• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I thought they were supposed to be a tag team, like Zelda and Sheik.
That would’ve been cool.
I could have Donkey Kong beat both of his children.
/s

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You’re probably correct.
I’m unfamiliar with the Donkey Kong games.
The only real lore that you need to know, is that the Donkey Kong in Smash and Donkey Kong Country, was not the same one fighting Mario in the arcade game...

That was Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong's (Grand)father

Yeah, the DK lore is super confusing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*completely normal discussion topic*
Someone: "oh wow what kind of NONSENSE did I just walk up to? You guys are so WEIRD!"

D

Deleted member

The only real lore that you need to know, is that the Donkey Kong in Smash and Donkey Kong Country, was not the same one fighting Mario in the arcade game...

That was Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong's father

Yeah, the DK lore is super confusing
Very confusing. . But it’s okay, I read about the lore on the wiki immediately after you proving me wrong. :ultdk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC, while great, is still a platformer similar to that of Mario and we have loads of great platformers out there already (with Mario U DX recently, spend about 3 days 100% both Mario and Luigi U). Nintendo sort of treat DKC the same way it does for the New Super Mario series, one game per system and likely just a port from Wii U for the switch. They can milk the series like CoD, but they don't.

While platformer are fairly common, an adventure game in the style of Metroid Prime however, is extremely rare and we haven't really had a Metroid Prime since 2007 (unless you count MP:FF LOL). So people really miss the Metroid Prime series. Plus, Metroid's on thin ice despite its cult following. Many people want Metroid to be one of Nintendo's biggest IP.
But Metroid had Samus Returns 3D not so long ago. And even if it's a remake, it had new additions and mechanics that made the gameplay fresh and added to the story. I wouldn't have complained if DKC got the same thing, with a remake of say, the original game. But we don't. And that's why am upset. Metroid wasn't really dormant when it mattered, only in the Wii U era and that's a era that's highly forgetable as most of it's quality games have been ported over to the Switch, Tropical Freeze included.

DKC might be a platforming franchise, but it doesn't have to be. Look at games like DK64 for example. That they didn't TRY to do anything new with Donkey Kong afterwards is already selling the franchise short. And no I don't wanna talk about the Bongo games, but at least back then they tried something. Mario and DKC are comparable as much as Mario and Kirby are comparable. Yoshi's also getting a new game which is a platformer, Kirby got a new game, why are they lagging behind with Donkey Kong?

It just doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member

But Metroid had Samus Returns 3D not so long ago. And even if it's a remake, it had new additions and mechanics that made the gameplay fresh and added to the story. I wouldn't have complained if DKC got the same thing, with a remake of say, the original game. But we don't. And that's why am upset. Metroid wasn't really dormant when it mattered, only in the Wii U era and that's a era that's highly forgetable as most of it's quality games have been ported over to the Switch, Tropical Freeze included.

DKC might be a platforming franchise, but it doesn't have to be. Look at games like DK64 for example. That they didn't TRY to do anything new with Donkey Kong afterwards is already selling the franchise short. And no I don't wanna talk about the Bongo games, but at least back then they tried something. Mario and DKC are comparable as much as Mario and Kirby are comparable. Yoshi's also getting a new game which is a platformer, Kirby got a new game, why are they lagging behind with Donkey Kong?

There were rumours about Retro Studios being in bankrupcy... Which could have affected the DKC property to some extent.

But after the fantastic reception that the addition of K.Rool in Smash got online, and the good sales of the Tropical Freeze port, it is highly likely that we will get something new.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Friendly reminder that Dixie was supposed to be in Brawl as a tag team character with Diddy Kong.
I wish Dixie had made it in. However they manage it.

Never! I love the Hitmonlee which I ripped from the Internet!
But, I’ll save the image. One day. .
Am I the only one that thinks Hitmonlee should be in Smash? EVERY fighting game has a Bruce Lee parody in it.... except Smash. Was he in Pokkén?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

"They didn't even try to do anything new and I am going to scream if you bring up those ****ing bongos as they contradict my claim"
What about the racing game, King of Swing and Jungle Climber?

D

Deleted member

"They didn't even try to do anything new and I am going to scream if you bring up those ****ing bongos as they contradict my claim"
What about the racing game, King of Swing and Jungle Climber?
Diddy Kong Racing was dope.

Jungle Climber was my introduction to K.Rool and it is a solid game to check out.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

PLEASE let there be a new 3D Donkey Kong game! Or a new standard DKC, but I really want to see them go 3D.

I hate how, even with companies that I hate with a fiery passion, there are a few things I like. With Disney it’s Ducktales, The Incredibles, and Darkwing Duck. With. Nintendo it’s flippin Donkey Kong! I think it’s probably because I have the subconscious affiliation of the big lug and Rare.

Still waiting for that M-Rated God-Of-War-Style Mewtwo game where you take down twisted monsterous Pokémon hybrids.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wish Dixie had made it in. However they manage it.

Am I the only one that thinks Hitmonlee should be in Smash? EVERY fighting game has a Bruce Lee parody in it.... except Smash. Was he in Pokkén?
Hitmonlee is my most-wanted newcomer!
Glad to see that someone else’d like him in.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Why the heck did Tiny get a mega growth spurt, yet Dixie, still looks the same as she did in 1995?
There's no canonical explanation of why, when the one of the later companies remade the design of the Dk cast, they changed her design to differentiate her from Dixie I think.

I honestly never liked the later version of Tiny, I prefer the cute and spunky classic tomboy one since she was a lot more than just playing as a pretty lady type which an arch type Candy already had.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There's no canonical explanation of why, when the one of the later companies remade the design of the Dk cast, they changed her design to differentiate her from Dixie I think.
I thought Rare, themselves, redesigned her, for Diddy Kong Racing DS

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly never liked the later version of Tiny, I prefer the cute and spunky classic tomboy one since she was a lot more than just playing as a pretty lady type which an arch type Candy already had.
Nooo! The teenage Tiny fanart!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*completely normal discussion topic*
Someone: "oh wow what kind of NONSENSE did I just walk up to? You guys are so WEIRD!"
WHOA there, buckaroo, you're getting a BIT too crazy for my taste. Better post the Grandpa Simpson gif or the Winslow meme for the millionth time, am I right, guys? SO HOW ABOUT SMASH BROS?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

You can be tall and attractive and still be a spunky tomboy. I like Tiny’s redesign. It’s not her fault she isn’t being used so you can like it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

YES

I'm biased - DK64 is the only DK game I've played, but Tiny was awesome. And then...yeesh.

I'm glad that Tiny's Spirit is her DK64 art, and not this new monstrosity we have. I'd actually like another DK game with the old school DK crew back. Lanky and Chunky were great as well.

And of course, give us back the full DK Rap, not this butchered version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom