• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I mean, I don't think all of Waluigi's support is insincere. Yes, he wouldn't be where he is today in the West without internet memes, but I feel like his popularity was inevitable, moreso now that Daisy is in Smash. Aside from Toad, he's pretty much the only recurring major Super Mario character who isn't in Smash yet.

His support will come flooding back in the next game. Whether or not people will take him more seriously remains to be seen, but there isn't much more Sakurai can tap into unless generic enemies are the future of Smash.
Not all of it is insincere, you're right, which is why I said "most." There are a handful of people I've seen or heard about who do have a genuine emotional connection to the character, as odd as that is.

Then there's my younger brother, who I don't think has ever played as Waluigi in any Mario game a day in his life (barely plays Mario games to begin with), who says he wants Waluigi in the game. Which is how most of Waluigi's support is, I have to imagine.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I doubt Dark Samus would as I assume Tanabe is still directing. Ridley though? It depends, they can make him Smash size but part of Metroid Prime's way of balancing Ridley as a boss is making him a big target. Though if they size him down he'd likely not have a weak point but just take damage wherever you hit him
See, and it would feel weird to me to have a Prime title without, you know, the character it's named after, so I hope he changes his mind.
*Although there is something to be said for trilogy closure*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe?

TBH I think Ridley would've been a big part of Prime 4 regardless, and I can't see DS having a role in the new game, even with her appearance in Smash. If anything, I think the abundance of new Metroid content in Ultimate will encourage Retro to expand and add more original characters rather than making the plot "Samus vs. several Ridley forms with Dark Samus as secret villain".
Let's be real, there's no way Ridley wasn't planned in Prime 4, he's incredibly iconic to the series and the Prime games already set the bar for Ridley boss fights so people would want something as fun like Meta Ridley in both 1 and 3

D

Deleted member

I never found Smash's backgrounds to be distracting, but people have different irritations.
Shower Thought: Since Prime 4 is restarting, any chance that the new Smash popularity of Ridley and Dark Samus influences it's development? We've seen Smash influence their home series before, so I'm curious.
Maybe it might impact Ridley, but I don't see it impacting Dark Samus, since well, she's dead.

Alright, I'm off to celebrate me being 20 years old. Later folks!

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I hadn't listened to that yet, and now that I have, yeah that's fair.

I would totally be okay with the idea of Joker's stage having nothing but Q2 music at this point, TBH.
I would totally be okay if it only had Our Strenght. Okay, jokes aside, Atsushi Kitajoh has great works in both Q titles and remixes, people should give him more credit.

Btw, If Waluigi ever gets in, there will be "why he's not a Wario character?" people and I kinda hate that.

Ok so the first thing you need to do is carve out your A button, you won't be needing that
First of all, how dare you.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Your Zelda is good, I will admit that.

But once I got a good idea of what you were doing, I just do what I do best: bait and punish.
Although I do still need a bit more work on my :ultzelda:.
It's what I'm working on. I only really have one method of approach for each of my potential mains and I don't quite know my matchups because I haven't played much since the first week of January. It's why I regress as we play more friendlies and the other guy downloads me. Moydow Moydow and @Shishœ did the same thing.

So I just gotta keep beating my head against a wall until I git good again. But I appreciate the compliment coming from someone who probably won 70% of our matches lol.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I mean, if they don't bring back the titular character, where does Prime go from here? I've yet to be sold on Sylux

D

Deleted member

I can see Joker coming with more songs than Cloud with ease.

The question relies on wether or not the songs will feature the lyrics, taking in mind the Bayonetta and MGS songs we have.

D

Deleted member

Let's be real, there's no way Ridley wasn't planned in Prime 4, he's incredibly iconic to the series and the Prime games already set the bar for Ridley boss fights so people would want something as fun like Meta Ridley in both 1 and 3
I recently watched Normal Boots' show Madness where they hold tournaments to debate and vote for the best of a given topic, and this season was Game Cube games. Metroid Prime went up against RE4, and I think I remember one of guys on the show (I wanna say it was Space Hamster?) saying the Prime 1 Ridley fight was boring and kind of annoying with how much he flies around. I'm curious to see what others think of that fight, as I just played it again last night while finishing up my Prime 1 Randomizer and I think it's a really fun and well designed boss fight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not all of it is insincere, you're right, which is why I said "most." There are a handful of people I've seen or heard about who do have a genuine emotional connection to the character, as odd as that is.

Then there's my younger brother, who I don't think has ever played as Waluigi in any Mario game a day in his life (barely plays Mario games to begin with), who says he wants Waluigi in the game. Which is how most of Waluigi's support is, I have to imagine.
I think my biggest issue with this line of logic is that there's no clear line between "meme popularity" and "genuine" popularity with someone like Waluigi. For something like Shrek or Goku or Ultra Instinct Shaggy? Yeah, that's a different story, because they're ineligible characters.

But Waluigi isn't. And you could just as easily chalk Ridley's popularity up to the Too Big memes. I, personally, know not one, but three people IRL who wanted Ridley solely due to him being "Too Big" and them wanting to see how he'd end up working, none of them ever having played a Metroid game...but they knew about the Too Big memes.

I'd go as far as to say that most of Waluigi's support is absolutely genuine. People like the character. There was genuine backlash and uproar when he wasn't in Mario Kart 7...and ever since then, he's never missed a spin-off game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would totally be okay if it only had Our Strenght.

Okay, jokes aside, Atsushi Kitajoh has great works in both Q titles and remixes, people should give him more credit.
If Waluigi ever gets in, there will be "why he's not a Wario character?" people and I kinda hate that.

First of all, how dare you.
hey just cuz you're a mod doesn't mean you can double post

D

Deleted member

I mean, if they don't bring back the titular character, where does Prime go from here? I've yet to be sold on Sylux
DKC2 and 3 don't have Donkey Kong outside of the ending.

Wouldn't be that weird to not see Dark Samus if you ask me.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ok so the first thing you need to do is carve out your A button, you won't be needing that
And then put a bigger A button on there because you'll definitely be needing that.

D

Deleted member

Mario characters?

*Crab Rave* Geno is gone *Crab rave*

D

Deleted member

I think my biggest issue with this line of logic is that there's no clear line between "meme popularity" and "genuine" popularity with someone like Waluigi. For something like Shrek or Goku or Ultra Instinct Shaggy? Yeah, that's a different story, because they're ineligible characters.

But Waluigi isn't. And you could just as easily chock Ridley's popularity up to the Too Big memes. I, personally, know not one, but three people IRL who wanted Ridley solely due to him being "Too Big" and them wanting to see how he'd end up working, none of them ever having played a Metroid game...but they knew about the Too Big memes.

I'd go as far as to say that most of Waluigi's support is absolutely genuine. People like the character. There was genuine backlash and uproar when he wasn't in Mario Kart 7...and ever since then, he's never missed a spin-off game.
In my case, having Mario and Luigi alongside Wario and Waluigi just feels like the right thing.

Having Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Wario without him feels incomplete.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do think Waluigi is the closest thing to being "the next Ridley," with both being highly-requested, very-purple lanky characters whose demand has been addressed by Nintendo, with a copious amount of memes and detractors to boot. The fact that Waluigi's dismissal made headlines around the web is a testament to this. Ridley was, of course, probably a bigger deal due to how many years of rejection he had, but Waluigi is absolutely analogous.

Isaac, however, is absolutely not analogous to K. Rool. K. Rool has always been a top tier request since the post-Brawl era. Isaac was at best a tier under him in requests, and was never an absolute top tier request like K. Rool was. Instead he was about on par with Little Mac post-Brawl, and Shulk during Smash 4 speculation.

Comparing Waluigi to Ridley makes sense and has tangible parallels. Comparing Isaac to K. Rool is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Ehh... I still don't think purple dragon and purple man go together hand-in-hand.

Ridley caused flame wars all over the internet because both sides could present reasonable arguments. If there are Waluigi detractors lurking around, I can't imagine what their argument would be. PP is a character, so the importance of Waluigi in the series shouldn't be an issue. Lack of moveset potential is really subjective, and we've already seen Sakurai work with less. Size and shape? Since when was that ever an issue? He's a human with a height close to Rosalina's.

Aside from sharing a color, being meme material, and being rejected multiple times (something that applies to dozens of characters), I can't find many similarities between the two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seeing as how the "Metroid Prime" came about as a result of intense Phazon mutation, they could simply bring in a new Metroid Prime that's brought about by different means. Perhaps the Space Pirates are trying to engineer their own after failing to control the one they found on Talon IV? Lots of different ways you could go with it.

D

Deleted member

Shower Thought: Since Prime 4 is restarting, any chance that the new Smash popularity of Ridley and Dark Samus influences it's development? We've seen Smash influence their home series before, so I'm curious.
Ridley was gonna be in anyway, no doubt about it. Dark Samus I don’t think is gonna have any plot relevance at least. Prime 3 wrapped up the phazon story arc and set up for the next one so it would be weird if Dark Samus came back. Most I can see her getting is like, a secret boss fight or something I guess.

D

Deleted member

And then put a bigger A button on there because you'll definitely be needing that.
bro just neutral-b lol i heard it works every time in all situations ever

seriously the amount of zeldas online who just nayru all the time even if it's not working is... yeesh.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It's what I'm working on. I only really have one method of approach for each of my potential mains and I don't quite know my matchups because I haven't played much since the first week of January. It's why I regress as we play more friendlies and the other guy downloads me. Moydow Moydow and @Shishœ did the same thing.

So I just gotta keep beating my head against a wall until I git good again. But I appreciate the compliment coming from someone who probably won 70% of our matches lol.
Yeah, same here. Moydow Moydow is pretty much the only user here that's consistently beaten me with the characters I main. It's been great practice for a lot of the swordies though, especially :ultlucina: (he's one of the better ones I've seen).

Can't comment on @Shishœ, since I haven't faced her. But I'm really looking forward to a :ultridley: ditto w/ her one day (So I can prove who's the true cunning God of Death).

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Yeah, same here. Moydow Moydow is pretty much the only user here that's consistently beaten me with the characters I main. It's been great practice for a lot of the swordies though, especially :ultlucina: (he's one of the better ones I've seen).

Can't comment on @Shishœ, since I haven't faced her. But I'm really looking forward to a :ultridley: ditto w/ her one day (So I can prove who's the true cunning God of Death).
That reminds me. I ought to battle you in the losers bracket.

Pakky

Smash Hero
1551721593544.png

Oh its going to pour hope you all get lucky with all the rabbit feet that are going to fall upon you.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi actually made headlines with his assist status. Heck, Reggie himself responded to the uproar multiple times. Waluigi's everywhere, heck, I would say he's even more of a popular request than Ridley ever was just by Ult. Speculation alone. Also, keep in mind that Waluigi is a very well known Mario character, so that automatically puts him on the board.

On the flipside, I am inclined to agree that people vastly oversell Isaac's popularity. He's never going to hit K. Rool levels, and I can see Dee and Shadow passing him up in terms in popular requests by Smash 6.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Seeing as how the "Metroid Prime" came about as a result of intense Phazon mutation, they could simply bring in a new Metroid Prime that's brought about by different means. Perhaps the Space Pirates are trying to engineer their own after failing to control the one they found on Talon IV? Lots of different ways you could go with it.
That's the thing though. The Phazon/Phaze/Dark Samus storyline was ended, so either they'd have to bring that back in some capacity, or else the series title doesn't really make sense anymore right?

I mean, I'm well aware that keeping the marketable brand sub-series name makes financial sense for Nintendo regardless of the actual story, but I'm just hoping there's something to justify being a fourth chapter. Unless they plan to do a Star Wars and have a new trilogy that's tied to it but has its own arc?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ehh... I still don't think purple dragon and purple man go together hand-in-hand.

Ridley caused flame wars all over the internet because both sides could present reasonable arguments. If there are Waluigi detractors lurking around, I can't imagine what their argument would be. PP is a character, so the importance of Waluigi in the series shouldn't be an issue. Lack of moveset potential is really subjective, and we've already seen Sakurai work with less. Size and shape? Since when was that ever an issue? He's a human with a height close to Rosalina's.

Aside from sharing a color, being meme material, and being rejected multiple times (something that applies to dozens of characters), I can't find many similarities between the two.
Oh, don't get me wrong. "Moveset potential" definitely isn't Waluigi's issue, but he does have detractors. Namely, the people who go on and on about pretending to care about Sakurai's feelings when he was "attacked" by "legions of Waluigi fans," which amounted to literally one guy and his friend tweeting a Waluigi-themed 9/11 meme at Sakurai. Those two guys ended up becoming the scapegoats needed to discredit the Waluigi fanbase at large.

People love to pretend to care about something when they can pretend to be the better person because of it. If people already didn't like Waluigi, this was the fuel they needed to "claim the moral high ground." I couldn't tell you how many times I saw drivel like "I hope Waluigi never gets in since his fanbase is clearly full of delinquents" and things like that. It's funny, too, because they would say nothing about the Rayman fanbase, despite one guy on Smashboards literally threatening to kill Artsy Omni because of the Rayman hoax. But they didn't care because it wasn't highly publicized, so they gained nothing from pretending to care for the well-being of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom