• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB MELEE Tournament/LAN Party (Sat. Feb. 6, 2010)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
UCSB MELEE TOURNAMENT

So it's been a while since the last one. If you came to the last one, you know where this one will be. The only difference is it'll be melee only, and it's being run by me instead of Gosu Engineer. I basically copied the info from his thread.

Date: Saturday Feb. 6, 2010

Time (for the Tournament): you can get there as early as 10 am, but they'll just be setting stuff up, Registration will start around 12:30 pm, and I'll start the tourney around 1pm.
For the LAN party: The lan Party goes from Noon to midnight. bring a computer or w/e it is you do at lan parties lol.
Venue:
Loma Pelona Student Resource Center. Decent size room with projector built in:
Map: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/712/ucsbsmashmap.gif

Parking is available in the areas circled in Pink; unfortunately it does cost a dollar. For free parking you can try and find a spot in the adjacent town Isla Vista, . Places to eat are located in areas circled and indicated in Red (mostly), and the actual Venue is circled in black. (Note, please disregard the phone number labeled as Gosu's at the bottom of the map, this map is the one I used for last year's tourney)

Cost: Venue Fee: $3 (This is for food that will be provided [pizza, candy, soda], the venue itself is being paid for by UCSB)
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 ($5 per person)
I will waive the venue fee if you bring a full setup (tv + console + game)

Pot Distribution

Singles (60%, 30%, 10%)
Doubles (60%, 30%, 10%)

Rules:

- Mages' DQ Rule

The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late – Warning
4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
*Wobbling is not banned.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Grand Finals, loser's finals, winner's finals and SEMI-finals will be best out of 5.Why? cuz we got plenty of time. :cool:

Post here if you plan to attend or are bringing a setup.
Oh yeah and if you wanna MM me, let me know.

PS: if anyone has interest in doing crews, I'm down.

and if I forgot/left anything out, let me know.

Setups:
1. Dantefox
2.defenderoftime

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I think I can come to this if I can ask of my professors to move the midterm date by 1 week forward or maybe I will just participate in crew battles, steal some free food, and go study in the De Anza Center.

So who wants to team with me? I will notify you 48 hours in advance if I am unable to be your partner. Depending on the number of people, I may just have enough time to participate in singles or doubles but not both. :(

Now I have to finish an Organic Chemistry lab report that is due in 165 minutes. :(

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
I think I can come to this if I can ask of my professors to move the midterm date by 1 week forward or maybe I will just participate in crew battles, steal some free food, and go study in the De Anza Center.

So who wants to team with me? I will notify you 48 hours in advance if I am unable to be your partner.
You'd have to have a better reason for your profs if you want them to move a midterm. generally they only delay a midterm if you have some medical or family emergency (or they haven't covered enough material)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
semi-finals are Bo5? you only have enough time if there aren't alot of people

and didn't you ask carlos for his laptop or is he not forking it over?
we will def. have enough time, if not, I'll change the rules and make semis best out of 3. I mean, the lan party goes until midnight, and I don't expect a huge amount of people to enter. I think we'll have enough time for that.

and I didn't ask carlos yet. I'm hoping to save that as a last resort.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You'd have to have a better reason for your profs if you want them to move a midterm. generally they only delay a midterm if you have some medical or family emergency (or they haven't covered enough material)
Allow me to add some clarification. The date set for the Ch E 110A midterm is tentative. In reality, there are many other Ch Es that have 3 midterms the week right after the LAN Party (Andrej and I are actually the only Ch Es that are affected by the 3 midterms that are interested in the LAN Party anyway.) All I have to do is tell the other Ch Es to send email messages to the professor to have it moved next week (for the whole class) using the defense that they have 3 midterms on that same week. Professor Michael Gordon moved a midterm by a week because some of the Ch Es had an organic chemistry midterm that day, so that is what I am hoping Professor Shell would do. :) Sounds like a good reason to move a midterm to me since the class is graded on a curve and it is not fair that some students have only 1 midterm that week to study for (Ch E 110A). :)

defenderoftime

Smash Cadet
Hell yeah, I'll be there, have you talked to the UCSB Smash club at all about this?

We might want to just make this a melee AND brawl tournament, in which case we're going to want more setups. But we may want more setups anyway...

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Hell yeah, I'll be there, have you talked to the UCSB Smash club at all about this?

We might want to just make this a melee AND brawl tournament, in which case we're going to want more setups. But we may want more setups anyway...
why would we want to do brawl too? we don't even play brawl, really...

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
So I will try to see how many people plan to enter the Melee event to see how long it will last as far as time constraints go. I may not participate in Melee Doubles since I don't want to screw my partner over at the last minute by deciding not to compete. :(

Melee Singles
Huy
Dante

Melee Doubles
Dante

Foopmaster

Smash Cadet
Every time I come back here I want to play melee again, maybe this time I will show up lol. I really do want to start playing melee again, nobody plays brawl+, and like hell I can go back to normal brawl after paying that haha. But I am interested in playing I haven't played much smash since some of my friends left for cal poly.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Yeah no one play brawl+ so why bother with that. Plus melee is the superior game and I remember your ganon was pretty **** foop. Kage beat mango so you should main ganon! Sb always needs more melee players

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Every time I come back here I want to play melee again, maybe this time I will show up lol. I really do want to start playing melee again, nobody plays brawl+, and like hell I can go back to normal brawl after paying that haha. But I am interested in playing I haven't played much smash since some of my friends left for cal poly.
bryant, if you come to this, I will personally train you back up to the way you were pre-brawl. ;)

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Melee is a much better game. You should play Melee with us. :)

DavidFalco

Smash Rookie
6th? good

I'll be able to make the tourney, bwahaha.
Get your shield grabs ready, gentlemen.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Can I get an estimate of how many people will be at the tournament?

Melee Singles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)

Melee Doubles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)

Setups
1. Dante

DanteFox

Smash Champion
What time do you think the tourney will end?
depends on how many people show up. I'd say around 6. That's around when it ended last time I think.
dante
josh
cho
david
david
huy
maybe andrej idk
hopefully cape and
joe but idk about them.
bryant had better show up or I'll be disappointed in him

and you guys better bring setups or this is gonna suck.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?

Melee Singles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)
Josh
Huy

Melee Doubles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)
Josh
Huy

Setups
1. Dante
Maybes:
Andrej
Cape
Joe
Ryan

Also, I got my professor to move the midterm before the LAN Party so I am 75% sure I am coming to this. :)

defenderoftime

Smash Cadet
If you get enough people I bring my 30inch TV that doesn't lag(+gc and disk).. I only brought it down here for smash anyway =]. I'll just need some help figuring out a way to get it onto campus ><

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Melee Singles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)
Josh
Huy
defender of time

Melee Doubles
Caleb
Dante
David (DrAwesome)
David (DavidFalco)
Josh
Huy
defender of time

Setups
1. Dante

Setups (Maybes)
1. Caleb
2. defender of time

Well the only Ice Climber main that will probably compete will be Andrej so one Ice Climber would not be that bad. :)

Pound 4 rules would be acceptable too. :)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Can we consider using the pound 4 rules? I like the stage striking and pokemon on counter list. And wobbling not banned? :/
wobbling is in because of Andrej. :)
and I don't really like pound 4 rules. The only thing I like is that corneria and green greens are banned. pokemon stadium is neutral most of the time.

So right now it's my vote against yours. You'll have to persuade people to your POV so I get enough demand to warrant me changing the rules. If I get more people telling me that they want pound 4 rules, I will gladly oblige.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
wobbling is in because of Andrej. :)
and I don't really like pound 4 rules. The only thing I like is that corneria and green greens are banned. pokemon stadium is neutral most of the time.

So right now it's my vote against yours. You'll have to persuade people to your POV so I get enough demand to warrant me changing the rules. If I get more people telling me that they want pound 4 rules, I will gladly oblige.
Don't worry Caleb. You will be fine even if wobbling is allowed. :) So does "enough demand" defined as more than 50% of the entrants?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
the wobbling isnt because im scared or anything i just think its a lame rule for tounaments in general. but as for the stages, keeping it original with pokemon on neutral is fine i guess but can we somehow implement the stage striking at least? leaving it up for random seems kind of wack.

these are just opinions but dante you have the last word being the TO and everything which is all gooood. =)

edit: green greens should be banned no matter what, that stage is dumb

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I edited the rules to exclude corneria and green greens from cp stages cuz the're gay. as always, if you and your opponent agree to a stage, then it's a legit cp for that match.

I'm surprised you favor Pound 4 rules cho, seeing as how one of the purposes of those rules is to shift the stage balance away from spacies (hence no PS on neutral) and more toward shiek and whatnot.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Well what I really like is the stage striking and stages like mute city and pokefloats being banned. And it's funny you mention that because i've been thinking about quitting falco but that's not why I like the pound 4 rule haha

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
s]text that you want to cross out[/s]

that without the initial space between the bracket and s
Thanks for the tip, Dante. :)

Well what I really like is the stage striking and stages like mute city and pokefloats being banned. And it's funny you mention that because i've been thinking about quitting falco but that's not why I like the pound 4 rule haha
Who do you anticipate to be your new main, Caleb? I will most likely main Peach and Sheik now. I will probably use Peach in Melee Doubles, though. :)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
have you considered fox? I don't know if you realize this but at the first smash club meeting a couple weeks ago your fox was ****** in teams. just a thought.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
k I'm gonna take a poll: tell me if you want pound 4 ruleset, or are cool with the one in the OP.

as for me I'm fine trying out this newfangled stage striking system, as long as everyone understands how it works, so we don't have a misunderstanding.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
k I'm gonna take a poll: tell me if you want pound 4 ruleset, or are cool with the one in the OP.

as for me I'm fine trying out this newfangled stage striking system, as long as everyone understands how it works, so we don't have a misunderstanding.
People in favor of Pound 4 rules:
Huy
Caleb

People who are against Pound 4 rules:

Dante, is there any chance I could use your laptop to register for my classes on GOLD during the tournament (assuming there is Internet connection and the tournament ends after 6:45 PM)?

Registration Pass 1: 2/6/2010 6:45 PM - 2/13/2010 11:45 PM

Thanks. :)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
People in favor of Pound 4 rules:
Huy
Caleb

People who are against Pound 4 rules:

Dante, is there any chance I could use your laptop to register for my classes on GOLD during the tournament (assuming there is Internet connection and the tournament ends after 6:45 PM)?

Registration Pass 1: 2/6/2010 6:45 PM - 2/13/2010 11:45 PM

Thanks. :)
I don't have a laptop, sorry.

the rules have been updated to pound 4 rules. wobbling is still legal, if only out of principle (even if Andrej doesn't show up).

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I don't have a laptop, sorry.
Thanks for letting me know. :) That is correct. You are actually borrowing Carlos's laptop to run Tio and he probably would not want anybody to touch his laptop so I think it would be a good idea to keep the laptop to yourself. I think I can bring my own laptop, but the tournament should end before 6:45 PM though. :)

Top Bottom