• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
NOW SEE.

THIS IS ACTUALLY GOOD. I LIKE THAT. FEELING A STRONG 7 TO A LIGHT 8 ON THIS ONE.

This is what I was hoping the final version of the main theme would be like. Now the OST is starting to come around.
the EDM doesnt even last long in the main theme tho. I mean, I get it, you like slower more classic Video game songs but the main theme is good in its own way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

the EDM doesnt even last long in the main theme tho. I mean, I get it, you like slower more classic Video game songs but the main theme is good in its own way.
Well, what I mean by that is mainly with what instruments/soundfonts they're using, how the composer goes about it, all the nitty-gritty stuff. It just pops up a lot in the main theme with the hi hats and all that.

Like I can go all DAY about how Uematsu went ****ing hard on Dark Messenger and the implications, why that absolute stank melody is there, etc. In short, I know Fire Emblem is sorta anime, but I ain't looking to go full-on. :p

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, SneakyLink SneakyLink has a Smashboards Minecraft realm, anyone who has the PC version can join if ya want. Here's a little image of when we got goin'.
2019-03-12_14.15.52.png

If ya have any questions ya want answered before ya join hit me up.

D

Deleted member

Playing SM64 again has made me think about one of the biggest critiques people gave to Super Mario Odyssey.

In SMO, the biggest complaint against it was that Moons didn't feel special and that the tasks required to obtain them felt trivial and too basic: Carry an object from point A to point B, do some simple platforming, do a thing on a random spot, collect things to get the thing, etcetera.

Meanwhile, Super Mario 64 is considered the gold standard for what Mario collectables should be, and people seem to think that stars are way better than moons because collecting them involved so much more, such as: Carry an object from point A to point B, do some simple platforming, do a thing on a random spot, collect things to get the thing, etcetera.

Odyssey was definitely designed to be a pick up and play game way more than a game that you play in long sessions like Zelda or previous sandbox Mario games, hence why the majority of moons don't take much effort to get. It's not inherently a bad thing, but I can definitely see why people don't like it, and why I also have my own problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One note about the Three Houses main theme though.

About the lyrics, I started looking at discussions surrounding them, and I have to agree with one conclusion I've seen: the song is likely sung from the point of view of the Goddess of the Church of Seiros, and that has major plot implications.

D

Deleted member

One note about the Three Houses main theme though.

About the lyrics, I started looking at discussions surrounding them, and I have to agree with one conclusion I've seen: the song is likely sung from the point of view of the Goddess of the Church of Seiros, and that has major plot implications.
I read that as “main meme.”

I may or may not have an obsession.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I just found a website that let's me view Pikmin 2's maps with a free-roam camera. Bye, i'm going to be gone for like an hour.

How would you rate Paper Mario's, Poochy's, Travis Touchdown's and Wonder Red's chances?

Chance:
Want:

As Billybo would pit it.
Paper Mario. Chance: 30%. Want: 90%
Poochy. Chance: 5%. Want: 5%
Travis Touchdown. Chance: ???. Want: 0%
Wonder Red. Chance: 1%. Want: 5%

Playing SM64 again has made me think about one of the biggest critiques people gave to Super Mario Odyssey.

In SMO, the biggest complaint against it was that Moons didn't feel special and that the tasks required to obtain them felt trivial and too basic: Carry an object from point A to point B, do some simple platforming, do a thing on a random spot, collect things to get the thing, etcetera.

Meanwhile, Super Mario 64 is considered the gold standard for what Mario collectables should be, and people seem to think that stars are way better than moons because collecting them involved so much more, such as: Carry an object from point A to point B, do some simple platforming, do a thing on a random spot, collect things to get the thing, etcetera.

The reason why Moons feel less rewarding than Stars is because of the ratio of how many moons there are compared to stars. An area in SM64 has about 7 stars, and an area in SMO has about 60 stars. So in SMO you're constantly collecting moons while you walk around, while in SM64 you always have to complete at-least a small objective with the addition of finding the objective.

Most of the moons are similar to the tasks required to get stars in SM64, but the tasks in SMO are a lot easier than SM64. The Penguin thing, for example, carrying the baby penguin to the mama penguin requires you to go a lot farther and pass a lot more obstacles than, say, one of the seeds in SMO. SMO's platforming segments are also shorter than SM64's platforming segments. The average time to get a star is a lot longer than the average time to get a moon.

Maybe if some of the harder moons were more rewarding. Say, they replace the harder moons with triple moons, it would make it feel more rewarding to do a task that is harder than throw your cap on obvious glowing spot.

If I am wrong on any of this, let me know. I'm not a super-huge Mario fan.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So, SneakyLink SneakyLink has a Smashboards Minecraft realm, anyone who has the PC version can join if ya want. Here's a little image of when we got goin'.
View attachment 197733
To add onto this, I may be unable to play today, but I’m always taking ID requests for those that want to join in

R O F L

Smash Ace
And you aren't going to share the site? Shame on you!
It's called noclip.website, if you've searched Nintendo in google in the past few weeks you should've heard of it.
It also has other games like Splatoon, Mario Kart DS/Wii/DD, Banjo Kazooie, BotW, and a bunch of other stuff.

also, random links aren't against the rules, right?

View attachment 197733
If it has cheats on, and I allowed to make a contraption that repeat spawns an Ender Dragon every few seconds?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's called noclip.website, if you've searched Nintendo in google in the past few weeks you should've heard of it.
It also has other games like Splatoon, Mario Kart DS/Wii/DD, Banjo Kazooie, BotW, and a bunch of other stuff.

also, random links aren't against the rules, right?

If it has cheats on, and I allowed to make a contraption that repeat spawns an Ender Dragon every few seconds?
Nah we aren’t doing that.

D

Deleted member

Rumors are circulating about a new Endgame trailer getting released today.
Eh idk if they wanna steal Captain Marvel's hype right now, they probably want the press cycle on it for at least a week or two

That said I wouldn't be complaining gimme them money shots Marvel

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Be glad that having wrong opinions isn't against Global Rules.

Okay, jokes aside, I think it works really well. I might like this better than Lost in Thoughts All Alone.

Sorry osby, but I can't agree with you. The lyrics sound like a bad fan translation and the EDM is jarring in a bad way. When I think of Fire Emblem, the last thing I think of is EDM and Pop.

Comparatively, Lost in Thoughts All Alone the tone of Fates well. Lost in Thoughts fit the somber tone of the story, wherein Corrin has to fight against their family, and you had Lost in the Waves and End of All as great finale songs spinning off of Lost in Thoughts. I'm definitely not feeling whatever that is compared to Lost in Thoughts.

I was really looking forward to this game, but the more I learn about it the less excited I am. I don't even know if I'm going to get the game at this point. Maybe if it's discounted. Otherwise I'll wait for the next remake. Hopefully it's either Binding/Blazing Blade or Genealogy/Thracia 776.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Sorry osby, but I can't agree with you. The lyrics sound like a bad fan translation and the EDM is jarring in a bad way. When I think of Fire Emblem, the last thing I think of is EDM and Pop.

Comparatively, Lost in Thoughts All Alone the tone of Fates well. Lost in Thoughts fit the somber tone of the story, wherein Corrin has to fight against their family, and you had Lost in the Waves and End of All as great finale songs spinning off of Lost in Thoughts. I'm definitely not feeling whatever that is compared to Lost in Thoughts.

I was really looking forward to this game, but the more I learn about it the less excited I am. I don't even know if I'm going to get the game at this point. Maybe if it's discounted. Otherwise I'll wait for the next remake. Hopefully it's either Binding/Blazing Blade or Genealogy/Thracia 776.
The lyrics sound normal to me. They arent hard to figure out what she is saying

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The lyrics sound like a bad fan translation .
Half of Lost in Thoughts All Alone's English lyrics didn't fit the meter of the song though. By all accounts these lyrics are better in that regard.

D

Deleted member

this might be because im used to the xcx ost in all it's engrish glory but i think the lyrics sound fine

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Never forget "a douBLE edged blade."

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ultimately, how much I like the song will depend on how it is used within the game. If it's just instrumental most of the time and then the vocals kick in during the final map or credits, I'll come around but if some blue-haired girl is constantly singing it, I probably won't be a fan.

Like for example, I have absolutely hated every single one of Devil May Cry's battle themes on first listening, but in gameplay hearing the song with the action, it makes the song so much better.

As for the 3H theme, it's on the good side, but not what I'd consider listening to during a SRPG.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Mario 64 was one of the first games a lot of people played where you were walking around in a 3D environment. I remember this taking some serious getting used to and it made the game "difficult" until you mastered it, also the n64 controller and mario 64 camera didnt help. I'd also say most of the "puzzles" were very new as there hadnt been a game like it before where as now I think you enter a mario odyssey level and anticipate where something is likely hidden because there have been many games like it now. So there is partly a nostalgia factor making mario64 seem like the tasks were tougher.The only real difference I see is that the moons are plentiful so you get like 3 or 4 moons in the course of what would have ended with 1 star in mario 64. I like both games a lot though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom