• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

slomo431

Smash Ace
Um what's double stick tech. No seriously I have no idea what that is.

Edit: Searched...wow there's a lot of stuff I don't know about Melee. A lot. It must have been a LONG time since I last went into any advanced techniques threads...

brickman

Smash Lord
You use your c-stick and your normal movement stick to essentially tech off of a tech.

I believe it involves an ASDI down which must be immediately teched simultaneously with the c-stick teching down and the movement stick opposite the attacks trajectory.

The result is teching, spinning on the ground, getting pushed back a little, but staying on the stage ultimately with a varying amount of opposite momentum. When you are under 200% the moment is largely negligible.

Umm... here is a video of a variance of it. I don't think they were doing it the same way I do it, because their momentum seems exaggerated.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ssbm+double+stick+tech&emb=0&aq=f#

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Haha I remember those vids. Saw them a long time ago. Never understood what magus was doing though.

And if you're watching starcraft, look for Slayers Boxer and Savior. Savior is my favorite player. Crazy zerg stuff.

Boxer is the gimp master of starcraft. He does crazy funny stuff like scv rushing and bunker rushing and can kill over 20 lings with 3 marines.

Also if you want commentary, look for commentary by Tasteless, especially at the STAR invitational. Those were some amazing matches. (Flash's gols.. O_O')

Oh man... I'm hot for SC now. *goes to watch*

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Yeah. If this is anything like other career fairs I've been to, everyone will be wearing one.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i saw tom in a suit once
randomly ran into him on the quad

btw, i got spray paint remover, so i might come by next week to finish painting the controller

ftl

Smash Journeyman
That was a quick day. Anyone up for more brawl sometime?

One of these days I'll get my own system...

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! I have a Wii of my own now. Where by 'of my own' I mean my roommate has one, but he said I could bring it to the club on Saturdays. Now I just need to get Brawl and unlock everything. Where by 'everything' I mean 'Falco'.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Hey Eric I was wondering if you could send a facebook message out to Smashing Illini.

We had three TVs, one wii, and one gamecube yesterday, and people only played gamecube because the line for the wii was too long. Can you ask people to reply if they are bringing a wii to the meeting? It's no fun carrying a TV around for nothing.

Thanks~

brickman

Smash Lord
Sorry about that.

While I can send out a letter to everyone in the group reminding them of the necessity in bringing a set up a long with a controller, I am also away from school, and so I am significantly less forceful in that manner.

You, on the other hand, should request someone to bring one, or explain to them the necessity of doing so.

I'll try to get a compiled list of T.V.s and set ups once I get back onto campus, and, once again, I apologize for my absence, and I'll do my best to make sure things are in order for December on.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Annoying people: That doofus is Caleb. You know, the guy who designed a goofy level and thought it was awesome. I don't know the name of that overbearing guy who acts like everyone likes him (the one who was passing around shirt designs a few weeks ago).

Cool people: TheStig is Dustin. Not sure about BC or that Diddy Kong guy.

brickman

Smash Lord
haha, I think the overenthusiastic person is Matt, he seems well intentioned enough.

I hear good things of this Dustin.

Dustin, if you are out there, do you play melee too?

TheStig

Smash Lord
I play melee sometimes. Neko experienced my extreme tech skills.

*golden sun light-tower custom level thing was k3wl!
*i enjoyed the discussion about friendly fire

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i sent an e-mail with announcements about getting

#1 designated TV/Game people
#2 Oct 18 tourny
#3 Feb 7 tourny
#4 Brawl for Charity
#5 Rules

I basically said if you don't want to follow the rules, then don't come
hope you don't mind

brickman

Smash Lord
I agree.

Very good stuff, Durand. Thank you.

Also, are you working with Joey on this oct 18th tourney? Make sure you do, I want to make sure this is a good event for everyone.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I just got that email. That was a strict bit at the end. Smackdown.

Iunno, I'm a fan of including anything that's a tournament-legal counterpick in the stage rotation as well. No other way to get used to playing on CP stages than to do it occasionally. Ah well, if I'm outvoted on this so be it.

brickman

Smash Lord
I understand the need to get used to CP stages, and that is why I play them on rotation at home. Tournaments and competitive play are different, and the rules reflect it.

Sorry to be strict, and I'm sorry if I come off as overly strict, but it just keeps the game in order.

Brawl is chaotic as **** otherwise.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Ok, fair enough, I can see what you mean.

...if the lines ever become short enough that there's singles going on though (perhaps due to the loss of all those who are going to be put off by that email :), perhaps due to the addition of wiis, perhaps both ), then hopefully I can get whoever I'm playing with to take turns picking, including CPs, rather than just going through the starter stages on random. Is that okay, at least?

brickman

Smash Lord
I've you've got something worked out with people who you are playing with who understand the rules, and you decide that you want to play CP levels, talk to them, and if they are ok with it, then I'm ok with it.

I want everyone to have fun with this, but I want to make sure rules are followed. Just a little bit of order, and if that means putting some people off, then we will deal with it.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I won't be making it this weekend either. I will however still be in town Monday, does anybody wanna Melee it up sometime up til 4pm?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Durian--send me the email. andperseandy@gmail.com
Evidently my address is misspelled in the list?

Maybe we should have an intelligence test to get into the club so Caleb doesn't come anymore. Although he did bring a Wii this time...

I guess just so long as shirt guy is gone it won't be so bad.

Top Bottom