• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

im keeping it at 4 player because im lazt but anyone can do 1v1 if yall want. I made it Top one leaves to make it far and so one person isnt winning over and over. Does thst seem fair?
Oof I wish I could join, but I'm in class until like 3

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The first time I saw people more seriously suggest Waluigi was Arlo, Nathaniel Bandy, and more "casual" Smash fans saying how Waluigi was very likely going to show up in the next smash, and I saw some people sort of make fun that they don't know much on how Smash speculation and how Waluigi isn't as likely as they think he is. E3 comes, and I thought the explosion of memes was the result of this, people poking fun at how casuals legimately thought Waluigi was very likely only for him to be disconfirmed.
The distinction between casual and hardcore Smash fans is fascinating to me. Because most of a game's market is usually casual--that's where the millions of sales come from, and why it's important for games to not just be focused on the hardcore experience/audience (see Street Fighter V's lack of success at launch)--but Smash is a rare game where there's mountainous casual appeal, but still with a very dedicated hardcore audience. So you get the people that only play the game for a short while after it releases, and then maybe play it again with friends occasionally afterwards, but also the people who will play the game constantly for years and years.

I remember Arlo and a few other content creators who were only casual fans of Smash, having only played Smash 4 for a week or two before never touching it again, groaning about Ultimate when it was first revealed at E3, because they didn't appreciate all the characters being back and the heavy focus on minor changes. They wanted a bunch of new flashy characters instead. It wasn't until the August and November Directs that those people started to change their minds, and then of course after the game released, everyone enjoyed it.

Meanwhile, all the hardcore Smash fans were losing their goddamn minds at E3, because for anyone who played Smash 4 a lot since it released, it was amazing to see no one being cut and all the missing characters coming back, along with all the gameplay improvements. Plus, Daisy and Ridley were major fanservice for all the players who have been wanting them for almost two decades.

D

Deleted member

My main issue with people acting like the Mario spin-offs somehow matter less than the platformers is the fact that Mario Kart has sold more copies than literally every series in Smash Bros. besides the Mario platformers, Pokémon, the Wii series, and Final Fantasy.

Like, odds are Waluigi is more recognizable than most video game characters in general, never mind Nintendo characters. Mario characters that consistently appear in the spin-offs are just that far above most other characters.
For me, every Mario spin off needs to have these characters without refusing anyone of them:
>Mario
>Luigi
>Peach
>Daisy
>Wario
>Waluigi
>Bowser

More characters could be applied to this list as time goes on... But these are the ones who I find important in games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, the other sports games and more.

The thing with Smash is that this list is almost complete... It only lacks Waluigi.

If I was in charge, I would make the effort and put Waluigi in too, because for me he is the mising piece of the Mario representation in Smash.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The usual arena rules I see around here are
- 1v1, 3 stock, 7-8 minutes (or 2 stock and 5 minutes if it's a big arena and you don't want people hanging around for 78 years between games)
- items set to "off" and "none"
- choose stages (though I saw a few "random Battlefield" too); most people pick reasonable stages, though I did get stuff like transforming Arena Ferox here a few times so
- stage hazards off
- top one leaves, so I don't have to play every single match :p

If people are doing an arena later, ping me about it so I can join the fun. :p Or I may set one up myself. Whatever works.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
- top one leaves, so I don't have to play every single match :p
You smug *******.

I prefer bottom one leaves so I don't have to play every single match.

D

Deleted member

Hayaku! Get to page 1961, already!

On a more serious note...kon'nichiwa. My grandmother-in-law celebrates 81 years of being on Earth today. She was the one that convinced my stepmother to adopt me when I was without a family and unable to live on my own. If y'all can take a few seconds to wish her a happy birthday, I would appreciate it and relay the wishes to her. See, four years ago she lost her husband (who was a war veteran born in 1939 btw) due to sickness and now she lives by herself, and she has stayed in that very same house for 50 years to date with most family visiting rarely.

Your birthday wishes will send a message that she is never alone. She will get them from not only family and friends but also me and my friends (which would be every single one of y'all here). But if no one has read this post or if what I said did not matter to anyone, I guess I wasted ten minutes typing this message for naught. Either way, God bless you.

Sayonara :kirby:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
My main issue with people acting like the Mario spin-offs somehow matter less than the platformers is the fact that Mario Kart alone has sold more copies than literally every series in Smash Bros. besides the Mario platformers, Pokémon, the Wii series, and Final Fantasy.

Like, odds are Waluigi is more recognizable than most video game characters in general, never mind Nintendo characters. Mario characters that consistently appear in the spin-offs are just that far above most other characters.
Never said Mario spin-offs don't matter, because they are majorly successful. And because of that, the characters in them are much more widely recognized than most others. I imagine the most recognizable character for the general public that was added to Ultimate was Daisy. Mario Kart, Mario Party, and the other spin-offs are some of the most notable and successful games Nintendo has.

But we've all discussed at length in the past that raw popularity and recognizability aren't good as sole metrics for a character's inclusion, otherwise we'd have a vastly different and much less interesting roster. Which, coincidentally, is a problem the Mario spinoff games have. Mario Party and Mario Kart lately have incredibly boring rosters because they don't take advantage of the wide variety of Mario characters and creatures the series has to offer, and instead go for safe and mundane picks that are more recognizable. I think Tennis Aces has a slightly more flavorful roster, but I haven't given too much attention to that game to know for sure.

D

Deleted member

On a more serious note...kon'nichiwa. My grandmother-in-law celebrates 81 years of being on Earth today. She was the one that convinced my stepmother to adopt me when I was without a family and unable to live on my own. If y'all can take a few seconds to wish her a happy birthday, I would appreciate it and relay the wishes to her. See, four years ago she lost her husband (who was a war veteran born in 1939 btw) due to sickness and now she lives by herself, and she has stayed in that very same house for 50 years to date with most family visiting rarely.

Your birthday wishes will send a message that she is never alone. She will get them from not only family and friends but also me and my friends (which would be every single one of y'all here). But if no one has read this post or if what I said did not matter to anyone, I guess I wasted ten minutes typing this message for naught. Either way, God bless you.

Sayonara:kirby:
Happy Birthday, Haruka's Grandmother-in Law! :3

Just a penguin

Smash Master

Awww, thanks. Happy Birthday to your grandmother-in-law!

Give her some internet cake:
1551725385631.jpeg

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Pointing out something on account of a lot of warnings being handed out recently, and with us breaking in the new meat:

JDCabrera said:
faygoshill said:
long story
General example/not calling this out specifically, but chances are if your post is basic "10characters/less than 3 words/image + 1 liner," it's gonna break this rule:

4. Put effort into your posts. Please refrain from writing a post that just consists of something like "Hello, mate" or "cool bruh". This is spam and very low quality posting and will likely be warned as such.
I'm aware it's a fast thread/mods won't always get every single incident right away, but that doesn't mean "it's okay since someone else got away with it."

We don't want to stifle the nature of the thread as it was deemed necessary, but cluttering/adding literally nothing but a +1 to your post or like count ain't the purpose of the thread, even when it's slow/a news drought. If you aren't sure whether someone is crossing the line, report it/let a mod do the thing they're there for.

My god what if Scorbunny's final evo has base 120 speed

Whew lordy
Then it'll be that much sweeter using Aqua Jet/Accelerock on it.~

D

Deleted member

you are literally the most pure, wholesome person to ever grace these boards

thank you for your presence

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You know, despite mostly playing heavies (minus :ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultzelda:), I think I’m gonna pick up :ultpichu:as well. I’ve only been playing him a couple days, but I think I could do pretty well with the character.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Hope your grandmother-in-law has an excellent birthday! Best of wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom