• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
bro honestly going onto any big character support thread like the isaac one, geno one, etc etc when somebody is confirmed is the funniest ****
Hoo boy!

Just wait till either Erdrick or Steve get announced...

Things are really gonna be nuts, then

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nope, it’s because they’re all from existing franchises that just so all happen to play a part in marketing a specific title. Corrin for Fates, Isabelle for AC 2019, and Incineroar for S&M.

Nobody hated Inklings not because they were expected but because they from a brand new IP, and people enjoy seeing new series represented in Smash and even though they’re recent characters that didn’t come from the 90s or 2000s, they were voted on the Ballot anyway, they just too recent in fact.

Most thought FE and Pokemon were too massively bloated at their times so when they added Corrin and Incineroar, Smash fans just saw them as mere shill picks that were only promoting a game.

Isabelle is a different case since AC only had one character but I’m guessing it’s either because they find her “cool” or if Villager was good enough.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: As for Wii Fit Trainer? Uh, I’m pretty sure that’s because she was chosen as a Shock unless you want to argue about Wii Fit’s sale when Sakurai never mentioned that.
If anyone thought Isabelle was added as promotion their head is WAAAAAAY too far down in the sand.

D

Deleted member

True but I didn't hang out with those communities thinking they were the cool kids when that happened
it's like those kids back in grade school who you thought were super cool but then it turns out that they were just using you to play with your legos, and then they steal your obi-wan minifig hey **** you randy you piece of ****

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If anyone thought Isabelle was added as promotion their head is WAAAAAAY too far down in the sand.
someone's gotta play pocket camp

reminder that pocket camp exists for some reason

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One thing I forgot to bring up was age. I understand kids getting upset and teenagers are very emotionally troubled so I understand that too but seeing people who are supposed to be fully grown, fully developed manbabies **** themselves was honestly disgusting

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I mean in fairness, I felt this way once too, but then I realized how dumb that was...especially since it was only a select few people, and those people still act that way now with other characters.

In other words, the common thread isn't K. Rool.
It's almost as if making generalizations off of the vocal minority (pick your website/support fanbase and pretend it's "literally everywhere") isn't a good idea ever.

But I mean that won't stop anyone from making it seem like it's specific parts of different Nintendo fanbase that are the specific problem instead of just all of them.

Everyone is just as terrible as everyone on the right day.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Nope, it’s because they’re all from existing franchises that just so all happen to play a part in marketing a specific title. Corrin for Fates, Isabelle for AC 2019, and Incineroar for S&M.
Isabelle, a marketing tactic? Is this a joke?

Isabelle's has gone on to become the mascot of the Animal Crossing franchise...

I highly doubt she was added to promote AC switch

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
bro honestly going onto any big character support thread like the isaac one, geno one, etc etc when somebody is confirmed is the funniest ****
Well, I'm a mod for Newcomer Speculation and I can confirm this, big ones tend to get pretty heated frequently.

That's one of the reasons why I'm not too keen on supporting characters just because they are popular in Smash Bubble.

D

Deleted member

One thing I forgot to bring up was age. I understand kids getting upset and teenagers are very emotionally troubled so I understand that too but seeing people who are supposed to be fully grown, fully developed manbabies **** themselves was honestly disgusting
honestly it's wack going onto threads for older characters like geno because you know that there aren't any kids or teens on that thread it's all grownass adults, and goddamn are they really fragile adults

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Pretty sure Corrin was condemned because the game they're from hadn't even come out in the west yet brah.
If Inkling had come to Smash 4 before Splatoon came out, that hate wouldn't have been applied to her and you know it.

D

Deleted member

How could :ultincineroar: and :ultisabelle: be marketing for games when Pokemon SuMo were long done by Incineroar's reveal and AC was only announced via MP4 style "Yeah, we're working on it"?

AC doesn't need Smash promotion to sell, nor does Pokemon. I highly doubt those were the reasons those two were selected.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So, from what I can gather....

A causal/recent/promotion pick doesn’t get hated as long they’re expected? Ala Inklings/Rex/Springman/Decidueye?

Well then, I guess the Smash Bubble better start predicting characters they don’t want so they can save themselves the trouble lol.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
soy.gif

I love the ****** memes that come out of it though.

D

Deleted member

A causal/recent/promotion pick doesn’t get hated as long they’re expected?

Well then, I guess the Smash Bubble better start predicting characters they don’t want so they can save themselves the trouble lol.
unnamed astral chain protags are ****ing in

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Isabelle, a marketing tactic? Is this a joke?

Isabelle's has gone on to become the mascot of the Animal Crossing franchise...

I highly doubt she was added to promote AC switch
I mean, it's possible she was added for both reasons. Heck, right after she was announced, we got an Animal Crossing switch announcement.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

A causal/recent/promotion pick doesn’t get hated as long they’re expected?

Honestly the key thing is realizing one's own demographic isn't the only one that matters. Self-awareness, and all that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well, I'm a mod for Newcomer Speculation and I can confirm this, big ones tend to get pretty heated frequently.

That's one of the reasons why I'm not too keen on supporting characters just because they are popular in Smash Bubble.
It doesn't matter because everyone here is wrong except for me tbh

D

Deleted member

If Inkling had come to Smash 4 before Splatoon came out, that hate wouldn't have been applied to her and you know it.
It's hard for me to picture how Inkling would have been received in this scenario.

My bias wants to say "Just as well as they were here in Ultimate!" but IDK. I really do like to think people would have been fine with it because Inklings are cute and they have a really heckin' fun moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
What.

What.
Can you guys stop taking my quotes out of context?

Sakurai literally stated that they left a slot for a Pokémon character and they chose for S&M and Isabelle’s trailer was clearly also advertising the upcoming AC game, just because they’re weren’t solely picked for promotions doesn’t mean it didn’t play a part in it.

Sigh...I really need to stop talking about this whole Smash Bubble vs Causal characters thing....

D

Deleted member

Listen, just want whoever you want, don't antagonise others for who they want, and stop caring about a select minority of people who are stirring ****. It's a videogame lads.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'll bet money that if she wasn't the last newcomer/op Bayonetta would've been accepted with open arms like Joker
Not that. :ultbayonetta1: was included based on the back of a white lie.

We can kind of gather that she didn't win the ballot.

Even though we'll never KNOW for sure.

You'd have to be pretty blind to think she was THAT popular.

Also she was SUPER popular in Europe, like where the game takes place in. Believable but that feels like a joke.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll bet money that if she wasn't the last newcomer/op Bayonetta would've been accepted with open arms like Joker
I don't know; if she wasn't given the Smash Ballot justification, then people would complain about her being included at all, or say that it was purely to get people to buy Bayonetta 2.

She did have the Smash Ballot to justify her inclusion, but that led to people claiming that the ballot was an elaborate excuse to include her, all of the stats given about how well she did were lies, and that (insert their favourite character here) should have obviously won instead, even years after the fact.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed.

...except for people who were calling her out with gendered insults, I doubt they'd ever be okay with it.

D

Deleted member

Listen, just want whoever you want, don't antagonise others for who they want, and stop caring about a select minority of people who are stirring ****. It's a videogame lads.
i ****ing hate these goddamn stupidass people who want super mario in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom