• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
TBH I feel it reflects Corrin's personality pretty well.

In that they don't have any.
Best comment on Fates today.

Though seriously I'm having a hard time remembering any Corrin support that didn't start with Corrin just saying hi while _____ was doing something stereotypical associated with ______'s character.

D

Deleted member

Y'all is it possible that we could get Marvel, Star Wars, or assorted Fox IP stuff in the next Kingdom Hearts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
This is all assuming that what Goku said was 100% true and not at all a bad guess.

Applying this to what's said in Super, if we write off the observations of Kefla and Vegito's perceived strength as just bad guesses (or bad writing), the power scaling all makes way more sense. So I choose to do that.
it is, without a doubt, bad writing. But the characters are never stated to have any narrative reason to lie about it. Goku isn't an unreliable narrator, he is stated to be really smart when it comes to fighting and determining power. I mean, the characters could be perceiving the power a certain way, yes, but there is no real reason for them to be wrong about it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That was one of the weirder parts of GT for me, we head out into space and now suddenly there are a bunch of random aliens that are supposed to be stronger than an embodiment of destruction?
It was bad writing to try and draw back in the audience they'd lost in the more lighthearted episodes.

If we take that line out entirely and base Rilldo's power more around the androids, all of the show's powerscaling makes WAY more sense. That was my point: someone saying something is true shouldn't be taken as truth over the evidence you actually see play out onscreen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, the only thing I can say is that nothing like that has ever actually happened in the show. Because the writers want to tell more interesting stories than that I guess.
But that's what I mean! They pretty much forced themselves into a corner here because they realized "Oh **** by doing this we can't really raise the stakes and have our viewers believe Ben cannot win". Kamen Rider Ex-Aid gave the main hero a "I win" button and that's one of the reasons why the final batch of episodes are so lackluster

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
it is, without a doubt, bad writing. But the characters are never stated to have any narrative reason to lie about it. Goku isn't an unreliable narrator, he is stated to be really smart when it comes to fighting and determining power. I mean, the characters could be perceiving the power a certain way, yes, but there is no real reason for them to be wrong about it.
He also thought Monaka was a powerful fighter and couldn't tell he was fighting Beerus in a Monaka costume even as the costume was getting ripped to shreds.

Like, in some ways he's a genius, but in some ways he's also a total imbecile.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The problem with canon debates, in my mind, is the difference between someone saying something and someone doing something.

So for instance, the Potara earrings. The Elder Kai specifically states that if you use them to fuse, the fusion is forever. But in Super, that's easily retconned by a different supreme kai saying, "Nah, it's only an hour yo". Then in GT (I know it's not canon, but I'm talking about specifically GT canon), Goku tells Pan that General Rilldo is "even stronger than Majin Buu". If we take that statement at face value, it means all of these things are also true within the Z-to-GT canon:
  • Pan is at least able to fight on par with Buu as she kicks Rilldo across the face and sends him flying backward, all at base level.
  • Goku, as a child unable to use his adult techniques, is now stronger than Super Buu as a regular super saiyan; do the math on how strong he is by SS4, then.
  • Gohan as a regular super saiyan and not his mystic form is also now stronger than Super Buu, as he killed Rilldo in one shot. This is despite not training for over a decade.
  • Uub is actually multiple times stronger than Super Buu ever was, and after fusing with Majin Buu, Baby Vegeta is still stronger, meaning Vegeta himself is stronger than Super Vegito by multiple times. Before ever attaining SS4 or SS3.
  • This means that Omega Shenron, who can take on two SS4s at once and win handily, is probably stronger than Beerus.
This is all assuming that what Goku said was 100% true and not at all a bad guess.

Applying this to what's said in Super, if we write off the observations of Kefla and Vegito's perceived strength as just bad guesses (or bad writing), the power scaling all makes way more sense. So I choose to do that.
Elder Kai's "Potara is forever" compared to Gowasu's "Potara is an hour except when used by Kais" is explained easily by Elder Kai just never having seen it used on mortals, they do make a point that Elder Kai gets a lot of stuff wrong.

Regarding "bad guesses", characters can be wrong. :laugh:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Elder Kai's "Potara is forever" compared to Gowasu's "Potara is an hour except when used by Kais" is explained easily by Elder Kai just never having seen it used on mortals, they do make a point that Elder Kai gets a lot of stuff wrong.

And then it's "Potara can be cancelled early if it's too damn strong"

D

Deleted member

Y'all is it possible that we could get Marvel, Star Wars, or assorted Fox IP stuff in the next Kingdom Hearts?
We're most likely having Olympus once again.

I wish they would do the Incredibles, Emperor's New Groove and the Great Mouse Detective worlds for the next ones. I feel that Marvel could carry a game on its own.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But that's what I mean! They pretty much forced themselves into a corner here because they realized "Oh **** by doing this we can't really raise the stakes and have our viewers believe Ben cannot win". Kamen Rider Ex-Aid gave the main hero a "I win" button and that's one of the reasons why the final batch of episodes are so lackluster
All I can say is that it didn't bother me and I still felt the stakes in the episodes after that change happened. It also helps that the whole "no mistransformation" thing didn't happen till the last scene of the last episode, so for most of the show their was always a chance that he wouldn't become Alien X if he tried. He did get rid of the time limit though. And even then he was only like "I may not always get the alien I want but I always get the alien that I need, so I'm just gonna stop fighting it".

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Speaking of people just getting stuff wrong.

Why is 17 so goddamn powerful in Super. Like, I know we've already talked about it and this isn't a Dragonball thread and 17 is cool so everyone forgives it but seriously what the **** Toriyama. Keep better track of your own goddamn canon.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Which apparently doesn't apply to the fusion dance, for some unexplained reason.

Gogeta definitely expended more power fighting Broly than Vegito did fighting Zamasu.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, the Fusion Dance also has that weakness (also, Goku somehow managed to overpower Kefla's fusion with Ultra Instinct).

I actually think it'd be a "Good" idea, if they scrapped the "too much power destabilizes the fusion" for the Fusion Dance, and gave it to the Potara instead.

Considering how much effort is required for the Fusion Dance, it would make for a good trade-off. Do you use the Fusion Dance, allowing you to use full power for half an hour, no more, no less; or do you use the easy Potara Fusion, giving you an hour but running the risk of separating prematurely?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Why is 17 so goddamn powerful in Super. Like, I know we've already talked about it and this isn't a Dragonball thread and 17 is cool so everyone forgives it but seriously what the **** Toriyama. Keep better track of your own goddamn canon.
Toriyama couldn't remember Launch or 18's hair colour, I honestly expect him to end up forgetting Chi Chi exists or something

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It's a well known fact that poachers rival the strength of interplanetary dictators.

MainJPW

M.T.A

Because he trained really hard off-screen. The manga at least shows us that he was training with Cell Jrs as well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
We're most likely having Olympus once again.

I wish they would do the Incredibles, Emperor's New Groove and the Great Mouse Detective worlds for the next ones. I feel that Marvel could carry a game on its own.
From what trouble I heard getting Toy Story in KH3, id imagine getting Incredibles would be hard too

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

Literally the writing and power scaling in super is beyond awful. Android 17 shouldn't even be NEAR Super Saiyan Blue. They didn't even try to explain it other than "yeah he's been training a lot ig lol"

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Toriyama couldn't remember Launch or 18's hair colour, I honestly expect him to end up forgetting Chi Chi exists or something
He clearly has.

Bulma has the money and the smarts and the modern Western beauty. Chi-Chi has the cooking. So when they need to lure Whis and Beerus with delicious Earth food, who cooks it? Chi-Chi ****ing Bulma.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Poachers are easy EXP.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Any idea what Joker's victory theme will be?
His victory theme from winning a battle in P5. Probably on an endless loop like Cloud.

That or an ending chord from Life Will Change or the start of Last Surprise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alien X's power is "Whatever the hell I damn well want to happen right now, will happen" and then ****ing reality bends backwards and says "Ravage me". It is the biggest example of a "I win" button. There's no suspense when there's no restriction on the "I win" button, because from that point on, everyone will know that the "I win" button will make everything meaningless

Huh. I heard the Vilgax stuff was handled very well

Never because Roshi's a joke that's gotten stale years ago
Um I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you Roshi would be the best way to represent the OG Dragon Ball without using yet another Goku and I unironically like Roshi cause he was super cool in the ToP arc. While nowadays he's basically a Joke he's one of the OG and I fully support him for Fighterz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom