• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
But, Mario sucks.

The 2D platformer s are slippery messes that haven’t had a new idea in over a decade. And 3D Mario lacks any sort of real personality. And both lack an interesting narrative. I will admit Odyssey is a step in the right direction, even if it’s still a little too clean and polished a world for me. I still prefer my Crash and my Jak and my Sly and my Banjo. Heck, Donkey Kong Country is better than 2D Mario. Same goes for Kirby.

Zelda doesn’t fair much better for me. The combat always feels lacking and restrictive. And I’m not much for puzzle solving. If there were more of a story to keep me invested than that would be great, but the plot is always so baren. Zelda just doesn’t do anything to hook me.

Splatoon was alright, but I haven’t gone back and played it sense the single player mode was beaten.

I like the idea of Punch-Out, but i’ve never played it.

I’d like Metroid more if it wasn’t trying to scare me and could just be a fun action game in space, but that’s just not what it is.

I don’t like RPGs so FE and XBC are out. Even Pokémon and EarthBound. I like the world but I hate the gameplay.

Star Fox looks cool but it hasn’t had a single good game sense the N64.

Mario Kart is fun but I will always prefer “clones” that feature other casts of characters I actually like.

I don’t know, what am I missing?
"mario sucks" is a very blanket statement to make about a series with hundreds of games. Yes, 2D mario became mindless and ****ty after a while. You won't get any argument from me on that. And tbh, I really don't like mario 3D world. I also completely agree on your point about Kirby.

However

To say Mario Odyssey is a "step in the right direction" is greatly underselling how well designed and creative that game is. There is precisely 1 3D mario game lacking in personality. The rest of the games are full of it. I have no clue how you drew this conclusion.

Zelda not being your cup of tea is understandable, but once again, these games are designed very uniquely compared to other games, and when the formula got stale, they completely switched it up.

I don't really understand where you got the idea that Metroid games are trying to scare you. It literally is a fun action game in space.

As for the rest of your points, I agree on Star Fox and Earthbound, but I recommend Punch Out for the Wii. It's a phenomenal game.

I feel as if you're simply understating what Nintendo has innovated in comparison to other companies.

D

Deleted member

Wish people could understand that liking a piece of media has nothing to do with the company that owns them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"mario sucks" is a very blanket statement to make about a series with hundreds of games. Yes, 2D mario became mindless and ****ty after a while. You won't get any argument from me on that. And tbh, I really don't like mario 3D world. I also completely agree on your point about Kirby.

However

To say Mario Odyssey is a "step in the right direction" is greatly underselling how well designed and creative that game is. There is precisely 1 3D mario game lacking in personality. The rest of the games are full of it. I have no clue how you drew this conclusion.

Zelda not being your cup of tea is understandable, but once again, these games are designed very uniquely compared to other games, and when the formula got stale, they completely switched it up.

I don't really understand where you got the idea that Metroid games are trying to scare you. It literally is a fun action game in space.

As for the rest of your points, I agree on Star Fox and Earthbound, but I recommend Punch Out for the Wii. It's a phenomenal game.

I feel as if you're simply understating what Nintendo has innovated in comparison to other companies.
Everyone always gushes over how alone and isolated and weak the Metroid games make you feel. Makes it sound like it’s trying to be a horror game.

I will check out Punch-Out Wii

But as for innovation, if they’re innovating into something I don’t like, there’s only so much praise I can give it.

As for Mario’s personality..... I still don’t see it. When I look at Mario (especially Odyssey) I see someone going “look how WEIRD I am! Don’t I have such great personality!” And i’m like, no. You don’t have a personality. You’re just being strange for the sake of it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Have you played tropical freeze? Best game in the DKC franchise so far and it was made entirely by nintendo
Yes. I have. And it wasn’t made by Nintendo. It was made by Retro.

reminds you of a certain something doesn't it

guh-huh
Banjo isn’t weird. It’s charming. The locations all have a logic to them and the writing has that classic British dry wit.

D

Deleted member

I swear to god though if this actually does turn into a banjo vs steve debate I’m burning down Microsoft headquarters.

D

Deleted member

Just checked State of Play's like to dislike ratio 'cause I got curious.

It has like 14k dislikes and only 4.9k likes. Ooooooooooooooooof.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Just checked State of Play's like to dislike ratio 'cause I got curious.

It has like 14k dislikes and only 4.9k likes. Ooooooooooooooooof.
Yep see what happens when you don't have your precious kratos to help you!

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Everyone always gushes over how alone and isolated and weak the Metroid games make you feel. Makes it sound like it’s trying to be a horror game.

As for Mario’s personality..... I still don’t see it. When I look at Mario (especially Odyssey) I see someone going “look how WEIRD I am! Don’t I have such great personality!” And i’m like, no. You don’t have a personality. You’re just being strange for the sake of it.
No, it’s about giving you the feeling that you’re on an isolated, empty planet. It’s about vibe, it’s about the aura the world radiates, not the genre.

Also, Odyssey’s literal theme is Mario going to weird worlds he’s never been to in any other game. This theme is also present in Galaxy, but in a completely different, much more dramatic way. And “weird” isn’t even present at all in Sunshine.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
View attachment 201308
pakky gtfo you're ruining the balance
Nah man... Pakky’s maintaining the balance.

See, there are exactly 2 names on either side of him.

Perfectly balanced.

Also I just found today that Endgame is 3 hours long, what the actual **** Marvel... how did you somehow make it 30 minutes longer than Infinity War?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Banjo isn’t weird. It’s charming. The locations all have a logic to them and the writing has that classic British dry wit.
Oh so Banjo being odd is a personality trait, but Mario doing it is just trying to be quirky?

I don't know where you are getting your information from on this. Mario is not trying too hard to be weird. It has never been a franchise to do that. Not saying Banjo is either, but it seems like you kind of have it out for Mario.

I get the feeling you don't really play these games considering you thought Metroid was a horror game. I recommend Mario Sunshine or Galaxy if you get the chance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As a mod, I feel like I need to share some wholesomeness in this tense discussion.

D

Deleted member

The last time I teared up at a Mario game, it would be the time where I arrived at the Lake Kingdom. How they constructed it, the music and everything was something that Mario never really done before.

The last time I teared up at a Banjo game, it would have to be at Nuts & Bolts.

...That's it, just Nuts & Bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom