• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

thats :mewtwomelee: been :ganondorfmelee: a :sonic: thing :warioc: since :4littlemac: the :4shulk: beginning [insert the entire gimmick of smash ultimate here]
I know that. I feel like the popular AT requests or other Nintendo characters ( Maybe even some third parties ) are almost guaranteed. It exposes a part of the roster quickly.

D

Deleted member

What's so unfair about it? I'll be honest - Piranha Plant's novelty wore off on me really fast. His trailer had me laughing at it's reveal but I only found him fun to play as for like, a day. I never play him anymore.

But it's not like I've never been disappointed by a character reveal before, I just know better then to take it too personally and get emotional over it. I didn't care about Isabelle, but that doesn't mean that her reveal trailer was a personal attack on anyone who doesn't like Animal Crossing. Some people acted like it was, though.
It's unfair because you're trivializing the fact that everyone has their own desires, as if they're not allowed to feel insulted if said desires (well, the realistic ones anyway; if you wanted someone like Shrek, you were never going to get what you wanted anyway) were shafted and instead they got some random potted plant (that met the desires of literally no one) for their trouble.

Saying they're just taking a party game too seriously solely because they feel insulted in that scenario is frankly unfair of an assessment. Regardless of how you personally take things.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know that. I feel like the popular AT requests or other Nintendo characters ( Maybe even some third parties ) are almost guaranteed. It exposes a part of the roster quickly.
it doesnt expose anything, it sets the standards of the top talk of speculation

you want to know which large list of totally locks of ATs got out of AT hell?

:ultisabelle:

yep, that sure is a lot of exposed. should've seen all those 1 trophies coming

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now, I’m not in the boat of thinking that Plant not being in would give people their most wanted instead because it doesn’t honestly work like that.

Shadow and Isaac are deconfirmed either way and nothing we can do about it until next game, Geno’s fate is debatable but Banjo still got a shot.

:ultpiranha: is a harmless joke no doubt but a very very badly timed one.

The fact that they’ve prioritized an enemy that’s served nothing but a level obstacle that’s never even been playable in a single Mario spin-off while Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy etc have yet giving it full fledged playable status in one of gaming’s most highly anticipated fighting crossovers over actual fan favorites that people having requesting for a long time.

Yeah, I don’t blame people for finding it as a giant middle finger.
Smash never solely added requested characters. People have all the right to not like Piranha Plant but if you found its inclusion is insulting...well, there won't be a non-insulting newcomer roster for you.

D

Deleted member

it doesnt expose anything, it sets the standards of the top talk of speculation

you want to know which large list of totally locks of ATs got out of AT hell?

:ultisabelle:

yep, that sure is a lot of exposed. should've seen all those 1 trophies coming
You forgot :ultdarksamus:.

D

Deleted member

Is it too early to say this

I feel like Smash's future installments might have the "domino effect".

:ultridley::ultkrool:

"What about Geno, Isaac and Waluigi?

*Geno, Isaac and Waluigi*

"What about Shadow, Springman and Ashley?*

*Shadow, Springman and Ashley*

"No Takumarku nor Rex?"

*Takamarku and Rex*

Feel free to judge me. :V
Honestly, I don't see where there would be a domino effect. Ridley and King K. Rool have had MASSIVE amounts of requests for quite a while, and not to discredit the rest of the characters listed here, they weren't as big as those two.

Really the only character(s) I see Sakurai and the dev team kinda backed in a corner with would be Rex & Pyra, cause even after the Mii Costume reveal, the push really only went further.

Looking at the broader scale of things, this is probably why I've switched from being a Geno supporter to Zidane supporter, because we're now at a point where "who really is left?" We're in this transitioning point with Persona 5's Joker being the zeitgeist of it all, so I don't think we'll be seeing another character on the level of K. Rool or Ridley.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We're in this transitioning point with Persona 5's Joker being the zeitgeist of it all, so I don't think we'll be seeing another character on the level of K. Rool or Ridley.
[insert banjo/steve comment here]
[insert following banjo/steve argument here]
[insert centrist "ok but master chief" comment here]
[insert everyone giving likes to based gamer centrist]

D

Deleted member

[insert banjo/steve comment here]
[insert following banjo/steve argument here]
[insert centrist "ok but master chief" comment here]
[insert everyone giving likes to based gamer centrist]
Man. I love Banjo, but ****ing hell "Banjo in Smash" and what comes with that whole ordeal rubbed me way too many wrong ways.

We all should just become centrists is the moral of the story today, kiddos.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't see where there would be a domino effect. Ridley and King K. Rool have had MASSIVE amounts of requests for quite a while, and not to discredit the rest of the characters listed here, they weren't as big as those two.

Really the only character(s) I see Sakurai and the dev team kinda backed in a corner with would be Rex & Pyra, cause even after the Mii Costume reveal, the push really only went further.

Looking at the broader scale of things, this is probably why I've switched from being a Geno supporter to Zidane supporter, because we're now at a point where "who really is left?" We're in this transitioning point with Persona 5's Joker being the zeitgeist of it all, so I don't think we'll be seeing another character on the level of K. Rool or Ridley.
They do not have to be on the level, but people are going to want more.
People want things.

A lot of characters have a lot of popularity. Perhaps King K. Rool and Ridley were the biggest, but after that, there are some big ones too.

D

Deleted member

Lol, by the time we get a new Xenoblade character, Rex & Pyra will be outdated with the next Xenoblade protagonist getting in instead.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's unfair because you're trivializing the fact that everyone has their own desires, as if they're not allowed to feel insulted if said desires (well, the realistic ones anyway; if you wanted someone like Shrek, you were never going to get what you wanted anyway) were shafted and instead they got some random potted plant (that met the desires of literally no one) for their trouble.

Saying they're just taking a party game too seriously solely because they feel insulted in that scenario is frankly unfair of an assessment. Regardless of how you personally take things.
One of my biggest desires was to be surprised (even if I didn't end up playing PP much in the end anyway), but that's besides the point.

I don't mind that other people have different desires. I'm going to sound like a broken record here but you're let down, disappointed or bored that's fine. As I said, I wasn't interested in Isabelle in the slightest. But acting like a character inclusion is supposed to be an insult is just plain silly. I've seen far too many people assume malicious intent where there was clearly not meant to be any.

I feel a bit like a judgemental jerk when I say this, but if someone can't handle a fictional plant being included in a video game over *insert other fictional character here*, what does that say about their emotionally maturity?

LetterO

Smash Lord
Life as a Ganon player is hard.

On one hand any percent is kill percent.

On another hand you can't do anything about projectile spammers or people who can combo you and gimp you really easily.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The mere fact that only 3 out of 70 characters got upgraded out of AT status is pretty depressing tbh.:ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:

It kinda sets the standard that characters who are currently still ATs are set with their roles until they start making a few exceptions hence the three mentioned.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The mere fact that only 3 out of 70 characters got upgraded out of AT status is pretty depressing tbh.:ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:

It kinda sets the standard that characters who are currently still ATs are set with their roles until they start making a few exceptions hence the three mentioned.
I mean when you put it that way it sounds really bad, sure, but how many people were asking for Chain Chomp, Nintendog or Color TV-Game 15 to get upgraded? And how many newcomers do we get in each installment?

Although I don't think people should get their hopes too high for assist anyway. Clearly there's something about Waluigi for instance that makes Sakurai think he's not really suited to be a full-fledged fighter, but it is possible for him to change his mind on these things in the future (*cough* :ultridley:).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol, by the time we get a new Xenoblade character, Rex & Pyra will be outdated with the next Xenoblade protagonist getting in instead.
It could go two ways with this.

Either Elma or that new Xenoblade protagonist.
( I am unsure if Rex and Pyra will live the legacy of Elma. )

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

:ultcharizard: too.
Different item, but same function.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Sadly this, unless Sakurai remembers them and adds them as reps anyway. The original Xenoblade was out in Japan since 2010, and we got Shulk in Smash for Wii U & 3DS for 2014. There are certain variables to consider like there being no Xenoblade rep up until then, and Nintendo still being fresh on newcomer ideas on the 1st-Party front. Xenoblade characters are pretty likable imo, so if the next rep is from Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or what have you, I can make due with it.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's nice when you're winding down for bed and find like four straight pages of the Smash Ultimate Social thread talking about Smash Ultimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It took a second entry for her to be good. :p
Better than being worse like Little Mac.

Not surprising. People like to treat Assist Trophy status like a waiting list for fighter roster but most of them are selected to be an item for a reason.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
:ultcharizard: too.
Different item, but same function.
Yep forgot about him, technically the first character promoted to a fighter.

I mean when you put it that way it sounds really bad, sure, but how many people were asking for Chain Chomp, Nintendog or Color TV-Game 15 to get upgraded? And how many newcomers do we get in each installment?

Although I don't think people should get their hopes too high for assist anyway. Clearly there's something about Waluigi for instance that makes Sakurai think he's not really suited to be a full-fledged fighter, but it is possible for him to change his mind on these things i the futre (*cough* :ultridley:).
Not my point, I’m not saying literally every Assist Trophy needs to be on the roster but those ones you mentioned are irrelevant because they’re clearly minor characters/items that fit the AT mold perfectly.

I’m talking about characters like Isaac, Spring-Man and Takamaru who were very fit to be playable fighters on the roster but if they’re stuck to the same role as say Arcade Bunny, Hammer Bro or Dr.Kawashima, it implies they’re not good enough to be playable or considered D-tier characters when there practically are D-tier characters in the roster right now lol.

And Sakurai possibly not seeing Waluigi as a suited fighter? If he feels that way, then I’m frankly gonna call bull on that.

There’s no excuse when he made movesets for :ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultpiranha: etc, if they can be fighters so can Wah.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m talking about characters like Isaac, Spring-Man and Takamaru who were very fit to be playable fighters on the roster but if they’re stuck to the same role as say Arcade Bunny, Hammer Bro or Dr.Kawashima, it implies they’re not good enough to be playable or considered D-tier characters when there practically are D-tier characters in the roster right now lol.

And Sakurai possibly not seeing Waluigi as a suited fighter? If he feels that way, then I’m frankly gonna call bull on that.

There’s no excuse when he made movesets for :ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultpiranha: etc, if they can be fighters so can Wah.
You know nobody said being an AT means you are a D-tier character, right? And no Smash game after Melee said all fighters are all-stars?

Smash is a game, not a way to prove some characters are "good enough".

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not my point, I’m not saying literally every Assist Trophy needs to be on the roster but those ones you mentioned are irrelevant because they’re clearly minor characters/items that fit the AT mold perfectly.

Dude. Chill.

D

Deleted member

And look how well that worked for Elma.

Same thing will happen with Rex and Pyra. Their time has come and gone.
I mean, I don't really like Xenoblade X, but I do see why people would want her. However, the problem with Elma really is -- at least how I see it -- like with how Rex and Springman got "snubbed", being a victim of bad timing.

Xenoblade X was on a failed console, so really only a select amount of people would have that certain demand. And if Elma were to even show up in Smash Ultimate, at the very least, Xenoblade X would HAVE to come to Switch so that people new to her would play her game, as well. Smash is pretty much a big billboard after all. But with Monolith shooting down any hopes of a port of that game, would Nintendo really see any benefit?

Now on the flipside, would Nintendo see benefits for Xenoblade 2? Most likely, especially if they have the balls to cold open E3 2018 with Torna (even though I still agree with Scott the Woz with that being a really dumb decision). That game is one of the most successful RPGs on their platform and caused a huge insurgence in the franchise that I think, even with the Switch being successful, nobody expected. Rex and Pyra at this point are still Japan's most requested characters now that King K. Rool is now checked off, and they still rank high amongst various countries, so I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
And if you want to get technical, Chrom was also promoted, though he wasn't an Assist. :V
If we want to get technical, I guess you can count Palutena, too.

Ultimate is interesting because every first party newcomer was in previous games in some form, except Incineroar.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We can also probably throw :ultridley: and :ultpalutena: in there since the former has been a boss since Brawl and the latter also served as an NPC role in Pit's Brawl FS along with a brief cameo in the SSE.
And :ultsonic: because he was in Melee but only if you beat 20 wireframes in cruel melee. And who's got time for that.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Dude. Chill.
For what?

Didn’t know I was apparently being angry ...don’t know why you think I’m hostile when I’m only speaking my mind about this discussion.

And I never said every character should be an All-Star, that ship sailed since Melee, I just don’t want people thinking less of AT characters when it’s obvious people want those characters in the game instead of constant joke characters they’re tired of.

Whatever, I guess this is why we don’t talk Smash characters in a Smash thread lol.

Alright, I’m out before things get heated.

Night everyone.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For what?

Didn’t know I was apparently being angry ...don’t know why you think I’m hostile when I’m only speaking my mind about this discussion.

And I never said every character should be an All-Star, that ship sailed since Melee, I just don’t want people thinking less of AT characters when it’s obvious people want those characters in the game instead of constant joke characters they’re tired of.

Whatever, I guess this is why we don’t talk Smash characters in a Smash thread lol.

Alright, I’m out before things get heated.

Night everyone.
Didn't say you were angry. But the conversation's getting old. You're making a ton of leaps in logic and generalizations, and when multiple users tell you this, you double down on them instead of acknowledging them. No one's getting heated. The conversation just isn't going anywhere and it's starting to get annoying.

ATs aren't a slap in the face, lots of people actually really like the characters you don't like, chill.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

On the contrary it could be argued that Sakurai is just giving Arcade Bunny, Hammer Bro and Dr.Kawahima a lot of respect. They may not be heavily demanded fan-favorites but they're all notable in some other way. Hammer Bro is a classic Mario enemy infamous for being tricky to deal with, Arcade Bunny is brimming with personality and charm, and Dr.Kawashima was the literal face of a very successful DS title. I guess this is a glass half-empty or half-full situation.

As for what it says about their future though, I don't think it's merely a "not good enough" situation so much as it's "not quite what Sakurai was looking for". There's a lot of factors that go into character selection and popularity is just one of them, yet character supporters act like it's the end-all be-all (although many of the characters they often support are more niche then they give them credit for - let's face it, Takumaru and Isaac aren't exactly cultural icons).

Hey, I never said I knew what exactly his reasons would be. Many of those example characters you mentioned there are ones chosen specifically because they can do something really different or creative - maybe he just hasn't had the proper inspiration or motivation to add Waluigi yet. If you think about it, all Waluigi really had going was a consistent attendance record in Mario sports titles as well as some fan popularity, but the latter of which never really exploded to Ridley/K.Rool tier until this past E3. His demand has been just a tiny bit on the niche side until fairly recently.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have a fun little topic in mind so we end this conversation on a high note: Would you all be down for a color-change mode in the future? Like, say you take your Main and choose preselected color slots. You can customize them however you like. If you view this as a problem with people trying to engineer situations where their characters blend in with the background of a specific stage, fear not. Only you can see your own edit online. Whoever the player chooses will appear as that default costume slot, as to not abuse interface screw. Does this sound like a neat option to have, or are there other more appealing ideas worth exploring that haven't been done yet in the franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom