• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I'm feeling skeptical today. Are we jumping the gun on who "brave" refers to? We assume "jack" must be Joker, through context. But if we didn't know Joker was being added, would we assume that just from the codename? "Jack" is an indirect reference to Joker at best, and this is why I'm skeptical of "brave" right now. Thing is, saying "brave" is Erdrick is a direct reference to him. Yet, "jack" is not a direct reference to Joker. We already knew about Joker, so why would "brave" be such an obvious assumption by comparison? If the purpose of a codename is to obscure the referent, then why would "brave" be so transparent as to be easily grasped by anyone who understands Dragon Quest?

My point is, the name "brave" being Erdrick is surprisingly obvious as a reference to who it is, which would seem to defeat the purpose of the codename in the first place. Hence, I believe that "brave" is not Erdrick. And due to the nature of the codename, I would be unable to specify an immediate alternative.

Of course, I could be completely incorrect, and I'll take the L if that happens.
It could go either way. A reference is still a reference.

That being said, I'm not willing to assume Erdrick is guaranteed or anything. These leakers keep hyping an Erdrick reveal, but they completely missed PP and Joker. That by itself is enough to make me cautious. Then, Verge himself completely messed up the February Direct predictions. Since Verge is the backbone behind a lot of this, that makes me really cautious.

People can call me ignorant, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of this being a coincidence. After all, wasn't Isaac all but confirmed after the Tweet using the odd angle, the September Direct delay following the earthquake, the mysterious sprout item, and the green pixels jutting into Olimar on the banner?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't think I can keep doing this.

It's goddamn tiring.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
oh also i forgot to mention that there's also a theory that brave was meant to be announced first, so that would still make verge's comments that an se rep is coming first still fit, and if there's still an se rep at this point it's probably erdrick
I honestly forgot about leakers when making my post. :laugh:
Of course, Erdrick is likely in his own right by virtue of his history. I not going to deny that he could happen, but I will try to invite discussion as to other characters, perhaps. While it's fun to be surprised, for the sake of speculation, maybe we should consider other characters as likely, too.
Watch as Erdrick is in but he's not "brave."

MainJPW

M.T.A
So I'm feeling skeptical today. Are we jumping the gun on who "brave" refers to? We assume "jack" must be Joker, through context. But if we didn't know Joker was being added, would we assume that just from the codename? "Jack" is an indirect reference to Joker at best, and this is why I'm skeptical of "brave" right now. Thing is, saying "brave" is Erdrick is a direct reference to him. Yet, "jack" is not a direct reference to Joker. We already knew about Joker, so why would "brave" be such an obvious assumption by comparison? If the purpose of a codename is to obscure the referent, then why would "brave" be so transparent as to be easily grasped by anyone who understands Dragon Quest?

My point is, the name "brave" being Erdrick is surprisingly obvious as a reference to who it is, which would seem to defeat the purpose of the codename in the first place. Hence, I believe that "brave" is not Erdrick. And due to the nature of the codename, I would be unable to specify an immediate alternative.

Of course, I could be completely incorrect, and I'll take the L if that happens.
I’m guessing “Packu” Being a direct reference to Paranha Plant doesn’t count in this discussion?

D

Deleted member

I’m guessing “Packu” Being a direct reference to Paranha Plant doesn’t count in this discussion?
well plant was almost 100% worked on in the base game, so idk if you can really compare the two

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
fam it's never time for that
If Peter was bitten by a radioactive underwear model, he'd be the Amazing Speedo-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive card shark, he'd be the Amazing Spade-r-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive agent, he'd be the Amazing Spy-der-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive potato, he'd be the Amazing Spud-er-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive orange, he'd be the Amazing Cider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive biker, he'd be the Amazing Rider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive ninja, he'd be the Amazing Strider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive Peter Griffin, he'd be the Amazing Wider-Man.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
well plant was almost 100% worked on in the base game, so idk if you can really compare the two
PP had to have been in development for quite some time. An amiibo typically creates a year to make, so for PP to get released in the second wave? Clearly he's not comparable to the other DLC characters.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
And that's where I can't really argue anything. All I've got is the idea that Piranha Plant was planned to either be a base roster character, or separate from the DLC pass characters. He was already in development before Ultimate released for some time, so his name in the files is literally his name. This is kind of moving the goalposts, but Plant is undeniably separate from the Fighter's pass, so who's to say the codename could not reflect this? I just question all of this because again, "jack" is not a direct reference to Joker, so why would he be the odd one out?

Edit: Others vocalized my Plant retort faster than I did, but you understand.

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
If Peter was bitten by a radioactive underwear model, he'd be the Amazing Speedo-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive card shark, he'd be the Amazing Spade-r-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive agent, he'd be the Amazing Spy-der-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive potato, he'd be the Amazing Spud-er-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive orange, he'd be the Amazing Cider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive biker, he'd be the Amazing Rider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive ninja, he'd be the Amazing Strider-Man.

If Peter was bitten by a radioactive Peter Griffin, he'd be the Amazing Wider-Man.
If Peter was bitten by a radioactive round dessert, he'd be the Amazing Pie-derman.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No response at all, huh? Well, at least nobody's going to miss me then...
Hey Dylly, I'm just trying to navigate this thread.

I hope you're doing well and if not, I hope things turn around.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Could you turn down the vagueness by about 7, please?
I apologize. I didn't mean for that to be a "look at me and ask me what's going on because I didn't go into detail" post. I just didn't want to go into detail.

I'm just tired of putting out fires and validating people and basically playing mama hen for every goddamn person I know. I'm tired of my roommate who's taking advantage of my kindness, I'm tired of every friend and friend of a friend feeling victimized for something and thinking I'm the one to confide in and fix it, I'm tired of paying for everything for my brother because he can't hold a job, and I'm tired of having everyone rely on me while I get to rely on absolutely nobody else.

And recently, not pointing any fingers at anybody but, this feeling has crossed over into my favorite forum, and I'm just... getting tired of putting out internet fires too. I just want to relax and ****post with my friends for a bit. I don't want to keep coming in to find X said something offensive to Y but X doesn't see it that way so we have three pages of people taking sides.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And that's where I can't really argue anything. All I've got is the idea that Piranha Plant was planned to either be a base roster character, or separate from the DLC pass characters. He was already in development before Ultimate released for some time, so his name in the files is literally his name. This is kind of moving the goalposts, but Plant is undeniably separate from the Fighter's pass, so who's to say the codename could not reflect this? I just question all of this because again, "jack" is not a direct reference to Joker, so why would he be the odd one out?

Edit: Others vocalized my Plant retort faster than I did, but you understand.
What if the correlation was the first letter of the codeword also being the first letter of the character's name?

D

Deleted member

I apologize. I didn't mean for that to be a "look at me and ask me what's going on because I didn't go into detail" post. I just didn't want to go into detail.

I'm just tired of putting out fires and validating people and basically playing mama hen for every goddamn person I know. I'm tired of my roommate who's taking advantage of my kindness, I'm tired of every friend and friend of a friend feeling victimized for something and thinking I'm the one to confide in and fix it, I'm tired of paying for everything for my brother because he can't hold a job, and I'm tired of having everyone rely on me while I get to rely on absolutely nobody else.

And recently, not pointing any fingers at anybody but, this feeling has crossed over into my favorite forum, and I'm just... getting tired of putting out internet fires too. I just want to relax and ****post with my friends for a bit. I don't want to keep coming in to find X said something offensive to Y but X doesn't see it that way so we have three pages of people taking sides.
I am sorry...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I've been told I'm apparently going much sooner than I expected...
I don't know you much at all, but I don't like how ominous this sounds...

Hopefully whatever it is that's going on, you pull through and come back like nothing even happened. God speed, Dylly.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Well, it's too late now.
Bro, if you’re thinking of doing what i think you’re going to be doing, then stop. Just please don’t do it. There are people around you that care for you. We all want to help you so please try and talk to us. Whether through here or PMs. Talking always helps. Trust me.

I’m really sorry...

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

I apologize.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I apologize.
That's big of you, and I accept it. But I'm not the one you need to apologize to.

But, we've moved on from those topics and I've said my piece. My peace? However that stupid phrase goes. Doesn't even make sense.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Bro, if you’re thinking of doing what i think you’re going to be doing, then stop. Just please don’t do it. There are people around you that care for you. We all want to help you so please try and talk to us. Whether through here or PMs. Talking always helps. Trust me.
Judging by him saying that he's been told this, it doesn't seem to be something that he's in control of.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy If you're implying what I think you are, I hope that you'll be able to overcome whatever is afflicting you. Best of luck.

D

Deleted member

I'll apologize for dragging that thing out for too long, it's just when I'm feeling good with myself, reading **** like that makes me get really volatile because sudeenly I'm not feeling so good with myself anymore.
But I should also consider how others want to feel good with themselves as well so I'm sorry that I put you and others who had nothing to do with it in a bad mood.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Judging by him saying that he's been told this, it doesn't seem to be something that he's in control of.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy If you're implying what I think you are, I hope that you'll be able to overcome whatever is afflicting you. Best of luck.
My mistake. I didn’t get the whole context of what he was going through.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's big of you, and I accept it. But I'm not the one you need to apologize to.

But, we've moved on from those topics and I've said my piece. My peace? However that stupid phrase goes. Doesn't even make sense.
See I apologize for causing you grief however. I'm not responsible for what others blow out of context and continue to do with various other users.

I am sorry that they can't see the world as anything other than a vile place out to get them, but that's not my problem.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I hope you’re not implying what I think you are implying...

Regardless, I hope you overcome whatever it is you are dealing with. If you ever wanna talk, my PMs are always open. I wish you nothing but the best, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom