• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Because Capcom ****ed up, and made the one thing toning her down able to be limited by an already game-breaking mechanic. >_>

_Dice

Smash Ace
I'm a stern believer that normals that cihp dramatically increases aggressive play and pressure and keeps overly defensive play to a minimum without the need of employing multiple/many other methods to create aggressive play.
this game already favors aggression, pushing it further towards agression would decrease the viability as a competitive game. This is the reason alot of people dislike X factor, because it puts too much power to kill in the hands of the agressor, however very few people dislike the health regen + chip reduction aspects, and if X factor was ONLY that, we'd see alot less complaints.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I just think it'd be silly when there are other means of building meter easily (aerial exchange) and plus, I think if a meter used for augments and attacks that are more often than not very useful for that character/ his/her team that attacks at least connect ofr said meter to build.

Either way, I don't care much for its inclusion or not, it's just the first thing I thought of that they took out, haha.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Occam's Razor.

If you're too ******** to grasp why all normals shouldn't do chip damage (especially in a game LIKE MARVEL), you deserve a ******** answer.

Smooth Criminal
Bull ****ing ****. Get over yourself.

There are both pros and cons of normals doing chip damage.

If you're to ****ing ******** to grasp that these pros and cons can easily be tweaked and altered in a fashion to fit marvel or any fighting game at that, you need to shut up and learn to see without your coke bottle glasses, look a bit deeper.

this game already favors aggression, pushing it further towards agression would decrease the viability as a competitive game. This is the reason alot of people dislike X factor, because it puts too much power to kill in the hands of the agressor, however very few people dislike the health regen + chip reduction aspects, and if X factor was ONLY that, we'd see alot less complaints.
That's the thing. X Factor puts too much power in the hand of the aggressor. I believe the game is aggressive yes, but how much it's pushed towards more aggression before it's competitive viability is decreased is rather unknown. Based of your wording, you make it seem like MvC3 is at the peak point of aggression where anything more would make it worse.

And even if that's the case, aggressive attributes can be balanced out, such as reducing chip on supers and specials, but introducing minor/minuscule chip on normals or reducing meter gain on exchanges and introducing meter gain on whiffs.

There are a plethora of methods in which things can be shifted around to improve the quality of the game.

_Dice

Smash Ace

If you're to ****ing ******** to grasp that these pros and cons can easily be tweaked and altered in a fashion to fit marvel or any fighting game at that, you need to shut up and learn to see without your coke bottle glasses, look a bit deeper.

That's the thing. X Factor puts too much power in the hand of the aggressor. I believe the game is aggressive yes, but how much it's pushed towards more aggression before it's competitive viability is decreased is rather unknown. Based of your wording, you make it seem like MvC3 is at the peak point of aggression where anything more would make it worse.

And even if that's the case, aggressive attributes can be balanced out, such as reducing chip on supers and specials, but introducing minor/minuscule chip on normals or reducing meter gain on exchanges and introducing meter gain on whiffs.

There are a plethora of methods in which things can be shifted around to improve the quality of the game.
given MVC3's strategic decision making when it comes to team building, yeah it is at or beyond the point of agression being a negative influence on the game.
with the DHC trick or one of the top 3 anchors being required to win in tournaments and having X factor make such a difference (and not defensively).

but increasing defensive options may not be the answer as we have yet to have really strong blockers appearing. and until we see the two style of players clash in tournaments consistantly that decision cannot be made.

yeah we tried to play before, it failed to join and then a few days later i misplaced my mvc3. :(

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's really irrelevant to dark phoenix honestly, her health is so low that if you can actually get a hit that you can combo off she's immediately dead cause there's pretty much nobody that can't do 500,000 in a single combo, granted whether or not meter is required depends on the character, but if you pop dark phoenix you should have meter.

Her power is derived from her fantastic damage potential, ability to do tons of chip damage, and first and formost her fantasic control game that makes it near impossible to actually get a hit in.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm starting just dislike X-Factor at this point. I don't enjoy watching it being used as such an amazing comeback factor in tourneys, to be perfectly honest. I don't enjoy winning because of it.

I really believe it needs a nerf.

Btw, how do you beat Tron assist? When does she become vulnerable?

:phone:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Haggar Assist beats tron assist. Just use invul attacks like Crawler Assault
I definitely JUST did that and it didn't work. I think the flame outlasted my invincibility frames.

I dunno if Joe's Mach Speed works, though. Does she lose invulnerability after her flame is done?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I just lost to a friend of mine who's spamming it for me while laying She-Hulk pressure.

I knew it like...countered rushdown, but God dammit.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Tron Bonne's assist is vulnerable to low attacks. Stay crouched.
this plus if it's spammed it's predictable, and tron is vulnerable coming in and from behind and from low, the only reason she seems invulnerable is the flame is a projectile with high durability and medium priority. so not many things go through it. though you can counter it like it's a projectile.

What is your team matador.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'll host one if enough people are interested. Might want a chatroom so we have something to do between rounds.

EDIT: Just made one. Both platforms, feel free to use it. Minato, if you could add that to the front page, I would appreciate it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Nerd insults? On a video game forum? That's kind of lame.

And it's not as easy as you think. That's why most traditional 2-D fighters are pretty hidebound when it comes to base mechanics such as that. You throw something like that into Marvel and it just becomes a race to see who can pressure somebody into blockstrings the longest (and, as you can clearly see in Marvel, more than one character has a way to get around the advancing guard mechanic, so blockstrings could possibly persist indefinitely). As the game works now, you could spam assists to try and get him off of you while you're blocking. Well, he could very well do the same, and then it becomes a buncha people popping in and out, in and out, trying to dissuade the other guy from hitting you at all this whole time. You could throw in other things to mitigate this, but then it becomes a question of balancing that (duration, requirements, etc.), and this and that and this and that. Unless you have some kind of convoluted game mechanic in mind that goes beyond X-Factor's utility, odds are that every game that has everybody's normals chip is just going to devolve into who gets close and hits first. Then we'll have to go back playing Kumite on the Atari.

I'm just speaking of MvC3. I could probably explain why chip on normals would be bad for other fighters, too.

On that note:

whyumadtho?

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Why don't you actually get better first before calling for nerfs?
Can't stress this enough. People always want to take the easy route now instead of spend a little more time (the game's been out for only 2 months) on dealing with something they find difficult.
I'll host one if enough people are interested. Might want a chatroom so we have something to do between rounds.

EDIT: Just made one. Both platforms, feel free to use it. Minato, if you could add that to the front page, I would appreciate it.
Cool, I'll add it to the first post. I might be on PSN later tonight when I have free time.

As for the whole thing about wanting normals to do chip, I really really really disagree about wanting normals to do chip.
The game isn't even all that defensive and I don't see why we should give rushdown characters even more benefits while trying to open someone up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
this plus if it's spammed it's predictable, and tron is vulnerable coming in and from behind and from low, the only reason she seems invulnerable is the flame is a projectile with high durability and medium priority. so not many things go through it. though you can counter it like it's a projectile.

What is your team matador.
Okay, cool. That helps a ton, thanks.

My team is: Vjoe(a)/Spidey(a)/Wolverine(y)

Yeah, no cohesion at all really. I literally just picked 3 characters I like and forced them to kinda work for each other.

Haven't really needed to change it yet, lol...I have been fooling around with Spidey/Wesker/Sent, but I haven't gotten very serious with them yet.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Okay, cool. That helps a ton, thanks.

My team is: Vjoe(a)/Spidey(a)/Wolverine(y)

Yeah, no cohesion at all really. I literally just picked 3 characters I like and forced them to kinda work for each other.

Haven't really needed to change it yet, lol...I have been fooling around with Spidey/Wesker/Sent, but I haven't gotten very serious with them yet.

VJ's crouching heavy or medium should be able to get under the flames easily. while wolverine will get shut down by it unless you cross them up as they are calling the assist. your best bet is to use web glide to GTFO when you feel the assist is coming, and to always wall jump out of the corner as spidey.

Just remember tron/shulks mixup game, shulk's command grab can set up some damned if you do damned if you don't scenerios, however you DO take less damage just getting hit with the flame than getting grabbed. so throw out a bunch of light attacks in a worst case scenerio.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I dunno if I timed it wrong, but I tried doing Vjoe's crouching Heavy a few times but I'd usually get hit (not trade) by the assist.

Still trying different things...Spidey's crouching heavy looks promising when spaced right...

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Phoenix, Deadpool, and Iron Man look to be a very promising team combination. Good games, Savon. Your anti-Phoenix strategy has greatly improved. I need to work on my Iron Man combos.

Once Serris gets 5 bars the fight is over

Not quite. I think you killed Dark Phoenix a few times.

Savon

Smash Ace
Dorm is my only character that can stop DP, and She-Hulk has to be alive for it to work. Still trying to improve my defense. Whenever you teleport is it even worth it to block? Or should I just run away instead.
I also need to work on a good order for my characters. Still workin on it. Eff you and all of you teams.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Running away might just get you backed up into a corner, which would put you at a severe disadvantage, given the assists I'm using. Use an Advancing Guard. For your order, I think you have it right with She-Hulk on point. I'm just a bit worried that Chris may be dragging you down. I didn't have much of a problem getting past him. Try replacing him with Deadpool.

Savon

Smash Ace
I am trying to use She-Hulks anti-air grabs on your Pheonix, but those effing fireballs always mess it up and make me afraid to do anything. Btw that draw we had was AMAZING!!!

I am working on something with Dormmamu where I DHC into his stalking fire while my opponent is helpless in the air. Even if they block it it holds them in the air long enough for me to spam purification which will either rack me up a crapload of reg damage or chip damage. I actually managed to pull it off once against your Wolverine if you remember. I am still iffy about Chris too, but it is a lot harder than I expected picking a 3rd character that does not hog meter. I kinda like Spencer, but his damage is so meh....most of the other battery characters are *****d out people who just plain bore me. Storm is still a possibility maybe. This is a BIG effing deal, but nonetheless I have been having a lot of fun playing you guys.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I am trying to use She-Hulks anti-air grabs on your Pheonix, but those effing fireballs always mess it up and make me afraid to do anything. Btw that draw we had was AMAZING!!!
:troll:

That draw was easily the most impressive thing I've ever seen in-game. It's the only double K.O. I've seen, too.

I am working on something with Dormmamu where I DHC into his stalking fire while my opponent is helpless in the air. Even if they block it it holds them in the air long enough for me to spam purification which will either rack me up a crapload of reg damage or chip damage. I actually managed to pull it off once against your Wolverine if you remember. I am still iffy about Chris too, but it is a lot harder than I expected picking a 3rd character that does not hog meter. I kinda like Spencer, but his damage is so meh....most of the other battery characters are *****d out people who just plain bore me. Storm is still a possibility maybe. This is a BIG effing deal, but nonetheless I have been having a lot of fun playing you guys.
Yeah, you pretty much annihilated Wolverine with that set-up. If I'm using my Phoenix/Wolverine/Sentinel team, don't let me back you into a corner. Hyper Sentinel Force + Phoenix Rage + Fatal Claw = DEATH.

Storm is a bit more difficult to work with than a lot of characters, but she has some impressive damage capabilities. Thing is, I've never seen her excel without expending hyper bars. I still think you should give Deadpool a shot. He needs meter too, but if you back him up with the right assist, he can build it very quickly. His OTG capabilities are great, too.

And try Phoenix. I dare you.

Savon

Smash Ace
If I suck at blocking DP will literally be the most dead weight character ever. I checked her out for a lil bit, but she is just not my style....I think my combos are decent. I just need to work on some of the small things first in order to start really winning

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Nerd insults? On a video game forum? That's kind of lame.

And it's not as easy as you think. That's why most traditional 2-D fighters are pretty hidebound when it comes to base mechanics such as that. You throw something like that into Marvel and it just becomes a race to see who can pressure somebody into blockstrings the longest (and, as you can clearly see in Marvel, more than one character has a way to get around the advancing guard mechanic, so blockstrings could possibly persist indefinitely). As the game works now, you could spam assists to try and get him off of you while you're blocking. Well, he could very well do the same, and then it becomes a buncha people popping in and out, in and out, trying to dissuade the other guy from hitting you at all this whole time. You could throw in other things to mitigate this, but then it becomes a question of balancing that (duration, requirements, etc.), and this and that and this and that. Unless you have some kind of convoluted game mechanic in mind that goes beyond X-Factor's utility, odds are that every game that has everybody's normals chip is just going to devolve into who gets close and hits first. Then we'll have to go back playing Kumite on the Atari.
Firstly. Lame? You called me ********. **** off. You shouldnt be judging the level of insults period.

Secondly. I never claimed any form of difficulty in any of my posts. I didn't say it'd be easy, real easy, hard, hard as ****, so so, or anything.

I'm not going to dive into theorycraft about normals doing chip in Marvel because there are literally ZERO attributes on normals doing chip that we have ZERO clue what the outcome would be. I really dont even know why you're trying to theorycraft something that has ZERO attributes/variables set in place, but whatever.

You don't really understand what I'm saying either. I'm not even theorycrafting. All I've said is that the inclusion of a mechanic can be tweaked in a way in addition to everytihng else so that it fits and works.

That's it.

I'm done.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
SC's problem is a blocking loop?

do you build meter while getting hit in block? if so you could just hyper out of it

_Dice

Smash Ace
SC's problem is a blocking loop?

do you build meter while getting hit in block? if so you could just hyper out of it
you build about 1/3 the meter when the player being attacked blocking (and same for the defender)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Tron assist's invulnerability actually goes away as soon as her flame comes out, its just getting around the damn flame thats difficult. A lot of characters can slide under it (deadpool, Jill, Trish).

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I think I'm going to stick with Phoenix, Deadpool, and Iron Man. They seem to work really well together.

EDIT: PS3 lobby's up. Get in the chatroom.

Top Bottom