• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
I don't mind trying to set up smym8
and learning how to set up brackets

teach me the great and powerful andy

i just need to know where it was help and who i have to talk to and etc... that way i can set it up every year after

also, I don't really mind brawl, i just play it as a leisure thing
if anyone is still up for melee i'll play

i realized there's a lot of infinites in this game depending on the stage
and no power shield makes lasers really really annoying

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
Andy was joking about the 50 dollar thing...he meant to say make the check out to Matt Radovich, and 10 bucks is fine

anyways, ya i agree with durand, I like to play brawl but I just prefer melee

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Brawl actually does look like fun sometimes... but Wiis cost more than fifty cents, and are thus more than I am willing to spend on anything. 'Cept that joke fee.

I'm too lazy to learn new strategies for a new game anyway.

Teach me brackets too!

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Actually, I think tio does all the hard work for you. So instead of learning how to do brackets, you have to learn how to use tio.

brickman

Smash Lord
Okay- I am not going to be attending school for the first couple of months (likely until mid-November). This may cause some confusion so let us work this out right now.

For Quad Day-Trossman if you want to you can still help coordinate the University to get things worked out as far as location and set up. I would also suggest talking to the people at Game Stop to see if they want to help out at all. Let them know you are with Smashing Illini.

Make sure we have a sign up list for positions if you do host it. This list should still be on the facebook group page. We need a treasurer and other positions filled. We need to see who else is available to work that day at quad day to look over the tent/ area. Also we need to know if we can get a table, television, cords and all that other good stuff. I know it seems like a hassle, and I'm upset I can't be there, but the group really needs this. So if people want to step up and help out, please do.

Also, for game night, who wants to be the contact I forward the organizer to? I want this to happen, and this will be really good for the group, and I'm furious I wont be able to attend. It will be a legitimate University funded thing. We should do fliers- Durand, make sure we get those fliers you made out and about. You should hand them out at the table and make sure they are posted around the quad.

If anything can think of anything else that needs organizing let me know, I want to help as much as I can. I am going to be helping to run a campaign for someone running for congress, so I wont be able to be at school for the first couple of months, in case anyone was wondering why I wasn't going to be at school.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, my lease is up soon and I'm leaving to go home tomorrow so I won't be in the area until the 18th. After that I'll do what I can to try and get this smoothed out, but I'm not really sure what that is. I can talk to the Gamestop guys about the tourney setups around then too. The early year tourney is going to be brawl right? I think that's for the best since we're less intimidating at that game.

brickman

Smash Lord
Jon, just make sure that we get the information that we are suppose to from the University and talk to the people at GameStop. See what they will offer and what they want to provide.

The tournament should most definitely be brawl, but at least one set up should have melee- show them kids what talent is.

I am going to forward the woman in charge of organizing game night to talk to you.

brickman

Smash Lord
We will also have to refile our non-discrimination form. I think I will have to come down to school for a little bit to make sure everything goes smooth.

Double post kill shot.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Matt and/or Tom:
Could you post or private message me a number I could reach you guys at? I need to speak with you guys about my stuff at your apartment.

brickman

Smash Lord
quad day continues:

here is most recent information that I have received.

This email correspondence serves as the first of two official emails you will receive regarding Quad Day 2008. Please remember that Quad Day is now Sunday, August 24th from 12:00-5:00pm.

Your organization submitted a Quad Day application during the spring semester. Accordingly, your organization has been assigned space to participate in Quad Day. At the time that your application was submitted, you were listed as the contact person for the event. If you are no longer affiliated with the organization in a leadership capacity, please forward this message to the new Quad Day coordinator for your organization and send our office the name and email address of the new contact person for your organization.

REGISTRATION

The morning of Quad Day, your organization will need to check in at the Information & Registration Tent (Northwest corner of Quad by the Illini Union) to receive your assigned space number and location. You will not receive your assigned number until you register that morning. Registration begins at 10:00am. All groups must occupy their space by 11:45 am OR you will forfeit your assigned space and no refunds will be given.

BOOTH INFORMATION

Booth spaces are 8 ft long. All organization personnel and materials must remain within the allotted space. Group members must stay with their organization’s assigned space and not impede the flow of traffic. Amplified sound must be maintained at a reasonable level for the courtesy of all participants. Flyers, giveaways, and sign-ups must be done from your own space and not within the flow of traffic.

Participating organizations will need to make arrangements to provide their own table and chairs. Only two chairs are permitted per booth.

No sales or raffles of any kind are permitted.

No food or beverages can be distributed.

QUAD DAY FLIERS

The Illini Union ReSOurce Center is offering a Quad Day special for all groups participating in Quad Day 08. Printing of quarter-sheet handbills can be completed conveniently in the Office and ready for your use at Quad Day. Your organization designs the flier on a full, regular sheet of paper (8 ½ x 11) and the ReSOurce Center will convert it to quarter-sheet handbills/fliers for you to pass out.

See the attached for pricing specials including 2000 handbills for just $15.

The Illini Union ReSOurce Center is located in 285 Illini Union, adjacent to the Student Organization Complex and RSO Office

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please be aware that we will be sending additional information to the contact person(s) for your organization regarding the Quad Day rules and regulations.

If you have questions regarding Quad Day that have not been provided at this time, please feel free to contact the Student Programs and Activities Office at 217.244.2357. Amy Sponsler is the Quad Day contact.

We look forward to seeing you at Quad Day.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Well, from the looks of that a smash kiosk doesn't look possible because it would "impede the flow of traffic". I don't think it's a huge loss, we can still play by ourselves and ignore everyone else.

brickman

Smash Lord
we should totally do those hand out things. I'll throw down some money, Durand help out with the design. Also, if any of you wouldn't mind, could you help out bringing things/ cash to fund some of the sillyness?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
You might be able to do a kiosk if you were to move the setup a couple meters away from the sidewalk--although you lose visibility that way. Not that I even know what the point of this Quad Day smash thing is.

brickman

Smash Lord
Fun, ground breaking, plain sillyness.

Can you name an instance where you saw someone playing video games on the quad? I can't. Not to mention the fact we will probably be working with Game Stop, we will certainly be noticeable. Also, this will be a good primer to stir up interest for the game night that will occur a couple of days after.

I think it is pretty important at least...

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
No, don't advertise our weekly smashfests. We don't need a bunch of people swarming us and not bringing setups or even controllers when we never have enough setups anyway.

Advertise the game night, whenever that is. That's the one time we're going to have the capacity for extra people.

brickman

Smash Lord
Quad day will also be an opportunity to reach out to people and to educate them. They will get a pamphlet, or a lecture on smash manners. They will learn to bring their own controllers and to bring set ups. This is a time for informing people not worrying about how to maintain our tiny group.

Anyways, we will maintain private gaming sessions.

We will make public ones for all the newbies and they can provide for themselves.

what chu' think.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I agree we should tell them to bring their own sh it, but I doubt many of them ever will. The game night is the most important thing to advertise.

brickman

Smash Lord
Agreed.

Jon, did that woman contact you at all, or should I make sure that game night goes through? I was planing on doing that anyways.

Also, I think we should make sure that the people that want to get together and play have the ability to do so. I don't think they should play directly with us, because, lets be honest, they mostly suck, but I do think that they should feel involved.

If we have enough set ups, and if they bring their own, I think they should be able to play with each other on those set ups and compete with and amongst each other. Every so often, if they should feel so, they could challenge us to see if they can make it. If they can play with us, all the better, let them join in. But I also think it is important for the two groups to be more than a training grounds and the main event. They should be interactive and informative.

I think game night, along with quad day will give us ample opportunity to explain the goals, at least my goals for the club, and talk about future events.

Edit: Jon, could you please update the first post of this thread to reflect coming events. New people are directed to the first page, and they should get the most recent information possible. Thanks!

brickman

Smash Lord
double posties.

More information on handout costs and such.

Black Ink on White Paper
500 handbills = $5
1000 handbills = $10
2000 handbills = $15
Black Ink on Color Paper
500 handbills = $7
1000 handbills = $15
2000 handbills = $20
Illini Union ReSOurce Center
Quad Day Special— 1/4 sheet handbills—pass out fliers!
Fliers should be designed on a full-sheet of white
paper (8 1/2 x 11) and submitted for printing.
ReSOurce Center staff will convert the flier into
a 1/4 sheet handbill easily used for distribution.
Publicity done easy …
you design the flier …
our staff copies and cuts …
you hand out the info @ Quad Day.
All charges posted to University RSO or
Department Account for convenient payment method.
Community Agencies can pay with cash or credit.
Illini Union ReSOurce Center
285 Illini Union
Questions: iurso@illinois.edu

ALSO- I want to invest in a large banner for our group. I'll throw down cash, but I was hoping some of you would help chip in. Thoughts?

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
So what about running the game day Brawl tournament? Durand and I are interested in brackets... are we officially in charge?

And who's this Tio Andy mentioned? O_o;

brickman

Smash Lord
If you guys want to learn how to do brackets from Andy, by all means do so. I would appreciate, as I'm sure everyone else would, some other people with the capability to run brackets. Tio I think is a program that creates brackets.

Robin, I think we will probably need some help in keeping the booth in order for Quad Day. Probably getting people to sign up, seeing if they are interested, although I will certainly be talking to them as well. I would greatly appreciate your attendance at Quad day, as well as everyone else.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
tio is what everyone uses these days. No one uses paper brackets for big tourneys anymore.

http://www.nealpro.com/

It's fairly easy to use. I think you can enter skill level and location for entrants, so that people don't play their buddies first round and such.

I'm pretty sure I will be free and in attendance for the tournament, so that I can get 4th place. =\ Eric, have you worked out some # of setups with them? Do you know to what extent they are planning to provide 'em? TVs more so than Wiis.

brickman

Smash Lord
If necessary, I'm sure we will be able to improvise a solution. Possible solutions: Paper/folders/whatever on each side of the screen. That should help to block some glare.

Top Bottom