• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
why are people rallying to the streets saying melee's dead

it's not even close to dead yet

this is just a flesh wound

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>jojo clearly wins the poll for the next fighter for arcsys to make
>still no new annoucement yet

1496473662359.jpg

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
https://twitter.com/MVG_Mew2King/status/1100588995644403712

Mew2King...the hero we need, not the one we deserve.
M2K might possibly be my favorite top player at the moment.
Good riddance, I know people can play whatever game they want and how they play it but geez...

Melee needed to die.
1) It's not dead, the Melee scene is still active and will keep it alive with or without Evo.
2) Why does it need to die exactly? It's old but as long as people enjoy it I don't see the issue.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Armada retired, Plup is taking a break, and Mew2King hasn't played since August apparently. No one can seem to stop Hungrybox, apparently, so he's just dominating the competitive scene. So yeah, things are slowing down, to some extent.

Meanwhile, Ultimate is new and is closer to Melee than any other Smash game, with way more content and balance, so it's way more exciting and popular. All the big Melee names are playing it, and many seem to be planning to stay there. Ultimate is looking to be the game that finally unites the Smash fanbase.
I suppose that's been my thoughts on Melee for awhile, the game can't really change much more, it seems like everything has been discovered, everything has been done, and it seems like very little new life is pumping into it. Can Melee grow or change anymore in it's current state? Or has it reached a point where that is extremely difficult to accomplish?

As someone who doesn't follow the competitive scene as much as others here I can only speak of what it looks like from the outside perspective but I could be entirely wrong about that. The last few times I watched a Melee tournment I couldn't help but feel that all of it was beginning to look all the same: the same handful of characters, the same processes, everything just began to look a like, and I had trouble telling one match I just watched from the other.

Just as I said, an outsider's perspective but it is an important issue that I think all games eventually run into.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay, but here's the thing.

Granblue has the power of money from giant whales. Unless you're at that level, Arc Sys aint giving you a chance.

now Platinum on the other hand...
platinum's doing stand battles: the rpg right now tho

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, scratch what I said.

Brawl is the best, because Ice Climbers can still wobble and chain grab, it has more stuff than Melee, and I'm a filthy casual.

Melee still gets bonus points for its Break the Targets and having Young Link and Pichu, however.

This is all ignoring Ultimate which is obviously the actual best Smash, minus Melee's Break the Targets as well as a new Stage Builder and Home Run Contest, and 64's Board the Platforms and Metal Cavern stage (and Sector Z as well because I prefer it over Corneria).

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
i have my bets on P4AU
As much as I like the characters introduced in Ultimax compared to Arena, I will be really annoyed if they made an entirely separate fate just for Ultimax. Especially since we have UNIST and Blazblue Central Fiction characters in the game already.

I'm not sure what franchise that Arc System Works has worked with that would be based around the colour light blue, but I have my hopes:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/battles634/images/a/a3/Kenshiro_2.jpg/

Put Fist of the North Star in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, you cowards! (I know it will never happen, but it would be great if it did)
OK... I know it ain't ever gonna happen but...
smartselectimage_2017-07-10-16-33-07_result-e1510943780529.jpg

This will cause a lot of people to completely lose their ****.

D

Deleted member

I suppose that's been my thoughts on Melee for awhile, the game can't really change much more, it seems like everything has been discovered, everything has been done, and it seems like very little new life is pumping into it. Can Melee grow or change anymore in it's current state? Or has it reached a point where that is extremely difficult to accomplish?

As someone who doesn't follow the competitive scene as much as others here I can only speak of what it looks like from the outside perspective but I could be entirely wrong about that. The last few times I watched a Melee tournment I couldn't help but feel that all of it was beginning to look all look the same, the same handful of characters, the same processes, everything just began to look a like.

Just as I said, an outsider's perspective but it is an important issue that I think all games eventually run into.
You're right, it's mostly a solved game at this point. There's no new blood coming into the scene on a national/international level since, as with any fighting game, it's harder to get into the longer you wait, and top 8 is usually a combination of the same players every time save for a few oddballs who have also been playing forever.
Plus Nintendo seemed to really catch lightning in a bottle with Ultimate, since both Melee and Smash 4 players alike are enjoying it a lot. I don't think Melee's going to die, again it probably never will, but it might take a backseat in the competitive scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
eh, im not iffy on break the targets

unless its melee and we get 70+ stages for specific character traits, i dont want it

now adventure mode, i **** with

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I can't imagine a timeline where Competituve Melee dies in its entirety. It's already established itself as a cult classic and will always hold a niche following.

At the very least it'll forever be immortilized by Fox memes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Went for some Exercise and got my thoughts straight here they are:

Ultimate is the better game but Melee shouldn't have been left out, Sure Melee is old and Ultimate is new but Melee still has a ton of fans and people who still play it to this day. Both should've been in but it's understandable that they wanted to focus on one Smash as EVO has limited slots and Ultimate needed the push more than Melee did. That said just cause Melee didn't make it into EVO this year does not mean it's dead far from it, it's still going strong and will continue to go strong until further notice. PPMD might come back this year which is a massive move for Melee's scene and if such does happen the game will prove to still be alive.

Both should've been in but Ultimate needed it more, Non-the-less this isn't going to kill Melee.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
platinum's doing stand battles: the rpg right now tho
If you're referring to Granblue Fantasy: Relink, no they're not.

Cygames and Platinum's contract expired and they didn't renew it, so now Granblue Relink is no longer related to Platinum.

To my knowledge, it's not affecting the actually development of the game (apparently Platinum finished helping w/ their portion), but it's no longer affiliated w/ Platinum.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Cygames and Platinum's contract expired and they didn't renew it, so now Granblue Relink is no longer related to Platinum.

To my knowledge, it's not affecting the actually development of the game (apparently Platinum finished helping w/ their portion), but it's no longer affiliated w/ Platinum.
the **** are you talkin about

Roberk

Smash Champion

He’s referring to Astral Chain.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
maple doughnut and sprinkle glazed. I prefer the maple. tastes like a pancake

this is me trying to not talk about melee im really doing my best here

D

Deleted member

Melee not at EVO, huh? I expected to happen sooner or later, but dang. Feels weird, but at the same time, two Smash games every year always felt like another game could've gotten in. Look at it this way, guys.

Melee isn't Marvel, where EVO's grassroots were LITERALLY Marvel. No Marvel still is damn sad. Honestly, nothing much was lost, as Melee players, Ultimate players, we're all coming together in Ultimate.

Though, I do have a message towards one specific player, Salem.

Oops, sorry Smashboard Mods. Flanked Salem, won't do that again. :denzel:

D

Deleted member

maple doughnut and sprinkle glazed. I prefer the maple. tastes like a pancake
I like a lot of kind of doughnuts, but my favorite type of doughnuts are cream filled ones.
( Boston Cream, the sugar sparkled ones with vanilla cream, etc. )

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like the pumpkin spice flavored donuts you can get only during autumn.

I don't like that you can only get them during autumn.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like the pumpkin spice flavored donuts you can get only during autumn.

I don't like that you can only get them during autumn.
thats what makes them unique tho

and profitable for companies

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The best doughnut is either Boston cream, pink frosted with sprinkles (sometimes you can't beat the classics), or Krispy Kreme glazed (You have not lived, till you've had a Krispy Kreme doughnut... Mmmmm)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so you wont use contractions but you will spell doughnut wrong

why are they called that

they arent nuts
I'm more off-put by the fact that he capitalized The like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom