• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think my biggest issue with this line of logic is that there's no clear line between "meme popularity" and "genuine" popularity with someone like Waluigi. For something like Shrek or Goku or Ultra Instinct Shaggy? Yeah, that's a different story, because they're ineligible characters.

But Waluigi isn't. And you could just as easily chalk Ridley's popularity up to the Too Big memes. I, personally, know not one, but three people IRL who wanted Ridley solely due to him being "Too Big" and them wanting to see how he'd end up working, none of them ever having played a Metroid game...but they knew about the Too Big memes.

I'd go as far as to say that most of Waluigi's support is absolutely genuine. People like the character. There was genuine backlash and uproar when he wasn't in Mario Kart 7...and ever since then, he's never missed a spin-off game.
The difference is that Waluigi is a spin-off character who has no real prominence within his main series, whereas Ridley is the most notable Metroid character next to Samus as her arch-nemesis. The characters have a fundamental difference in terms of identity and appeal, with the only similarity they share being that they were both excluded from Smash, therefore, memes.

Though of course it's difficult to get the objective answer without doing some sort of full-on research study. Anecdotal evidence isn't very helpful. I had a really cringey encounter with a Waluigi player in Mario Kart 8 at a Switch event a couple years ago at the mall, but I wouldn't use that to generalize all people who play/want to play Waluigi. Which is why I try to look at the characters for what they are and use that to determine why they have appeal and support.

I'd be down to see them do something more substantial with the character. I wouldn't turn down a Waluigi-focused game. I'm not a Waluigi hater or anything. I just think there's a few more characters we could add first before we add another Mario character.

D

Deleted member

I remember the hitbox of the Belmonts' whips being weird as hell for a while.

Were they fixed?

D

Deleted member

Yeah... that’s a bit unfair.

Only real downside to the move is it’s got a bit of startup. Hence why I opt for D Smash more (since it is one of the most powerful down smashes in the entire game).
Tipper d-smash gives me chills honestly

Though one of my flaws is me thinking my f-smash is fast because I've been playing Lucina so much and trying to use it to whiff punish

In one of our matches last night you were using Bowser and dairing and I kept trying to f-smash punish like an idiot lmao

D

Deleted member

Just turn into the best pkmn, (any water dwelling pokemon that would fit this current discussion)
That works too.
Maybe I can pass up as an animatronic made to promote Detective Pikachu.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I remember the hitbox of the Belmonts' whips being weird as hell for a while.

Were they fixed?
By weird, do you mean thin? If that so probably not, Vampire Killer already have crazy reach, it doesn't need huge hitboxes.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Tipper d-smash gives me chills honestly

Though one of my flaws is me thinking my f-smash is fast because I've been playing Lucina so much and trying to use it to whiff punish

In one of our matches last night you were using Bowser and dairing and I kept trying to f-smash punish like an idiot lmao
Yeah. I honestly shouldn’t use :ultbowser: D-Air as often as I had, since it’s really easy to punish.

But if anything, punish w/ :ultwolf: D Smash if you’re going for a kill or U Smash/grab if you wanna go for damage.

Pakky

Smash Hero
My god what if Scorbunny's final evo has base 120 speed

Whew lordy

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
To be honest I always saw Waluigi as this meme pick.

The first time I saw people more seriously suggest Waluigi was Arlo, Nathaniel Bandy, and more "casual" Smash fans saying how Waluigi was very likely going to show up in the next smash, and I saw some people sort of make fun that they don't know much on how Smash speculation and how Waluigi isn't as likely as they think he is, since, Waluigi doesn't have alot going to include other than spin off appearances, he would mostly be a liberty choice. E3 comes, and I thought the explosion of memes was the result of this, people poking fun at how casuals legimately thought Waluigi was very likely only for him to be disconfirmed.

I didn't think it would explode as much as it did. I know there are people who genuinely want Waluigi, but I saw the recent explosion of Waluigi more as a joke to poke fun at. I see people go back to Ridley about to whole too big meme, but that was a response from Sakurai to Ridley's support that people then used as a meme, where as with Waluigi it's the other way around, and Reggie responded to the memes of Waluigi not making it.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If I do make an arena, how may peoplw are going to join in and what rules do yall wven want?
3 stocks 7 min, battlefield, fd, smashville, town and city, Pokemon League and stadium stages allowed, all hazards off of course.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I feel as though I still haven't found my main. I do love Zelda, I've got a decent grasp of Young Link and I want to be good at Lucina/Robin/Corrin, but I haven't gotten that moment where I realize "yeah this is my main". And I still feel guilty for giving up on Daisy.

Clearly I need Jill to be added to this game.

D

Deleted member

I started thinking about Paper Mario again.

I'm extremely interested to see if the Switch gets a Paper Mario, and if so, what direction it will go in. Nintendo has actually listened to criticism lately and has been taking steps to improve the way they do things and fix problems with franchises that had noticeable dips in quality (such as Mario Party and the Mario Sports games). I wonder...Will Nintendo and IS finally listen and take Paper Mario back to what made it so beloved in the first place? Or will they continue to say "uhhh ThErE cAN't Be tWo MaYRo RpGs huehue" and make Paper Mario continue to be the weird, uninspired, needs-to-fill-a-release-gap game that it's been since Sticker Star? I suppose only time will tell.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
The thread has finally reached the 20th century, I see.

D

Deleted member

It's what I'm working on. I only really have one method of approach for each of my potential mains and I don't quite know my matchups because I haven't played much since the first week of January. It's why I regress as we play more friendlies and the other guy downloads me. @Moydow and @Shishœ did the same thing.

So I just gotta keep beating my head against a wall until I git good again. But I appreciate the compliment coming from someone who probably won 70% of our matches lol.
Honest to god I think I might just be too used to the Marcina matchup at this point due to how many of them are thrown at me :p

My main weakness that I've noticed are: Zoners, Heavy Hitters and Command Grabs.
I can't approach properly against most zoners, I can't simply outdamage other heavy hitters and command grabs catch me everytime because I shield a lot and Ridley is way too big.
Ganon is the bane of my existence even though I should know how he works because one misniput and I get punched into next week.
Yeah, same here. @Moydow is pretty much the only user here that's consistently beaten me with the characters I main. It's been great practice for a lot of the swordies though, especially :ultlucina: (he's one of the better ones I've seen).

Can't comment on @Shishœ, since I haven't faced her. But I'm really looking forward to a :ultridley: ditto w/ her one day (So I can prove who's the true cunning God of Death).
Please, how could you ever defeat Death herself? Ridley may be a God but he works for me.

D

Deleted member

I started thinking about Paper Mario again.

I'm extremely interested to see if the Switch gets a Paper Mario, and if so, what direction it will go in. Nintendo has actually listened to criticism lately and has been taking steps to improve the way they do things and fix problems with franchises that had noticeable dips in quality (such as Mario Party and the Mario Sports games). I wonder...Will Nintendo and IS finally listen and take Paper Mario back to what made it so beloved in the first place? Or will they continue to say "uhhh ThErE cAN't Be tWo MaYRo RpGs huehue" and make Paper Mario continue to be the weird, uninspired, needs-to-fill-a-release-gap game that it's been since Sticker Star? I suppose only time will tell.
I hope they change the track of the series to make it similar to the first two titles or at the very least Super Paper Mario again.

The stickers mechanic just doesn't work.

D

Deleted member

I hope they change the track of the series to make it similar to the first two titles or at the very least Super Paper Mario again.

The stickers mechanic just doesn't work.
They really need to stop shoehorning in a turn-based battle system into a game they swear isn't an RPG and actively tries to not be an RPG.

Just commit to a design philosophy. Stop using these weird compromises that don't work and only make the game feel like a cheap version of the old games.

D

Deleted member

Happy 1900 pages everyone! now that I finished my Speculation Piece I can finally chill in this thread again since I'm not so busy which is nice, This thread goes by so fast I wouldn't be surprised if we got to two thousand pages before the next DLC character is revealed. I would bet money on it in fact.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh. Oh ****.

Dammit now I need to get the PC version.

D

Deleted member

They really need to stop shoehorning in a turn-based battle system into a game they swear isn't an RPG and actively tries to not be an RPG.

Just commit to a design philosophy. Stop using these weird compromises that don't work and only make the game feel like a cheap version of the old games.
Yup.
The series needs to have a main type of gameplay, and not completely change it on every game.

If Paper Mario was born as a RPG and it worked, then keep it that way.
The Super Paper Mario style is also valid because it surprisingly worked nice too.

Stickers didn't work, even on the second attempt. Why keep working with them?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If I do make an arena, how may peoplw are going to join in and what rules do yall wven want?
I'm at work today, but I'm trying to play Smash every day for at least a few matches from now on. In case anyone ever has an arena open approximately eight hours from now on week days.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My main issue with people acting like the Mario spin-offs somehow matter less than the platformers is the fact that Mario Kart alone has sold more copies than literally every series in Smash Bros. besides the Mario platformers, Pokémon, the Wii series, and Final Fantasy.

Like, odds are Waluigi is more recognizable than most video game characters in general, never mind Nintendo characters. Mario characters that consistently appear in the spin-offs are just that far above most other characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom