• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

And lately Marvel have been trying to push Carol Danvers, a rather...unpopular character a bit too much to no avail so far.
I actually don't get why Captain Marvel isn't that well liked. It may be because she was created to counter Superman in some way back in the day, but has probably become more than that nowadays

I'm not really a big fan of almost omnipotent characters like Superman to begin with, so her presence doesn't do anything for me personally. That said, I guess her main issue is that she came later, as a response to another character, and hasn't had much going for her for a long time.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
nobody bats an eye because its apprently ok if we women are sexist to men now.
which is dumb btw
Well nobody said that. We men simply have more flaws and are more prone to do it. I understand women being angry at the toxic virgin nerd men involved with comic books.

D

Deleted member

"I don't need a white man to criticize my movie, it wasn't made for them".
She was talking about A Wrinkle In Time, assuming we're talking about the same thing. She stated “[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

That's way different then from what you're quoting, unless at some point she said that Captain marvel wasn't made for white dudes

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I actually don't get why Captain Marvel isn't that well liked. It may be because she was created to counter Superman in some way back in the day, but has probably become more than that nowadays
Errrr. About that. The Captain Marvel amde to combat Superman isn't carol Danvers. And trust me, that's the least of Marvel's current Captain Marvel issues. You want the long version or the short version with Carol Danvers?

D

Deleted member

Errrr. About that. The Captain Marvel amde to combat Superman isn't carol Danvers. And trust me, that's the least of Marvel's current Captain Marvel issues. You want the long version or the short version with Carol Danvers?
Gimme both, just for the fun of it all.

D

Deleted member

She was talking about A Wrinkle In Time, assuming we're talking about the same thing. She stated “[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

That's way different then from what you're quoting, unless at some point she said that Captain marvel wasn't made for white dudes
I was trying to find the exact quote, but what she said just isn't right.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Okay guys, I see "Brie Larson is a sexist white-man hating bigot" thrown around this thread a lot so let's see what she has said regarding white dudes reviewing things.

In regards to "A Wrinkle in Time", she said this:

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.”

Which admittedly, is a little harsh and isn't quite how we should view criticism. After all, anyone should be able to critique. However, she then went on to clarify:

“Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie.

Seemingly implying that she really just wants to hear more about what POC have to say about the film. Understandable, but she could have said this a little more gracefully.

Now, recently, she has said this in the matter, in a final attempt of clarification:

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed 
it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

So, besides MAYBE the slight glimmer of it in that first quote, how exactly is she a sexist?

Edit: Source and source
I don’t think Brie Larson is sexist but at the same time I don’t like that she has the audacity to act as if she was the one who wrote and directed these films. She’s an actress, she isn’t who made these movies, she has a very strict limit on controlling who a movie is “made for”. If she were the director or scriptwriter, than it’d be fine, but idk maybe I’m wrong and don’t get hollywood

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel. Maybe not as much as other MCU films, but it looks fun, and I'm going into the character pretty much blind, which worked wonders on Guardians.

I TOLD YOU
TO CHANGE
THE SUBJECT!!!
Take it down a notch Goth. You can't just scream everybody into submission :laugh:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I don’t think Brie Larson is sexist but at the same time I don’t like that she has the audacity to act as if she was the one who wrote and directed these films. She’s an actress, she isn’t who made these movies, she has a very strict limit on controlling who a movie is “made for”. If she were the director or scriptwriter, than it’d be fine, but idk maybe I’m wrong and don’t get hollywood
You don't have to make something to be passionate about it.

D

Deleted member

Okay guys, I see "Brie Larson is a sexist white-man hating bigot" thrown around this thread a lot so let's see what she has said regarding white dudes reviewing things.

In regards to "A Wrinkle in Time", she said this:

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.”

Which admittedly, is a little harsh and isn't quite how we should view criticism. After all, anyone should be able to critique. However, she then went on to clarify:

“Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie.

Seemingly implying that she really just wants to hear more about what POC have to say about the film. Understandable, but she could have said this a little more gracefully.

Now, recently, she has said this in the matter, in a final attempt of clarification:

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed 
it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

So, besides MAYBE the slight glimmer of it in that first quote, how exactly is she a sexist?

Edit: Source and source
I don't think shes a sexist. I think that she comes off as quite harsh in her statements. I don't really care that much about the controversy, I was just defending some people that do.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah hopefully it grows on me. Everything else in the movie looks fine though. Really shocked at how many somewhat obscure pokemon they put in the movie. Like, who the **** cares about braviary and emolga
Braviary hasn't been seen yet, do you mean Rufflet?

Also, who doesn't care about Braviary? It's a great design.

D

Deleted member

I mean it's easy to make it look sexist when you take her words out of context and write a biased article about it.
Literally the article was just quoting her lamenting how there isn't much diversity in the film reviewing business and using her movie as an example. The article treated it as a bad thing.
how is that a bad thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What do you mean? This is stuff that's known about.
Yeah, here's the thing. Ben hearing quit a few views between fans on what constitutes "floatyness". Heck, don't even get me started on the arguments involving whether or not Erdrick is "floaty", considering the game he came from doesn't even really showcase what the weights of characters are. The point is, you say something, some other fan says another thing, and there's no factoid source to prove either one unless you've got measurements.

And that's ignoring how the character(s) would translate into the Smash and the fact that the last stats you saw could change within an update.

So, unless you've got a metric to base it off of, you're not really quite in the clear to deem whether or not this or that character is definitively "floaty" in or out of Smash yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Lok, where's the Alita example? Also, the Alien isn't the main character of the movie. Wonder Woman's controversy also came from a vocal minority.
YAnd I remember seeing at least one person whine Alita wasn't sexy enough
It was a Rotten Tomatoes review, specifically one that anyone can submit iirc
You're right! The Alien isn't the main character! But does that despite the fact that the Alien is the titular Alien? The driving force of the story? The main selling point? No. Oops, maybe you should have thought a bit harder about that one

D

Deleted member

I mean it's easy to make it look sexist when you take her words out of context and write a biased article about it.
I just saw the article's title and posted it, but know that I've read it, its not a very good source at all. Sorry.

Roberk

Smash Champion
The internet: Cannot comprehend a female Marvel lead, flame wars and sexism run rampant.

Me, an intellectual: Oh cool, a Marvel movie!

At the end of the day, I just want to enjoy a superhero movie from the best and most consistent studio in the market. It’s sad that there’s even an issue with this movie, it seems like people want conflict just to have conflict.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, here's the thing. Ben hearing quit a few views between fans on what constitutes "floatyness". Heck, don't even get me started on the arguments involving whether or not Erdrick is "floaty", considering the game he came from doesn't even really showcase what the weights of characters are. The point is, you say something, some other fan says another thing, and there's no factoid source to prove either one unless you've got measurements.

And that's ignoring how the character(s) would translate into the Smash and the fact that the last stats you saw could change within an update.

So, unless you've got a metric to base it off of, you're not really quite in the clear to deem whether or not this or that character is definitively "floaty" in or out of Smash yet.
We're talking about measurements tho :p

and of course the stats will probably change.

D

Deleted member

Literally the article was just quoting her lamenting how there isn't much diversity in the film reviewing business and using her movie as an example. The article treated it as a bad thing.
how is that a bad thing
It's not, that's what I'm saying. Seemed to me like she was being taken out of context to prove a point and make her look sexist when she really isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I don't think shes a sexist. I think that she comes off as quite harsh in her statements. I don't really care that much about the controversy, I was just defending some people that do.
This is such a non-issue. Why do white guys immediately victimize themselves the moment someone says "hey let someone else talk"?

Why does there even need to be a controversy? She wasn't even attacking white guys, she was criticizing the industry that doesn't give the same platform to minorities

D

Deleted member

It was a Rotten Tomatoes review, specifically one that anyone can submit iirc
You're right! The Alien isn't the main character! But does that despite the fact that the Alien is the titular Alien? The driving force of the story? The main selling point? No. Oops, maybe you should have thought a bit harder about that one
I guess that makes the Infinity Stones the main character of Infinity War then? The Alien is a plot device, Ripley is a character.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I would like a Power Girl movie... Because she's an adult unlike Super Girl.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The internet: Cannot comprehend a female Marvel lead, flame wars and sexism run rampant.

Me, an intellectual: Oh cool, a Marvel movie!

At the end of the day, I just want to enjoy a superhero movie from the best and most consistent studio in the market. It’s sad that there’s even an issue with this movie, it seems like people want conflict just to have conflict.
I agree. Let's just enjoy the movie because marvel does some alright ones :)
The controversy is partly intentional propoganda. Some people want conflict, others dont. Some get sucked into it. In the end youre your own master. choose. :)

D

Deleted member

This is such a non-issue. Why do white guys immediately victimize themselves the moment someone says "hey let someone else talk"?

Why does there even need to be a controversy? She wasn't even attacking white guys, she was criticizing the industry that doesn't give the same platform to minorities
You could apply your first paragraph to literally any group. Also, as for your 2nd paragraph, I know that she isn't actually calling out white guys, but the way she said it makes me understand why some people would be mad.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
You could apply your first paragraph to literally any group. Also, as for your 2nd paragraph, I know that she isn't actually calling out white guys, but the way she said it makes me understand why some people would be mad.
Word of advice: The way somebody says something or the tone they use can be easily misinterpreted in a textual format.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Well I'm sure she's sorry that she didn't perfectly word it to cater to the sensitive little feelings of white dudes who have nothing better to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom