• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
If one wants to argue that the game was rushed, I wouldn't really argue against it. Certainly there are elements that could have been tweaked or fixed, especially if you believe that they planned on Sent's life being 905k before the game came out. Online play is generally disappointing but Capcom's never really done that too well in the US, so I don't factor that in rushing.

But complaining about the game being rushed? I wouldn't do that either. I think overall the game is very well made and the amount of problems with the game are considerably low especially considering the style of fighting game.

Another factor is the time of release. If they wanted to rush it they could have put it out last November for the holiday shopping season. Instead we get the game well in front of Evolution, which will be an incredibly hype tourney. It's also a few months before AE comes out on consoles. And Capcom wouldn't want to release those two at the same time.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
because the game had glitches it becomes rushed? hardly. a glitch is a glitch, something unintended in gameplay. you can't just test for glitches. you test normal gameplay and if that works, testers are happy ( for the most part).
Sorry but things like the DHC glitch and zero's snapback glitch were jokes and should have been spotted.

X-factor isn't a true problem imo. it's really only a problem with DP.
Like I already said broken gameplay mechanics. If you honestly think X-factor was well integrated then I really don't know what to say. I like how you chose to ignore what I said about the aerial exchange system also. Just like how you are ignoring all the problems with the game itself.

and everyone's damage output could be a problem. I don't think they thought this game would end up being so offensively based since we saw so many time outs when this first came out.
The only time we saw a lot of timeouts was during the location testing. Of course this was gonna happen because no one knew wtf they were doing.

online's a problem with most games these days except like 3.
Street fighter 4 was a passable online experience. This was a joke.

mission modes in ANY game are terrible. it wasn't meant to be good.
You can't even scroll through the combo's on screen. You have to pause the game go to the menu and scroll through. So by your logic I shouldn't mind that capcom is purposely adding gameplay elements that they themselves knew were garbage?

and I never said the top characters are broken. everyone of the characters I listed is very good. hardly broken except 2
You misunderstood me. Everyone is a one man army in this game. Everyone is broken.

@_Dice
Go look up the DHC glitch

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
They don't like doujins? I don't think you are talking about the doujins I'm familiar with.
The only one they seem to except fully is GG. BB gets some ****, AH and all the other ones gets a whole lot of ****.

And this arguement is pointless, if X-Factor alone(which imo is the scrubbiest, worst mechanic ever put in a fighting game ever) doesn't show you that the game is rushed idk what's wrong with you.

_Dice

Smash Ace
@_Dice
Go look up the DHC glitch
why would you assume i don't know the DHC glitch. so wesker can be a combo continuer on a DHC glitch i've known that since the DHC glitch was discovered, that really does nothing but make him upper mid tier to low high tier. and it does nothing to improve his otherwise bad predictable approaches and does nothing to shore up his weaknesses, in fact it provides more reason to keep him from being in the fight. He's pretty much a faster tron, with a worse assist and very slightly better approach game (but worse damage and combo ability).

Wesker is no where near an S tier character. not overall. and certainly not based on results or capability. wesker is pretty much only going to get weaker (barring a glitch being discovered that makes him better) for the rest of the life of the game. I'd put him maybe top 10. but certainly not much further down than 12

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
And this arguement is pointless, if X-Factor alone(which imo is the scrubbiest, worst mechanic ever put in a fighting game ever) doesn't show you that the game is rushed idk what's wrong with you.
How exactly is an admittedly overpowered comeback mechanic indicative of a game's development schedule? No, really. I want to know.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I just don't think they tested the game enough before shipping it out. Of course I don't know capcoms exact dev schedule, no one does, I think x-factors one of those things they didn't test out correctly. It just felt like they were worried about balance more than anything in MvC3 and they had a short amount of time to do it.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
If you don't like X-factor that's one thing, but using it as an argument that the game was rushed is rather silly.

This whole series of arguments started because the game doesn't say 'Perfect'?

I just don't think they tested the game enough before shipping it out. Of course I don't know capcoms exact dev schedule, no one does, I think x-factors one of those things they didn't test out correctly. It just felt like they were worried about balance more than anything in MvC3 and they had a short amount of time to do it.
This is a lot more reasonable statement, no one can argue with someone if they just think they should have tested more instead of they "should" have tested more.

I think X-factor is doing exactly what they wanted it to do. I think they wanted crazy comebacks and the adaptability to use it in other situations as well. Like when you see people X-factor in order to take out two characters.

You can probably blame Street Fighter 4 for this. The Ultra mechanic is worse IMO. And the game is basically the most popular Street Fighter of all time. But you get a move that does half life and the way you get that move is to get your butt kicked?

cutter

Smash Champion
Thanks ETwist, for understanding where I'm coming from. Though I think you might be overestimating me. I'd consider my self pretty good, but not a super great player or anything lol. I just know my **** and I understand game mechanics and dynamics very well when I put my mind to it. My execution could still use work though :lol:

Basically, it's like this: Name me another fighting game that does NOT give you a "Perfect!" message after you perfect someone. At least a good fighting game.

It's just missing details like that that annoy me to no end. Considering you guys are talking about glitches and how they relate to how fast this game was pushed out, I might as well give my two cents on the issue as well:

Basically, it is physically impossible to find each and every last glitch. Some will slip through the cracks. People forget that Capcom actually had to finish MvC3 up by last November, because that's when they had to send the game to the ESRB to get it rated. Niitsuma mentioned back in August that they locked down the whole roster then. That means Capcom had about three months between that time to get their **** together and submit the game to the ESRB.

That being said, there is one glitch in particular that I believe was inexcusable to have let slip through: Akuma's Tatsu infinite. That was quite possibly one of the most braindead infinites I have seen in a long time. Hell I'd wager that Ice Climbers infinites are harder than just jumping up and Tatusing someone over and over again. Even though Capcom put a lot of faith into their "infinite prevention system" via hitstun decay, they still should have playtested everything themselves to make sure things were gonna be ok rather than falling back on their engine to iron out the kinks.

Remember though, Marvel 2 had a lot of glitches integrated into its metagame as well, and people embraced them. AHVB (with invincible legs and all), unfly, Sentinel's unblockable spit, Tron rings assist, Juggernaut glitch, etc. I'm all for glitches like the DHC trick if they add to the dynamics of gameplay in some manner, and not just break the game in half like Zero's Sogenmu snapback glitch.

EDIT: Regarding X-factor... actually I'm fine with X-factor, even level 3 X-factor in all its glory. The only real problem with X-factor is when Dark Phoenix gets level 3 X-factor. She should at the absolute least not regain red health. It would make sense intuitively that her health drain (from Dark Phoenix mod) and the X-factor health regen would cancel out.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
X-Factor has been in the game since before Phoenix's reveal trailer was released, possibly earlier. See 1:02. I think they had plenty of time to test it.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Cutter I disagree about Akuma's Tatsu infinite. It requires a standing opponent (or Sentinel, and frankly, screw Sentinel) and actually isn't all that easy to do. Did you ever see it in a tourney match?

Savon

Smash Ace
Maybe. I feel that way personally, but what were the devs thinking? Even the most basic of combos with x-factor will result in zero to death combos, and more importantly the game is super rushdown heavy begin with, so it is not like getting that 1 it is hard to get.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Dice, I really don't understand your logic anymore. Hearing Hsien-Ko being a better counter against Dark Phoenix than Akuma in that other thread and you saying Wesker isn't S tier due to bad supers is pretty mind boggling to me.

As for whether the game is rushed, I think it kind of is. They focused a lot of their time on balancing the game but missed out on some features, IMO.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Y'all complain about X factor... Okay so you lost to an x factor. Get over it. Some character need that **** to kill off someone like wesker in one combo. Cough Zero Cough. Now, what Marvel vs Capcom is suppose to be is crazy ******** broken *** **** that flies out people's *****. ANY GAME made in this era, is gonn a be scrub friendly, just saiyan. So, big whoop. X factor is broken. Sentinel was broken in MVC2. Normals that chip? Unblockable set-ups by himself. In mvc2 you're likely doing three things while playing. Combo's, Infinite combo's, or Stalling.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
X-factor added that degree of depth that games these days need. like L-canceling in melee. it adds a degree of depth that if you can't master, you'll never be good

Savon

Smash Ace
I agree, I still have much more fun with MvC3 and think it is more enjoyable game. Nonetheless I feel like issues such as x-factor are issues that could have been easily mitigated or avoided. You say that it helps other characters kill Wesker in combo, but it does not change the fact that he can do the same thing back with his own x-factor. I just feel that the game gets pretty frustrating when your opponent can do into Steroid mode with one character left and wipe the floor with your entire team. The stronger and faster part is one thing, but the health regen and no chip only makes things more frustrating.

cutter

Smash Champion
Cutter I disagree about Akuma's Tatsu infinite. It requires a standing opponent (or Sentinel, and frankly, screw Sentinel) and actually isn't all that easy to do. Did you ever see it in a tourney match?
You're right, you really didn't see the Tatsu infinite in tournament, but I will stand by the fact that part of the reason had to do was the fact that Akuma has been and still is, played mostly as an assist character. I think you would have seen many more Tatsu infinites if Akuma was actually a good point character.

Regardless of how hard the infinite might have been to execute and land, there is no excuse to be able to infinite someone by just Tatsuing them again and again. That infinite was very reminiscent of something that would be found in a game like X-men vs. Street Fighter.

Dice, I really don't understand your logic anymore. Hearing Hsien-Ko being a better counter against Dark Phoenix than Akuma in that other thread and you saying Wesker isn't S tier due to bad supers is pretty mind boggling to me.

As for whether the game is rushed, I think it kind of is. They focused a lot of their time on balancing the game but missed out on some features, IMO.
I agree, they focused a ton on the roster balance. Seth even said at one point that a huge chunk of the development time was solely for balancing the roster.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah cause they dont want it to be like marvel 2 where if Captain Commando was your last guy vs three people you wouldn't win at all
Sanfords done it. :awesome:

Y'all complain about X factor... Okay so you lost to an x factor. Get over it. Some character need that **** to kill off someone like wesker in one combo. Cough Zero Cough. Now, what Marvel vs Capcom is suppose to be is crazy ******** broken *** **** that flies out people's *****. ANY GAME made in this era, is gonn a be scrub friendly, just saiyan. So, big whoop. X factor is broken. Sentinel was broken in MVC2. Normals that chip? Unblockable set-ups by himself. In mvc2 you're likely doing three things while playing. Combo's, Infinite combo's, or Stalling.
Soooooooo many things wrong about this post. So. ****ing. Many. First off, I don't hate x-factor because I've lost to it (I'm not a crybaby scrub, as Brightside said stop taking every sign of criticism as crying) but i also get no satisfaction what-so-ever from using it. I hate when I comback with x-factor because my opponent couldn't block all of my mix-ups (which we all know are hard to block, esp in Marvel). I don't even feel like I won the match. I felt more like I pressed a win button. Of course it doesn't happen all of the time but it does happen a lot. Why should I lose when I played a full, good match with multiple reads and my opponent just used x-factor and hit 3 mix-ups and ***** the **** outta me? I just hate the sucky *** mechanic. And there's a difference between Sent and XF. XF is more broken than Sent to start off with, and Sent took skill.

Sent wasn't scrub easy in the slightest, not even a little bit. The scrubbiest thing about sent was the HSF loop. And for infinites? This is one of those things that irks the **** out of me. I'm going to say it AGAIN. MvC2 is not XMvSF. The game is not determined by who gets the first infinite. The only two characters who have viable infinites that aren't mu dependent (like Striders on Sent and Storms on Sent) was Magneto's (which does no damage on it's own and it's used to get people in the corner, gain meter, and set up resets and mix ups) and IMs (his was stupid WM too but he's just slow IM).

X-factor added that degree of depth that games these days need. like L-canceling in melee. it adds a degree of depth that if you can't master, you'll never be good
XF and L-cancels are nothing alike at all. >_> X-factor's easy, L-cancelings not, X-factor can be used for many things, L-canceling cannot.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Wait so... a character whose offense is overwhelming, has a ridiculous control game, chips on everything, kills everything in one combo because of her ridiculous offense (I believe), and will die to pretty much any combo in the game because of low health especially because of her weakness to hypers is broken BECAUSE SHE CAN REGAIN HEALTH WITH X-FACTOR?

Seriously?

Savon

Smash Ace
If you are down to one character vs 3 you probably deserve to have that lose anyways, unless there is something about marvel 2 I do not know that makes what i am saying incorrect.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
XF and L-cancels are nothing alike at all. >_> X-factor's easy, L-cancelings not, X-factor can be used for many things, L-canceling cannot.
I compared the depth it added, not how easy it was to execute

_Dice

Smash Ace

hsien-ko beats pheonix-dark pheonix while akuma is less than good against pheonix but has a potential to OHKO DP if the DP is dumb enough to be in that situation. Hsien-ko's good matchups in this game are: really bad players, pheonix, dark pheonix, Hulk.
akuma is a MUCH better character all around, but Hsien ko is better in one matchup.

and Wesker isn't S tier due to bad supers, predictability, mediocre anti air and approach options vs airbornes,and requiring an assist to continue a long combo. he's not low tier due to high damage, above average speed, dhc trick good assists.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
and Wesker isn't S tier due to bad supers, predictability, mediocre anti air and approach options vs airbornes,and requiring an assist to continue a long combo. he's not low tier due to high damage, above average speed, dhc trick good assists.
he's may be predictable, but that really doesn't matter since he has unblockables with assists.

and why does requiring an assist to continue combos does not mean he's bad? it means his normal bnb combos do high damage already.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
hsien-ko beats pheonix-dark pheonix while akuma is less than good against pheonix but has a potential to OHKO DP if the DP is dumb enough to be in that situation. Hsien-ko's good matchups in this game are: really bad players, pheonix, dark pheonix, Hulk.
akuma is a MUCH better character all around, but Hsien ko is better in one matchup.

Hsien-Ko can't catch Phoenix at all though. Phoenix can play keep away with projectiles which shuts down her approach. All gong does is make the Phoenix's projectile explode on impact which isn't all that helpful. Armor isn't useful since all that does is make Phoenix not rushdown and play keep away some more which wastes meter and still puts her in a disadvantage. Akuma's supers and mobility makes the fight much easier compared to Hsien-Ko.

As for Wesker, I don't find him all that predictable, especially paired with an assist. Requiring an assist isn't a huge problem considering if he's the only one on the team, he's fine because of X Factor. I think he's one of the best due to mobility, mixups, high health, able to DHC trick both ways (pretty sure he can start the trick, I could be wrong), and high damage without need of meter.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Wesker can start the DHC trick, but only off of cancelling his command throw. Not that useful.

It seems like people don't realize how few options Wesker has. He can only really do 4 things; Dash in cr.A; dash in command grab; shoot his gun; and teleport. Gun shot to teleport is punishable for free (even on HIT) unless the Wesker has an an assist covering him. Same for raw teleport. His crouching A has a lot of blockstun, so its easy to advancing guard. Command throw is ****, but he has to get in and convince you to stay still for a second.

Now, compare those number of options to a character like Dante. God I love dante.
Wesker is a really solid character, but I wouldn't put him top 5. Probly top 8.

Also, you guys that aren't having fun with X-factor aren't doing it right. Sit down in training mode with X-factored characters, the combos it opens up are amazing. I'm not talking "My usual BnB is now x2 damage, yay", I'm talking "My usual BnB now has 12 aerial moves before my launcher, yay".

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
You could have been less vague and actually bothered to draw a comparison to support your argument versus assuming we all know exactly how your thought process works. Now, I would advise that you stop posting in a condescending manner.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
What are you talking about exactly? And why are you on my *** so much lately? Chill the **** out.

And I see no rule saying I can't post in a condencing matter, so why do you care?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I was referring to this:

And I care because it doesn't add anything to the discussion and could potentially incite hostility.
Why would it? Is melee players gonna start attacking... THE MELEE PLAYER??? lol

As much as I like L-canceling (I really like L-canceling) I have to agree with the people that says it adds little depth, you always want to L-cancel, there's no other reason to l-cancel you just do it to do it. There's no reason to not l-cancel either. It does add some depth though, like using your shield to mess with someones timing.

But my point was that XF may be stupid, but it adds a lot more depth than L-canceling. I don't really know why I had to explain this out because is pretty much common knowledge.

I shouldn't have to explain the many things XF can do, but do you want me to do that too... ?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wesker can start the DHC trick, but only off of cancelling his command throw. Not that useful.
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't remember the exact move, so I guess it really is useless to start the DHC trick with him.
Gun shot to teleport is punishable for free (even on HIT) unless the Wesker has an an assist covering him. Same for raw teleport.
Really? I know a raw teleport or a whiffed gun to teleport is punishable, but when I tested it after the gun to L/H teleport on block and hit I couldn't punish it.
I tested it with Magneto though and his crouch light is too slow to punish a gun to light teleport. I also couldn't punish Wesker's H teleport followup on block and hit either with Mags.

I don't have the guide though so I don't know which characters I should test it against that have the fastest normals.

Edit: Scratch that, I can punish the Light teleport follow up after gun. I don't know how to punish the H teleport follow up on block/hit though, but I'll take your word for it.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Hsien-Ko can't catch Phoenix at all though. Phoenix can play keep away with projectiles which shuts down her approach. All gong does is make the Phoenix's projectile explode on impact which isn't all that helpful. Armor isn't useful since all that does is make Phoenix not rushdown and play keep away some more which wastes meter and still puts her in a disadvantage. Akuma's supers and mobility makes the fight much easier compared to Hsien-Ko.
Hsien-Ko is absolutely worthless against Phoenix (and most of the roster). I only lose to Hsien-Ko when I rush her, which isn't the smartest thing to do. If Phoenix hangs back and does nothing but run away, spam projectiles, and teleport all over the place, Hsien-Ko doesn't have the tools to do anything about it.

Top Bottom