• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, among other things, Nintendo Everything translated Sakurai's Incineroar vs Decidueye comments. Here's the relevant section:

So, Incineroar was taken from the newest Pokémon games.

Sakurai: While I was having talks with The Pokémon Company, they had shared with me some of the development details for the upcoming Pokémon Sun & Moon games. Up until the very end it was between Decidueye and Incineroar – which one should I choose? I felt like I could do interesting things with either of them, but in the end, I went with Incineroar.

What led you to the deciding between those two?

Sakurai: They were both strong as characters – had it been Decidueye, I could’ve done a variety of things with projectiles and the like.

There hasn’t been a fighter that fights like a pro-wrestler.

Sakurai: Part of what they showed me had an image of a fire vortex coming out of Incineroar’s belt, but that didn’t really go with the pro-wrestling image, so I didn’t use it. I thought it would be more fun if the character revolved entirely around the wrestler concept. That being said, pro-wrestling can be completely different depending on the generation, right? I grew up in All Japan Pro-Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s heyday, when they were still being broadcast on Golden. As of today, though, it seems like there’s a lot of people that don’t really know much about pro-wrestling.

So basically, here's the full context, abridged:

- Pretty much the entire time, it was only between tiger and owl.
- Sakurai thought both would've been great picks, specifically noting Decidueye's focus on projectiles.
- In the end, Sakurai's love of wrestling won out.

So not too much we didn't know before. And hey, at least Decidueye got some hefty consideration. :)

D

Deleted member

The other week, I purchased BotW using my remaining birthday cash, but decided to trade it
in for eShop cards, which I used to purchase the Fighters Pass.
I know, it was a bad decision, but I wasn’t 100% sure that I would enjoy it, and I don’t regret it. I’ll get it another time when I know that the decision will be completely safe.

D

Deleted member

**** it, may as well list some more opinions of mine:
  • I like Devil May Cry 4 slightly more than Devil May Cry 3
  • Gen 5 is overrated.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the best Xenoblade
  • Fire Emblem is ****
  • Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is not the best SMT game.
  • Incineroar is a good pokemon
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 isn't that fun.
  • Twilight Princess is the third worst console Zelda title, followed by NES Zelda and Wind Waker.
  • Resident Evil 3 isn't that bad.
  • Portrait of Ruin is the best DS Castlevania title.
ok

literal trash taste territory now

i bet you **** on wind waker because it looked more cartoony when you were 3
I don't hate it because of it's artstyle. I hate it because of it's sailing, dungeons, and story. You got something to say that?

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean RE's is one of Capcom's biggest franchises, so it should do fine. Especially after the digital version of RE1's remake sold really well. They might do an RE3 remake, since it takes place in the same location with different characters, but at the same time, do you think they want to wait a few years for it or not?
Right, but with those lofty expectations comes a greater chance at disappointment. Consider that RE6 managed to sell over 6 million units last console generation but was still considered a disappointment by Capcom (not critically, but financially). So if RE2make sells millions, but not as many millions as Capcom was hoping, and it doesn't have any additional live content to keep players engaged and spending money, will Capcom reconsider letting this team make a game like this again? Or, will it exceed expectations and convince Capcom to invest more in traditional games like RE2make?

If it's the latter, I imagine they'd try to squeeze out an RE3make before the next generation of consoles, since they can realistically reuse a ton of RE2make's assets. Just like RE3 itself. That would give them another surefire seller before the market splits between generations of consoles, without the added development time required to produce it for new hardware.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So assuming the saber-toothed cat design was chosen over the design we got for Incineroar. Do you guys still think we would had gotten him in this game or do you think Sakurai would had picked Decidueye?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai thought both would've been great picks, specifically noting Decidueye's focus on projectiles.
:ultmegaman: is ****ing crying rn

So assuming the saber-toothed cat design was chosen over the design we got for Incineroar. Do you guys still think we would had gotten him in this game or do you think Sakurai would had picked Decidueye?
>if the main design that sakurai's personal choice wasn't used, which one would be used

wow i sure wonder

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

first one
dont know what a tms is, i dont speak acronyms
rest is kino

dawg i like mother but i aint obsessed

it died in 2006, let it rest in peace
Well I'm obsessed with it.

And no I won't let it rest in piece :laugh:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Did you know? Sakurai WROTE the Lyrics of the World of Light!

Sakurai: “By the way, I don’t really want to touch upon the fact that I wrote the lyrics. If it becomes like this message coming from the production side, that sort of breaks the illusion, so please don’t dwell on it.”

Source:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
**** it, may as well list some more opinions of mine:
  • Resident Evil 3 isn't that bad.
Since when is RE3 regarded badly? I've seen so few if any say anything bad about the original trilogy, outside of people who dislike all three due to tank controls.

Personally it's my favorite, as long as we aren't counting REmake.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, among other things, Nintendo Everything translated Sakurai's Incineroar vs Decidueye comments. Here's the relevant section:

Sakurai: While I was having talks with The Pokémon Company, they had shared with me some of the development details for the upcoming Pokémon Sun & Moon games. Up until the very end it was between Decidueye and Incineroar – which one should I choose? I felt like I could do interesting things with either of them, but in the end, I went with Incineroar.

Sakurai: They were both strong as characters – had it been Decidueye, I could’ve done a variety of things with projectiles and the like.

Sakurai: Part of what they showed me had an image of a fire vortex coming out of Incineroar’s belt, but that didn’t really go with the pro-wrestling image, so I didn’t use it. I thought it would be more fun if the character revolved entirely around the wrestler concept. That being said, pro-wrestling can be completely different depending on the generation, right? I grew up in All Japan Pro-Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s heyday, when they were still being broadcast on Golden. As of today, though, it seems like there’s a lot of people that don’t really know much about pro-wrestling.

- Sakurai thought both would've been great picks, specifically noting Decidueye's focus on projectiles.

So not too much we didn't know before. And hey, at least Decidueye got some hefty consideration. :)
This is very interesting. From the beginning it was between the Owl and the Cat, sucks for Lycanroc. Looks like it wasn't even considered.

Guess the fancy new form, ace slot in the anime and all the promotion meant nothing.

Incineroar's the best though, so i'm not upset.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well I'm obsessed with it.

And no I won't let it rest in piece :laugh:
Just let Itoi do whatever weird business he's doing man

Did you know? Sakurai WROTE the Lyrics of the World of Light!

Sakurai: “By the way, I don’t really want to touch upon the fact that I wrote the lyrics. If it becomes like this message coming from the production side, that sort of breaks the illusion, so please don’t dwell on it.”

Source:
Welcome to Late News with Jon

D

Deleted member

Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and Smash Ultimate are great games. Among the best of their series'.

Unpopular opinions, I know.

3D World is good ****. There's my unpopular opinion.
If you really want unpopular opinions...

I like Paper Mario Color Splash.
For all its objective flaws, Luigi's Mansion 3DS was fun.
Yoshi's New Island is okay.
Fire Emblem Fates is a good game.

first one
dont know what a tms is, i dont speak acronyms
rest is kino
Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

D

Deleted member

Since when is RE3 regarded badly? I've seen so few if any say anything bad about the original trilogy, outside of people who dislike all three due to tank controls.

Personally it's my favorite, as long as we aren't counting REmake.
I've seen some people say RE3 isn't that great.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Would he still have been able to wrestle in that form?
No he was four legged like Lycanroc.

I honestly suspect we would had gotten Decidueye for sure since Incineroar's wrestling moves was the reason Sakurai picked him for uniqueness.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If you really want unpopular opinions...

I like Paper Mario Color Splash.
For all its objective flaws, Luigi's Mansion 3DS was fun.
Yoshi's New Island is okay.
Fire Emblem Fates is a good game.
I'm not that cool with Color Splash, I don't hate it it's just not my thing. Prisma Splash was my jam in 2016 though, one of the best gaming songs period.

D

Deleted member

This couldn't be farther from unpopular.
I thought people didn't like LM's 3DS port???

Is that just a thing only I've seen?

Also, since someone else brought it up, heck yeah Star Fox Adventures is good.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Right, but with those lofty expectations comes a greater chance at disappointment. Consider that RE6 managed to sell over 6 million units last console generation but was still considered a disappointment by Capcom (not critically, but financially). So if RE2make sells millions, but not as many millions as Capcom was hoping, and it doesn't have any additional live content to keep players engaged and spending money, will Capcom reconsider letting this team make a game like this again? Or, will it exceed expectations and convince Capcom to invest more in traditional games like RE2make?

If it's the latter, I imagine they'd try to squeeze out an RE3make before the next generation of consoles, since they can realistically reuse a ton of RE2make's assets. Just like RE3 itself. That would give them another surefire seller before the market splits between generations of consoles, without the added development time required to produce it for new hardware.
Yeah, but that also depends on their expectations for the game. RE6 sold really well. But they had stupid expectations of it selling 30 million. I think if they kept themselves in line a bit more, it should be fine. Should be being the key word.

I do also question if it's "too late" for the current console generation. Most consoles tend to last 5-6 years right? PS4 and XBONE have been out for about that long. So who's to say for sure.

D

Deleted member

I’ve been unable to find any of the sabre-toothed designs for Incineroar.
Would someone be able to pull it up?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've seen some people say RE3 isn't that great.
Well those people are dead now. Nemesis got them.

No but seriously I was on Capcom-Unity for years and I don't really remember anyone sharing that opinion. And Nemesis has carried on as the most highly regarded villain not named Wesker, getting his own game mode in RE:ORC, an appearance in two MvC games and a spiritual successor in RE6's Jake campaign.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

My owl starter... you were so close... if only you had some hints of wrestling.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai: "Please don't dwell on the fact that I wrote the Lifelight lyrics."

Source Gaming, immediately afterwards: BREAKING NEWS!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Decidueye, most likely. Humanoid characters seem easier to make more rounded close quarters movesets with. Even if Decidueye while projectile based he'd still likely have an array of close combat options, like Mega Man.

That didn't stop Ivy and DHD of course, but DHD has the support of a duck and zapper while Ivysaur uses vines in place of arms.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

No but seriously I was on Capcom-Unity for years and I don't really remember anyone sharing that opinion. And Nemesis has carried on as the most highly regarded villain not named Wesker, getting his own game mode in RE:ORC, an appearance in two MvC games and a spiritual successor in RE6's Jake campaign.
Real talk, I can't believe Nemesis got in over Wesker.

D

Deleted member

Really? Well, I guess thoughts on RE3 vary from place to place. Where I was, people were rating 3 in the lower end of the spectrum, even placing it with 5 and 6.

D

Deleted member

I am glad we got Incineroar at the end, because Incineroar is so fun to play as. I love it when they taunt everytime they land a good attack.
  • Gen 5 is overrated.
DELETE THAT NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don't hate it because of it's artstyle. I hate it because of it's sailing, dungeons, and story. You got something to say that?
It's always interesting to hear that someone hates a game for the same reasons you love it.

IMO, Sailing, Dungeons, and Story were all fantastic in Wind Waker, and along with its generally fantastic gameplay and presentation, it became one of my top 3 favorite Zelda games, along with Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom