• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we want the most varied submissions, I'd suggest either an MMO or a MOBA. Both are big genres that inherently have a %$#@ton of characters, and there isn't a clear frontrunner (Aside from maybe Ahri for League of Legends, but even then I'm pretty sure there'd be some more oddball submissions). With FPS games I feel like it would just get dominated by Master Chief, or maybe Doomguy to a lesser extent.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If we want the most varied submissions, I'd suggest either an MMO or a MOBA. Both are big genres that inherently have a %$#@ton of characters, and there isn't a clear frontrunner (Aside from maybe Ahri for League of Legends, but even then I'm pretty sure there'd be some more oddball submissions). With FPS games I feel like it would just get dominated by Master Chief, or maybe Doomguy to a lesser extent.
Yeah, the MMO rep I had in mind was a Wakfu character. Believe it or not, Wakfu started out as an MMO, and the animated series was made to promote it. It's basically a reverse Lightning McQueen situation.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Are we voting for genre, and then characters in that genre, or things as a whole? I'd much prefer the second option, there will be a greater variety of choices.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Yeah, we know that we want FPS character so that westerner can be represented but how about MOBA game? Esports is a big gaming event in history up there above EVO and while that genre is only popular in certain part of Asia (like Korea and China) western really dominate the fanbase.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Would a tower defense game be an elligable genra like Plants vs Zombies for example

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Yeah, we know that we want FPS character so that westerner can be represented but how about MOBA game? Esports is a big gaming event in history up there above EVO and while that genre is only popular in certain part of Asia (like Korea and China) western really dominate the fanbase.
I'd like it for League of Legends. Not sure what else is a really good pick though. Feels like if we're breaking the MOBA barrier down it should be a big series and idk if anyone can touch it. Granted there's a ton of good picks from LOL so that would take care of some of that

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'd like it for League of Legends. Not sure what else is a really good pick though. Feels like if we're breaking the MOBA barrier down it should be a big series and idk if anyone can touch it. Granted there's a ton of good picks from LOL so that would take care of some of that
Wdym, LoL is a big series, we could discuss the character later when it get chosen.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Wdym, LoL is a big series, we could discuss the character later when it get chosen.
Right, that's what i was saying. League is big but it feels like it's that or bust for the catagory. I guess someone could argue Dota but its a distant 2nd to League

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Right, that's what i was saying. League is big but it feels like it's that or bust for the catagory. I guess someone could argue Dota but its a distant 2nd to League
I mean if we bring up Dota more like how we bring up Doomguy and not just Chief it will still possible, it probably the matter of which one is more familiar with the series to lead the conversation. Smash kind of popularity scaling is kinda odd.

Last edited:

ImpostaWithDrip

Smash Rookie
Would a tower defense game be an elligable genra like Plants vs Zombies for example
I'd say so, think it's a genre that could be worthy of being represented. I'm not too familiar of other big tower defense games outside of Plants vs Zombies however, so not sure what other big series in the genre would stick out.

Partially related, but if a Plants vs Zombie character were to make it in I'd wonder who it'd be. I've seen my fair share of Crazy Dave movesets, and I def think he'd be the best canidate, but I also feel like Peashooter could have potential if you bring in elements from the GW Games for parts of its moveset.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'd say so, think it's a genre that could be worthy of being represented. I'm not too familiar of other big tower defense games outside of Plants vs Zombies however, so not sure what other big series in the genre would stick out.

Partially related, but if a Plants vs Zombie character were to make it in I'd wonder who it'd be. I've seen my fair share of Crazy Dave movesets, and I def think he'd be the best canidate, but I also feel like Peashooter could have potential if you bring in elements from the GW Games for parts of its moveset.
I was thinking of having one of those buckethead zombies have a flower pot with a peashooter on top so we can represent both plants and zombies

Example:
Screenshot_20210617-203021_Slides.jpg

(Behold my Epic Smash Renders)

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed Indie Character didn't win, but if it had to lose, I'm glad it was to Unrepresented Genre.

From my point of view, the most prominent/iconic of the unrepresented genres would be FPS and Puzzle. FPS would have the characters most easily translatable into a fighting game due to being combat-focused (Master Chief, Heavy, Doom Slayer, Gordon Freeman seem like the best picks to me), but I'd honestly prefer a puzzle game character since that genre would (generally) require less toning down of violence, involve more creative thinking to design, and fit in better with the light-hearted majority of the Smash cast. That said, puzzle games don't tend to focus on characters a lot--the only viable candidate I can come up with is Arle.

(In terms of personal preference, I do have a soft spot for the potential of a roguelike character, though.)

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Ooh I learned that the pvz series not only has tower defense but fps and card battle under its belt so it has 3 of the unrepresented genres, just some food for thought

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Alright
I'm disappointed Indie Character didn't win, but if it had to lose, I'm glad it was to Unrepresented Genre.

From my point of view, the most prominent/iconic of the unrepresented genres would be FPS and Puzzle. FPS would have the characters most easily translatable into a fighting game due to being combat-focused (Master Chief, Heavy, Doom Slayer, Gordon Freeman seem like the best picks to me), but I'd honestly prefer a puzzle game character since that genre would (generally) require less toning down of violence, involve more creative thinking to design, and fit in better with the light-hearted majority of the Smash cast. That said, puzzle games don't tend to focus on characters a lot--the only viable candidate I can come up with is Arle.

(In terms of personal preference, I do have a soft spot for the potential of a roguelike character, though.)
All things considered, there are a good bit of puzzle game reps but I think if the genre was chosen, it would be redundant to make a submission phase honestly given how little room for leeway there is.

Your big name options would be Arle, Layton, Chell and maybe Bomberman. I'm debating if the last one would count. It would be more efficient to just start a poll from the get-go whereas with FPS, there is a bit more room for fluidity. Off the top of my head I could see people submitting Master Chief, Doomguy, Gordon Freeman, any of the TF2 classes, some CoD rep, Overwatch, Apex Legends and I'm sure there's more (let's be real, the first two would probably win.)

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh we're selecting genres first. Arle for another day! :(
Not necessarily. It’s one reason why we are doing a discussion first to test the waters and see what works. How things will progress will depend on the points brought up between now and later.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Are we still using the "Has to be on a Nintendo system" criteria because I think that would disqualify LoL unless I'm missing a release.
Master Chief might be disqualified too if him appearing as a texture on Minecraft for Switch doesn't count.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Are we still using the "Has to be on a Nintendo system" criteria because I think that would disqualify LoL unless I'm missing a release.
Master Chief might be disqualified too if him appearing as a texture on Minecraft for Switch doesn't count.
They have a spin off game called Ruined King due to release later this year.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Wasnt halo 4 on wii u

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, if we do an FPS rep I'm 75% sure most people would just rally around Master Chief. If the Minecraft and Fortnite cameos aren't enough, they'd probably default to Doomguy instead. That being said, Doom's infamous violence might turn some people off (Though I will say that I, personally don't have a problem with it), and it might help diversify the selection.

Actually, is Master Chief considered eligible? Do we count those crossover appearances, or do we want a Halo title on the Switch like how Joker at least has Q2? This could heavily affect the voting process.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I'll try to write up an essay for my submission some time soon

Sul sul!

EDIT: I'd like to put forth simulator games such as The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, e.t.c.
Isn't the Sims a... Social Simulation Game? Then in that case, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it would be disqualified considering Animal Crossing fills that genre already. Please refer to the lists I gave to check which genres are disqualified.

If the Sims fills any other genre please let me know. I'm not that well-versed in the series apart from that one time my sister was obsessed with it, then suddenly became depressed when one of her cats in the game got stuck in a tile and, due to the cat glitching and not being able to move, my sis couldn't feed her. Sadly, all of her animals had to be taken away by animal protection services because of this. She didn't really touch the games for quite a while after that traumatic event...

Y'know, if we do an FPS rep I'm 75% sure most people would just rally around Master Chief. If the Minecraft and Fortnite cameos aren't enough, they'd probably default to Doomguy instead. That being said, Doom's infamous violence might turn some people off (Though I will say that I, personally don't have a problem with it), and it might help diversify the selection.

Actually, is Master Chief considered eligible? Do we count those crossover appearances, or do we want a Halo title on the Switch like how Joker at least has Q2? This could heavily affect the voting process.
Considering this is supposed to be a big last announcement at a Direct, we are thinking of accepting submissions for Master Chief. He does least have some Nintendo presence in the form of Minecraft skins (though personally, I don't really count those but that's up for debate), just like how Cloud only had an appearance in a GBA Kingdom Hearts game and well, Theatrhythm. Though besides, like Cloud, we consider Master Chief way too big of a gaming icon to the point that it's a case where we can overlook the fact that he doesn't really have a major presence on Nintendo consoles, the fact that Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be in good working relations make his inclusion OK in our opinion.

Though, this isn't really set-in-stone yet, so we'd like to hear people's thoughts on this. This was also a major contributing factor as to why we wanted a Discussion Round, so thanks for bringing him up. We are aware of the fact that Master Chief seems to be a hot topic in the speculation scene at the moment, and we don't really want to end up with a roster influenced by and reflecting the current Smash speculation scene.

Though if you wanted to ask my opinion on it, I believe it's best to save Master Chief for DLC instead of base game, again, just like Cloud. Having such a huge third-party character in base game that doesn't really have that much connection to Nintendo is unprecedented and just kind of feels wrong in my opinion. It wouldn't really feel like we're developing a Smash game anymore, as the focus during base game has always been characters that are either Nintendo, or have quite strong ties to the company. But hey, there's always room to break that precedent and that's up for you guys to decide. Besides, I remember some people here bringing up the point that we've had pretty obvious picks so far, so it would be pretty ironic if we did end up adding Master Chief after all.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Everyone here is talking about first-person shooters and I don't want to interfere, but how about run and gun (original platform shooters; sub-genre of shoot 'em up on the list)? I mean, Ikari Warriors was one (plus moves from The King of Fighters), Contra (Bill/Lance would be epic; at least for a Mii Gunner costume with a Jungle remix), Gunstar Heroes and what I want to submit here, Metal Slug.

unnamed.png

Literally said, SNK is known for it's fighting games, but Metal Slug is loved for many reasons like it's humor, detailed pixel art, awesome music, etc. and has lots of potential such as stages (P.O.W.'s giving out items), assists (Hyakutaro), bosses (both stage/main; Allen O'Neil/Avatar of Evil/Rootmars) & other stuff (Mars People as a Smash Run enemy) when it comes to representation.

Obviously, Marco would be a playable character with many unique weapons (weapon switch/ammo gimmick?) and even a iconic SV-001 tank on his moveset with Tarma, Eri and Fio (possible Echo Fighter and Trevor/Nadia/Walter/Tyra joining in if things goes far enough) appearing as his alts, akin to Koopalings (Bowser Jr.) and Heroes (Eleven/Luminary).

Important Note: Oh, a franchise also has installments of other genres (besides a usual run-and-gun) such as strategy (Wars/old & new Tactics), RPG (elements were used in Infinity/Revolution), cards (Commander), tower defense (Defense/Attack/Infinity), third-person/action shooter (3D/Zero Online), etc.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Isn't the Sims a... Social Simulation Game? Then in that case, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it would be disqualified considering Animal Crossing fills that genre already. Please refer to the lists I gave to check which genres are disqualified.

If the Sims fills any other genre please let me know. I'm not that well-versed in the series apart from that one time my sister was obsessed with it, then suddenly became depressed when one of her cats in the game got stuck in a tile and, due to the cat glitching and not being able to move, my sis couldn't feed her. Sadly, all of her animals had to be taken away by animal protection services because of this. She didn't really touch the games for quite a while after that traumatic event...

Considering this is supposed to be a big last announcement at a Direct, we are thinking of accepting submissions for Master Chief. He does least have some Nintendo presence in the form of Minecraft skins (though personally, I don't really count those but that's up for debate), just like how Cloud only had an appearance in a GBA Kingdom Hearts game and well, Theatrhythm. Though besides, like Cloud, we consider Master Chief way too big of a gaming icon to the point that it's a case where we can overlook the fact that he doesn't really have a major presence on Nintendo consoles, the fact that Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be in good working relations make his inclusion OK in our opinion.

Though, this isn't really set-in-stone yet, so we'd like to hear people's thoughts on this. This was also a major contributing factor as to why we wanted a Discussion Round, so thanks for bringing him up. We are aware of the fact that Master Chief seems to be a hot topic in the speculation scene at the moment, and we don't really want to end up with a roster influenced by and reflecting the current Smash speculation scene.

Though if you wanted to ask my opinion on it, I believe it's best to save Master Chief for DLC instead of base game, again, just like Cloud. Having such a huge third-party character in base game that doesn't really have that much connection to Nintendo is unprecedented and just kind of feels wrong in my opinion. It wouldn't really feel like we're developing a Smash game anymore, as the focus during base game has always been characters that are either Nintendo, or have quite strong ties to the company. But hey, there's always room to break that precedent and that's up for you guys to decide. Besides, I remember some people here bringing up the point that we've had pretty obvious picks so far, so it would be pretty ironic if we did end up adding Master Chief after all.
I'd say the Sims is as similar to Animal Crossing as Doom is to Duck Hunt - conceptually similar but wildly different in execution. It's closer to something like Rollercoaster Tycoon gameplay wise as you have to manage an entire family, or even multiple, rather than one person, and there's next to no dialogue.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'd say the Sims is as similar to Animal Crossing as Doom is to Duck Hunt - conceptually similar but wildly different in execution. It's closer to something like Rollercoaster Tycoon gameplay wise as you have to manage an entire family, or even multiple, rather than one person, and there's next to no dialogue.
I think the point of the job is to get a character from a new genre completely. Expect Doomguy and Heavy submissions if FPS is the way we go despite there being a big difference between the two, just as an example of course.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone! We will have roughly few more hours of discussion! Once finished, we will proceeding with submissions!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I agree, Run-and-Guns also have a lot of potential. Metal Slug is great and my favorite, but there's also games like Contra, Cuphead, Ghosts n Goblins, and Earthworm Jim. (At least, Wikipedia tells me these games count as run and guns.)

Also, I disagree with the notion that the FPS genre would be hogged by Master Chief or Doomguy. While those characters are very popular in speculation, I think by opening our eyes to every eligible character in that genre-not just who's likely for Ultimate DLC-we suddenly have a lot more options.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One thing I failed to consider when voting is that this is a submission for a newcomer character for a Smash Direct. I know opinions vary on this but certain characters, like Chief, Doomslayer, or Dragonborn, seem more like E3 or DLC material due to the hype they generate. I am more in favor of low balling this nomination and going with the lesser hyped character and saving our hyper makers for when it counts. For that reason, while it’s nothing against these characters, I would far prefer giving our April Smash Direct third party slow to a series like Puyo Puyo, Contra, Dongan Ronpa, or another series that’s not considered a huge hitter in terms of speculation so that we can save them for E3 announcements or DLC to maximize profits.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So, are we deciding on a genre first then a fighter? If so will the genre will be decided with a vote? I think I'll submit physics instead of simulation if it is a vote. Most of the potential fightets from this genre originate from mobile games. Some examples of physics fighters are Red Bird, AiAi, and Bob from Human: Fall Flat. Classic Sonic may also qualify.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
One thing I failed to consider when voting is that this is a submission for a newcomer character for a Smash Direct. I know opinions vary on this but certain characters, like Chief, Doomslayer, or Dragonborn, seem more like E3 or DLC material due to the hype they generate. I am more in favor of low balling this nomination and going with the lesser hyped character and saving our hyper makers for when it counts. For that reason, while it’s nothing against these characters, I would far prefer giving our April Smash Direct third party slow to a series like Puyo Puyo, Contra, Dongan Ronpa, or another series that’s not considered a huge hitter in terms of speculation so that we can save them for E3 announcements or DLC to maximize profits.
Considering our track record, I fear that may not go as planned...

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Considering it's a long way to go before E3 and DLC with most of those slot probably relegated to 1st party character I could imagine everyone is eager to get them in as soon as possible..
My dude, the last character we added was DJ ****ing Octavio, what are you talking about
1st and 3rd party are different story altogether.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It’s something we probably should consider. I often get the idea that some submissions are made “just to make a submission” which is perfectly fine. That’s just the reality that comes with this type of format and that’s why we need to be smart on how we submit and vote. After coming to this conclusion, I wish I would have casted my vote for something that was a bit more appropriate like Niche Company.

We also need to keep in mind that, like Jill/Leon, this will close out a company from launch unless there’s an Echo opportunity later.

So, are we deciding on a genre first then a fighter? If so will the genre will be decided with a vote? I think I'll submit physics instead of simulation if it is a vote. Most of the potential fightets from this genre originate from mobile games.
This will become more evident as we get closer to submission time :)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Personally, I'd rather we just be able to submit any character from an unrepped genre, as all of them feel a bit too limited when restricting it to just themselves IMO.

Anyway, I'll also push for the worth of beat-em-ups here: they're a really fun genre that fits right in and I'd love to see repped. Haggar is unfortunately out of the running for now, but we still have picks like Axel, Kunio, the Lee Bros. and I guess sorta Kiryu. And all of them merit being in Smash IMO.

I'll also throw in a shout-out for shmups, as that lets me meme Opa-Opa into this game

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #126: Submit a Third Party Newcomer based on an Unrepped Genre

After a lengthy discussion with Infinite leadership, it was decided to forgo a voting round for which genre we will focus on and, instead, open up general submissions which includes the whole gambit of unrepped genres within video gaming. This list includes but is not limited to:
  • Puzzle
  • First-Person Shooter
  • Visual Novels
  • Beat 'em Up
  • Shoot 'em Ups/Bullet Hells/Run n' Gun
  • Board/Card Game
  • Space Sims
  • Pinball Game
  • Roguelikes/Roguelites
  • Open World RPG
  • Tower Defense
  • MOBA
  • Soulslikes
  • Party Game
  • 4X
  • MMORPG
The leadership team would also like to remind everyone that this fighter will be our closing fighter but we will need to make some things clear before submitting:
  • It will make an unique newcomer from the same company ineligible for launch. This not applied to an Echo fighter situation though.
  • This will make another newcomer from this genre ineligible for launch
  • This character will be our third revealed third party newcomer along with Crash, Jill, and Leon.
  • This fighter will join the ranks of launch third party newcomers along with Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Simon, and Richter in addition to Crash, Jill, and Leon
  • We will be showing a third party fighter for E3 and will have future opportunities for more third party additions prior to launch. Infinite will have more third party fighters at launch than previous Smash games.
  • This fighter will be revealed in the same direct as Grovyle & Celebi and DJ Octavio.
  • We will be doing our typical stage/content submissions following the voting and results period.
  • Activison and Capcom are ineligible
  • Tetris, Celeste, and Twitter are ineligible
In addition, while we prefer fighters/franchises that have appeared at least in some fashion on a Nintendo system, we will make special exceptions for certain franchises that are heavyweights in the video gaming industry; such as Halo or League of Legends. The leadership team has the right to veto a submission if it failed follow the criteria based on the prompt. This includes if a franchise is largely based on a currently repped genre or a franchise that has never been on a Nintendo system before. In this case, we would weigh the importance and contributions of the franchise to gaming,

When submitting, please provide the following information:
1. Genre/Franchise Name
2. Character Name
3. Artwork
4. Why this franchise should be included to represent the specific franchise
5. And, if applicable, why should this character be included (this is very important for genres with multiple likely candidates)

6. f you feel you think one particular genre deserves to be included over another, please make your case here. This may help you sway others to vote for that genre/franchise/character instead of a more popular one.

If unsure about your submission, feel free to ping one of the leadership team members or contact us in the Discord server. I am sorry for some many criteria and highlighting but this is a particularly important job with several repercussions in regards to submissions, Also, this also entails submitting and voting for three things at once: a genre/franchise/character.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Puhuhuhu...
MONOKUMA BRINGS THE DESPAIR

Who is this "Monokuma" feller?
Monokuma is the main antagonist of the Danganrompa games. He kidnapped 15 (16 in the later games) students who excel in a certain field (Such as baseball, singing, and even fanfiction writing!?), trapped them in a heavy security high school (where he is the headmaster), and forced them to participate in a killing game. You may be asking, "what is a killing game?" A killing game is a "game" (also a reality TV show) where the students need to kill each other. "Kill each other why?" So they can escape this gosh darn killing game, of course!!! But there's a catch: You can only escape if you get away with the act. After a student is killed, the remaining students have to participate in a "class trial" where everyone tries to figure out who the culprit is. And what happens if the culprit is caught?

Execution, of course!
You heard me right: Monokuma straight up EXECUTES his "students" who get caught murdering another student. "Why is Monokuma doing this?" For despair!!! But Monokuma isn't alone. In the second game, he gets the help of his kind-spirited sister, Monomi, and in the third game, his lovely, murderous children, the Monokubs!

Monokuma is a dumb teddy bear! What can he do?
Monokuma has tons of material to pull from, including his executions and his one-sided fights with Monomi. He could even summon his Monokub children to fight with him! I'm clearly the not only one who believes Monokuma has moveset potential, look at this! (I know that some people on this website despise Brawlfan1, but it's something)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_EHm5soJM

Monokuma isn't even the protagonist! Why should he get in?
So we can at least get some Danganronpa content, and I can turn the forbidden trio into spirits.

First of all, to answer the protagonist argument, Kazuya isn't the protagonist anymore and he got in before Heihachi. Secondly, Monokuma would bring in a genre not currently represented in Smash: A Visual Novel. Monokuma also has a somewhat charming personality, so it would be interesting to see him interact with the Smash cast.

And while you're at it, why not visit the Monokuma support thread?
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-mascot-of-despair-monokuma-punishes-the-competition.454144/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom