• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
and are you really paying attention to the music when watching a VOD or stream? lmfao
As someone who reviews film/tv/game music on a regular basis... yes. I always notice the background music in things.
And it's sad to me to narrow down hundreds of great tracks spanning decades and genres and consoles to the same handful every match.

I get what you're saying, though, about it being in front of a crowd and with money on the line.

I suppose it just never strikes me personally as fun being part of the competitive community because of how much needs to be excised from the game in order for it to be "fair".

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
god why is ridley's down smash sO SCARY AGH

...its too big
'Eeeeyyyyyyyyy.

No but really when I played PsySmasher the other day I think 50% of his Ridley kills were his dsmash.

Heh... it's got a lot of range but's it's really slow on startup.

So don't roll. Shield.

I don't think I have to remind you of how many times you rolled into my D Smash yesterday.
Like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Everyone has made the
"Top level play isn't the same as casual play" argument Several times now.

So let's ask: if you could put any song on any stage, what would you play a Major's finale to?

*Hears radio-tuning sound
"Ah yes, my jam
Brinstair Remix every day.

D

Deleted member

So let's ask: if you could put any song on any stage, what would you play a Major's finale to?

"Ah yes, my jam
This, assuming Joker brings it with him. Sakurai please. You too, Atlus; don't be weird like Square. Let Joker bring some jams.

D

Deleted member

This, assuming Joker brings it with him. Sakurai please. You too, Atlus; don't be weird like Square. Let Joker bring some jams.
Seeing what happened with the MGS songs, I don’t know if we will get the Persona songs with lyrics.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I found this comparison on Twitter. Thought I'd share my thoughts.

View attachment 195983

Personally, I think neither work as "the new Ridley" or "the new K. Rool".

Ridley was a hot topic for debate over the years, as many people questioned whether or not a character of his size and build could actually work in a game like Smash. Neither Waluigi or Isaac have that same level of questioning. No one is denying that either could work in Smash, and the only reasonable complication unique to only them that they could face is a lack of moveset potential, something Sakurai's demonstrated time and time again that he can overcome this if he really wants to.

K. Rool is less of a long shot, but it's still not a solid comparison for either Waluigi or Isaac. Donkey Kong (the franchise) is an extremely iconic property, and many felt as if it was long overdue for a third character. Super Mario is also iconic, but no one is complaining about underrepresentation (if anything, people think it's overrepped). Unless I'm missing another variable here, Waluigi supporters have no other incentive to specifically push for him aside from getting someone they like in Smash. Now Golden Sun is a series that people would love to see get more representation, but it's far from iconic. Unlike K. Rool whose support was far more broad, Isaac supporters are mostly limited to those who are familiar with his series and those who are rooting for another entry. He lacks name recognition, and I feel like that holds him back quite a bit more than K. Rool.
Ridley was requested because most of the people who wanted him were Metroid fans who genuinely liked him as a character and wanted more Metroid. Most of the people who want Waluigi just want it because they think it's a hilarious meme. In a year or two, it'll die out, as it's already died down quite a bit.

Isaac's a different story. He's apparently legitimately popular, but King K. Rool was from some incredibly popular and influential games from the 90's, while Golden Sun is a more niche JRPG, so placing his popularity on the level of K. Rool doesn't add up.

"Ah yes, my jam
Extremely underappreciated.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

"Ah yes, my jam
Say what you want, but it's certainly catchy.

D

Deleted member

Heh... it's got a lot of range but's it's really slow on startup.

So don't roll. Shield.

I don't think I have to remind you of how many times you rolled into my D Smash yesterday.
Yeah I roll waaaay too much, it's a habit I'm working on breaking

D

Deleted member

Whatever the **** they renamed Heart of Fire to is my pick
It sounds so goddamn climactic just when it starts out and while I prefer Aria's version of the actual Heart of Fire segment due to the chorus, I've already stopped caring due to the beginning of the song and the hype of the match
3BBE4A68-DD60-4C75-91B9-EBB5D8A4CE17.jpeg

god why is ridley's down smash sO SCARY AGH

...its too big
Shield, move has a lot of startup for you to see.

D

Deleted member

Seeing what happened with the MGS songs, I don’t know if we will get the Persona songs with lyrics.
Eh, worst case scenario, I'll just mute the game and play some P5 OST from my speakers when I play.

I don't want to do that, but I'll do what I have to to listen to Rivers in the Desert while I play Joker in Smash Bros., dang it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Low key if Meltan can fuse with Pokémon you know its face is going to be a crest on their chests.

D

Deleted member

Eh, worst case scenario, I'll just mute the game and play some P5 OST from my speakers when I play.

I don't want to do that, but I'll do what I have to to listen to Rivers in the Desert while I play Joker in Smash Bros., dang it.
I can see many songs added in Smash.
I’m just not sure if they would have lyrics.

D

Deleted member

I hope they do, P5's vocal tracks are good as hell
Hey, I won our first match. That makes my Zelda scary.

Right?
lol i took one game off his ridley in our first match iirc with my wolf and i was like "this isn't too bad"
i was wrong
so, so wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, I thought you were taking a break. You doing okay?
I came back late last night since I realized I'd probably be worse off if I closed myself off, you know? That and literally no one I knew IRL was free. :p Still hurts, but I'm getting better.

D

Deleted member

Sonic brought a bunch with him, so I don't think it's impossible.

TBH I really want Invitation to Freedom as well. I think...gosh, I can't believe I'm about to say this: I think I like that battle theme more than Last Surprise.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
honestly psy's ridley is waaay too scary lol
Eh... I'm just really good at baiting and punishing people.
And for characters like :ultridley::ultbowser:, that's not something you wanna be fighting against.

Hence why a lot of characters w/ counters get punished hard when they try to use it against me.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I came back late last night since I realized I'd probably be worse off if I closed myself off, you know? That and literally no one I knew IRL was free. :p Still hurts, but I'm getting better.
I remember when my lifelong dog died I just kind of stayed in my old bedroom at my parents' house for a couple days. I don't know why I wanted to, I just did. Grief is never really a copy and paste sort of thing.

Hope you feel better soon.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Shower Thought: Since Prime 4 is restarting, any chance that the new Smash popularity of Ridley and Dark Samus influences it's development? We've seen Smash influence their home series before, so I'm curious.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ridley was requested because most of the people who wanted him were Metroid fans who genuinely liked him as a character and wanted more Metroid. Most of the people who want Waluigi just want it because they think it's a hilarious meme. In a year or two, it'll die out, as it's already died down quite a bit.
I mean, I don't think all of Waluigi's support is insincere. Yes, he wouldn't be where he is today in the West without internet memes, but I feel like his popularity was inevitable, moreso now that Daisy is in Smash. Aside from Toad, he's pretty much the only recurring major Super Mario character who isn't in Smash yet.

His support will come flooding back in the next game. Whether or not people will take him more seriously remains to be seen, but there isn't much more Sakurai can tap into unless generic enemies are the future of Smash.

D

Deleted member

I can see why people would take issue with distracting backgrounds. But I have no idea how Ultimate’s FD isn’t considered the most distracting. I have no idea what’s going on with it while playing the match. Actually thought Smash 4’s was much less distracting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

"Ah yes, my jam
If Elma becomes DLC, my pick would go without saying

The wind blows hard in December
The last fight, do you remember...?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sonic brought a bunch with him, so I don't think it's impossible.

TBH I really want Invitation to Freedom as well. I think...gosh, I can't believe I'm about to say this: I think I like that battle theme more than Last Surprise.
I mean, Pull the Trigger is better but same.

D

Deleted member

Shower Thought: Since Prime 4 is restarting, any chance that the new Smash popularity of Ridley and Dark Samus influences it's development? We've seen Smash influence their home series before, so I'm curious.
DS is kinda dead, so they'd have to revive her again to bring her back.

Ridley was probably gonna be in it no matter what, though. It's pretty rare for Ridley not to appear in a Metroid, I can only think of a few where he isn't a boss of some kind.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I found this comparison on Twitter. Thought I'd share my thoughts.

View attachment 195983

Personally, I think neither work as "the new Ridley" or "the new K. Rool".

Ridley was a hot topic for debate over the years, as many people questioned whether or not a character of his size and build could actually work in a game like Smash. Neither Waluigi or Isaac have that same level of questioning. No one is denying that either could work in Smash, and the only reasonable complication unique to only them that they could face is a lack of moveset potential, something Sakurai's demonstrated time and time again that he can overcome if he really wants to.

K. Rool is less of a long shot, but it's still not a solid comparison for either Waluigi or Isaac. Donkey Kong (the franchise) is an extremely iconic property, and many felt as if it was long overdue for a third character. Super Mario is also iconic, but no one is complaining about underrepresentation (if anything, people think it's overrepped). Unless I'm missing another variable here, Waluigi supporters have no other incentive to specifically push for him aside from getting someone they like in Smash. Now Golden Sun is a series that people would love to see get more representation, but it's far from iconic. Unlike K. Rool whose support was far more broad, Isaac supporters are mostly limited to those who are familiar with his series and those who are rooting for another entry. He lacks name recognition, and I feel like that holds him back quite a bit more than K. Rool.
I do think Waluigi is the closest thing to being "the next Ridley," with both being highly-requested, very-purple lanky characters whose demand has been addressed by Nintendo, with a copious amount of memes and detractors to boot. The fact that Waluigi's dismissal made headlines around the web is a testament to this. Ridley was, of course, probably a bigger deal due to how many years of rejection he had, but Waluigi is absolutely analogous.

Isaac, however, is absolutely not analogous to K. Rool. K. Rool has always been a top tier request since the post-Brawl era. Isaac was at best a tier under him in requests, and was never an absolute top tier request like K. Rool was. Instead he was about on par with Little Mac post-Brawl, and Shulk during Smash 4 speculation.

Comparing Waluigi to Ridley makes sense and has tangible parallels. Comparing Isaac to K. Rool is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I doubt Dark Samus would as I assume Tanabe is still directing. Ridley though? It depends, they can make him Smash size but part of Metroid Prime's way of balancing Ridley as a boss is making him a big target. Though if they size him down he'd likely not have a weak point but just take damage wherever you hit him

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Glad to hear you're getting better. Went through the same thing with the family dog of 15 years a couple weeks ago. Time is a healer of all wounds :)

D

Deleted member

I mean, I don't think all of Waluigi's support is insincere. Yes, he wouldn't be where he is today in the West without internet memes, but I feel like his popularity was inevitable, moreso now that Daisy is in Smash. Aside from Toad, he's pretty much the only recurring major Super Mario character who isn't in Smash yet.

His support will come flooding back in the next game. Whether or not people will take him more seriously remains to be seen, but there isn't much more Sakurai can tap into unless generic enemies are the future of Smash.
Being honest, I am interested on Waluigi getting in Smash only because for some reason I just find it as the right way to complete the Mario representation.

We have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Rosalina and Daisy... And I just feel like these will be completed with Waluigi's inclussion.

Seeing Mario with Luigi but Wario without Waluigi feels weird.

D

Deleted member

I mean, Pull the Trigger is better but same.
Okay, I hadn't listened to that yet, and now that I have, yeah that's fair.

I would totally be okay with the idea of Joker's stage having nothing but Q2 music at this point, TBH.

D

Deleted member

Glad to hear that. Losing a pet you’ve had for such a long-time really does hurt.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe?

TBH I think Ridley would've been a big part of Prime 4 regardless, and I can't see DS having a role in the new game, even with her appearance in Smash. If anything, I think the abundance of new Metroid content in Ultimate will encourage Retro to expand and add more original characters rather than making the plot "Samus vs. several Ridley forms with Dark Samus as secret villain".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom