• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Should crab guy be permanently banned from events? Yeah. Should he be permabanned? Hell ****ing no. If yeeting one(1) crustacean is enough to get you permabanned from tournaments than half of the Smash community shouldn't even exist. And besides, banning the crab guy before any of the actual dangerous individuals inside the Smash community is a little bit of, uhm, skewed priorities
This is whataboutism.

This event could have actually killed or seriously injured someone.

Bringing up other bad actions has no impact on this one.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yes, sexual assaulters and bigots are really bad and should be permabanned from events, but that doesn't mean Mr. Crab Chucker can't be as well, simply because said crime wasn't as major.

It's still attempted battery, which is indeed also a crime.

We really shouldn't be comparing different criminal offences to each other. They're all still bad at the end of the day

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't get the extreme devotion to Melee either; I'm not really into competitive Smash, but it seems that the Melee situation is like if people started demanding that Street Fighter III: Third Strike (specifically, the Dreamcast version of that game) should be a headliner in EVO, saying that it should take priority over the most recent games in the series and complaining if it didn't get preferential treatment.

Maybe I'm just not informed enough on the topic, but you'd think that after nearly two decades of playing the same handful of characters on the same handful of stages, there's only so much that could be done with the game competitively. It probably doesn't help that I saw this Reddit post this morning, where someone was (un?)subtly trying to say that Melee's the better Smash game because it had higher viewership at one particular tournament.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

anyways shish has a valid point

i do think that the smash community should reevaluate what they think or don't think is permaban worthy

crab yeeter should be permabanned. that is my take

but if we permaban crab yeeter but down the line another player is found to be abusive and isn't banned?

sends kind of a bad message

i say **** it ban the lot of them

pull a thanos but add another 50% to his original plan

D

Deleted member

This is whataboutism.

This event could have actually killed or seriously injured someone.

Bringing up other bad actions has no impact on thisbone.
This is not about invalidating the action of yeeting a crab but to point out the hipocrisy in the Smash community. If you can't even punish more serious offenses then you shouldn't be talking about permabanning a less serious one. It's a question of priorities and it seems the Smash community has theirs skewed.
And also, it "could" have hurt someone. Attempted harm and actual harm are not on the same level for obvious reasons.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You mean glitches. Your talking about glitches.

Seriously, if that was a thing on GameCube Sakurai would have patched out maybe 98% of these “advanced mechanics”.
Wave-dashing isn't a glitch though.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

To illustrate what I was saying earlier, here's some of what I was talking about with Piranha Plant and Bowser Jr.

These files are all from Piranha Plant's animations folder, but still clearly retain their names from when they were Jr.'s files, still containing mentions of "jr" and "clown" within them. To me it's indicative that they reuse animation files from existing characters and then rebuild them into the new characters. And considering that our Jane file is a hair related animation file, it'd be right in line with this kind of practice.
It's false to equate the hair vertex cache with keyframed joints just because they're both related to animation. They are fundamentally different systems.

A vertex cache animation only functions with the specific model it was created for. It cannot be ported to another model. You cannot change even a single vertex in the model, or the cache will break. But a joint animation, by contrast, is easily ported between every skeleton with the same naming convention, and it is standard practice to keep all skeletons in a pipeline built with the same hierarchy for this very reason.

If you've ever looked at modding Smash, you'll see this in action. It's very easy to attach any given model to another skeleton and have them use those animations. But many amateur modders are completely incapable of including face animations in their mods, because those are not handled by the skeletal animations, but instead by vertex shifted blend shapes. These cannot be ported from one model to the next, and have to be created entirely from scratch for the new model.

But it's a moot point, because the file that would be being reused in this scenario is not the animation. The animation is clearly labeled "Jane." It belongs to her. The file that would be being reused here would be Jack's character model, and as stated, that's just not how it works.

D

Deleted member

I don't see why it has to be either or. Yes, it's bad that we haven't punished people who have more serious offences, but that doesn't mean we can't just punish both crustacean chucker and the people who have committed sexual assault.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is not about invalidating the action of yeeting a crab but to point out the hipocrisy in the Smash community. If you can't even punish more serious offenses then you shouldn't be talking about permabanning a less serious one. It's a question of priorities and it seems the Smash community has theirs skewed.
And also, it "could" have hurt someone. Attempted harm and actual harm are not on the same level for obvious reasons.
Except by thinking that, you're ignoring a large portion of the community that thinks both events are banworthy. This was a crime caught on film that posed a threat of serious injury. By you comparing throw a crab to throwing a tomato tells me you're underplaying the severity here.

And that's coming from someone who thinks Hyuga should serve serious time for what he did.

D

Deleted member

I don't get the extreme devotion to Melee either; I'm not really into competitive Smash, but it seems that the Melee situation is like if people started demanding that Street Fighter III: Third Strike (specifically, the Dreamcast version of that game) should be a headliner in EVO, saying that it should take priority over the most recent games in the series and complaining if it didn't get preferential treatment.

Maybe I'm just not informed enough on the topic, but you'd think that after nearly two decades of playing the same handful of characters on the same handful of stages, there's only so much that could be done with the game competitively. It probably doesn't help that I saw this Reddit post this morning, where someone was (un?)subtly trying to say that Melee's the better Smash game because it had higher viewership at one particular tournament.
Competitive Melee is definitely impressive to watch, but yeah, it's really stagnated in recent years. Watching the same 3 or 4 characters over and over and over again without any change in general strategy does eventually get boring, especially on the extremely small stage list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hyuga literally should have gone to jail.

They got witnesses and a confession. I have no idea why they didnt press criminal charges.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hugs literally should have gone to jail.

They got witnesses and a confession. I have no idea why they didnt press criminal charges.
wait Hugo did some bad ****???
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the allegations against Ally proven wrong?
pretty sure the original ally accuser is sticking to his guns

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
anyways shish has a valid point

i do think that the smash community should reevaluate what they think or don't think is permaban worthy

crab yeeter should be permabanned. that is my take

but if we permaban crab yeeter but down the line another player is found to be abusive and isn't banned?

sends kind of a bad message

i say **** it ban the lot of them

pull a thanos but add another 50% to his original plan
“I was banned from completing in melee tournaments... I don’t even go to tournaments!”

D

Deleted member

Except by thinking that, you're ignoring a large portion of the community that thinks both events are banworthy. This was a crime caught on film that posed a threat of serious injury. By you comparing throw a crab to throwing a tomato tells me you're underplaying the severity here.

And that's coming from someone who thinks Hyuga should serve serious time for what he did.
I just really can't see how the crab thing is anywhere near comparable to sexual assault. By saying both should be permabanned, you equate the two crimes.
I do believe mr. crab yeeter should be temporarily banned, but most certainly not permanently.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I say permaban crab Bullseye and anyone else who is as toxic as they are. God knows this community could use an enema.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just like combos in Street Fighter
The difference is, Capcom kept Combos and they ran on throughout the entire rest of the series and other titles like it. Sakurai has never once tried to replicate all of those buggy mechanics in Melee in any successive installment. That game's code is an enigma even to the development staff.
Wave-dashing isn't a glitch though.
Then why did it never come back?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Considering the original post is editted Swamp probably meant Hyuga but accidentally said Hugs. Don't know about him but Hungrybox should definitely be checked out as it's been documented that he's a creep
HBox too? Why have I not heard about this stuff until being on here? Literally no one else brings it up anywhere besides reddit and a few obscure tweets.
It's crazy how much stuff the community wants to ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom