• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
To be fair, there was practically not a single person I’ve ever seen hating on the :ultinkling: when they got revealed in March so I think this whole “Smash fans hate causal/recent characters” is bit of an overstatement, not to say there isn’t any hardcore/Smash Bubble bias which I admit I’m suffering a bit from.

So I have a question for you, what do :ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultisabelle: all have in common that Inkling doesn’t?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

this is like, the 3rd time ive seen this joke and its starting to wear thin. They really do need to make a Development Update, asap
It's probably gonna have to wait until E3. I don't think we're gonna get another General Direct this soon when the February one showcased a lot of what Nintendo has for this year. E3 is gonna be for their heavy hitters like AC, LM3, Smash DLC, and Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Animal Crossing fans are honestly as annoying as Smash fans when they demand news
well tbh it HAS been quite a while since the last ac news, like since september iirc
whereas for smash we get news like every couple of months and they still throw a tantrum

osby

Smash Obsessed
the biggest video game franchises of all time have enough representation

now lemme tell you about this guy isaac, sure he hasn't been in a game for a decade but if we just practice some basic franchise necromancy
We shouldn't add characters into Smash just to financially support their franchise, it's soulless promotion. Unless said franchise is dead, then it's for a noble cause.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, there was practically not a single person I’ve ever seen hating on the :ultinkling: when they got revealed in March so I think this whole “Smash fans hate causal/recent characters” is bit of an overstatement.

So I have a question for you, what do :ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultisabelle: all have in common that Inkling doesn’t?
Ehhhhh the thing with Inkling is that everyone expected them. Corrin was condemned for not being K.Rool, Incineroar was condemned for not being Shadow, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Banjo and Geno while Isabelle was condemned because Smash fans assumed that every newcomer was going to be hardcore Smash fan requests alongside getting themselves over-excited because the Direct she was revealed in was delayed due to an Earthquake

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's probably gonna have to wait until E3. I don't think we're gonna get another General Direct this soon when the February one showcased a lot of what Nintendo has for this year. E3 is gonna be for their heavy hitters like AC, LM3, Smash DLC, and Pokemon.
I hope so because i dont think my mental state can last any longer
Yeah, we need news on... basically anything at this point.

Heck I’ll take a straight port of New Leaf right now!
**** man, Id take that and a HHD port right now if it meant to hold me over till they ****ing open there mouths about the game

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We shouldn't add characters into Smash just to financially support their franchise, it's soulless promotion.
to be fair

:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin: look what's now become a "staple franchise" because of soulless promotion :ultcorrin::ultlucina::ultchrom:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
well tbh it HAS been quite a while since the last ac news, like since september iirc
whereas for smash we get news like every couple of months and they still throw a tantrum
I get that but Animal Crossing fans had no concept of chilling the **** out. I expect Smash fans to go rabid when Smash isn't getting something new every month because it's all the dumbasses in every fandom together. Animal Crossing doesn't get a new game and the fans go ****ing ape**** which is jarring as **** because Animal Crossing is meant to be wholesome

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
the last "news" we got as "Animal Crossing. 2019" and I say "news" because thats as far from news as pluto is from earth

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
To be fair, there was practically not a single person I’ve ever seen hating on the :ultinkling: when they got revealed in March so I think this whole “Smash fans hate causal/recent characters” is bit of an overstatement, not to say there isn’t any hardcore/Smash Bubble bias which I admit I’m suffering a bit from.

They were all unexpected additions to the cast, which made them more interesting in the long run

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Animal Crossing doesn't get a new game and the fans go ****ing ape**** which is jarring as **** because Animal Crossing is meant to be wholesome
[insert furry fandom insult here]

I get it as well. I mean, it's basically the same formula until New Leaf really shook things up, but will that just be another formula to repeat?

D

Deleted member

Ehhhhh the thing with Inkling is that everyone expected them. Corrin was condemned for not being K.Rool, Incineroar was condemned for not being Shadow, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Banjo and Geno while Isabelle was condemned because Smash fans assumed that every newcomer was going to be hardcore Smash fan requests alongside getting themselves over-excited because the Direct she was revealed in was delayed due to an Earthquake
Pretty sure Corrin was condemned because the game they're from hadn't even come out in the west yet brah.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, there was practically not a single person I’ve ever seen hating on the :ultinkling: when they got revealed in March so I think this whole “Smash fans hate causal/recent characters” is bit of an overstatement, not to say there isn’t any hardcore bias which I admit I’m suffering a bit from

Well :ultinkling: was considered a lock for Smash 5 ever since Sm4sh DLC ended, so people already expected her
:ultisabelle: was revealed in the earthquake Direct (which people thought would be bigger because of the delay, idk why) and people thought she was a "shill pick" for some reason, :ultincineroar: was the champion of the box theory and also the last character revealed, and people thought he was a "shill pick" for some reason, and :ultcorrin: was another FE character (though he was hella unique so IDK why peeps were complaining) and also he's kinda a shill pick ngl. And iirc he was one of the last DLC characters too

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd say "not from new franchise" but that doesn't explain why people threw a fit because of :ultwiifittrainer:. And it's not "they weren't requested" because that doesn't apply to Isabelle, too.

...not seen as a necessity in online Smash forums?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Just got the My Nintendo Battlefield wallpaper for my PC. Coolio.
NOW I CAN SHOW IT TO EVERYONE ONLINE SO THEY CAN HAVE IT WITHOUT HAVING TO SHARE THEIR POINTS! /s

Bonus points that this will be playing in the background:
That's actually a pretty good remix.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
[insert furry fandom insult here]

I get it as well. I mean, it's basically the same formula until New Leaf really shook things up, but will that just be another formula to repeat?
then there was Happy Home Designer which I love to death. Imagine they put the stuff of HHD and Pocket camp on switch. You could probably do so much more stuff then you could on 3DS

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Nope, it’s because they’re all from existing franchises that just so all happen to play a part in marketing a specific title. Corrin for Fates, Isabelle for AC 2019, and Incineroar for S&M.

Nobody hated Inklings not because they were expected but because they from a brand new IP, and people enjoy seeing new series represented in Smash and even though they’re recent characters that didn’t come from the 90s or 2000s, they were voted on the Ballot anyway, they just too recent in fact.

Most thought FE and Pokemon were too massively bloated at their times so when they added Corrin and Incineroar, Smash fans just saw them as mere shill picks that were only promoting a game.

Isabelle is a different case since AC only had one character but I’m guessing it’s either because they find her “cool” or if Villager was good enough.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: As for Wii Fit Trainer? Uh, I’m pretty sure that’s because she was chosen as a Shock unless you want to argue about Wii Fit’s sale when Sakurai never mentioned that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That too but christ K.Rool fans lost their **** making me lose any respect I had, which was a lot, when that thread went ballistic
bro honestly going onto any big character support thread like the isaac one, geno one, etc etc when somebody is confirmed is the funniest ****

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Inkling wasn't hated mainly for two reasons IMO:

1. The were universally expected. Splatoon was a massive success for Nintendo (especially in their home country) and has quickly become one of their best performing IPs. Only reason they weren't in Smash Wii U via DLC was more than likely the timing of their rise to popularity. They existed in the Smash Bubble already, which helped their reception quite a lot.

2. Inklings actually had a ton of support from the core Smash crowd thanks to the unique moveset the could bring to the game. Again, people didn't talk much about them because they were expected by now. Back when they were new and the odds of them being DLC for Wii U were low, there was a lot more support and talk for them.

:ultcorrin:, :ultincineroar:, and :ultisabelle: got hate from certain crowds because they weren't already in the Smash Bubble like Inkling was. No one expected them or really talked too much about them in the hardcore speculative scene, which causes the skewed "No one really wants them!" narrative. The hardcore Smash fanbase has a really bad habit of forgetting that the game's install base is 10x larger than itself and has a variety of different types of players, all with differing tastes and expectations for characters. Nintendo does their best to cater to both sides with each installment, which means that by the time we hit the characters that are aimed at groups outside the core fandom, they take people off guard and cause divisive reactions amongst those who don't acknowledge that Nintendo looks outside of just the core Smash Bubble for character requests and preferences.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That too but christ K.Rool fans lost their **** making me lose any respect I had, which was a lot, when that thread went ballistic
I mean in fairness, I felt this way once too, but then I realized how dumb that was...especially since it was only a select few people, and those people still act that way now with other characters.

In other words, the common thread isn't K. Rool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
bro honestly going onto any big character support thread like the isaac one, geno one, etc etc when somebody is confirmed is the funniest ****
screenshot one to confirm insanity tbh

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You can call us Animal Crossing fans annoying all you want but we literaly didnt get anything of substance. Id imagine if thay did "Smash Brother Ultamate. 2019" and stay quiet for 6 months, yall would probably be impatient as well

*lays on floor face down*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder what made :roymelee: go well but what made :4corrin: go atrociously.

Melee Nostalgia? Melee Nostalgia.
From my understanding, Roy is liked more as a Smash character than as a Fire Emblem character. I'd say by the time Melee came around, the smash fandom wasn't really that big. Most people probably just saw Roy as "that cool guy with the fire".

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I have it on both Xbox and PC as well. Didn't know/care much about Resident Evil before I got into Two Best Friends Play and tuned into their Resident Evil 2 LP (their first full LP) back in early 2012, recognized the name Racoon City, recognized the name from posters at GameStop and other mentions/advertisements of Operation Raccoon City, rented it from Blockbuster (yeah, they were still around thankfully), liked it, and got the fancy special edition from GameStop shortly afterwards. Then a month or so I got RE4, and in October I got RE6, then Revelations the next year, and Rev 2 when it came out. To this day they're the only RE games I've completed (oh, and Umbrella Chronicles), but back in 2012 when I got ORC and RE4, I spent a lot of time reading the wiki, so I know more than I should.

I have almost every achievement in the game, too; missing a couple multiplayer ones and almost all the Echo Six achievements because I still never completed it. For some reason I thought I'd do a blind let's play of the Echo Six campaign and only got two or three missions in.

Then I got the game on PC in late 2015, and that was a fun time. First I bought it right before it went on sale, so I had to get a refund, wait for it to process, and then get the game with the new sale price. Then it wouldn't work because of Games For Windows Live, which I don't mind when it works fine like in Halo 2 Vista, but here it was just straight not letting me play. Had Microsoft support do some black magic to get it to work, and nowadays it seems to work fine. Though the mouse aiming is a little stiff for some reason...

Sure, it's been a while since I've played the games, so I'd like to play. Which platform do you prefer?
PC. They've never made it backwards compatible for XB1, and my 360 I can only play from my bed (it's basically a Netflix/YouTube machine now). Plus I don't have a 360 headset anymore and messaging via XBL would be much harder than doing the same via Steam's chat.

Though if those Echo Six achievements are important to you, I can totally boot up my 360 to help you get them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
From my understanding, Roy is liked more as a Smash character than as a Fire Emblem character. I'd say by the time Melee came around, the smash fandom wasn't really that big. Most people probably just saw Roy as "that cool guy with the fire".
Nah, Roy's cool in FE6.

His stats sure ain't tho :secretkpop:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
You can call us Animal Crossong fans annoying all you want but we literaly didnt get anything of substance. Id imagine if thay did "Smash Brother Ultamite. 2019" and stay quiet for 6 months, yall would probably be impatient as well
Well, that's half of the time of what happened between Inkling teaser and e3.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You can call us Animal Crossing fans annoying all you want but we literaly didnt get anything of substance. Id imagine if thay did "Smash Brother Ultamate. 2019" and stay quiet for 6 months, yall would probably be impatient as well

*lays on floor face down*
1492745703891.png

March 2018 - June 2018 was half that time and rest assured we were not going crazy bonkers. Maybe a little bonkers, but that bonkers was only speculation. We're not gonna go crazy over how we're gotta water our plants in the next installment of having the same way of watering our plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom