• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The fun of painfully hard games isn't winning it on first try, it's about losing over and over again until you chuck your controller at the TV screen in frustration.

I'm totally buying Cuphead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I hope they do that because there's literally no downside for more inclusive options. See Celeste, a game praised for it's amazing story but the gameplay can be changed with Assist Mode quite a bit so those who can't quite get a grip with the game's difficulty can enjoy it regardless
Cuphead's presentation is like the best part about it. It'd be a shame if someone dropped it because of difficulty, which might have actually happened because it can kick your ass.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And I heard the tutorial isn't overly hard.
Even if someone got stuck on it.
Don't worry, the guy who got stuck was a journalist who claimed it was like Dark Souls or something.

Later in the game, however, it may very well be like Dark Souls (I haven't played Dark Souls though).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fair enough. I wasn't exact with my wording, but a lot of what you mention is barebones and barely fleshes out the world beyond, "Hey, I like your loyalty and we could use each other." This is why I suggest Shadow Dragon isn't a great starting point for older Fire Emblem games, because Shadow Dragon is so faithful of a remake to where it feels like you're starting from the very beginning despite what it adds. It's not bad, but games before Shadow Dragon ditched the structure of the first game for a reason. Why start there when the goal is to ease someone into older games? That's what Fire Emblem GBA and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones do, and both are also available on the Wii U.
I'd argue Shadow Dragon is far from overly faithful, mechanically. There were tons of quality of life changes to the actual gameplay from the original.

In the original...
Only Cavaliers, Mages, Clerics/Curates, Pegasus Knights, Mercenaries, and Archers could promote.
Myrmidons didn't exist and were just Mercenaries.
Heroes and Dracoknights couldn't use axes.
Mercurius was locked to Marth.
Healers could only gain EXP by dodging enemy attacks.
Stat boosters worked completely differently.
Weapon level worked completely differently.
No forging.
No reclassing.
No prologue.
No fallback gaidens.
Barebones writing.
Falchion worked a lot differently.
Specific promotion items were required instead of Master Seals, which are more in line with modern entries.
No map conversations.
Very strict item limits as far as what you could get from shops.
Horrid inventory UI.
That's just off the top of my head, but Shadow Dragon improved on literally all of that. :p

I don't think Shadow Dragon is a bad way to start getting into pre-3DS FE. Sacred Stones is arguably a better way by virtue of it being the easiest game and Magvel's lore being self-contained, but Shadow Dragon's far from daunting.

D

Deleted member

IIRC there is an easy difficulty option in Cuphead, but it removes the final phases from the bosses and locks you off from getting a perfect rank so whether or not it's a good easy mode is another arguement

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Don't worry, the guy who got stuck was a journalist who claimed it was like Dark Souls or something.
It's funny how there's quite a bit of people who didn't live through the retro era of games. Would he consider all nes games like dark souls? :p

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
IIRC there is an easy difficulty option in Cuphead, but it removes the final phases from the bosses so whether or not it's a good easy mode is another arguement
you literally can't progress in cuphead's easy mode

it's more a botched practice mode that doesn't give any more practice than you'd get by actually fighting the damn things normally

D

Deleted member

you literally can't progress in cuphead's easy mode

it's more a botched practice mode that doesn't give any more practice than you'd get by actually fighting the damn things normally
Thanks for clarifying, I never touched that mode so my understanding of it was kinda hazy
I wasn't aware that it didn't count as actually beating a boss though, that's pretty ****ty

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So do you guys still believe Erdrick is going to be our next reveal?
Literally nothing has happened to potentially disprove that so yes
This is the only way to handle giving the player difficulty options.
View attachment 199698
I love DMC3 but honestly that's very offputting for newcomers, it comes across as "Well look at you you ****ing loser. Can't even handle this properly can you? I suppose we'll make it easier for you because you're incompetent." Language is important for these things, which is why DMCV is a surprisingly great step in the right direction by renaming the difficulty modes into 'Human', 'Demon Hunter' and 'Sons of Sparda'. It's less insulting towards newcomers that way, then when they get the hang of it and want more, they can crank up the difficulty whenever they please.

Although then again DMC3's beginning is ****ing ludicrous

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
So I'm starting the next Hungergames pretty soon.
I wanted some more custom text nonsense but when I asked earlier I only got Edea Jokes so I'll ask again now.

Tributes are also open, but to get a Tribute in, you'll need to apply at least one custom event as well

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Shadow Dragon is far from overly faithful, mechanically. There were tons of quality of life changes to the actual gameplay from the original.

In the original...
Only Cavaliers, Mages, Clerics/Curates, Pegasus Knights, Mercenaries, and Archers could promote.
Myrmidons didn't exist and were just Mercenaries.
Heroes and Dracoknights couldn't use axes.
Mercurius was locked to Marth.
Healers could only gain EXP by dodging enemy attacks.
Stat boosters worked completely differently.
Weapon level worked completely differently.
No forging.
No reclassing.
No prologue.
No fallback gaidens.
Barebones writing.
Falchion worked a lot differently.
Specific promotion items were required instead of Master Seals, which are more in line with modern entries.
No map conversations.
Very strict item limits as far as what you could get from shops.
Horrid inventory UI.
That's just off the top of my head, but Shadow Dragon improved on literally all of that. :p

I don't think Shadow Dragon is a bad way to start getting into pre-3DS FE. Sacred Stones is arguably a better way by virtue of it being the easiest game and Magvel's lore being self-contained, but Shadow Dragon's far from daunting.
Again. My bad. My wording wasn't exact. Here's my take: Shadow Dragon is not a bad starting point, but there are way better starting points.

You're right in that a lot of conveniences were added to Shadow Dragon. However, comparing Shadow Dragon to New Mystery of the Emblem (the sequel remake) is what makes me believe Shadow Dragon could have been more, which is my point. Shadow Dragon doesn't do enough to make you not think you're playing the first Fire Emblem game. In fact, I'd say New Mystery is a better starting point because of a more fleshed out story that really expands upon Shadow Dragon's world more than Shadow Dragon ever could, more interesting map layout, and tons of ways to play and break it.

Fire Emblem GBA follows Shadow Dragon's structures but provides way more in narrative and map designs and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones is comfortably easy and gives you a world map to walk around. All of this is said with the intent of making sure @Mr. Wario gets the best pre-3DS experience so I hope I'm not coming off as aggressive or argumentative.

So in conclusion, Shadow Dragon is an okay starting point, but three other games I've listed adds more to it that help you get a better understanding of what classic Fire Emblem is like while still being incredible experiences. Those are my two cents anyway. Would you rather have more or less, Mr. Wario? I'll leave him with that.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wanted some more custom text nonsense but when I asked earlier I only got Edea Jokes so I'll ask again now.

Tributes are also open, but to get a Tribute in, you'll need to apply at least one custom event as well
You got my event idea right?

Arena event

[IMG]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/262/262377.jpg?1552920842[/IMG] Moydow logs in

[Player1] is spared (safe)

[Player1] is banned (fail to survive)

That’s all I got

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Interested, but what kinds of tributes are you looking for? joke text?

Also, what ever happened to PeridotGX PeridotGX 's game?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So, I know I'm late. But I just watched Arlo watch the Nindies showcase, and not only is Cuphead coming to the switch but they explicitly mentioned Microsoft! I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some sort of partnership at E3.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dunno if we'll get all titles on Switch but at least I could see a few of them. Seems like MS pretty much is not going to have exclusives soon.
If we count PC, they haven't had exclusives for a long while.

They lost to PS4 and are completely rethinking their strategy. It's refreshing.

D

Deleted member

So, Cuphead on Switch.

Honestly, while this increases his chances, I doubt he’s getting in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I love DMC3 but honestly that's very offputting for newcomers, it comes across as "Well look at you you ****ing loser. Can't even handle this properly can you? I suppose we'll make it easier for you because you're incompetent." Language is important for these things, which is why DMCV is a surprisingly great step in the right direction by renaming the difficulty modes into 'Human', 'Demon Hunter' and 'Sons of Sparda'. It's less insulting towards newcomers that way, then when they get the hang of it and want more, they can crank up the difficulty whenever they please.
I think DMC3 did it best, because you don't know if a game's going to be too hard for you until you try it out, (and inevitably fail). If you don't die, then you don't need it. If you do, then the option is now open to you. Encourages people to get out of their comfort zone, while also providing the option if it really is difficult enough.

(And then like DMC4 has game clear screens for all difficulties where it goes from "Prequel doesn't mean that you can be a newbie" to "Guess you're not some casual gamer" to "Dude, get out more.")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom