• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCF Brawl in Orlando (Central Florida) + CFL PR Thread

gallax

Smash Hero
Well it seems that brawl is dying. Thank SFL for that. If it was just Orlando and Tampa and Naples and Gville we'd have an amazing community.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
You guys play lame. and boring. 0 style. Problem? Stfu no one cares. I was answering nova's question. Got a problem with me saying that? Then play different. If you don't care then don't ask and play how you want
@dtorr no one in orlando plays like that. Name one person.
Some sfl is cool. But thst has nothing to do with it.
:phone:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Orlando doesn't equal all of CFL.

I don't need to put anyone on blast because I don't have a problem with anyone. However, I'll just leave this here for an example of playing lame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq2X1Isusfo

I simply responded to the thought that SFL killed Florida Brawl, which is disagree with. Most of Orlando didn't even go to their own tourney because "the door fee was too high" yet the FGC paid more. Shoutouts to not taking advantages of opportunities laid out to people.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I don't know where 'lame' and 'boring' come from lol. People love sfl videos and ask me about them a bunch. Winning alot means you have zero style? Lol

I'm having trouble understanding how one region is responsible for killing off the rest of the state lol.

:rosalina:

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Sax ****ing lived in Apopka forever.

Thats 10 minutes from orlando.

wtf
We live 30-40mins from orlando look it up. I lived next door to him.
Wtf your talking about. We have to pass through wekiva/ apopka, altamonte, and ****ing casselburry just to hit orlando wtf are you talking about lol.
This is not up for discussion. Its theyre opinion. Leave it alone. No one cares. Sfl wins that's nice idc I just told nova why. they think that. what I think is most of you arnt **** without mk. yet this game is **** so I really don't care because I'm sure if I playes mk for a bit id go in. But money isn't the reason why I play unlike most of you.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
1. we said orlando
2. Sax isn't orlando and never was
3. It was never door fee for orlando. We just never wanted to go. Its to far.

1) I know you said Orlando. I was talking about CFL altogether. CFL is not just Orlando.

2) I know SAX isn't Orlando and never was. Yet again, I was talking about CFL altogether. CFL is not just Orlando.

3) "It's too far" sounds like an excuse to me. Every event for me is more than an hour away yet if I have the chance to make it, I do. I can't say anything about "we just never wanted to go." That's all on them.

Sax ****ing lived in Apopka forever.

Thats 10 minutes from orlando.

wtf
Notice the only time I mention Orlando in a negative light was when I said most of them didn't go to their own tourney. Props to you, Jeff, Keith, Radix for going.

When I linked that vid, I was talking about a player from CFL, not just Orlando.

I love sfl..... cause they win. <3 also do well not in Florida lol.

Also can someone define playing lame?
Playing lame refers to a playing style in which one just mainly plays with either a keepaway style or a zoning style to the point where they never approach.

Some examples
SSFIV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rfOhaCX0A
MvC3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0iMenpnzBI&feature=related
3S - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ZNb5H2iMM
Melee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k
Brawl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s__s81HgLU&feature=related

I don't know where 'lame' and 'boring' come from lol. People love sfl videos and ask me about them a bunch. Winning alot means you have zero style? Lol
I don't have a problem with other people playing lame or boring against me. I just have a problem when people deny that they do play lame or boring. That's why I didn't get mad (lol at getting mad over a game) at SAX because he played a good way and owned up to his style of play. I can respect players not fighting in a fighting game.

I play anything but lame or boring. I leave the lameness for Call of Duty.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Most people in orlando don't want to play because of people playing lame. and you can say us not going is a excuse. But keep in mind smash is our life like most players here. Everyone talks about how they have social problems. Hmmm I wonder why. Going to miami ever month isn't worth a imaginary pr system. This is my opinion by the way. How is being on the prs beneficial? Yea its nice for people to talk about you. Don't get me wrong. But what dose that really mean? Do you see street fighter with prs? No because they know it dosnt mean ****. Its just a mere certification you obtain every couple months. dosnt gain you more money or get you better at all. Prs don't get you better. You get yourself better. Prs are a mind game, to inspire you to get you better. You don't really need it to get better at all.
Edit:I personally don't care though. I play when I feel like it. I travel when I don't have anything better to do. I don't really want to talk about it so I'm going to stop. So yup.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I didn't mention PRs and I agree with you about PRs not getting a player better directly. However, you can't speak for players who play just for the sole purpose of recognition. Sure there are players that play for money and there are players who just play because it's a fun thing to do but there are players who play to be the best. The only reason those players play for that long and still haven't reached that goal is because they want to be the best. They want that recognition for all their hard work and if and when that were to happen, their reason for playing has been justified. I'm one of those players, which is another reason why I'm so loved and appreciated in this community despite me not reaching the upper echelon level.

Also, I've been apart of and followed the FGC for a long time. Fighting games are my blood so you don't have to mention anything FGC related that I don't already know.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
I'm one of those players, which is another reason why I'm so loved and appreciated in this community despite me not reaching the upper echelon level.
What was the first reason(s) that people love and appreciate you? I checked the last few pages and saw no mention of prior reasons that the word "another" implies.

I'm one of those players, which is another reason why I'm so loved and appreciated in this community despite me not reaching the upper echelon level.
Did you mean to use a non-restrictive clause here?

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
What was the first reason(s) that people love and appreciate you? I checked the last few pages and saw no mention of prior reasons that the word "another" implies.
I'm a genuine and chill dude. I'm a great person to be around. Everyone that knows me can vouch for me on that. I didn't know I have to mention that since everyone in this community knows that.

Did you mean to use a non-restrictive clause here?
No but it could apply I guess. I feel that players that play for that reason are respected in that aspect for the most part.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Only reason i think SFL hurts us they haven't come to like the past 2-3 tournies in CFL where everyone else did. Seibrik came to some...but like...we need more tourneys Like DJBB for this scene to stay live. The reason CFL brawl is dead is competition. Mike quit, hrnut rarely gets to come out, jeff only comes if he feels like it, and GDX is always busy during the week but does to come to tournies. So that basically means we're relying on Other regions to bring hype aka tampa/gville. It's CFL lackadaisical attitude that it's dead.

I honestly have mad respect for tampa for consistently going everywhere and same to gville. I think **** would of died long ago if it weren't for them.

tl'dr we need to come together more. Idc what anyone says but everyone knows that **** at DJBB was hype bar the mishaps. That's exactly what we need.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
wah wah wah

yeah sfl likes to maximize its chances of winning WE'RE SO SORRY
That's cool that SFL likes to maximize their chance to win, not gonna blast them on that.

However, maximizing win probability in Brawl terms, in my opinion, kills the aspect of playing this game to learn. I believe that people that play this game love the game and have fun if they pursue it competitively. Especially Brawl, considering how poor this game is. When playing to learn becomes less of an importance to playing to win, that's when the community starts dying.

Believe it or not, some people actually play to learn, myself being one of them. It reflects in my "reckless" playstyle as well. I emphasize reckless because it's not so much as reckless as I have control over what I'm doing and I have a plan that I go through every match. Sure I want to win, everyone does. No one wants to lose. But when that desire to win overrides my playing to learn and forces me to play to win or even not to lose, at that point I know I no longer have fun with the game. The game, which we sometimes seem to forget what it is, has now become a job; a chore; a responsibility.

Now, one may bring up how is maximizing win probability any different in other games. This is subject for another discussion but I would like to bring up a conversation with Chris G, a top MvC3 and 3S player and competent player in SSFIV as well. He entered Brawl at CEO, for what reason I don't know. He didn't do so well either and I engaged him to see why he entered. What came from just asking him a simple question to why he entered became a lengthy conversation on his thoughts of the game and how it compares with some other games. He did not enjoy playing Brawl but it wasn't Brawl he was mad about. It was how the players played against him. I watched all his matches and he played with a surprising amount of understanding. Sure, he doesn't play the game competitively (he has played it before) so not everything he said was taken to heart but players camping him with projectiles and not approaching what is a slow character (he plays Ike at a lower level, we all know how good Ike can be with hard work but that's beside the point) was very frustrating for him. He even stated that MvC3, the game in which he made his mark, is a scrubby game but you can work around it despite it's flaws. The more skilled player wins more often than not in that game as opposed to Brawl and I agreed with him on that.

He didn't have to talk to me about his frustration with the game but he did and my respect for him grew tremendously. I begin to wonder why I continue to play this game when I share the same overall sentiment as he does. The difference is the time I put into this game. I don't want to make that time go to waste. I'm willing to deal with what I believe is a poor mindset for community growth for the betterment of myself and anyone who wants to help me along the way. With that said, I can not and will not speak for anyone else.

I mean no ill will in this post but that post just struck a nerve in me.

Top Bottom