• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
So there's someone claiming that Erdrick being DLC could be a bad idea.

What do you guys think?
I'm sorry, this video made me cringe so much that I couldn't finish it, it's too much. I don't know anything about the Dragon Quest series, but I think Erdrick is a smart pick for DLC. He's nothing like Corrin, he's an influential character from a series that's been popular in Japan for more than a decade and isn't just used for promotion. I agree that Sora and Geno would be awesome for DLC, but just comparing Erdrick to them with fan polls or official polls to decide whether he has a best shot to get in is just bad, I don't think the entire smash fanbase worldwide participated in all those polls so it can't be taken as facts. Plus the argument of he's a 'literal who' for western fans was already broken when we got characters like Lucas and Fire Emblem before being localized.
At this point, Smash Ultimate or Smash Bros. as a series is the celebration for gaming and its history, not just pleasing fans.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Wasn't that debunked as being a rigged poll? Furthermore, Bayonetta was barely a commercial success, only managing to keep Platinum from going bankrupt barely

To say nothing of how the Wii U ports have sold like trash
It wasn't rigged. That's a conclusion people jump to to justify hating Bayonetta either because they don't like that she got in over their character of choice, or because they don't like how she dominated the meta of Smash 4 in the end. All that was found out was that Bayonetta and Cloud's base character data (starting from ZSS and Ike, I think) was added to the game two weeks after the ballot started.

But if you know anything about polls and statistics, the bulk of the votes for the ballot would've already been cast by then, so it makes sense that they'd have been able to pick out the most popular character from that data, which more likely than not didn't change in the following months. Because if they'd waited until the very end of the poll to start work on characters, then they wouldn't have been done until later the following year, which would've been ridiculous.

Game sales is also a poor argument to make. If you wanted to weight character/franchise worthiness on raw game sales alone, the roster would be mostly Mario and Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

I propose we call all anime characters "Gokus" now.

Joker is my favorite Goku.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone!
Now that we’re discussing Smash, I realise I don’t like it when we discuss Smash.
:ultdk:

Double K

Smash Lord
Game sales is also a poor argument to make. If you wanted to weight character/franchise worthiness on raw game sales alone, the roster would be mostly Mario and Pokemon.
I agree, which is why I brought it up in reference to the fact that Smash does not care if a game is obscure or irrelevant

Shroob

Sup?
It wasn't rigged. That's a conclusion people jump to to justify hating Bayonetta either because they don't like that she got in over their character of choice, or because they don't like how she dominated the meta of Smash 4 in the end. All that was found out was that Bayonetta and Cloud's base character data (starting from ZSS and Ike, I think) was added to the game two weeks after the ballot started.

But if you know anything about polls and statistics, the bulk of the votes for the ballot would've already been cast by then, so it makes sense that they'd have been able to pick out the most popular character from that data, which more likely than not didn't change in the following months. Because if they'd waited until the very end of the poll to start work on characters, then they wouldn't have been done until later the following year, which would've been ridiculous.

I'll always believe it 'was' rigged, because 'among realizable characters' is such a non-answer of who actually won.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
She didn't but her character was really what brought the show to a halt. She's kinda thought of as "One of the worst sidekicks" in the modern era by the fanbase.
I've been out of the Dr. Who stuff, who is she in the show?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I agree, which is why I brought it up in reference to the fact that Smash does not care if a game is obscure or irrelevant
Oh, it sounded like you were saying that because Bayonetta's games didn't sell super well that she shouldn't have been added.

I'll always believe it 'was' rigged, because 'among realizable characters' is such a non-answer of who actually won.
I interpret that to mean "No, we're not putting Goku in the game, because this is about video game characters, not manga/anime characters," followed by "Not every video game character would work from a design or licensing standpoint."

Shroob

Sup?
I've been out of the Dr. Who stuff, who is she in the show?
She played Clara, who had this really weird thing with 11's run after Amy and Rory left, and she was with 11 until he peaced out and then a couple of seasons with 12(Capaldi).

Capaldi's series with her aside from a very small handful of episodes is considered a huge low point because of just how 'bleh' everything feels. They focus WAY too much on her 'relationship' with a guy who gets killed off at the end of the season and then she just sticks around doing not a whole lot.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll try my best to make sure I don't only post about it, but I wanna warn you guys now i'll be riding the Dragons hype wave for a while.

D

Deleted member

I interpret that to mean "No, we're not putting Goku in the game, because this is about video game characters, not manga/anime characters," followed by "Not every video game character would work from a design or licensing standpoint."
TBH that doesn't explain why K. Rool didn't make it in when he supposedly had such strong support on the ballot.

I stand by the idea Bayo was a promotional pick. Nintendo and Platinum are supper chummy nowadays and Nintendo funded Bayo 2 and now 3. Makes sense to me, but to each their own; we don't have the ballot numbers and never will, so we will never know what actually happened.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
True, but, bleh, Capaldi's Dr.Who deserved better. His entire run was a slog despite a few good episodes. :dr^_^:
I’ll give you that, yeah sorry for the arguments sometimes it gets me seeing actors/actresses getting crap (you weren’t that bad about it FYI) for the problems in the characters they play when for the most part they’re just responsible for their performance. It’s like when I see waiters/waitresses mistreated by customers about the food when they’re just serving it.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, it sounded like you were saying that because Bayonetta's games didn't sell super well that she shouldn't have been added.

That's the thing.

If they never wanted to breed doubt, they would have never said anything, and now with Ultimate, we know the ballot played a huge roll in "EVERYONE IS HERE!" and K.rool, among a couple others.

She "won", but probably not over characters like Snake or Rool.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I take it you liked the movie? Awesome :D
I can't even describe my emotions.

Best thing i've seen all year, and I don't think anything'll change that. Oh wait, there is one thing....

ANGRY BIRDS 2 BAYBEE

That was a lie that movie sucked.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai with his comments on the Persona 5 music better take some of that back, or at least been sarcastic.

Last Surprise is great. That’s the song that should absolutely be in his gameplay trailer, just because of how great his surprise was.

Granted, it would have been even better if Joker were the last DLC character.

“You’ll never see it comiiiiiiiiiiiiing!”

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
**** snake
**** k rool
**** bayonetta

GIVE GOKU THE SPOT HE RIGHTLY EARNED

D

Deleted member

I'll try my best to make sure I don't only post about it, but I wanna warn you guys now i'll be riding the Dragons hype wave for a while.
Go ahead and post as much as you like about it. Can't be worse than me talking KH3 non-stop for the past month now, lol.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I can't even describe my emotions.

Best thing i've seen all year, and I don't think anything'll change that. Oh wait, there is one thing....

ANGRY BIRDS 2 BAYBEE

That was a lie that movie sucked.
First movie was still better than most video game movies, though that’s not exactly a high margin at the moment (well until Detective Pikachu releases)

Shroob

Sup?
I’ll give you that, yeah sorry for the arguments sometimes it gets me seeing actors/actresses getting crap (you weren’t that bad about it FYI) for the problems in the characters they play when for the most part they’re just responsible for their performance. It’s like when I see waiters/waitresses mistreated by customers about the food when they’re just serving it.
I do hate the writers though.

The whole "Clara" subplot basically goes nowhere, let's be ****ing honest, and her tenure with Capaldi was just unbearable.

Coupled with the fact that the amazing Heaven Sent episode is then followed by the dreadful Hell Bent, Capaldi's run was just a mess with Clara, it's like the writing team built her up with 11, did what they wanted, and then realize, "Oh ****, her contract's not up. Shoehorn her in somehow."

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Seeing as how Bayonetta was chosen so quickly, and at a time where Bayonetta 2 was super hyped up by the industry no less, I think the Ballot 'winner' was chosen at the very beginning of the ballot. Whith all those Votes flooding in it was a good idea to cut it off at some point early on and decide on one of the popular characters. At the time it was likely that Bayonetta was a popular character who was also a sensible, and reasonable, licensing endeavor to take that would keep the process relatively simple without killing hype. 3rd party characters are almost always SUPER hyped. Could Ridley or K. Rool have been chosen? Sure but it would've been one or the other and I think them both getting in ultimate at the same time was a far better choice.

Anyways, just my opinion but I don't think the Ballot was 'rigged'. Just that it wasnt fully realized until far latter than what was logically time feasible. Bayonetta was out in February 2016. Ballot started in April of 2015. So. Yeah. Timing.

D

Deleted member

Alright, aside from my push for Master Chief again for Smash and wants for Ultimate's OST, I'll touch on this whole matter on Erdrick.

Me? I need to see how he plays. If anything, I just hope that he isn't like a mix of Robin and Link and he's his own thing, from what I've heard of what he can do and his origins. I mean, they have 30 years of history from the franchise they can pull from. I'm alright if he uses a sword, but for god's sake, make him different. And just in general, inclusion-wise? I don't really care all that much. We got three left on the docket, and we really still don't know about Joker at all aside from hackerman code. But, I do know this.

I know the legacy Dragon Quest brings. It'd be a sin to say that DQV doesn't have that many memorable songs. However, I feel like I would be lying if I said the reveal won't cause heavily mixed reactions outside of Japan. Reports time and time again -- if we look just as Dragon Quest XI's sales last time back in November -- have proven that Square still needs to put in a lot more work to get Dragon Quest out there in regions that aren't Japan. It still kinda shocks me that after all these years, they still haven't got it out there. They got ****ing Chrono Trigger known globally, for Christ's sake.

If you ask me, that segment dedicated to Dragon Quest XI SHD: 356/2 Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Final ReMix [cross] in that Direct was another attempt to try and get it out there. There's characters a lot of people love I'll support and push, be it Banjo, Geno, or whoever. Y'all know I have one want left, and he goes AAAEEIIIYAAAH. I have no problem with Erdrick and Dragon Quest, but I'm not gonna be oblivious and be ready for the mixed reactions because Square couldn't get the franchise out there. So, if it happens and the rumors are true, cool. If it doesn't happen, cool. All cool with me. Again, I'll say that with timing and how insurmountable the hype was toward's KH3's release, it'd feel weird of Sora wasn't the "Square rep".

Also no, this post wasn't to shoot the **** at the Switch port's name.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do hate the writers though.

The whole "Clara" subplot basically goes nowhere, let's be ****ing honest, and her tenure with Capaldi was just unbearable.

Coupled with the fact that the amazing Heaven Sent episode is then followed by the dreadful Hell Bent, Capaldi's run was just a mess with Clara, it's like the writing team built her up with 11, did what they wanted, and then realize, "Oh ****, her contract's not up. Shoehorn her in somehow."
shouldve ended with matt smith if we're bein honest

had a nice, even 50 year run, and the regenerations were literally at the endpoint

and then deus ex machina take the regen dust pill and now we have 25 more years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom