• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UC Norcal Crew Battle II *Thank you for playing*

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
RESULTS: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~smash/events/fall2007/ucnorcal2-results.html
VIDEOS: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~smash/events/fall2007/ucnorcal2-vids.html

ORIGINAL POST:
The Smash Brothers Club at UC Berkeley, the Super Smash Bears, is hosting the UC Norcal Crew Battle II.

DETAILS:
Date: October 27th
Registrations/Warmups: 12:00 noon
Crew Battle: 1:00 pm
Singles: After the crew battles
Place: UC Berkeley Campus, Dwinelle Hall room 242
Housing: Availiable at least for UC Davis
Number of people per crew: At least 7 (10 is ideal)
Schools attending: UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, UC Davis
Format: Round Robin
Rules: Kish Rules

For more details, visit http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~smash/events/fall2007/ucnorcal2.html .

Things we need to know:
We have decided that after the crew battle, it might be fun to do a singles tournament. What we want to decide right now is if that tournament should be free or paid and how much the cost should be. If any UC objects (not including Berkeley), we'll just make it a free tournament.
Secondly, what kind of pizza do you guys want and how many people are you guys bringing? We need an estimate of how many pizzas to buy and of what kinds.

If you are interested, I will check this thread regularly so please post a response. We also have a website at http://smash.berkeley.edu . The best way to contact us is either through this forum, our own forums, or our email on our website ( smashbears@gmail.com ).

Thank you for your time and have a great semester/quarter/etc.

juzz87

Smash Apprentice
I'm from UC Merced, and we have a bunch of players out here. I think there would be decent interest in something like this. Just need more concrete details.

hugQ Cortex

Master
Right, because UC students are clearly better than the rest of us.

;)
:( We never said UC students are better. We will most likely extend our invitation to the other schools once we've become pro at organizing events on a larger scale. :)

Edit: ****it Jay, we're probably getting flamed because of your ******** comment.

_glook

Nealdt: No, I love you (in a distant, hopefully non-creepy way)! Please don't hate us! (Btw, the auto-save function on tio saved my life.)

juzz87: That's totally awesome, we were worried we might not be able to get a hold of Merced.
Yeah, we've got a hold of Santa Cruz and (don't quote me on this) but I believe they said they could bring at least 10 people. UC Davis went to the first UC Norcal Crew battle (which was really just Berkeley vs Davis, but we like to think of it as a "Norcal faceoff" ;) ), so hopefully we can contact them within the next few days and hopefully get them to come as well.

Like it said in the post we'd like to do late October, if that works for you guys. What I failed to mention in the post is we only have the rooms on campus reserved for Saturdays, so we'd need to do it on Saturday. The best possible date for us (due to logistics and midterms) is October 27th, and we'd probably start at 11 or 12 (again, negotiable). It would be ideal for you guys to bring at least 7 people, although we can negotiate that too if that's a problem.

I'm going to go ahead and send you my AIM account in PM so we can talk in real time. Thanks for your response.

Edit: I probably won't be on tonight though.

Fullmetal X

Smash Rookie
UC Santa Barbara is Norcal? What lies
I don't think most people really know where SoCal ends and NorCal begins but Santa Barbara is definitely in a position where it's not quite certain. I personally thought of it as SoCal but for the sake of this Crew Battle (and as away to start getting SoCal Crews interested) we'll probably just consider it NorCal.

_glook

Also, I didn't mention this in the first post but I talked to some of the other guys and to keep with the spirit of things, I think we should keep only current students (undergrad and grad) participating. I'm not sure putting alumni into the crew battles would keep with the spirit of things.

juzz87

Smash Apprentice
Another thing you might wanna look into is getting a place to crash for the night. I mean, Davis is only like 30 min away (right?) but other campuses are more than a few hours. Driving a few hours after a long day of smash can get tiring.

Just mentioning as something to think about when hosting a tourny that people have to travel to.

juzz87

Smash Apprentice
Ok then either I was speeding like a madman or I lost track of time. But yea, same deal.

Ininja we played friendlies at the modesto tournament right? you played that fox against jmic? good matches.

_glook

Housing? That's a good point if you guys are a few hours away. Plus, I'm sure some of the guys on campus wouldn't mind having a few smashers smashing until late at night :p.

If that's the case though, people who want to stay are going to have to bring sleeping bags and such. And this means we DEFINITLY need a head count of people coming. I know we can't have anyone sleep on campus but each dorm has general rooms on each floor and we can ask anyone in the dorms if they can arrange for people to sleep in those general rooms just for Saturday night (possibly Friday if you guys really need it).

We HAVE contact with Santa Cruz as of now but they said they'll need a little time to get stuff started (their school year hasn't started yet) but they should be organized in a bit. UC Merced, feel free to contact me tonight through AIM (or even at the SFSU this Saturday, I think I saw a post of yours in that that thread and most of the Smash Bears committee members are going to it). I've been waiting for UC Davis to get on AIM so I can talk to our contact from last time, but he hasn't gotten on yet, so I'll keep waiting on AIM for now.

Again the details are this so far:
Date: October 27th
Time: 12:00 noon
Place: UC Berkeley Campus
Housing: Pending
Number of people per crew: At least 7 (10 is ideal)
Crews possibly attending: UC Berkeley, UC Merced, UC Santa Cruz
Still need contact from: UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara(possibly Socal), UC San Fransisco (lol)
Format: Round Robin
Rules: Under discussion

Again, don't be limited by the 10 is ideal part. The more the merrier after all and we WILL have freeplay TVs for people to come and just play people from other schools. However, this means we WILL need a headcount to prepare housing, TVs/Cubes, and cheap food in bulk.

Feel free to post, PM, or IM me all tonight. I'll be checking back periodically today.

_glook

Actually, Vans, the first "UC Norcal Crew Battle" was between UC Berkeley and UC Davis, so there are definitly more Davis smashers. And I know Scamp is a Davis alum.

I'll talk to the others about the state schools joining in. May be fun :).

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
who are you vans? i've been gathering all the competitive smashers in davis for like a year now (although most don't play consistently). I even have a facebook group called davis smash crew... Join IT NAO!

_glook

Ixninjax, are you Michael from last time? Are you up for coming to this? I haven't been able to contact Davis on AIM yet, and I won't be on tomorrow either.

It'd be great to get Davis to come to this again. It was great fun last time, please try and come again. And this time, there will be many more people (at least that's what it looks like). It'd be nice for all the crews from the first one (lol, all two of them), to come back to the 2nd.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
Ixninjax, are you Michael from last time? Are you up for coming to this? I haven't been able to contact Davis on AIM yet, and I won't be on tomorrow either.

It'd be great to get Davis to come to this again. It was great fun last time, please try and come again. And this time, there will be many more people (at least that's what it looks like). It'd be nice for all the crews from the first one (lol, all two of them), to come back to the 2nd.
no im ericson (the fox player), i'll see if i can get some ppl to go.

VANS

Smash Ace
o wow really? well im a freshman at davis so i didnt kno xD im moving in on sunday...we should meet and play =D and i'd like to go to this tournament

gongbomb

Smash Cadet
Hey, Ericson and I could probably rally some people again. I couldn't come last time, but I should definitely be free for this one. I'm at Davis too, and it shouldn't be too bad taking the train to Berkeley. We'll just need to know where to go after the train. Hey Vans, are you on the GSC? Where are you staying? We'll try to get in contact with you, but join that facebook group Ericson talked about.

_glook

Sweet, I'm glad this is getting off the ground. Do you davis guys need housing too?

Ixninja, are you the really good fox that was at the first one? I remember a good fox player.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
Sweet, I'm glad this is getting off the ground. Do you davis guys need housing too?

Ixninja, are you the really good fox that was at the first one? I remember a good fox player.
i think that you're talkin about me, i play a kinda technical fox. Also, i was wearin a beanie and a sf jacket.

Odin916

Smash Rookie
Mind letting all of us "lower tier" higher education schools know when you guys will be accepting people from JC's? I feel so left out >_<.

Though it wouldn't make sense for me to ask anyways, since I don't know anyone here, new to the forums, I have no transportation of my own, etc. It would be nice to know still so us lower college students can join in some good smash that is currently discriminatory. :)

VANS

Smash Ace
i wish i went to santa cruz..............and DAVIS PPL!!! i just moved in today. and i want to smash. lol

_glook

Well, it's not that we're purposely trying to be mean or anything but we just thought it would be cool to vs some other UC schools (get a little inter-UC rivalry going on :) ) and we simply don't have the capacity as a club yet (we've only OFFICIALLY been a club for about a year now and we're just now getting really organized). Although, if we do more of these, I think naturally we'd expand it to other schools.

Of course, if you just want to smash and meet people, we have biweeklies at Berkeley too. We try and hold them on non-NCB days (so anybody from Berkeley who wants to go to SJSU or SFSU can go if they want to without missing a Berkeley biweekly can go). We don't hold paid tournaments at these biweeklies though (as of yet) to encourage new people to participate and to generally give a more relaxed atmosphere (we typically hold a paid tournament only once per semester and we try to make it a bigger deal than a biweekly). Typically, the turnout is mostly Berkeley students but we've had other people, such as from San Fransisco and even a Davis alumnus show up.

If you've seen the main pacific west page, however, UC Merced is starting up biweekly paid tournaments so that's another option besides SJSU, SFSU, or UCB to go to on your Saturdays.

Odin916

Smash Rookie
Yeah, gotcha. I was joking for the most part, since I don't consider myself of any competent smash caliber, just a casual gamer that thinks melee is overall a fun game to play and meet new people. Nice to see you guys are up and running with an event that people can join. Wish you guys the best of luck with the success of these events.

Top Bottom