• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCF Brawl in Orlando (Central Florida) + CFL PR Thread

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
that's cool that sfl likes to maximize their chance to win, not gonna blast them on that.

However, maximizing win probability in brawl terms, in my opinion, kills the aspect of playing this game to learn. I believe that people that play this game love the game and have fun if they pursue it competitively. Especially brawl, considering how poor this game is. When playing to learn becomes less of an importance to playing to win, that's when the community starts dying.

Believe it or not, some people actually play to learn, myself being one of them. It reflects in my "reckless" playstyle as well. I emphasize reckless because it's not so much as reckless as i have control over what i'm doing and i have a plan that i go through every match. Sure i want to win, everyone does. No one wants to lose. But when that desire to win overrides my playing to learn and forces me to play to win or even not to lose, at that point i know i no longer have fun with the game. The game, which we sometimes seem to forget what it is, has now become a job; a chore; a responsibility.

Now, one may bring up how is maximizing win probability any different in other games. This is subject for another discussion but i would like to bring up a conversation with chris g, a top mvc3 and 3s player and competent player in ssfiv as well. He entered brawl at ceo, for what reason i don't know. He didn't do so well either and i engaged him to see why he entered. What came from just asking him a simple question to why he entered became a lengthy conversation on his thoughts of the game and how it compares with some other games. He did not enjoy playing brawl but it wasn't brawl he was mad about. It was how the players played against him. I watched all his matches and he played with a surprising amount of understanding. Sure, he doesn't play the game competitively (he has played it before) so not everything he said was taken to heart but players camping him with projectiles and not approaching what is a slow character (he plays ike at a lower level, we all know how good ike can be with hard work but that's beside the point) was very frustrating for him. He even stated that mvc3, the game in which he made his mark, is a scrubby game but you can work around it despite it's flaws. The more skilled player wins more often than not in that game as opposed to brawl and i agreed with him on that.

He didn't have to talk to me about his frustration with the game but he did and my respect for him grew tremendously. I begin to wonder why i continue to play this game when i share the same overall sentiment as he does. The difference is the time i put into this game. I don't want to make that time go to waste. I'm willing to deal with what i believe is a poor mindset for community growth for the betterment of myself and anyone who wants to help me along the way. With that said, i can not and will not speak for anyone else.

I mean no ill will in this post but that post just struck a nerve in me.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
dtorr

playing to win is what matters when you're going to a tournament for money

it's okay to have a "play to learn" mentality (esp. in friendlies)

but that is what it is

a game isn't a game when it becomes a source of income

Master Raven

Smash Master
Dtorr, I don't have a problem with playing to learn. I think you and I may have the same definition on that saying. When I say sfl likes to maximize its chances of winning, I mean that some of us will utilize some of the most effective strategies that will increase our chances of winning a match. Whether it's "playing gay" or whatever is irrelevant. If playing really aggro was the best way to net a win in this game (and believe me I would love that), then that's the way I would play if I wanted to win. I basically agree with everything in your post. Sorry if my last one bothered you.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I play to have fun.

I'm not good enough to make money, and i have a hard time learning when i play.

It's a children's game. I find it fun.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
dtorr

playing to win is what matters when you're going to a tournament for money

it's okay to have a "play to learn" mentality (esp. in friendlies)

but that is what it is

a game isn't a game when it becomes a source of income
A game is always a game because it isn't a TRUE reliable source of income. Putting things to chance is never a reliable option but that's the risk we take as competitors. Sure, we all play for money in it's true sense as we put in money into a pot to be played for. However, there are many different goals people try to achieve while they participate in a tourney. For some, the ultimate goal is money. For others, it's for pure enjoyment. Then there are those who play for the sole purpose of being the best.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
it's not chance when it's a game of skill

my point was that it shouldn't be so surprising when you see players not "playing to learn" on the high-end

everything they should of/needed to learn came the weeks/months before the tournament in friendlies/analyzing vids/solo practice, etc. (or perhaps other tournaments)

unfortunately this means that there's not going to be as much aggression (b/c brawl doesn't really lend itself to that)

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
it's not chance when it's a game of skill

my point was that it shouldn't be so surprising when you see players not "playing to learn" on the high-end

everything they should of/needed to learn came the weeks/months before the tournament in friendlies/analyzing vids/solo practice, etc. (or perhaps other tournaments)

unfortunately this means that there's not going to be as much aggression (b/c brawl doesn't really lend itself to that)
That is true, but skill doesn't always get players to the end. Tourneys are grueling, especially bigger ones with more competition, so a little luck factor helps out as well.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that players would take the easy way out. No one wants to work. Players then become stagnated with what "they should of/needed to learn" instead of constantly improving and taking their game to the next level. That's what separates the good from the great and the great from the best.

Ay yo Gallax, why the troll face? If you're implying that Geoff and I hate each other's guts, then you're mistaken. Just having a simple debate.

<3 TruMoney :027:

Exdeath

Smash Master
I think that Shadow vs. Salem is a good example of how playing to win at high level play can still be entertaining and not focused on keep away.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I think he's implying that the whole SFL discussion was of his one troll comment(it was actually Jeff though lol)

I think it was interesting discussion though. Worth it

:rosalina:

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
of course there's gonna be the x-factor (troll) in tourneys (but being more skilled is gonna give you a better chance of course)

there's a quote by mark twain about the most skilled swordsman not having to worry about the 2nd most skilled. but he does have to worry about someone who's never even picked up a sword

i don't see playing "lame" (aka trying to bring your percentage chance to win up to as high as possible) as taking the "easy" way out. it's just the most correct thing to do if you're trying to win. of course we've previously discussed the diff's b/w playing to win and playing to not lose but that's a totally diff. talk

this is of course just a simple debate b/w friends

gallax is a ****bird

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I think that Shadow vs. Salem is a good example of how playing to win at high level play can still be entertaining and not focused on keep away.
I don't necessarily think thtat keepaway playstyles are a bad thing. Every competitive fighter has characters focused on keepaway tactics. In most of them, when you get past the obstacles they layed out for you, you get rewarded with a chance for a hard punish. Case in point, Dhalsim is a great keepaway character. He has all the tools to keep opponents out. However, once he messes up, he is at the mercy of his opponent.

That doesn't exist in Brawl minus a few characters or unless the zoner has high percentage. That I have a problem with but I have to live with that and adjust myself to the game.

:phone:

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
According to Ramone:

There is a brawl tournament at the campus Dominos on Thursday. First place is $50. Anyone down for easy money? Register online or before 7pm tomorrow... I think.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
Fellas, do any of you know any smashers in Virginia?

I'm going to a conference for a couple days in Richmond and was hoping to get some gaming in during the off hours.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why not. Just walk in like you own the place.

Oh but everyone should keep in mind that Gamestop is running this. Probably gonna be 2min 4man Free-For-Alls with items and damage set to 2x. Random stages and maybe random characters haha.

Totally different game unless you are experienced with it...
like Radix, Nova and me ;D

edit: registration link
http://www.esagaming.com/?p=1224

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Kay.

Kyon, do i have to drive to kissimee to getcha?

You'll have to gimme the mad hookup on gas money.
I def plan on ****** here.

So hype.

Kyon, let's win and buy pizza.

Also, i have to work at 11:30p.

Top Bottom