• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

kr3wman

Smash Master
I'm also not worried about tiers yet. I can feel some characters are better than others, but I also don't feel some of them are noticeably worst. While that hitsun/damage reset glitch worries me as to which characters we're going to see more...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Eddie Brock is the only Venom.

**** Gargan, **** Carnage, **** Fortunato, **** She-Venom, and especially **** Flash Thompson and Anti-Venom, wtf is Marvel even thinking?
anti-venom is awesome you shut your wh-re mouth

edit - if you surprisingly still disagree, think of it this way - anti-venom is designed to destroy all other symbiotes

also the toxin limited series was ****in awesome

symbiote tier list

top tier:
venom

high tier:
anti-venom
toxin

mid tier:

low tier:
carnage

bottom tier:
everything else

god tier:
carnage silver surfer

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just played a Phoenix who was willing to air camp me for entire matches.

I have absolutely no clue how to deal with that.

Chun's lightening legs are a ***** too.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj37uVZphXE

Sanford is the saltiest ***** I ever heard. Step your game up, fgt.
He speak the truth though. And he would still wax 80% of the people playing the game ***** including remix's bum ***. You can't be mad at him for getting frustrated at the ******** plethora of scrubby *** games that are coming out. The only one that didn't turn out to be really scrubby was SSF4. BB, Barlw, MvC3, etc, all scrubby.

And lol at the guy yelling "there were infinites" in the background when he was saying how Justin got comebacks with CABLE, SENTINEL, and CYKES. Cable and Sent NEVER do infinites. Cykes does very rarely. Unless you're talking about Mags (well, most mags go for the reset but w/e) or IM infinites are out of the question. MvC2 is not ****ing xmvsf.

I'm not mad though. I was expecting this game to be scrubby.

Atlus8

Smash Master
"New school games are ***. New school games are catered to the scrubs!"

I agree.

3S to SFIV
Melee to Brawl
MvC2 to MvC3

And I read a while ago that GG might head in that direction as well! Aksys did with BB, but that wasn't a sequel to GG!

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Brawl is the easiest, scrubbiest game ever created ever.

The only reason you would be any of us is because you know mus, but you have to learn mus in every fg so that doesn't make the game any less scrubbier. Execution in brawl is a joke. SDI is mad easy compared to melee, DACUS takes ten mins. to learn, same with momentum canceling, the games just scrubby. I'm 100% sure I could never beat you in brawl because you play the gayest character of all time and I would have to throw the tv out th window from rage.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Brawl is the easiest, scrubbiest game ever created ever.

The only reason you would be any of us is because you know mus, but you have to learn mus in every fg so that doesn't make the game any less scrubbier. Execution in brawl is a joke. SDI is mad easy compared to melee, DACUS takes ten mins. to learn, same with momentum canceling, the games just scrubby. I'm 100% sure I could never beat you in brawl because you play the gayest character of all time and I would have to throw the tv out th window from rage.
Everything that isn't Fox in Melee is easy to get the hang of. Playing Fox will give you arthritis. Wavedashing takes five minutes to learn if not less. SDI/DI is easy to learn in Melee. It takes one minute to learn L-Cancelling. Learning and putting effort in the game is not hard.

The game's just scrubby.

--

See what I did there?

I do not think Melee is scrubby. But by your definition of things being easy to learn, it might as well be. What fills the gap AFTER the techniques are learnt is mindgames and reading your opponents. That's the biggest part of Smash.

If what you say about Brawl being scrubby is true, Melee is a rather scrubby game in kind. :cool:

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
He speak the truth though. And he would still wax 80% of the people playing the game ***** including remix's bum ***. You can't be mad at him for getting frustrated at the ******** plethora of scrubby *** games that are coming out. The only one that didn't turn out to be really scrubby was SSF4. BB, Barlw, MvC3, etc, all scrubby.

And lol at the guy yelling "there were infinites" in the background when he was saying how Justin got comebacks with CABLE, SENTINEL, and CYKES. Cable and Sent NEVER do infinites. Cykes does very rarely. Unless you're talking about Mags (well, most mags go for the reset but w/e) or IM infinites are out of the question. MvC2 is not ****ing xmvsf.

I'm not mad though. I was expecting this game to be scrubby.
Which is why Triforce calls Remix the best player in Empire right now right?

And nah TvC isn't scrubby. It once again just isn't popular.

LOL @ SSF4 being called scrubby when lots of 3S is parrying ****. Listen to Ricky talk about 3S, man speaks the truth. HD Remix/ST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3S

^ That part also somewhat directed at Atlus.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Everything that isn't Fox in Melee is easy to get the hang of. Playing Fox will give you arthritis. Wavedashing takes five minutes to learn if not less. SDI/DI is easy to learn in Melee. It takes one minute to learn L-Cancelling. Learning and putting effort in the game is not hard.
What? Wow dude, it's extremely obvious you've never learned melee before. L cancel takes forever to get down consistently esp. with SHFFLing, WDing is hard as **** to use right and implement, not to mention it takes a hell of a lot longer than 5 mins. to learn to do it RIGHT (I'm not talking about those ugly *** "you can see half of the AD" wavedashes, I'm talkin perfect WDs). And SDI is not easy in melee, I'm serious, that is the dumbest statement I've heard about melee in a while. Not calling you dumb for saying that though. Falcon's easy? Falco? Marth? ICs? Yoshi? Ness? I'll agree on Jiggs and Sheik being easy but those characters are not easy.

edit: ^^ Remix never does **** and never will. Just wait. Sanford will most likely pass him. IDK about Yipes though, he's not lookin too good.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I took my PS3 to play with some friends today and I actually beat my friend's Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man or Spider-Man team a couple of times. Finally, I'm making progress in the game!

I'd like to see any of you beat me in Brawl.

Scrubby game my ***.
5 MM at Genesis 2. :yeahboi:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm reluctant to start playing this competitively because of how much **** this game gets for being eclipsed by MvC2. Dunno if it'd be worth it.
:(:(:(

Why can't they make a new, GOOD fighting game ffs?

LOL, see me Kuraudo! Who d'you play, Sonic? Ask Speed about me! :awesome:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
LOL @ SSF4 being called scrubby when lots of 3S is parrying ****. Listen to Ricky talk about 3S, man speaks the truth. HD Remix/ST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3S

^ That part also somewhat directed at Atlus.
Don't take everything Ricky says and put it on a pedestal. He complained that 3rd Strike is cheap because you lose so much health from being punished by a parry or low forward to super. Same problem happens in his favorite game, CvS2, where the same thing can happen by roll cancels into Custom Combos.

And SSFIV is way scrubby compared to Super Turbo and 3rd Strike.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Don't take everything Ricky says and put it on a pedestal. He complained that 3rd Strike is cheap because you lose so much health from being punished by a parry or low forward to super. Same problem happens in his favorite game, CvS2, where the same thing can happen by roll cancels into Custom Combos.

Not to mention K-groovers can JD into a ******** amount of damage.

And SSFIV is way scrubby compared to Super Turbo and 3rd Strike.
See imo it depends on the character. Ryu, Bison, Guile, Rog, etc are hella scrubby and I hate them. Viper, Duds, Sakura, Gen, Fuerte (the non-random ones that do all of that crazy RS ****), Makoto, Guy, etc aren't scrubby at all and are all pretty damn difficult to play.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
What? Wow dude, it's extremely obvious you've never learned melee before. L cancel takes forever to get down consistently esp. with SHFFLing, WDing is hard as **** to use right and implement, not to mention it takes a hell of a lot longer than 5 mins. to learn to do it RIGHT (I'm not talking about those ugly *** "you can see half of the AD" wavedashes, I'm talkin perfect WDs). And SDI is not easy in melee, I'm serious, that is the dumbest statement I've heard about melee in a while. Not calling you dumb for saying that though. Falcon's easy? Falco? Marth? ICs? Yoshi? Ness? I'll agree on Jiggs and Sheik being easy but those characters are not easy.

edit: ^^ Remix never does **** and never will. Just wait. Sanford will most likely pass him. IDK about Yipes though, he's not lookin too good.
And DACUS, buffer, BDACUS, character-specific techniques are easy to master and use, I assume?

Disclaimer: not gonna get worked up on a personal level since I know you ain't calling me dumb. but hey, defend myself I will. /yoda

I was talking about the basics of Melee. And yes, I have learned Melee. Learning Melee is no different from learning what Brawl has to offer. It's what you DO with what you've learned that counts. Just because you can DACUS perfectly in Brawl and SHFFL consistently in Melee doesn't put you above the rest. It's how you apply it that counts.

Fully mastering characters in Brawl is no easier then mastering characters in Melee, for the different techniques that are utilized in both games. You gotta know when to pick your fights with Lucas on wavebouncing tactics, read dodges for those proper grabs and keeping your combos going.

Predicting how an opponent techs in Melee so you can get that handy stomp with Falcon? No different from waiting for the air dodge on a Brawl character to keep your own **** going. In principle of what we call "combos" in the Smash games. And even then, with so many options to fight back against someone on the offensive, it's a trade-off on HOW you'll keep the pressure on who you face.

Take for example, you're Marth in Melee and I'm Ganon (I main him lol). What are you going to do? Will you dash dance back and forth, lay the offensive on me with a grab game? Or are you just going to predict I'll dodge that and punish from there? Afraid to FAir on the chance I've got the shield up and I'll UAir you? Or maybe I'm afraid that using my mexican truck (lol Down B) will backfire despite how it seems to work in the right situations? Mix-ups and possibilities, it's reading your opponents and guessing right in most cases when techs become involved that create your combos.

Now look at Brawl. Again, you're Marth and I'm now Sonic. What are you going to do? Will you pressure me with the buffed Side B, eat my shield a bit with that but not finish it all? From there, will I stay in the shield, roll, side dodge, or attack back? If you FAir at me with spacing, will I FAir you right back?

When you have me off the stage, do I keep contesting it or recover high? It's up to you to keep the pressure on and continue your combo from there with reading my dodging methods or lack thereof.

--

My point? For both Melee and Brawl, you can know the basics and learn how something works fast. But actually being GOOD with said skills often takes a lot more time to properly impliment them into matches.

You can use Sentinel and get an overhead to start a combo or Crouch Medium for that very easy to see start, but if that's all you can do then you gotta step your game up. Is Marvel vs. Capcom 3 easier then Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is? Yes, it is. But what seperates the men from the boys is how you use what you know to take you to the top. That's why Justin Wong is still that damn good and winning as he is. It's the player, not the game. He pushed the envelope to beat what many hate about MvC3 with Sentinel and Dark Phoenix and crap.

If Sanford ups his game and wins, it's not because this game is *** and played for scrubs. It's because he's that damn good and put effort to learn how the games mechanics worked and then, as a player, utilized them in the proper moments that give him the win.

Easier access doesn't make a game less hardcore. The players are what make a game hardcore, and how far they can take it.

5 MM at Genesis 2. :yeahboi:
After WHOBO 3 if I decide to go, aw yea my first MM! You're so on.

:(:(:(

Why can't they make a new, GOOD fighting game ffs?

LOL, see me Kuraudo! Who d'you play, Sonic? Ask Speed about me! :awesome:
XD I'll be sure to ask about you, or just take whatever word you have for it. Speed's a cool guy.

KillLock

Smash Lord
Brawl takes skill because it has a few fundamentals; Spacing, Reads and DI. The ability to space correctly helps you avoid damage and also apply pressure safely. Reads help you produce damage from punishing your opponents mistakes or avoid damage from making the right decision defensively. DI helps you live longer or get out of multi-hits quicker and even helps you avoid killing moves like spikes by landing on the stage.

Brawl in it's simplicity results in more options defensively, which makes more options offensively. You need reads to accomplish strings, instead of memorization and repetition to accomplish button combination's for top notch damage, however Brawl does have a few combo's so button memorization is still present at lower percent.

MU experience is a part of the game that takes memorization as well and is a very important aspect in any fighting game.

You keep making reads, you keep dishing out damage and avoiding it.
You keep spacing, you keep avoiding damage and applying pressure.
You keep DI'ing, you keep living longer and taking less damage.

All fighting games share these same aspects, aside from DI. Things like memorization are implemented more in other fighters. Who implements all of these better is better at the game, everyone strives for perfection in competition.

Playing with your head has always been what separates the men from the boys in fighters, if you can't agree with this and still call Brawl a scrubby game, you're just a hypocrite.

To each their own. Just thought I'd shine some light for people that are still amateurs to fighters and feel they need to bash games they can't compete in.

Peace.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love Melee much more than Brawl competitively. I did find Brawl fun casually and I did enter tourneys for both games and tried to get better at them. While I wouldn't say that Brawl is flat out "scrubby" compared to Melee period, I do feel that it lacks the same amount of depth since it feels more restricted.

People say that since Brawl is slower, it has more mind games. I think Melee has the same amount of mind games since the same options are there, and with Melee's engine, there's an extra layer of mind games.

Of course this is personal opinion so I'm not saying Brawl or whatever is scrubby and such. Especially since I haven't played it as much as others and quit since 09. I have nothing against people that like Brawl more than Melee. I just enjoy Melee's speed and fun tech skill since it's so fun to improve on those time to time. Improving my skill in Brawl involves playing other people which I don't have the time or patience. I don't play people much in Melee anymore but it's fun beating up the CPU and doing crazy stuff with Fox.

For SSFIV, I just think they made the game way too forgiving. Inputs are really lenient, Ultras feel uneeded as a comeback mechanic since we already have supers, and hit confirming is so simple since you can easily just link moves and hit confirm from there.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Wow, I had no clue Spideman's Crawler Assault had invincibility on startup. Cut right through Ryo spam friendly super.
Ryo? Art of Fighting characters are in the game now?

The only one that didn't turn out to be really scrubby was SSF4.
Super Shortcut Fighter 4? Yeah that's not scrubby at all even though you don't actually have to do a DP motion in order for a DP to come out.

See imo it depends on the character. Ryu, Bison, Guile, Rog, etc are hella scrubby and I hate them. Viper, Duds, Sakura, Gen, Fuerte (the non-random ones that do all of that crazy RS ****), Makoto, Guy, etc aren't scrubby at all and are all pretty damn difficult to play.
High execution characters aren't scrubby? Low tier characters take skill to be good with? Wow, what an amazing set of observations. That's almost as brilliant at the other observation on LGBT culture you made.

I'll reply tomorrow. I'm watching Toy Story 3, I can't let this get in the way of this great (and very sad) movie.
Toy Story 3 got really dark towards the end.

And why are we talking about Smash in this thread? Seriously.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Super Shortcut Fighter 4? Yeah that's not scrubby at all even though you don't actually have to do a DP motion in order for a DP to come out.
Or try to do an FADC ultra and get an EX whatever. :mad:
High execution characters aren't scrubby? Low tier characters take skill to be good with? Wow, what an amazing set of observations. That's almost as brilliant at the other observation on LGBT culture you made.
He man, I'm just statin facts. It's not liike I'm telling yall something new. I'm just sayin not all of SSF4 is scrubby.

Toy Story 3 got really dark towards the end.
Extremely. In incinerator scene is a powerfully sadistic scene. I think that scene showed that this movie was made for the 90s kids that grew up with the movies because no kid would understand how emotional that was. That one and the Andy giving them away scenes were pretty sad.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Woah, woah! Change that major spoiler in the end sentence!

I went into Toy Story 3 completely unaware of anything that would happen and I was hit really hard. Stuff is uber sad. Like Clannad, sad.

Take for example, you're Marth in Melee and I'm Ganon (I main him lol). What are you going to do? Will you dash dance back and forth, lay the offensive on me with a grab game and hope I don't Bair? Or are you just going to predict I'll dodge that and punish from there? Afraid to FAir on the chance I've got A Bair? Or maybe I'm afraid that using my Bair will backfire despite how it seems to work in every situation possible? Mix-ups and possibilities, it's reading your opponents and guessing right in most cases when techs become involved that create your combos.

-_-

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

For SSFIV, I just think they made the game way too forgiving. Inputs are really lenient, Ultras feel uneeded as a comeback mechanic since we already have supers, and hit confirming is so simple since you can easily just link moves and hit confirm from there.

I'll give it to you on inputs. Going to Marvel, SSFIV spoiled me on inputs a little bit, but looking at my inputs in MvC3, it's not super strict either.

Ultras are not as big of a comeback mechanic people think it is. The only true exception is the Super version of Soul Satellite which was truly a get out of jail card and it's something you can't bait out like other Ultras. Also, you have characters like Viper and Fuerte that need their EX moves in order to be effective, so to have a big move stored somewhere else really helps.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ultras are not as big of a comeback mechanic people think it is. The only true exception is the Super version of Soul Satellite which was truly a get out of jail card and it's something you can't bait out like other Ultras. Also, you have characters like Viper and Fuerte that need their EX moves in order to be effective, so to have a big move stored somewhere else really helps.
I just hate the fact that just because I'm in the lead, I'm forced to not throw a fireball or else I'll end up losing most of my life.
It forces players to play differently after the opponent didn't have to work on getting their Ultra (excluding Focus Attacks of course).

I don't think Ultras are a huge game changer, I'm just saying it felt unnecessary. But so are parries. :laugh:

Edit: I also didn't like how Capcom tried to buff characters by Ultras sometimes. They could've made characters like Fuerte more solid instead of giving him a somewhat risky high damaging reversal Ultra.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just hate the fact that just because I'm in the lead, I'm forced to not throw a fireball or else I'll end up losing most of my life.
It forces players to play differently after the opponent didn't have to work on getting their Ultra (excluding Focus Attacks of course).

I don't think Ultras are a huge game changer, I'm just saying it felt unnecessary. But so are parries. :laugh:

Edit: I also didn't like how Capcom tried to buff characters by Ultras sometimes. They could've made characters like Fuerte more solid instead of giving him a somewhat risky high damaging reversal Ultra.
Depending on how you look at it, comeback mechanics allow the game to be less one-sided which can mean it's more fun, but YMMV. That being said, every Ultra except Super Soul Satelite can be baited out. If someone's expecting a fireball, why not bait it out and punish him for taking the bait.

Another example would be me baiting out DPs. I know that my opponent's gonna want to DP FADC Ultra so why not "satisfy" that demand? I would say Ultras emphasize the conditioning aspect of the game. The lack of this makes me like X-Factor less than Ultras.

But yeah, it would've been great if Fuerte was made more solid, but some of that happened in AE.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Anyone have tips on how to use Deadpool? I try to mix it up and wind up accidentally triggering moves almost every time I use him.

RENSXD

Smash Rookie
SO... I'm looking for some tournaments vids of MvC3 and is there something like smashboards but then MvC3? Thx

cutter

Smash Champion
Okay... even I'm starting to think Sentinel is dumb.

Did you know that Sent is one of the very few characters in this game that is able to punish Storm's Hailstorm on reaction? Thanks to Hard Drive's insane invincibility, Sent can do just that. Hard Drive also stuffs Ammy's Okami Shuffle, another relatively safe super.

Seriously, what more does this character need? And people keep saying that Sent is so free and gets hard-countered left and right.

Top Bottom