• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
4271 north cottonwood trail
hoffman Estates, IL

i live by palatine and barrington road

uh i actually don't know what time, let me check and i'll post back later 2nite after work
which will be around 10-11 =_=

chun1

Smash Apprentice
sounds interesting. i'll see if zec wants to come. i can play until 3-ish, so earlier is better for me.

thanks for hosting, dewrag. i'm 847-924-9035

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
3pm?

or 3am?

either way, weird time =_=

if everyone is coming as they say, i'm assuming it's gonna be around 8 people?

do u think we need more set ups?

chun1

Smash Apprentice
i got plans at 3 pm, but if you guys are going to play after dinner then i can probably make it then too. smash until 3 AM would be perfect.

zec hasn't gotten back to me yet. i'm only 20 mins away, but i'm not sure if zec wants to drive all the way from naperville. i'll ask him later.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Lucky I randomly checked the thread today, when I havn't checked it for weeks. Is it okay if I come too? I can pick people up, if they aren't too far out of the way. I'm coming from Vernon Hills.

Also, I recently met this guy, Bob. Havn't played him yet. He said he knows you, durand. Maybe I can tug him along.

Bringing my setup.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
lol
BOB
like as in BOBBY!?

so how many is this? way too many =_=
but tat's ok
lol
sure he can come
wow lotta people coming
uh

someone want to bring tv? for set ups?
cuz i have 1 big tv which has lag so it's a no go
1 medium large which is good
and 1 small which is uber small dunno if u guys want to play on that

people want to play at 1PM?

eat lunch before coming
i doubt i can feed the number of people coming

chun1

Smash Apprentice
is 12:30 okay? i have to leave early anyway.

do you want us to call ahead of time or does it matter?

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
uh yeah, cuz i'm gonna be at my friends in the morning and till noon

so i dunno if i'll be home by 12:30 i know by 1 most likely

i'll try

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I can be there at 1:30.

Yeah, its that Bobby. I don't know if he's coming for sure though, he hasn't gotten back to me.

Can't we pool money for pizza?

Again, bringing my setup. Everyone bring yours too!

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
ok, my parents decided to change their minds and not allow anyone in the house for no reason

so.... i'll try to find a place for everyone to meet

sorry about the inconvenience

brickman

Smash Lord
I got this from the Illini Union Rec Room Manager,

Eric,

My name is Donna and I am the manager of the Illini Union Rec Room and I am contacting you today as you were listed as the president of the RSO – Smashing Illini. If you are not the correct person, could you please either forward this message to the correct person or let me know who that might be?

I’m not sure if you are familiar with our facility, but we have bowling, billiards, and arcade games along with a lounge (big screen TV) as well as many other TVs and Buzztime Trivia (like they have at Buffalo Wild Wings).

This summer we added X-Box and Wii gaming to what we offer. During Welcome Week (the first week of classes) the Rec Room will be hosting a Gaming Night to introduce the new gaming opportunities in the Rec Room. It will be held on Wednesday, August 27th.

We have Super Smash Bros. Brawl for our Wii systems. My question is would your organization be interested in participating in our Game Night on the 27th of August? My thoughts would be to perhaps have a small tournament or just some other play happening. If it is a tournament, I would hope your organization would be able to set up and conduct the tournament – how much to charge – what are the requirements with regard to the number of systems needed, etc. The Rec Room would assist in meeting those needs and also would provide prizes.

Does this sound like something in which your organization would be interested in participating? It might be a good way to introduce your organization to new members or as a follow-up to those that sign up for your organization during Quad Day (if you participate).

Please let me know if this is possible and if so, what ideas you may have regarding the type of event. There will be other games going on at the same time as the Super Smash Bros. such as Halo, Rock Band, and perhaps other Wii games and Counter Strike, etc. I look to this being an interesting component to our Game Night Event.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

What do you guys think? You up for brawl?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I know you guys hate Brawl and you'd rather shove a pencil in your eye than play, but this is a great opportunity. Jump on it.

I would like to see 6 setups as a bare minimum. I don't know if they are willing to provide that many, but I would think that some of us could bring some. TVs are probably easier for them and tougher for us.

This wouldn't be a pro-level tourney, so I would think $5 is reasonable. Any less is silly, $10 may be a bit steep.

And I... might be able to help with the bracket. When is someone else going to learn how to do it? I'm getting old... I might die soon.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I'll learn to do brackets!

I don't know much about brawl though.

edit - neat! I'm a child!

On an unrelated topic, there's a whole bunch of matches from FAST1 on youtube. Search dashizwiz vs mew2king. Shiz iz hot.

Me14k

Smash Lord
melee....smym8?

Sounds like a possibility to me.

Why not make it pro level?

I guess you could also have a smym for brawl as well, gather scrubs and 'pro' brawlers.

brickman

Smash Lord
So here is my input:

I agree with Andy, this should not be pro level. This should be the follow up to Quad day where we get a lot of people interested in the group. This can get people really into brawl (ugh, whatever), and possible, at the end of the tournament, or running in concurrance with the tournament we could have a couple of melee set ups off to the side, and invite people to enjoy what the past holds. This would be a great opportunity to further see who the good new players are. I still think we can gauge how people play by their abilities in brawl (to some extent).

Henrik, come back for this, it will be fun. I am going to see if anyone from the Chicago area wants to come down for this. I think this could be a great chance for us, and for our group.

Furthermore, I would encourage you guys to communicate with the manager of GameStop, Joshua, he could probably help us bring some set ups, and could probably through some more money into the pool, maybe.

School sponsorship, business sponsorship and a huge turnout could be the most fun thing ever.

The only problem... I may not be there for the first semester!!!! eeek. We will see. Otherwise emergency powers will have to be delegated out to someone to help cary this through.

haha.

P.S.- don't die Andy, the community needs order!

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
When I said that this wouldn't be pro-level, I didn't mean we should avoid making it pro-level, I meant what we're looking at is similar in nature to Illinites or HKN tourneys. That's just how it is.

But actually, I'm not sure about trying to get out of town pro attendance. Unless we get 12 setups or so, a real tourney (with round robins) is out of the question.

Me14k--huh? I don't even feel like hosting a Brawl SMYM, much less a Melee one. The only hope of another SMYM is if someone else around here wants to take the reins.
What we are talking about here does not resemble SMYM at all.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i dont think we should try to get brawl pros because they might scare people away, but a brawl tournament for money would be interesting

on a side note, i think shizwiz has finally passed isai as best melee player in the world

chun1

Smash Apprentice
oh i see what's going on ---matt doesn't want any pro's coming in and taking his 1st place money. tricky tricky.

i think bringing in pro's would be a good idea bc it'll inspire the nubs to get better. it happened in melee so it might happen with brawl. then again, i hear dave and aob are pro level already so maybe no more are needed.

actually, i don't really care. i'm with henrik on this --- i have left.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you don't have to be pro to inspire noobs. You just have to be better.

I don't see a problem with bringing in pros though.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Uhm, depends on what you mean by "pro level." And I'm not sure how Dave and I are any more pro than the twins or Alex.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Alex is my hero.

DaShizWiz is good, but I thought M2K was making far more mistakes than he usually does in those FAST1 videos.

brickman

Smash Lord
I think you seem to all be forgetting, the sillyness of my ROB conquers all.

Although it has been about 3 months since I have touched a controller now.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, can I ask a quick question in this thread? Seems like the best place for it.

I haven't read through this thread, it's a bit long and I don't know how relevant most of it is, so sorry if I could've gotten the answer somewhere in those 112 pages.

I'm going to be moving to the UIUC area in a couple of weeks - graduated college last fall, moving on to grad school now. I played melee completely casually/noobishly for a while, but was starting to get more technical about at the time Brawl came out, so I played brawl pretty heavily for a while (could almost kinda hold my own against an okay tournament player if he played random low-tier characters). I stopped for the summer, but was wondering what the smash scene is at UIUC. I might want to get in on it - I'm not really any good right now, but if there are a bunch of cool people that play smash there I'd probably love to get started up again, and this time maybe actually practice and get good to keep up with some of the folks there. But that's conditional on there being a bunch of people there to play who I'd like hanging out with, and I was wondering whether someone in this thread could either enlighten me as to what the Smash scene is like there or suggest how to meet the people in it once I get there :)

I'd probably suck for a while early on, since I don't have my own wii/brawl right now and won't be getting one until I'm sure that I'll actually be playing a bunch though :( which I might not be, I haven't figured out what life up there will be like yet :)

But yeah, any words from anyone here are appreciated.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I think you seem to all be forgetting, the sillyness of my ROB conquers all.

Although it has been about 3 months since I have touched a controller now.
Are your hands healing from the years of abuse Smash has given them?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
There is a $50 one-time fee to join the Smashing Illini. Bring a check made out to Andy O'Brien to one of our meetings, and you're in.

Trust me, it's worth it. Some of us are One of us is really into Brawl, a couple of us play both, and everyone else is trying to pretend Brawl doesn't exist. Where else can you find that kind of competition?

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind playing brawl, I just like melee better. I'm sure we'll have days where we do both. I really wouldn't mind learning to be competitive in brawl. It's just I love comboing and real brawl combos are CRAZY hard.

edit: ftl, we are pretty active around here. We play at least once a week with at least a few setups. Casual tournaments are usually every other week.

Top Bottom