• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I liked Drago Bludvist. I enjoy bombastic villains who still manage to be entirely menacing and successful antagonists. I adore HTTYD 2 about as much as the first and there's not a single element from the film that I thought was remotely weak.

That said it would've been nice to see Drago's character fleshed out more, especially considering the writers originally planned to have him play a major part in the 3rd movie. Instead they later just had him put on a bus, as TV Tropes puts it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I liked Drago Bludvist. I enjoy bombastic villains who still manage to be entirely menacing and successful antagonists. I adore HTTYD 2 about as much as the first and there's not a single element from the film that I thought was remotely weak.

That said it would've been nice to see Drago's character fleshed out more, especially considering the writers originally planned to have him play a major part in the 3rd movie. Instead they later just had him put on a bus, as TV Tropes puts it.
Personally I would had preferred if they had went with the original concept where Valka was the main villain since it would had been unique for the first time in an animated film rather then the usual evil uncle that the main antagonist was one of the parents of the protagonist.

The way it could had worked was Stoick lied to Hiccup about his mother dying to keep him safe and banished her because of some act of high treason that involved dragons and so he banished her who then since swore she'd get revenge on her husband.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How about you wait for the 4th movie to come out before judging it like that?
I don't plan to see it because it ended as a perfect trilogy and now that's ruined because Pixar has to grab that money while they're at it.

Can't let an emotionally satisfying ending and closure be an ending...

Plus that whole movie just reeks of fanservice for the Woody and Bo Peep shippers given how upset they were of her being absent and feels like Pixar's way of apologizing.

Seriously some franchises are better off ending on good notes especially that way they don't get milked out taking a massive dip in quality like how the Ice Age series had or Spongebob, Family Guy and such. Same reason I'm satisfied my favorite cartoon this generation The Regular Show ended on a great note.

And also another reason its good they ended How to Train Your Dragon where it is.

By doing that, these franchises will be remembered for their great quality and story telling they had rather then eventual blatant low qualified cash grabs with only the first few being beloved by the fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seriously some franchises are better off ending on good notes especially that way they don't get milked out taking a massive dip in quality like how the Ice Age series had or Spongebob, Family Guy and such. Same reason I'm satisfied my favorite cartoon this generation The Regular Show ended on a great note.
I agree with you that I would prefer to end a show over to milk it but here is the thing.

Continuing to milk shows earns their companies more money, even if the quality of their product may go down.
Spongebob, Family Guy, the Simpsons and Toy Story are all cash cows and as much as we want to end them, their companies would rather get more watch time and money than end it.

Regular Show is good, but no one was really watching it anymore, and it would be a waste of time to continue.

Albeit, I do hope that HyTYD 3 is the last HyTYD movie, because HtTYD 3 was the perfect way to end a series.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It is. It was confirmed and thank god for that.
I knew that they said this was the last one, I am just slightly worried that Dreamworks could lie.
Plus, is not Dreamworks being taken on by Illumination? Let's hype HtTYD 3 is the final HtTYD movie.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I knew that they said this was the last one, I am just slightly worried that Dreamworks could lie.
Plus, is not Dreamworks being taken on by Illumination? Let's hype HtTYD 3 is the final HtTYD movie.
They seem pretty confident with it.

To quote the director from a reddit AMA.

It’s going to be an emotional conclusion for all of us. Many on the crew have been a part of this trilogy for a decade or more. We’ve come to love these characters and this world that we get to play in. From the moment I was asked to come up with ideas for a sequel, the commitment for a trilogy that tells Hiccup’s and Toothless’ story in three acts was embraced and supported. So bringing the story to a close with integrity makes us all feel very proud. It will definitely be very emotional for us as well.
Doesn't sound like lying to me. At most I could see maybe a spin-off involving new characters but otherwise Hiccup's and Toothless' story being over.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Personally I would had preferred if they had went with the original concept where Valka was the main villain since it would had been unique for the first time in an animated film rather then the usual evil uncle that the main antagonist was one of the parents of the protagonist.

The way it could had worked was Stoick lied to Hiccup about his mother dying to keep him safe and banished her because of some act of high treason that involved dragons and so he banished her who then since swore she'd get revenge on her husband.
That was the original concept? That's a cool piece of trivia, first I've heard of it.

As much as I've like to see what potential storylines could be written around such a dark twist, it's hard for me to imagine that concept now after seeing Valka's character in the final film. She's too pure of a person and loves her family too much. I just can't possibly picture her as the villain instead, now.

Although, to be fair, that's largely because that's what we got in the movie in the end and now I'm too used to how her character turned out. I guess I would've felt a similar way about the idea of Valka being a good, loving character if they had actually gone with that route instead. I'll never be able to know for sure since that isn't how things went.

D

Deleted member

They seem pretty confident with it.

To quote the director from a reddit AMA.

Doesn't sound like lying to me.
I have knew that for a while.

Now on to a different subject.

What will happen to stuff like Shrek when Illumination eventually takes over Dreamworks?

D

Deleted member

How's everyone doing this fine evening?
Like how Noipoi Noipoi is still thinking about How to Train Your Dragon 3, I'm still thinking about Kingdom Hearts 3. Watched Antdude's video on it this evening and found I agreed with a lot if it. I like KH3 a lot, but it is a very flawed game that had too much pre-release hype for its own good.

I enjoy the game in spite of its flaws, but I'll admit they're there and valid. A part of me kind of wants to type out my own short review of the game as not only a fun way to practice my writing and editing, but also as a way of trying to figure out concretely how I feel about the game and where I truly place it among the other ones now that the hype period has worn off on me. Would anyone here be interested in reading something like that? I'll probably write it outfor myself anyways, but I'm curious if anyone here would be interested in the idea of me posting it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She's too pure of a person and loves her family too much.
Says the person that chose dragons over her family which is why I rather they went with the original concept. Making her like this felt like the producers way of wanting to "redeem" her.

If she had loved Hiccup she would of taken him with her. Her husband I could understand though. I'd argue Hiccup would of had an even better life since he wouldn't be for most his childhood seen as an outcast by Berk and looked down on by his father.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh gosh that was a horrible idea. I actually like Valka.

Thank goodness Dreamworks decided to make a new villain.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh gosh that would have been a horrible idea. I actually like Valka.

Thank goodness Dreamworks decided to make a new villain.
Yep instead they had her choose dragons over her damn family. I get Stoick but to leave her son behind? Very loving indeed. I for one would had loved the original concept as it would of been a new approach for an animated film never done before with the protagonist against one of their parents.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like how Noipoi Noipoi is still thinking about How to Train Your Dragon 3, I'm still thinking about Kingdom Hearts 3. Watched Antdude's video on it this evening and found I agreed with a lot if it. I like KH3 a lot, but it is a very flawed game that had too much pre-release hype for its own good.

I enjoy the game in spite of its flaws, but I'll admit they're there and valid. A part of me kind of wants to type out my own short review of the game as not only a fun way to practice my writing and editing, but also as a way of trying to figure out concretely how I feel about the game and where I truly place it among the other ones now that the hype period has worn off on me. Would anyone here be interested in reading something like that? I'll probably write it outfor myself anyways, but I'm curious if anyone here would be interested in the idea of me posting it.
Ooo, write your review. My curiosity lightens like a light bulb lighting up.
Yep instead they had her choose dragons over her damn family. I get Stoick but to leave her son behind? Very loving indeed.
Hiccup would of wanted Valka to do this, though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ooo, write your review. My curiosity lightens like a light bulb lighting up.

Hiccup would of wanted Valka to do this, though.
And if she truly did love him she would had taken him with her. As said I would argue him having a better life being loved by his mother and friends with all the dragons since he wouldn't had grown up for most his childhood an outcast by Berk and looked down on by his father who saw him as weak.

This would work great for an AU fanfic if you ask me.

D

Deleted member

And if she truly did love him she would had taken him with her. As said I would argue him having a better life being loved by his mother and friends with all the dragons since he wouldn't had grown up for most his childhood an outcast by Berk and looked down on by his father who saw him as weak.

This would work great for an AU fanfic if you ask me.
But then his father would have lost everything. Plus, Hiccup turned out to be quite important in economy, peace, dragons, industrialization, and more for Berk.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I also wish they had a better reasoning for Valka supposedly dying. I remember this one fanfic I read on Fanfiction.net where Alvin from the TV series was in recruits with Drago and apparently conflict with Alvin trying to kill Hiccup as a baby is what lead to her supposedly dying and Alvin and his men to being banished by Stoick. Valka who survived would find out Alvin is working for Drago and so decides for her families safety goes into hiding to keep tabs on Drago's process of his plans.

That would had made much more sense.

I hate it when movies and TV shows don't connect and the movies act like the TV shows never happened especially never mentioning its characters from said TV shows like they did with Alvin and Heather.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I hate it when movies and TV shows don't connect and the movies act like the TV shows never happened...
I mean people who haven’t seen the tv show would be lost if the movies made connections to it or if you had to watch the show to understand story elements in the movies.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not all good things can last forever, and in some cases, it's actually good, in turn, for them to end at a certain point.

I really miss a great deal of my favorite shows that have ended in previous years, but if they had gone on much longer, Lord knows what could've happened to them. The results could be anything from major dips in writing quality, to soulless money-milking that extends the given series' lifespan without giving it the care and heart that was once put into it, causing the franchise to lose it's meaning that made it special and lovable in the first place, to a mix of all of the above.

Alex Hirsch ended Gravity Falls when he did simply so that he could avoid any possibility of letting his show fall into that territory. Do I think it could've gone on for another season or more, and still give us brilliantly written stories and characters like it always has? Yeah, but when you see so many other formerly great cartoons get extended lifespans yet lose so much of their quality in the process, you can completely understand and respect his decision. And it's not like the series spanning only two seasons caused the story to feel rushed or crammed, either. It's pacing was handled well and it ended at a good time and on a high note. Just another reason why I love it so much, and though I miss it immensely (did I mention it's my favorite show of all time? Yeah, I think I did), I'm fully satisfied with the entire story it told, and I'm glad neither the show itself nor the team behind it lost their magic at any point; it was thoroughly enjoyable all the way through from the beginning to the end, and I can't say that about a lot of fictional works anymore, animated series in particular.

Sometimes a franchise can continue for a long time without issue...other times, it's best the people involved with it's creation, writing and funding end it at a certain point, on a high note, and not try to drag it out to tell more stories and/or make more money, as much as people may crave to see more of the world and characters they've come to love. Every story out there has an ending, after all. When you try to explore the story's world past it's ending, there may not being anything left of it to enjoy. There may be nothing special left to tell. These fictional worlds and their inhabitants may go on in our imaginations, but there gets to be a point where that spark they once had disappears and the experiences they could go through are, for reasons that vary, ultimately no longer intrigue or interest us. There's a point where there no longer any more stories left that these worlds or their characters can tell...at least, not any that have the same impacts they used to, or at least, as great of an impact as it's conclusion had. Sometimes, it's best to just let something good end when it really needs to, no matter how much we love it, and no matter how profitable it is/was for the parties who took part in giving it life.

I guess it's kinda late for me to make a post like this, and it's also probably kind of out of the blue, but I just felt like sharing some thoughts I had since there was talk about franchises we love and their inevitable conclusions earlier.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
No the dragons Toothless included are set free to go live in the Hidden World.

But Hiccup does stay once humans and dragons can learn to co-exist it might happen eventually.
That's terrible. That's just clickbait on a whole nother level. The trilogy is called "How to Train your Dragon" and they never train them? Unforgiveable.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Aye.

A smart man he is.

Good too considering I intend to give Gravity Falls a look at some point. Its peeked my interest lately.
I'm very biased when it comes to Gravity Falls, but I'd definitely recommend it anyway.

I could go on forever about everything that makes it such a brilliant and beautiful show, and all the things I personally love about it, but I won't spoil anything or spell all the details out. All I'm saying is, if you like a damn good mystery story, thoroughly fleshed out characters and set in an a colorful and imaginative world, having plenty of witty and original humor sprinkled throughout a good story, and cartoons in general, then chances are you'll like Gravity Falls. Watch it ASAP, man. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's terrible. That's just clickbait on a whole nother level. The trilogy is called "How to Train your Dragon" and they never train them? Unforgiveable.
To be fair they were trying to follow as closely to the books that the movies were based on.

I also didn't mind it because there was a reason for it. As long as there were dragons. There'd be evil people who'd attempt to weaponize them so by having them hide until there's a way for humans and dragons to co-exist will Hiccup or any of his descendants reveal them to the world so bittersweet is one way of describing it.

D

Deleted member

I cannot for the life of me pull off Snake’s codec calls.
H e l p m e.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm very biased when it comes to Gravity Falls, but I'd definitely recommend it anyway.

I could go on forever about everything that makes it such a brilliant and beautiful show, and all the things I personally love about it, but I won't spoil anything or spell all the details out. All I'm saying is, if you like a damn good mystery story, thoroughly fleshed out characters and set in an a colorful and imaginative world, having plenty of witty and original humor sprinkled throughout a good story, and cartoons in general, then chances are you'll like Gravity Falls. Watch it ASAP, man. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I plan on it anyways given its got some cryptozoology going for it as well which I'm really into especially Bigfoot.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I plan on it anyways given its got some cryptozoology going for it as well which I'm a huge buff of.
I was never that good with the cryptograms personally, but I enjoyed their involvement with the show anyway. If fans who aren't as familiar had fun looking into them and/or trying to solve them, then I'm certain it's a real treat for people who are experienced with them.

If you're willing, please let me know when you've given some episodes a watch, I'm always be down to hear some opinions on Gravity Falls, as well as for a good, general discussion of the show as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom