• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uber controller for SSBM?

Paix

Smash Apprentice
I was looking at the 'Gamecube Control Pad Pro' pad here: http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=65

It says that it features "programmable macros for sophisticated moves". I was just thinking of all the posibilities!

Here's some I thought of that you could program:

.Waveshining

.Super Wavedashing with Samus. That'd be pretty cool to pull it off numerous times in a match lol.

.Moonwalking

.Ice Climber's chaingrabs

.Chaingrabs

I'm sure there's many others. I'm also not sure how the macro programming thing works (since I've not got the pad/know anyone with one), so I'm sorry if these aren't possible with the pad. Unless it doesn't include analog movement in the macros, though, I don't see any reason as to why they can't work.

Anyway. What do you all think of this pad? And wether it can provide any useful techniques or make some stuff far easier and quicker etc. If it proves to be useful, I might get one. :)

Thanks - Paix

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i think it means it inputs several buttons at a time.. probably not timed

also this would definitely be banned from tourneys

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
i think it means it inputs several buttons at a time.. probably not timed

also this would definitely be banned from tourneys
DEFINITELY. Also, if you show up to a tournament with a madkatz controller, you might be laughed right back out... And if nobody else did, I would :D!

Also, 200 posts lol

~P

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it sounds like something you'd use to 'master' street fighters with. And Madcatz... bad experiences with them. Actually bad experiences with all 3rd party controllers. Don't buy into their advertisements so easily, usually the controllers are worse than nintendo's.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
The Madcatz controller may be acceptable for more leisurely games, but for something as demanding as SSBM, it can only get in the way.

First off, the whole interface is EXTREMELY STIFF.

Wavedashes, l-cancels, or just playing in general will cause your joints, fingers, and wrists to ache. It requires an unnecessary amount of effort just to input commands.

Secondly, unlike Nintendo controllers, they don't "break in,"

(as in loosening up and getting easier and more comfortable use...think: running shoes you've had for awhile)

they simply...break...

The buttons, especially the shoulder buttons will get caught and make the controller unusable.

Another serious flaw is the shape, I simply do not find it ergonomic at all because after using it for a bit, the angle at which the grip is created makes it extremely distracting to perform any basic tech. It honestly feels like I'm playing claw even when I'm not.

Another disadvantage is that a Nintendo controller costs just the same amount as one of these bargain bin waste of time.

Finally, once it breaks, you'll have to get another Madcatz controller and play into their monopoly or spend extra time trying to get used to original controller. I started off with one of these monstrosities and after finally getting a Nintendo one, I had to re-learn wavedashing because it felt so different.

Do yourself a favor and get a Nintendo one, even used ones are better than a new Madcatz controller.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The Madcatz Microcon (Wired) Is the best possible controller other than the fact that it only has a life expectancy of a few months.

The smaller design is perfect for players with average sized hands, and smaller hands for girls/younger/shorter people.

The better rumble pack is amazing for those players who love rumble.

I've owned three of these and I've never had "stiff" buttons.

studly

Smash Ace
The Madcatz Microcon (Wired) Is the best possible controller other than the fact that it only has a life expectancy of a few months.
CONTRADICTION! the best possible controler would fit everyones hands perfectly, never have sticky buttons, would allready be broke in, and last forever!

LLDL

Smash Hero
No controller but the original is good for melee

fusionnoble

Smash Cadet
I think that the micron is way too small... <.<

As everyone else seems to think, I like the original Nintendo ones :p

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try out the N64 controller on Melee tonight. I've got it working great on Brawl, but I had to change a couple buttons (C -> Jump; R [N64's L] -> Taunt)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
You can't program control-stick macros with those controllers, btw.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I use to use it not for smash, but while smash was out.

You cannot program controller stick, R/L or Cstick I believe.

Also It inputs the buttons very quickly. What you have to do in order to space out presses is input extra ones and hope that there isnt a buffering system that will accept all of those.

ITs only good if there is a move or combo in a fighting game.

There also seemed to be a slight delay when it was macroing, but you can still input controller direction which affects the button pressing.

POSSIBLY A FREE SHORTHOP BUTTON. nothing more since melee doesnt have haduken like inputs.

BEES

Smash Lord
Is this thing any good? I like the diamond button layout on it. I'd be willing to get one and slap a GC adapter on it if it's not banned in tournaments.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Is this thing any good? I like the diamond button layout on it. I'd be willing to get one and slap a GC adapter on it if it's not banned in tournaments.

As long as it's not performance-enhancing (e.g autofire/etc).

Top Bottom