• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't get the extreme devotion to Melee either; I'm not really into competitive Smash, but it seems that the Melee situation is like if people started demanding that Street Fighter III: Third Strike (specifically, the Dreamcast version of that game) should be a headliner in EVO, saying that it should take priority over the most recent games in the series and complaining if it didn't get preferential treatment.

Maybe I'm just not informed enough on the topic, but you'd think that after nearly two decades of playing the same handful of characters on the same handful of stages, there's only so much that could be done with the game competitively. It probably doesn't help that I saw this Reddit post this morning, where someone was (un?)subtly trying to say that Melee's the better Smash game because it had higher viewership at one particular tournament.
Wait, are Melee players complaining about the lack of character diversity in high-level Ultimate tournaments?

D

Deleted member

HBox too? Why have I not heard about this stuff until being on here? Literally no one else brings it up anywhere besides reddit and a few obscure tweets.
It's crazy how much stuff the community wants to ignore
From what I can remember, HBox was notorious for cheating on his girlfriend multiple time, not sure if there's any other reports of him being creepy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just really can't see how the crab thing is anywhere near comparable to sexual assault. By saying both should be permabanned, you equate the two crimes.
I do believe mr. crab yeeter should be temporarily banned, but most certainly not permanently.
So by your logic, sexual assault is the only thing banworthy, since few if any crimes are more severe short of like, murder. No. The most extreme cases shouldn't set the precedent. The bar for decency shouldn't be that offensively low. I'd say even something MORE MINOR than the crab thing should constitute a permaban. Let the manchildren live in fear if they can't be decent. Don't let them skirt by by doing the bare minimum.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, have Daddy Topps
f3f359a2-9d91-49b6-96a5-3d8e7cbb888a.jpg

Land Before Time was always my favorite movie franchise tbh

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
HBox too? Why have I not heard about this stuff until being on here? Literally no one else brings it up anywhere besides reddit and a few obscure tweets.
It's crazy how much stuff the community wants to ignore
Yeah, Hbox constantly cheats on his wife and creeps on women from time to time and he also has a picture of being with that Milo guy from Breitbart/Infowars. This reminds me when I told you that Mang0's a wifebeater

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Tripping also never came back, but it wasn't a glitch.

You are a couple of days late for that.
Oh.. okay, I apologize. For some reason when I copied the youtube link to search, it didn't return any results at all. I tried to make sure it wasn't already posted..

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Hbox constantly cheats on his wife and creeps on women from time to time and he also has a picture of being with that Milo guy from Breitbart/Infowars. This reminds me when I told you that Mang0's a wifebeater
WHAT?! Mang0 did what? I thought he was a good guy! Come on I really liked the dude

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh.. okay, I apologize. For some reason when I copied the youtube link to search, it didn't return any results at all. I tried to make sure it wasn't already posted..
Did you watch the whole video? It might clear up a few things.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Tripping also never came back, but it wasn't a glitch.

You are a couple of days late for that.
Ok. I'm trying not to get angry. And I'm trying not to start a fight. But isn't it common knowledge that most of those "advanced mechanics" were just the results of the rushed development and the GameCube being hard to program for.

You can argue it has come back in Ultimate, but using your logic here L Cancelling is a glitch cause it never came back, even though it was mentioned as an advanced technique in 64.
Above. Also, I'm not saying that it's a glitch because it never came back. I'm saying it never came back because it was a glitch. L Cancelling is just a feature he decided to drop. Most of that Melee stuff was not.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know that's what I'm referring to. These two are huge in the community and it is only here, after years of following them, that I'm hearing about this. Like, why is this not brought up ever? This is such a huge deal.
Because muh meta is more important. I know there's a Falco player in Melee who outright had a criminal record and jail time but if he got in jail for smoking weed or something then he can stay, but if it's battery, sexual assault or murder then keep him the **** away

D

Deleted member

So by your logic, sexual assault is the only thing banworthy, since few if any crimes are more severe short of like, murder. No. The most extreme cases shouldn't set the precedent. The bar for decency shouldn't be that offensively low. I'd say even something MORE MINOR than the crab thing should constitute a permaban. Let the manchildren live in fear if they can't be decent. Don't let them skirt by by doing the bare minimum.
I can see what you mean but I never said it was the only thing ban worthy. A thrown crab that didn't hurt anyone in the end can be learned from, it's not an unforgivable offense.
The issue comes if they later show they didn't learn their lesson, in which case I think it'd be reasonable to permaban them.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I know that's what I'm referring to. These two are huge in the community and it is only here, after years of following them, that I'm hearing about this. Like, why is this not brought up ever? This is such a huge deal.
Because there was no conclusive evidence and mang0's wife has been under suspicion of slander in the past.
Overall, inconclusive situation from my understanding.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
aren't there legit discord convos between him and zack or something? idk haven't been keeping up with the recent Gamer news
What the conversations about? I honestly dont know.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Did you watch the whole video? It might clear up a few things.
Yes, I did, so in the end, I realized it was a prank. In the beginning, the female protagonist was a little interesting, but I felt that something was wrong when I saw Mishima...the way he suddenly died wasn't normal to me. Then the scene where the Metaverse activated without anyone even using keywords. Finally.. 'Akechi' suddenly appearing and the way the game froze didn't feel natural to me, it was not how a game worked.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Ok. I'm trying not to get angry. And I'm trying not to start a fight. But isn't it common knowledge that most of those "advanced mechanics" were just the results of the rushed development and the GameCube being hard to program for.
Like what? L cancelling was intentional. Shield dropping was intentional. Wavedashing isn't in because the game was rushed, it was in because they would have to completely rework the physics engine and airdodging in order to get rid of it, and it wasn't worth the trouble.

What other advanced tech was because of rushed design?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can see what you mean but I never said it was the only thing ban worthy. A thrown crab that didn't hurt anyone in the end can be learned from, it's not an unforgivable offense.
The issue comes if they later show they didn't learn their lesson, in which case I think it'd be reasonable to permaban them.
I don't see what letting them repeat this will accomplish, they threw a blunt object to someone over a video game.

I'm not saying they should serve time or anything, but it's not THAT small of an issue.

D

Deleted member

Awkward time to butt in with music, but damn I love this soundtrack. It makes overworld exploration bearable.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If we're going by that logic, I guess that means if someone attempted to shoot someone but the bullet missed, it's okay, because no harm was done. No, it doesn't work like that.

Just because it didn't hurt anyone in the end doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Harm was meant to be done, and this event should be treated as if harm was indeed done

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Y’all are talking about crabs
Probably need special shampoo
Also probably need to ban dead spiky rock throwers AND sexual harassers

D

Deleted member

From what I hear Mang0 and his girlfriend are incredibly abusive to each other so I really think someone should call child services for their kid
If that's the case I think they should just split up it's unhealthy for them and their child, Call Child services to get that sorted out and whatnot it doesn't sound like a very good situation at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think in the end I'm just more of a proponent of a zero tolerance policy, which may explain our disconnect here. IMO a permaban would send a clear message to everyone else. "Hey, did you try to assault someone with a projectile weapon? Congrats, you're no longer welcome at any events and will have the police notified if you dare to trespass." That sort of thing. Make people fear the consequences of even attempting something like this again.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Question.

Why are we talking about permabanning instead of getting these people charged with criminal offenses?

Like Hyuga had everything needed to go straight to jail and it's not like the victim had qualms about bringing this up cause they did on social media.

Why dont people go to the police in cases like this?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey guys.

Just woke up.

The **** are we talking about.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Like what? L cancelling was intentional. Shield dropping was intentional. Wavedashing isn't in because the game was rushed, it was in because they would have to completely rework the physics engine and airdodging in order to get rid of it, and it wasn't worth the trouble.

What other advanced tech was because of rushed design?
Look, I don't know enough about Melee to list off every single mechanic. All I know is that it's common knowledge that most of those mechanics were accidental, which is why he never tried to replicate them. He never wanted them in the first place.

D

Deleted member

I don't see what letting them repeat this will accomplish, they threw a blunt object to someone over a video game.

I'm not saying they should serve time or anything, but it's not THAT small of an issue.
Which is why I say they should be temporarily banned. It's not a small issue but it's also not an unforgivable one. I didn't even say how long they should be banned either, it could be from 1 to 10 years but permanently seems to be jumping the gun a bit.
If we're going by that logic, I guess that means if someone attempted to shoot someone but the bullet missed, it's okay, because no harm was done. No, it doesn't work like that.

Just because it didn't hurt anyone in the end doesn't matter. Harm was meant to be done, and this event should be treated as if harm was indeed done
A gun really shouldn't be compared to a thrown crab because one is an actual weapon and firing it at someone is outright attempted murder

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Look, I don't know enough about Melee to list off every single mechanic. All I know is that it's common knowledge that most of those mechanics were accidental, which is why he never tried to replicate them. He never wanted them in the first place.
That doesn't make them a glitch though.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I'm sorry but unless you can give a reason besides "it's common knowledge", your point is invalid.

To clarify, I'm really not trying to be rude, I just want to know why you drew this conclusion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom