad or the settings are lackluster or the plot twists are telegraphed from miles away, because I haven't read it. So my opinion is simply that: the opinion of a person who's never read it basing his opinion on the cover and word of mouth.

Please tell me you see the difference.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If we're talking about gameplay, yes. Games are by nature things interactive experiences and there's only so much that watching someone play a game can tell you. Unless there's a clear flaw in the design such as glitches or long loading times you're not going to understand how a game controls or feels, and that limits how much you can properly explain your thoughts on how it works.

D

Deleted member

If a platformer lets you slip and slide all over, I don't think it's a platformer. However, New Super Mario Bros. Wii had pretty damn good controls.
You sure it wasn't a different character or powerup?

thinkscott.png

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It seems you don't like most of what Nintendo offers, then. Might I ask why you make them your platform of choice when you don't care for a majority of their games?
I haven't really read far back so I'm probably going to be missing the broader context, but I think it's possible not to like a decent amount of a company's output and still buy into their platform. Nintendo has a huge library of IP, which means you can still have things you enjoy from them without really caring about the vast majority. That's definitely the case for me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No? You're trying to play a victim card here and it's not working.

The fact is there's a very real difference between "2D Mario games don't look like something I want to play so I haven't" and "2D Mario games are a slippery mess". The former is an uninformed opinion. The latter is a misleading statement because it implies that you've actually played them and come to the conclusion that they're slippery.

You can take the stance that you don't think you'll like a game so you don't want to buy it, or you can take a stance that you've had experience playing the game and decided you didn't like it. You can't have both. That is why everyone here is currently arguing with you.
Read my earlier posts to know where my 2D Mario quote came from.

Also, simply stating “it doesn’t look like I will like the game” doesn’t change anything. The games still kept being made, taking resources away from games i’d rather see. So I’m taking a page from their book and aggressively bashing the competition no matter what. That’s the only way my side has any chance of winning.
My platform of choice is Xbox One. But the Switch is nice because it’s portable.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994

It seems like you entered this discussion assuming you were in the right, and/or you're trying to argue subjectivity as objective. If you're "not allowed to have opinions," it's probably because you disagree with many others, but would rather be stubborn than concede or end the argument. I don't really know what else to say.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I have a message from Nintendo guys:

“Hello everyone. Great news! We have updated the firmware in our nervous system marketing implants! From now on, you’ll be able to dream about our advertisements and crave our products in high quality technicolor!”

D

Deleted member

The games still kept being made, taking resources away from games i’d rather see. So I’m taking a page from their book and aggressively bashing the competition no matter what. That’s the only way my side has any chance of winning.
of course, ranting on a random smash forum is sure to get banjo-threeie made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom