• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Gamefest VIII

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
WGF was definitely a success in my book =]

Kinda sad I didn't play more on day 2, but it was life or Smash and I chose life lol

Rickety

Peace and Love
Such great people! <3

What a fun tournament! Shout-outs to come! <3

Jun, is there any chance of the full results being released?

Thank you so much to everyone who made this possible!
Between the wonderful staff and the diverse makeup of people who entered,
you all continue to remind why I love this community so much!
Thanks for letting me be a part of it! <3

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
w/ the benefit of hindsight i woulda came to this. considered it but let's be real, there's no way im driving 45+ minutes for a video game tourny anymore.

hard to believe fumi got third

did sung come to this?

stab u should be ashamed. you play against top players all the time and you still can't make any real noise the one time they're not there. prob should stop taking the g ame so seriously and let it coast into hobbiness.

straight up and down goes to show you talent rules all in this game. doesn't matter how hard you work, if you don't have the natural predilection of talent then you will never have it. nothing wrong with playing it just for fun but we all know you *****s who go to tournies every week take it way too seriously than you really should relative to your skill level.

who did lil fumi use? fox? glad he did well. kid always had mad talent. too bad he shows up once every two years. last time i remember seeing his name @ a tournament was when we went to boss's house for a random tournament. sd is so good and coulda been a force but there was never that drive. they're all talent and no drive. kinda funny considering most people are all drive and no talent.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Fumi went Fox/Yoshi and played stunningly well (as SD knew he would). Varied his character choice seemingly on how he felt. Went all Yoshi vs Eddy and mixed up Fox in there for most sets I believe.

No Sung

And I do agree about talent being in SD but no real competitive drive. Our notable players in the recent years embody this phenomena quite accurately (Sunny, Jesse, Azn_lep).

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
rob how did you place / who'd you lose to?

still depresses me when bracket isnt posted within 48 hours :(

Jun.

Smash Lord
I was just told that the TO of the tournament shut his computer off before saving the bracket/results then overwrote the backup of it in efforts of getting it back.

Keep in mind that this was a free tournament. It was an event more or less organized by UCSD and run by UCSD volunteers. The $5 donation was just to give a slight incentive to those who brought setups and is tentatively going to be donated or put to a good cause for the entire community.

Shoutouts to

- Pat_Lep for being amazing as always
- Bear_jew for helping out and making this tournament possible
- Lanstar good to see you again man. I like the new hair. Hope your bleeding thumb is better.
- Irvine for owning us in crews day 2. We'll be more prepared next time
- Rickety: **** you LOLLL good seeing you man!
- LHG: you suck man
- Mad shoutouts to Mexico players though. Brought like 5+ people with 2 TV's and placed 2 out of the top 4. Definitely cool having them nearby despite the fact that we don't play with them at all.
- DarkCloud awesome that you got to come to an SD event! Probably will never see you again but at least got to play! Marth dittos are wack man
- (lil) fumi - yepppppppppp you pro now man.
- Dota2 for being the best game on the planet that you guys should all play
- Last but not least UCSD/Sixth College Tech for throwing a great event as always.

might as well post my personal results:

3-2
Beat: Black, Dark_Cloud, TheCrimsonBlur
Lost to: Bimbo, Lanstar

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I got 7th, losing to Westballz (1st) and Bimbo Mexico (4th) in a close set, Sheik v Falco. I hardcore wanna train more and have the time to do so for a couple months, but no one's ever down. :/
i'd be down. it's fun cuz i have no idea how competitive i'd be v you, but sheik dittos were always one of my fave matchups. id be down for a $5 mm. do you drive? dunno if i'm good enough to get you to come all the way to pomona, but i'd be down to meet @ connor's house.

dunno if he plays anymore tho. he always johns whenever i ask him to play so i've stopped asking.

or maybe we could play at whatisfear's house, though he's normally hella busy.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
stab u should be ashamed. you play against top players all the time and you still can't make any real noise the one time they're not there. prob should stop taking the g ame so seriously and let it coast into hobbiness.
I'm pretty ashamed of my losses as well, but I'm only a loser if I GIVE UP and quit before I actualize my goals. I'll patch up the weaknesses I found from such an awful defeat.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
i'd be down. it's fun cuz i have no idea how competitive i'd be v you, but sheik dittos were always one of my fave matchups. id be down for a $5 mm. do you drive? dunno if i'm good enough to get you to come all the way to pomona, but i'd be down to meet @ connor's house.

dunno if he plays anymore tho. he always johns whenever i ask him to play so i've stopped asking.

or maybe we could play at whatisfear's house, though he's normally hella busy.
I drive, but like...I've been driving a ton (Kings of Cali, Tucson and back, to Phoenix, to Mammoth and back, WGF, to Fly's house in Clairemont and back). So like...I would love to meet you half way. The only characters I have been focusing down on lately are just Sheik, Falco, and Young Link. But also if I drive a good distance, I either would like to bring multiple people and make it a smashfest, play for a kajillion hours on end, or both. But that'd be tight.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
But also if I drive a good distance, I either would like to bring multiple people and make it a smashfest, play for a kajillion hours on end, or both. But that'd be tight.
lol ya we'll prob never play. i have no interest in playing more than 90 minutes or in smashfests / rotations. hate having noobs *** up rotation.

I'm pretty ashamed of my losses as well, but I'm only a loser if I GIVE UP and quit before I actualize my goals. I'll patch up the weaknesses I found from such an awful defeat.
not true. what if your goals are unreasonable or simply unattainable?

what are your goals?

if it's to be a top player, your goal is unrealistic. how long do you have to play before you realize the truth of it? if i decide i want to be in the NBA, and try for 10 years before realizing it's never going to happen, am i a failure?

if so, by who's definition? mine! i created the label and i can re-create it. it's only true if you think it's true. you're not a failure because you lost, you're a failure because you think you're a failure.

if you realized that you could not be a top player, would you still keep playing? are you playing for fun or for accomplishment?

all you're really doing is stressing yourself out because you have set an unrealistic goal, turning a hobby into a job.

you shouldn't be ashamed of any loss. that was a poor choice of words on my part, but maybe i said it because i knew you would identify with it. and maybe that's the point: identifying with shame means something is very unhealthy in your thought process.

kibago

Smash Rookie
Thanks for this event!
AnB from the tournament here. Figured I should probably make an actual smash name though. Thanks for the awesome first tourney experience! Also shoutouts to Adam, even though I didn't catch your smash name, for teaming with a complete rookie (Actual rookie, not A Rookie type rookie). The whole thing was really great! Definitely glad I moved to SD for college. The smash scene is tight

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
lol ya we'll prob never play. i have no interest in playing more than 90 minutes or in smashfests / rotations. hate having noobs *** up rotation.

not true. what if your goals are unreasonable or simply unattainable?

what are your goals?

if it's to be a top player, your goal is unrealistic. how long do you have to play before you realize the truth of it? if i decide i want to be in the NBA, and try for 10 years before realizing it's never going to happen, am i a failure?

if so, by who's definition? mine! i created the label and i can re-create it. it's only true if you think it's true. you're not a failure because you lost, you're a failure because you think you're a failure.

if you realized that you could not be a top player, would you still keep playing? are you playing for fun or for accomplishment?

all you're really doing is stressing yourself out because you have set an unrealistic goal, turning a hobby into a job.

you shouldn't be ashamed of any loss. that was a poor choice of words on my part, but maybe i said it because i knew you would identify with it. and maybe that's the point: identifying with shame means something is very unhealthy in your thought process.
My goal as of right now is to become top 5 in SoCal. Will I be satisfied if I reach that goal, and stop playing as much? Maybe, but more likely I will continue to play and see how good I can become. Is my goal attainable? Hell yeah it is, and the personality traits I have that impede my progress in smash are the same ones that affect me in life, so one way or another I'm going to have to work around them if I want to be successful in any venture. I may not have the natural talent for basketball but I sure as hell don't think most smashers around me are so much more talented than me that I could never catch up to them.

Admittedly I do get frustrated by losses, but if I gave up after every little set back then I would have quit years ago. I know I still have plenty of room to grow as a player and I'm thoroughly unconvinced that I've plateaued. Maybe all this stress isnt worth it, but I've enjoyed these past few years of competing and the bonds I've made through it.

Edit: and if u want to talk about this further than pm me because I don't like flooding this thread with my personal stuff

:phone:

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
This really doesn't mean much coming from me, but I think you've got what it takes stab.

LittleFumi

Smash Journeyman
Sung I went all Yoshi against bimbo and Eddie. Then I switched off Yoshi/fox against west balls but he was too good for any of my characters. Jun, do you know if the videos are gonna get put up?

Rickety

Peace and Love
Full results! Um, sort of! <3

That's too bad about the results, Jun,
but the tournament was still an absolute blast!
Thanks again to you and the rest of the Winter GameFest team
who make these tournaments possible! <3

Off the top of my head, and from
what I could gather from the posts in here,
the results were...

1. WestBallz :falcomelee:
2. Eddy Mexico :luigimelee:
3. LittleFumi :foxmelee: :yoshimelee:
4. Bimbo Mexico :falcomelee:
5. StabbedbyaNipple :falcomelee:
5. Rickety :sheikmelee:
7. OkamiBW :sheikmelee:
7. Rus Soul :falcomelee:
9. Saint Patrick :ganonmelee:
9. ZENlb :falconmelee:
9. A Rookie :mariomelee:

If anyone knows their respective placing, it'd be nice if we
were able to put as much of it back together as we possibly could! <3

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
w/ the benefit of hindsight i woulda came to this. considered it but let's be real, there's no way im driving 45+ minutes for a video game tourny anymore.

hard to believe fumi got third

did sung come to this?

straight up and down goes to show you talent rules all in this game. doesn't matter how hard you work, if you don't have the natural predilection of talent then you will never have it. nothing wrong with playing it just for fun but we all know you *****s who go to tournies every week take it way too seriously than you really should relative to your skill level.

who did lil fumi use? fox? glad he did well. kid always had mad talent. too bad he shows up once every two years. last time i remember seeing his name @ a tournament was when we went to boss's house for a random tournament. sd is so good and coulda been a force but there was never that drive. they're all talent and no drive. kinda funny considering most people are all drive and no talent.
I heavily disagree. I was a ****ty player for a long time, then one day things just clicked. Like most things in life, smash is trial and error. Some people make take longer than others but if you really want it you can get it.

IMO anyway.

vato_break

Smash Master
i thought stab was pretty ****, lol. it doesn't matter if you play vs good ppl all the time or if you play vs bad ones. some people practice with players much lower than their skill level and may still be really good.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
hey okami, did u record any matches at wgf?

Yep, I got 6 of them. One of them is you vs. Lots. I'll get to them after I finish the two vids from APEX.

Edit: Here's the list of what I've got from WGF.
A Rookie vs Okami
Bimbo Mexico vs Stabbedbyanipple
Okami vs Fist
Pat vs Okami
Westballz vs Okami
Zio vs Lots

Top Bottom