• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I fear that I may be getting too emotional over the scenario I talked about...

But man... It sure would feel great for my soul.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Soooo, hey Smashboards friends whom I go to for real life advice because why the **** not. Hypothetical scenario.

Let's say you're about 30 years old and for the last four years have decided that dating isn't something you want to do because you actually prefer your adult life without a second person always in it and you're pretty determined that you don't ever want children.

Then, let's say an old friend from college has been reconnecting with you over the last few years from across the country, and seems to get who you are now in a way that most don't. For some reason. And you surprisingly really enjoy talking with her and whatever.

Then, let's say that that old college friend has been talking way too much about how all her friends are getting married and having kids and how she wants that too and also occasionally drops the fact that you guys hooked up a couple times and she always wondered where that would have gone and also is prone to getting thirsty for you on occasion. And you plan on being back in town in May and she wants to see you when you visit. And also probably come out and see you for a week at your place in the summer.

What, in this extremely hypothetical scenario, would you guys recommend as a course of action? Hypothetically. Because that's totally not happening, but, y'know. In case it ever does. To someone.
I guess you just have to weigh the benefits that getting into this relationship would bring against how set in your ways as a single person you are.

If the companionship/emotional support/intimacy is something you would welcome, and you're willing to sacrifice some of your solitude for that, then it's potentially worth pursuing. I'm almost 30 and got married two months ago, and it IS a change having someone in your life pervasively after years of going solo, and as an introvert, it takes some fairly big adjustments. In my case, my wife is someone I knew for a long time and had a track record of meshing well with, so it really does matter the type of person this girl is too. If she's a dramatic, easily driven to confrontation kind of person, that might drive a person whose used to peace and quiet a bit crazy. Or if she's an affectionate, emotionally demanding person, that might take some adjusting time for an independent individual.

Based on your description of her as someone who "gets you in a way most don't", then it sound like she may be the kind of woman you can work and develop a relationship with that's fulfilling for both of you. Provided the likely upheaval in your set way of life is worth it to you, the signals seem to be there that she's waiting for you to reciprocate interest.

D

Deleted member

Edit: Go to Moydow's arena.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ok.

I really need to vent my brain somewhere else.
I’m not leaving, but just taking a pause at most until tomorrow.

The scenario proposed by Staindgrey made me too emotional.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
On Metroid Prime 4:

Dark Samus is gonezo. Kensuka Tanabe, lead producer of the Metroid Prime series, has said that Dark Samus and Phazon are done with. Metroid Prime 4 will be tackling new enemies and plots.

Which probably means Sylux. They teased him in Hunters, Metroid Prime 3, and then again at the end of Federation Force, so I imagine Tanabe has some plan for him, but hasn't had the opportunity to use it yet. Here's hoping it's a good one, because Prime 1-3 set a high bar, but Other M showed how low the bar can go.
Was waiting for you to weigh in :p

Honestly, new stuff sounds amazing too. Just wouldn't turn down a chance for Dark Samus to make a villainous return in glorious HD with over a decade of game advancements, you know?

D

Deleted member

Hey Moydow Moydow can you stream matches so we don't need to spectate?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys Y’all want me to make a battle arena when I get home? because I’m at school right now and I don’t get home till 5

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm very curious to hear what the behind-the-scenes story of Anthem is. They say the game has been in development for 6 years, but I'm hedging my bet that it was moreso in development for 3-4 years, and 2 years ago they had to scrap almost everything for one reason or another, and so we're only seeing a couple years' worth of work.
Considering that that's exactly what happened with ME:A, I'd say that's a likely scenario.

I know that the full transition from Unreal and their proprietary engine for DA to Frostbite has made everything needlessly more difficult, and Anthem is the first game to graphically take full advantage of the shift. But the quality character moments that I've very much enjoyed are wedged in between schizophrenic loot shooter tropes. It's like trying to read a Mark Twain novel in a series of loosely related blog posts.

And I do enjoy the gameplay itself. The world is beautiful and flying around like Iron Man is great and I feel that the story missions have learned from Destiny in certain ways by making their objectives more interesting. But the shooting gameplay itself isn't as fulfilling or rewarding as Destiny or even ME:A, so relying on that to keep players interested in a games-as-a-service model isn't a good long-term plan. It doesn't help that the loot's designs aren't all that visually unique or interesting, either. I don't get excited about new Anthem weapons the way I did with Destiny.

But it all comes back to trying to force a square peg into a circle hole. The idea of an engaging single player story doesn't gel with a loot grind in an open world. Each story moment in Mass Effect 2 was a new and engaging experience that left a memory of that part of the game; when you bust Jack out of a space prison, when you meet Mordin for the first time and he ****ing shoots a guy, when you take Legion to an active Geth mainframe and learn wtf the Geth are, when you finally assault the ****ing Collectors base... all of those are moments. Anthem/Destiny/etc. lack moments, because the worlds in which they happened are designed to be retread and reused ad nauseam. The characters are meant to be available in a hub world that can't change too much or you can't use it as a hub world. You can't tell a meaningful and memorable story that way. It doesn't work.

That said, multiple hub world character moments have been very well written and acted and I loved them. Brin is my temporary new favorite Bioware character.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
sounds like a trap to me
love, a girl
See, that's what I'm thinking, but.

I guess you just have to weigh the benefits that getting into this relationship would bring against how set in your ways as a single person you are.

If the companionship/emotional support/intimacy is something you would welcome, and you're willing to sacrifice some of your solitude for that, then it's potentially worth pursuing. I'm almost 30 and got married two months ago, and it IS a change having someone in your life pervasively after years of going solo, and as an introvert, it takes some fairly big adjustments. In my case, my wife is someone I knew for a long time and had a track record of meshing well with, so it really does matter the type of person this girl is too. If she's a dramatic, easily driven to confrontation kind of person, that might drive a person whose used to peace and quiet a bit crazy. Or if she's an affectionate, emotionally demanding person, that might take some adjusting time for an independent individual.

Based on your description of her as someone who "gets you in a way most don't", then it sound like she may be the kind of woman you can work and develop a relationship with that's fulfilling for both of you. Provided the likely upheaval in your set way of life is worth it to you, the signals seem to be there that she's waiting for you to reciprocate interest.
...this is also what I'm thinking.

What makes this hard is there isn't much of a trial run thing we could do. She lives in Ohio with a career and a house. I live in Oregon with a career and a house. One of those has to change, and I do not want to make that change.

But the fact that I'm even debating this makes me wonder. Normally I wouldn't. I'm a very stubborn man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom